1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. litaispe

litaispe -

Nah, typically with COVID-19 you don't have fluid-filled lungs.

The lungs basically seize-up and stop working. One of the reasons there are basically no therapeutic treatment options.

me-meboi and MerelysSoul like this.
  2. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

As in, more like someone holding a pillow over your face until you asphyxiate, rather than pushing your head into the bathtub until you drown.

I consider that something of a lateral move, where the 'horrible deaths tier list' is concerned.

3. litaispe

litaispe -

On the topic of Sweden, they are getting the economic implosion since all their neighbors are also economically imploding and the EU is still stuck on the whole 'debt is bad' and refusing a Euro-wide recovery program, and Sweden's unexpected death stats are hell-bad. And those are lagged by 2-3 weeks!

Have you see that increasing numbers of COVID-19 survivors are suffering low-oxygen derived systemic organ damage?

COVID-19 appears to impact oxygen absorption in the lungs, but the exhaling reflex is derived from high CO2, not low O2. Which makes it apparently "non-symptomatic" even for individuals with impacted health.

Yup.

Germtheory3Z and MerelysSoul like this.
  4. mishie

mishie Experienced.

What's also interesting is the fact that even without the lockdown, people are choosing to isolate in Sweden, so they've ended up with the fascinating result of both increased deaths, whilst still fucking the economy.

5. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

Lots of death also fucks the economy, but a lot of people seem to not realize that. People on lockdown will eventually contribute to the economy again. Dead people won't. The slump caused by lockdown can be recovered from much more quickly and easily than a slump caused by mass death.

6. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Being incredibly blunt for a minute? Not so much an issue with this disease. The number of dead working adults we'd get if everyone caught this disease would be negligible.

And the elderly aren't net contributors to the economy, anymore. From a utilitarian point of view, there are a lot of benefits in terms of lessening the burden of social programs and freeing up real estate that will likely counter the economic damage from their deaths, given how few of them are in the workforce.

Of course, I'd prefer we not do that... but I can see where a sociopath might approve.

7. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

... hahahahahaha. No. As I've repeatedly mentioned before, it doesn't work that way.

Stop thinking of death and recovery as a binary thing. A significant portion of the people who survive have -- and will have -- long-term problems as a result. Here: a virologist talking about his experience with COVID... and just what "survival" means. And then there's shit like this.

The economic damage in the case you're talking about would be horrific.

8. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Less than a fragment of a percent, thus far, most of whom are already on the older side. Admittedly, that's going to total in the thousands by the time this is over.

Yeah... so significant that your own article isn't even willing to say conclusively that it's COVID-related at this point.

9. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

... well. We'd better hope the 'significant portion' is not so 'significant' after all, because remember, odds are most of us will catch this sooner or later. Again, for the most part the objective of the lockdowns is to stall and slow down the contagion, not to stop it. With a vaccine a year or two away at best, in the really long term 'never getting it at all' may not be a choice for most people.

If a really wide chunk of those who contract this now or months from now display that amount of longterm damage, that might bring unpredictable amounts of damage to mankind all across the globe.

This is a fucking weird kind of 'optimist'.

What the fuck does he expect us to do if a vaccine is never found then?

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    me-meboi and TanaNari like this.
  10. MadGreenSon

Hope for the best, even if "the best" is kinda weird and prepare for the worst, right?

11. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Oxford has already begun a trial run of its vaccine (which is already proven effective in animals) with its first 500 human recipients.

The advantage to this disease over most others is that this is a SARS variant, and the vast majority of the research was completed years ago. We could have had this vaccine in 2015 if people learned their fucking lesson after the last three SARS outbreaks.

Oh well, nothing can be done about that, now... all the biotech researchers have to do now is finish the last couple steps and hope nobody complains too much about it being a half decade overdue.

12. Germtheory3Z

Germtheory3Z Experienced.

The meme is amusing, but to the point I'm really not impressed by the history of rushed government reactions to anything.

On principle I'd agree it's plausible that lacking other known safe treatments for something could push a ~40% effective treatment down to 10%, but anyone pointing to something that only saves one in ten of the people they use it on isn't going to have much help convincing me to go along with that. Witch doctors could have 10% of people survive after doing whatever the fuck they do and claim it's a wild success. IIRC ventilators are high pressure things that damage the lungs by default and people are switching to gentler sleep apnea devices already.

Fair enough, tell your friends and relatives. Most stores sell something of varying quality and you can order some good stuff online.

I use He/Him pronouns, no need to hedge like this is SV.

For whatever it's worth to you I do read the links, eventually. If it's a hundred page total in one day it's not happening right away but I'll try to at least scan everything and find the abstracts, methods and conclusions if I don't have the time for a proper reading.

My general objection is that a lot, if not most, of the people who rise up in academia and who're arguing here turn their intelligence to finding reasons to agree with the existing consensus. I find that unimpressive, because obviously there were a lot of very smart people who agreed witches should be burned and read up on reasons in the bible, but that's not a reason they're wrong about everything. Broken clocks are right once a day and when they are it's so much easier to go along with them than to keep trying to convince them they're wrong.

13. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

The consensus is that plagues like this can be deadly and disruptive if not handled correctly.

The thing is, if we handle it correctly, then it won't seem like a big deal.

As an adult, you need to be able to figure out how to prevent bad things which you personally haven't experienced.

Teenagers take what seem to be obviously dumb risks because they lack that capability.

Don't behave like a dumb teenager. Behave like a responsible adult in a civilization which has seen many plagues.

Witch trails seem like a great example of mob mentality, not usually associated with "very smart people" nor academics. They would be their time's equivalent of conspiracy theorists.

The other figures behind witch trials were powerful political opportunists who misdirected angry mobs into murdering innocent people so the powerful opportunist could confiscate the victim's possessions. Most times you see a demagogue stirring you up to get angry, that's what your signing up for. It's not a good look.

Gosh, if only we had some method which could be used to sort out the truth value of claims.

If only someone would find that method and make a science of it.

Oh, lots of educated academics know about it?

Not your YouTube cult guru?

Gosh, how odd.

14. MadGreenSon

I think the one about Japan's suicide rate is very sad.

15. mishie

mishie Experienced.

Holy shit you're actually dumb enough to go with an argument stupid enough to be on Always Sunny, so just to save everyone else some time, I'll just post the rest of it:

What a truly amazing argument against all things Scientific, that because some random people did stupid shit in the past, you're now free to totally just ignore any and all evidence (but obviously not the random articles that you find). Amazing.

16. evildice

The articles he finds aren't random, though.

They're fed to him by an algorithm, which was programmed by its creator through Intelligent Design.

17. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

The important thing to keep in mind is, all scientific thought is fallible, no matter how well reasoned it may look at the time a postulate is formulated.

I don't think any side has a fully solid claim to 'correct handling' of this crisis since we still know far too little about the virus' capacity to affect us in a long term, and in a war of attrition against contemporary societies, the virus' capacity to stay around far outdoes that of the human species to adjust to a model of living that is impossible to keep in a long run, especially for the less economically blessed countries where most of the planet's population resides.

The virus is, frankly, more adaptable than us. With that in mind, I don't think any side should throw too much weight on the other where it comes to strategy development-- catastrophe may be lurking, one way or another, behind every door and along every path, maybe all of them at once but in different degrees. We have no real way of knowing which path would end up being the most disastrous in the long run.

me-meboi and alethiophile like this.
  18. mishie

mishie Experienced.

Yeah you're right, nobody knows what the 'correct handling' is, even though multiple countries like Australia and New Zealand reacted quickly and have pretty much totally beaten it. Truly an impossible conundrum.

19. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Antarctica beat the Wuhan Flu so thoroughly that it still hasn't seen even a single case of infection, for the same reasons taken to the furthest possible extreme.

Countries with very low population density and pretty much the worst weather coronavirus can still spread in are obviously going to have a much easier time of winning the battle... nature handed them the victory on a platter and all they had to do was not fuck it up.

Most parts of the world aren't that lucky.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  20. mishie

mishie Experienced.

Yeah I've already gone over all that bullshit earlier, Australia is a country which has almost all of it's population in less that ten cities, we have constant traffic and tourism from China and other Asian countries, and to top it all off we had a complete fuckup of the handling of a cruise ship full of infected people arriving right at the start. And as for weather, are you honestly trying to say that there's no other countries that are in the southern hemisphere like Australia and New Zealand which had similar weather? Because that's the sort of ignorance I'd expect from germtheory.

21. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

"Like Australia and New Zealand?" No... no there are no other comparable countries due to the fact that the bulk of the southern hemisphere are basically Third World nations... they can't even get rid of the goddamn measles.

But if you look at the trackers, Africa is also doing pretty well in terms of its numbers. Africa... which, it deserves to be noted, has fifty times the population of Australia (as well as around 4 times the land, but only 3 count since the Sahara desert is nigh uninhabitable and bigger than Australia) and I'm not even gonna guess how much worse poverty, healthcare services, government corruption/incompetence, several ongoing civil wars, and all the other things I forgot which make Africa an utter shithole. Most of which make it easy for diseases to spread unchecked.

https://www.bing.com/covid/local/southafrica?form=C19ANS

For a continent that has *nothing* resembling a plan for *anything*, Africa's numbers are exceedingly low. Especially Madagascar, which might wind up being the first country in the world to be able to (honestly) claim it has eliminated all cases.

The only explanations are either that African cultures are exceedingly enochlophobic, they have some magical advantage due to all the other plagues training their immune systems, or that the climate is saving their collective asses. No points for guessing which one.

Now... South America (which is more comparable to Africa than Australia in terms of social and economic conditions) is getting pretty thoroughly hammered. Probably because, while it's a very warm climate (which coronaviruses don't do all that well in), it is also a very wet climate (which coronaviruses thrive in).

The cooler and wetter climates of Western Europe and the parts of the USA with large populations are where cornaviruses usually do best for themselves... and all current empirical evidence supports this one being no different in that regard.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    shadowking514 and Coffeexy like this.
  22. mishie

mishie Experienced.

And then you've also got Iran, which whilst being a hot and dry country was one of the first to start digging mass graves. So yes, I do agree that climate can have a minor effect on spread, there's a far larger effect on it by having a population and government that react quickly and react well to it.

23. aquinas

aquinas I trust you know where the happy button is?

Or, South Africa has a comparatively functional medical establishment as compared to say Nigeria, and is implementing something resembling a testing regime as the most modern state in the region, instead of speed burying the bodies as soon as the patients' hearts stop?

As I read in the Sunday news this morning -_-

Edit: here's a link

24. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

It... really isn't... yes, there are certainly parts of Iran that are terribly arid (and more than a few frigid mountainous wastelands), the bulk of the people live in areas with comfortable mild weather along the Mediterranean and Caspian seas, with climate more comparable to Spain than Africa. Which is *also* where the bulk of the Iran cases have been cropping up... the numbers are much lower inland, where the climate becomes hell.

https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/iran

At least, up to this point in the year. Now... once July and August roll around, the region gets a whole lot less comfortable, but during the spring, it's basically an ideal breeding ground for Coronavirus.

The worst environment for the Coronavirus in that region is probably Afghanistan, which is a rocky and comparatively dry region. Numbers in that country are pretty damn low, all considered.

25. evildice

I feel like it's sensible to compare urban population area climate vs. urban population area climate.

For NZ, it'd be most informative to look at Auckland, which is quite temperate all year round.

26. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

Also, while our population density is relatively low a full third of our entire country does still live there.

Prince Chrom, Xicree and daimahou like this.
  27. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

That's the short run, Smarty. It remains to be seen how long they truly can keep that up. I wouldn't bet on anything.

lunardraco likes this.
  28. mishie

mishie Experienced.

Oh that's totally true, we could end up having a bad second wave, but the fact is the initial reaction has not only proven that people are able to react quickly and change their lives to adapt to having to distance, but it's also allowed us to significantly over-prepare for the amount of cases that we did have. We've spent the past few months practicing and training for worst case scenarios and coming up with measures to ensure that we'd be able to continue working safely that we never needed to use. So when the second wave does hit, we'll be ready for it.

29. Drak4806

Drak4806 Well worn.

Unless you no longer have international travel you haven't beaten anything. All it takes is one person to spread it.

OverMaster, daimahou, Xicree and 2 others like this.
  30. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

Oh, gosh. Would you look at that. Borders closed, except possibly to each other since we both wiped out the virus.

Prince Chrom likes this.