1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

If you want precise population figures then every region on Old World Blues has one.

2. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I was glad to see Overgirl looks as though she's going to be OK. And, even, accepts hugs!

For some reason I was reminded, today, of a (female) super called 'Uberwench'. Written-up in the 1980s, I think, this heroically-built lady was strong, tough, flew, and highly charismatic. Was not a fan of dictators, or right-wing governments. Wore a radio set, then filed flight-plans, and followed them, for the amusement of it. And, did her best to have a good time.

(You're probably not interested, but I think she was of Prussian/Romani ancestry, and her father didn't get to say much about her conception...)

Yes, she was nothing like as tough as Overgirl, but, I think we need more heroes like that. :)

3. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

So much for not killing Krona to avoid sending him to his death God friends.

Vorian, topin89, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  4. Ace Dreamer

It is possible that the local reality, there, does not support souls at all, or, gives them no choice what happens after death (straight back on the reincarnation wheel?). A universe which does not support access by someone like Nekron might well be something possible for the Krona-disposal squad to find.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nekron may not be able to reach Krona if he died in another universe that is not somehow connected to the DC universe.

6. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

The first is Zatanna speaking, the other is the SI’s narration. Unless Zatanna is making a mess of the pronunciation, there’s a typographical error.

Edit: that’s OL in the next snippet.

Chojin Patriarch and Ardy like this.
  7. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Nekron is the embodiment of entropy isn't it?

Darko likes this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

More the embodiment of emotional death and suicidal thoughts.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat was Eros Paul one of the versions that was kidnapped by Krona?

Fellow and Ardy like this.
  10. Ace Dreamer

Of course not! Eros Paul was captured by NSFW Krona. :)

11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That would be the Time Trapper, in DC.

While in Blackest Night Nekron is equated to death, since it was also stated that he existed before life came to exist, I would label him the absence of life rather.

12. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Time Trapper is Nostalgia.

Why else would he brother to create pocket universes were Superboy Clark Kent exists?

That's also why he never wins.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

I should not have googled that.
    Darn it. I don't remember where his name was written in the comics, and the comic websites can't agree whether it's 'Ondaate', 'Ondaatie' or 'Ondaatje'.

[A few moments later]

[​IMG]

Okay, I think I got them. Let me know if you see any more.
    In canon, something like that. However, his exact nature hasn't been established in this story.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat was Glorious Godfrey McCarthys priest?

Was rereading some of the first posts on SB and saw a mention of this.

This would explain some of the things that that paranoid lunatic did, he was influenced by a god of propaganda.

Though I'm pretty sure Godfrey didn't have to do that much to make McCarthy as he was, a paranoid nutjob.

IsActuallyBatman and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Ace Dreamer

You must be in a really weird 'filter bubble', or something?

Apart from the Urban Dictionary definition, even if I switch to Images all I get to see is some marginal belly dancing. Maybe some (male-to-female) cross-dressing.

But, I don't login to Google unless something forces me to, certainly not before doing a search, so, don't know what effect that might have. Google can be strange... I try not to feed it too much...

Ardy likes this.
  16. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

I should probably point out to everyone crying 'bull' that Mr Zoat never actually said that the emotional spectrum didn't exist in the universe Krona got sent to. He just said that physics was different.

Ardy and Darko like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Yes.
    I can't turn off my Safe Search, so I rarely get pleasant surprises. I got a 'larger boned' woman in a belly dancing outfit.

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Pity you focused on the wrong thing.

Because you might have almost had a point otherwise, see I never said it was the WMD label I was objecting to, because it wasn't, it was the comparison to Cerebro, you know the thing that is planetary scale.

19. Idkusername

A) You don’t make a mention of Cerebro anywhere in your post.
    B) you explicitly drew parallels between the scale of the weapon and the size of settlements in Fallout.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And?

Actually I separated those two things.

21. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

You kinda didn't, I can see where it would get confusing.
    Without making explicit reference to Cerebro the logical conclusion would be to assume you were referring to the scale of the weapons and the size of fallout towns. It would make more sense to say "and keep in mind Cerebro affects the entire planet"

Unless sentence structure is different where you're from.

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Idkusername

English... English never changes.

23. Threadmarks: Duplication (part 24)
    Mr Zoat

Homeward
    Bound

"Thundercats?"

"Sort of. Most of the characters look different-. I can recognise most of them-"

I nod.

"-but the specifics have changed. And what little I remember of the setting appears to have been radically altered as well. What I'm living in actually makes a good deal more sense."

"How are you charging your ring?"

He raises his right hand, the two additional rings he acquired mid-fight having been returned to their owners.

"Something about the magic of Mumm-Ra's sword allows me to connect to the yellow light directly, if I meditate on my fears for long enough." He looks at me hopelessly. "I don't suppose you've got a spare yellow personal lantern lying around, have you?"

I shake my head.

"I hired the Qwardian who made Sinestro's lantern, but I haven't asked him to make me spares."

"Damn it."

He looks down, shaking his head.

"I don't know where Krona put the sword. Without it, my ring will die. I haven't spent any time learning their languages." He looks over to where Guardian Stewart and Commander Gordon are studying the tuning fork on this side, a version of me who thought that stapling wings onto his back was clever flying through the portal back to his Earth. "I'll have to ask if they've got a spare gold ring they can give me."

"I'd offer you an orange one, but I left both of mine back on my Earth." I shrug, holding up my ringless hands slightly. "Sorry." He nods. "Stupid thing is, I can make personal lanterns, too."

He looks up, frowning. "What? That's something we can do?"

"Yes. Ah, I haven't made a good one so far, but it would work."

"Damn. I didn't even try that. I just assumed that it was impossible. How exactly-?"

"Yellow!"

Time Trapper me walks towards us.

"Your turn!"

He nods. "You haven't found a sword, have you?"

"No, but fortunately I'm a massively skilled expert in temporal manipulation, which means-" He sticks out his right hand, and-. Suddenly there's a huge sword in it. "-it was in my hand in the future all along. Here."

Time Trapper hands it to Yellow, who takes it and scans it with his ring before nodding.

"Do I thank you for finding it or curse you for hiding it?"

"Most societies don't have good vocabulary for dealing with paradoxes. Though technically this stopped being a paradox as soon as I handed it to you." He looks up. "John!"

"Ah…" Yellow looks at me, clearly not quite sure what to say. "No offence meant, but let's not do this again."

"Probably for the best."

Guardian Stewart gestures and the hole above the tuning fork shifts, from Earth to another world entirely.

"Well… Goodbye."

He turns and flies, accelerating until he passes through the portal entirely.

"Thundercats. I wondered if we were limited to comics, but it sounds like we could end up anywhere."

He nods. "Do you have a moment?"

"Do I have a moment… For an expert in temporal manipulation?"

He looks away, smiling. "Yes, I-. Did you know that I'm you?"

I stare.

"No, that… Genuinely never occurred to me, given how we look completely different."

"No, not-. Most of those others were… Versions of us that ended up in different places after the event. I'm not. We're not."

"Okay, then… What are we?"

"We're separated by an alteration in the timeline. Vandal Savage went back, and… Long story short, you got erased, I got created, then I restored your timeline."

"Ah, thank.. you..? That seems out of character for us."

He shakes his head. "My temporality was unstable. It would have collapsed eventually. This way I got a chance to recreate it, to change things-."

"If you're planning on changing time back-."

"No. If it would work, I'd do it. We both know that. It wouldn't work. Time won't allow it. Even…" He looks around. "Here, pseudo time can't support that much space. No, Krona-."

"Took your plan to an extreme when you tried to get his help."

He frowns. "Something like that. How did you guess?"

"The one of us who freed you?" I pull an orange power ring out of my pocket and slide it onto my left ring finger. "He picked up a third ring. And downloaded images of you cooperating with Krona from a Manhunter. Sensible fellow."

He looks away, shaking his head. "You'd think a Guardian would practise basic data security."

"So. What now?"

"So I use the tuning fork and the similarities and.. differences between us to create… Do you remember 'hypertime'?"

"I remember the name."

"Essentially, I change the-. The parallel universe cluster we all exist in so that time changes beyond a certain level create a new timeline, rather than erasing the old one. Both our timelines will exist, and we can both go home."

"What's the risk?"

"I could horribly fuck up all of everything. Particularly if you try and stop me." He exhales. "I was hoping that you wouldn't have a ring."

So he could present me with a fait accompli.

"And what happens if I help you?"

"I-. That… Might make things easier. Certainly… Safer. Would-? Would you?"

"Of course." I shrug. "You're only doing what I'd do in your place."

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  24. david

david Getting sticky.

And that's why you always ask for help from the sane....from the moderately trustworthy non-supervillains first.

25. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

Paul exercising terrible judgement as usual.

26. Idkusername

Skewed priorities, more like.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

MASSIVE FUCK UP APPROACHING!

DANGER! DANGER! WILL ROBINSON! RUN FOR COVER!

How does Time Trapper look exactly if Paul didn't recognize him as an alternate version?

28. david

david Getting sticky.

He can either help a version of himself, the closest thing to family he has, save their family and universe, or he can try to stop it and further risk the entire multiverse.

29. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

THIS is one of the key reasons I love this fic so much. OL is just so sensible [apart from when he's being dense and clueless, of course]. I think this part needs a Dept of Common Sense logo.

30. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Taking all bets, folks, taking all bets.

How is this going to get screwed up?

I have "summons the anti-monitor" at even odds, "fuses all Paul-timelines into one mega-world" at 1:10, "Argel Tal wrecks the experiment as part of a Tzeetchian Time Loop, scattering the Paul's across the multiverse retroactively and opening the way for Chaos to spread across the local multiversal cluster" at 100:1, and "Grayven shows up" at 1 in 3