1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. My_Game_Account

My_Game_Account Getting sticky.

Xmaster3000 and Prince Charon like this.
  2. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

I think this is probably going off-topic, now, honestly.

I only made the initial comment because I incorrectly assumed Zoat was reference the live action adaption, which he evidently wasn't.

To get back on topic, I'm interested to see what the star conquerors are doing if if is indeed them finally rearing their ugly heads after being quiet so long.

Ardy, IsActuallyBatman and Darko like this.
  3. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

Obligatory "if you're only going to do written dialect for a single word out of hundreds, you're not actually doing a dialect" post. Multiple people pointed it out as a typo. That shouldn't be a conclusion people would jump to if you're actually demonstrating a dialect properly.

Prince Charon and Jaron like this.
  4. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

When we are talking Star Conquerors we are talking about the local starfish that absorbed the Staro-tech stuff so they are even better at controlling people, right?

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Oh gods no. I don't think it was as bad as the animated thing, as we all already knew that DC can't do live action while the Titans thing was based on a popular animated series. But yeah, I wouldn't quote it except for mockery purposes.

Or fixing.
    If you can tell me the proper dialect for a ten thousand year old man, I'll be happy to write it in a uniform manner.

6. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

... So you have no idea how he should speak, but you're very certain he would say 'bat' with an e? I think that's what we call arbitrary, mate. If you don't know how he should speak, what it should sound like, just have Paul comment he speaks with an indefinable accent and write his dialogue normally. Saves people time trying to correct your not!typos.

7. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

I hope this isn't a typo and Doctor Mist actually pronounces Batman as "Betman." That is just too funny.

Vorian and Darko like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

No, I'm saying that if there isn't a 'proper' way to write it then any way of writing it is equally valid.
    It's funny: I think someone posted this exact comment last time.

9. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

Then maybe he should heve a consistent eccent instead of only a single word spelled wrong? Just mek it consistent and there is no issue. If he says 'Betmen' there are thousands more words where thet particular eccent quirk would epply. But you're not epplying it.

Do the accent. Don't do the accent. Whichever works for you. Just don't half arse it.

10. Mr Zoat

If you can point out where he's said 'Batman' I'm happy to change it.

11. topin89

topin89 Virgin Centrist

Well, there are ways. Assuming, for some reason, that neither his long-forgotten first language nor modern language of his current home village have "æ" vowel, we can look for vowel transitions from IPA
    [​IMG]

And choose some neighbor vowel. "E" in out case. Next, consistently replacing any "ae" like cat or had, but not, you can simulate an accent.
    You can combine any nearby vowels into one chosen form, cause for untrained ear they are kinda indistinguishable.
    Now, since it's not just plain text, you can use phonetic symbols instead of plain English letters, e.g. "Bɛtman". Letter sizes. Colors. Youtube links.

Endless possibilities, negated only by absence of real necessity.

12. Mr Zoat

Oh, that's a relief!

13. HatsAreHats

HatsAreHats Wears sunglasses at night

If she goes back to Vega with those sunstones it's going to set Amalak off, OL better mention that she should lie about where she got it.

Prince Charon likes this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Amalak may not know that those are Kryptonian tech, plus he could just think that she manufactured those herself after reviewing her rings database, instead of getting it from a Kryptonian.

Kinda dissapointed we won't see her adventures in Gotham, but maybe it's for the best.

Wouldn't wanna see her end up like Jim Gordon from Harley Quinn.

Love or hate the show, you have to admit that it paints a fairly realistic picture of what would happen to someone if they tried to manage a city like Gotham.

15. Mr Zoat

That's a distinct possibility, but it assumes that he would recognise it.

16. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

You do realise his point was you can simulate the accent you're going for incredibly easily just by applying the one alteration to the one word you do it in across any words with the same sound.

No, that wasn't a question. You do realise that. You're just being deliberately obtuse so you can continue to half-arse a thing you don't really want to do? But are entirely willing to pretend you want to do.

Prince Charon, Jaron and Darko like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah Zoat does tend to do that.

Hey maybe we'll see another version of him that somehow lost his obtuse attitude, as well as several of his other more negative characteristics, with the help of 'friend'.

Like this guy:

18. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

I don’t know why, but I suddenly started interpreting Dr. Balewa being voiced by Morgan Freeman, and now I can’t I hear it.

19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Word of Zoat is that Starros don't share a hive mind here.

I remember thinking it was a shame, no apocritic drug made from Starro DNA to give people temporary hive minds as from Checkmate.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  20. Threadmarks: Plutonian (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

12th April
    18:20 GMT +7

"Okay, so you see how the memory of him clocking in today doesn't have anything like the same number of attachments as the other memories?"

Koriand'r's eyes are glowing brilliant orange as she tries to see what I see.

"I…" She shakes her head. "Do not think so."

Okay, perhaps if we…

I turn to the site manager who has been assigned to assist us.

"Excuse me. Would you mind assisting me in a training exercise?"

"Ah…"

"You just have to clock in and out and then stand there for a bit."

"Oh. Ah, sorry, but I need to stay here. Timofey!" One of the warehouse workers stops pushing his trolley and looks around. "Help Orange Lantern."

He shifts his trolley to the side so that it won't get in the way, and as a former warehouse operative myself I find myself nodding in approval. It's considerate. I float towards him and Koriand'r follows me.

"Lantern Koriand'r is-"

And despite the coat, it's pretty clear which of us he'd rather be looking at.

"-learning to identify altered memories. Please show us where you clock in."

He nods. "This way."

We follow him through the warehouse, and I note that there don’t appear to be any more soldiers around than there were when we arrived. I suppose that there are only so many highly vetted soldiers around in any one place. Perhaps the Director decided that bringing more people in was a bigger risk than having fewer people on guard? Then again, this warehouse does supply Russian military facilities across the region. If they tighten things up too much people might not get fed and… Heh, every society is three meals away from chaos.

"Timofey, have you worked here for long?"

"Four years."

"Excellent." I turn my head to look at Koriand'r. "Timofey will have all sorts of memories associated with the action while I have next to none. You will observe carefully as we both form memories and note the difference."

She nods uncertainly.

"I understand, but I do not think that I have the accuracy to perceive the memory forms as you do."

"That could be." I nod. "I mostly teach ways of thinking. Lantern Xor wasn't much for subtlety, and my own progression was… Rather atypical. I really don't know what it takes for another Lantern to see things as I do."

"Were you able to see the desires of other people before you joined with the Ophidian?"

"Yes… But it was much harder to work out exactly what was going on. I could see drives, but I never learned to see exactly how they related to individual experiences. So this is a learning experience for both of us! You're learning to do it, and I'm learning what it takes for you to learn it!"

Timofey stops next to a somewhat dated computer system with a barcode scanner attached.

"Um. You're looking at my desires?"

"Just the ones associated with clocking in and out every day. And… Think of us as proctologists. You haven't got any shit we haven't seen before."

"Ah-." Another glance at Koriand'r. "Okay?"

Quick check, nothing too specific, just getting a general overview… Yes, nothing I haven't seen before. The orange light associations with the act relate to ingroup affirmation and financial reward. This won't have quite the same associations as this is just a demonstration, but he's been doing it every working day for the last four years so it should be bedded in.

Koriand'r's eyes glow as she tries to see the parts of Timofey's psyche that I'm referring to.

"Okay, if you could please clock out?"

He smiles slightly nervously.

"You'll tell my supervisor why I did this, right? We're so backed up now that they're going to be on our-. Cases about timekeeping."

I nod. "Of course."

He unclips his name tag from his overalls and waves it in front of the barcode reader, which beeps its acknowledgement. As expected, the associations trigger more weakly that they normally would, but they're still there. I'm a little worried that we're throwing things off just by being here, but we're just killing time until Dr Balewa finishes anyway…

"And now I do it."

"But I cannot see you."

Oh. Right.

"The eye thing is psychosomatic anyway. Just connect a filament to me."

She raises her left hand and closes her eyes, a strand of orange light attaching her to my environmental shield. I fabricate a copy of Timofey's name tag and scan it.

"Did you see-?"

"Orange Lantern!" The three of us look around as Dr Balewa shouts. "I have them!"

I transition back to him, taking… A somewhat confused Timofey with me.

"And where are they?"

"Take me to where the ships disappeared, and then I will tell you."

"Rightoh. Koriand'r, we're-" She flies into view. "-going up."

I attach a filament to Dr Balewa and the universe flickers as we reappear in space.

12th April
    11:23 GMT

"Yes, I see." He looks around as Koriand'r catches up with us. "Clever, and not an approach that most people would use. But… With a small application of power…"

My rings chime, and a short distance away Lord Comic King flares with orange light!

"Hold on, L-Ron! I'm coming!"

And he's gone. Ring?

I see the ships-. Well, the ClusterShip at least. It's keeping station near Pluto. No sign of damage, no active weapons…

"Orange Lantern Illustres to interested parties. The ClusterShip is near Pluto. Manga Khan's already gone after it and I don't think he's amenable to reason. Batman, how would you like me to proceed?"

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

He took Timofey with him to space of course.

There is now a confused russian military warehouse worker that will be dragged along on OLs adventures, just passively floating along, occasionally bithching about things.

22. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I like that Manga's main desire seems to be to get L-Ron back. Not his ship, not anything else on the ship, specifically L-Ron.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Welp he's at least loyal to his most loyal worker.

24. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

L-Ron is basically a key component of their brain at this point. The ship can be replaced, as painful as it would be.

25. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

"HE'S MY BUTLER BOT, DAMMIT! I HAVE TO APPROVE HIS YEARLY 5 MINUTE BREAK!"

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Think that they may be romantically involved maybe?

I mean Pepper Pots loves Tony Stark.

27. B.B. Rain

B.B. Rain I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm pretty sure he just took Timofey to where Dr. Balewa called them over, then left him there...but that would be pretty funny.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Oh... I remember this storyline...

There was a giant starconqueror warship buried in one of the moons of Pluto.

29. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Huh. That’s... bad. Really really bad. How big was the star conquerer ship?

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

If I am remembering right, a little smaller then the moon Charon, which it was frozen inside of.