1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Who?

2. Vorian

Vorian Versed in the lewd.

According to the alien parasite hooked to Contessa's brain that has a security block against actually giving out info on Scion.

Relyt33, Darko and Prince Charon like this.
  3. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

No, Browbeat is someone else.

ChestBurster and Darko like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, Theo became Golem.

ChestBurster, Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  5. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Mr Zoat you have reached a whole new low of unoriginality.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Anyone else thinking that this episode may be about Paul, or renegade, showing people how the OLC works by maybe giving them a tour of Maltus or Tamaran?

Assuming it isn't about the life of someone other than the paragon and renegade.

After the thing with Manga Khan people may be interested in learning more about the OLC and its operations, so maybe some kind of tour/interview could occur, during which something goes wrong and the crew sees what the OLC is capable of.

Prince Charon likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No I didn't. That SI assumed that he arrived because he knew about it. In reality he was just responding to an alarm notification as the SI smashed the Cauldron HQ apart.

The whole point of what I wrote was that that SI made a reasonable but mistaken deduction based on limited information.
    Lord Protector is not acting will a full knowledge of the setting. If he knew that she quit he wouldn't have shot her.
    I don't believe that it's a semantic argument. Although, amusingly, arguing that it's not a semantic argument would itself be a semantic argument.

My understanding -admitedly based on reading Worm fanfiction- is that shards drive their hosts to use their powers creatively, and that just usually means violent conflict with other capes. Parian, for example, is mentally fine despite working as a party entertainer and seamstress while Amy is a mess due to just healing people.

Thing is, those precognitives? Their shards are under those same orders to create conflict and not report on the metagame. They're just reliable enough to encourage dependency without being reliable enough to save the world.

Lord Protector isn't trying to permanently stop all supervillainy. He's trying to give the heroes the advantage they need to manage the situation in the long term.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  8. Mr Zoat

I could, yes, but the Lord Protector has no idea that Purity even has children.

I suppose that if it makes you feel better I could say that her colleagues in her civilian job identified her body before Aster could suffer an injury.
    What are you talking about? Most of my episode titled in ithe first 6 months were riffs on the original episode titles. If anything, this is a return to form.

9. henkalv

henkalv Know what you're doing yet?

Binge read the fic over the last couple of days. Loved the uplift, Fate beat down, team hangout and Vega tour parts, but I got about 0 investment in the parallel dimensions and time fuckery. Fic felt almost a bit direction less after the Orange Lantern Corps got set up. There's still interesting things going on, but there doesn't seem to be a goal in sight.

10. MadMarx420

MadMarx420 Not too sore, are you?

Two things I’d like to mention, while I may be wrong and be getting my canon and fanon mixed, the unwritten rules aren’t rational at all, contessa and cauldron and probably others are pushing it to be the accepted norm to ensure a degree of stability and to ensure things don’t escalate too much but like all rules there are going to be people who if they think they can get away with it they will.

This idea that no one not even the rapists and murderers within the E88 and ABB have murdered anyone is frankly so stupid and unrealistic.

AFAIK the conflict being pushed by the shards isn’t anywhere near as strong as some people are saying it is, I could be wrong on this but I don’t think I am.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  11. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Yeah. Veering to complete monster territory.
    That being said, he doesn't know the unwritten rules and is also unaware of the cosmic horror threat. Killing Jack and establishing a heavy-handed dictatorship might keep earth safe for a generation or until Zion gets bored.

ChestBurster and Relyt33 like this.
  12. MadMarx420

Wasn’t there an omake where orange paul fused with the orphidian and kisses scion? Maybe yellow Paul should do the same

13. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

That would be Theo, who will have control of medhall when he turns 18 as soon as Lord Protector Kills Kaiser.
    well that or he & aster get dumped into the foster system and hopefully don't get fucked over by it like Bitch did.

Nope that's after the S9 arc.
    Fog and Night are in boston at this point.

So give him the Dr Manhattan Special, just try not to do it on the carpet because no amount of club soda is going to get that out.

14. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

I noticed it this morning but it hasn't been edited out yet so just incase it hasn't been mentioned.. Thomas Calvert wasn't a PRT director at this point of worm, he was a third party consultant.

15. Mr Zoat

16. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Purity? At this point in the timeline isn't she nominally a good guy? I mean, yeah, criminal past, sure, but she's trying to reform. Sure, she's reluctantly back with E88 soon after this, but right at the time that Skitter's first fight with Lung happened she wasn't. Why target her? (Not criticizing, just confused.)

17. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

LP isn't working with the same knowledge set as we are, all he knows about her is what the media says about her and...

Shell 4.x

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He doesn't know anything about her aside from what he got from any database he pilfered, and said database could still have her listed as a criminal.

Considering she's been attacking minorities, even if they are criminals, many people may still think she's working for the E88.

19. Austin Pharos

Austin Pharos Know what you're doing yet?

No, the shards specifically drive their hosts toward conflict, and usually violent conflict.

20. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Because thats not a thing, all villain teams have murderers, the point is not to kill people indiscriminately which would result in the heroes being forced to escalate things which makes buisness really hard for Villains. It also results in other Villain teams teaming up against you, since they dont want you to draw the attention of law enforcment too much. We saw that when the BB Villains teamed up against the ABB after Bakuda killed over fifty people and ensalved my more.
    Pretty much, it's more that people who are naturally driven towards conflict are more likely to trigger in the first place. Thats why Taylor triggered instead of her father, since he had a stronger support network.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Ardy and MadMarx420 like this.
  21. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Yeah, but that's the total number of worlds they could (potentially) visit. The smaller number (10^80) is the number within the Entities's dimensional shield, that will be destroyed to power their leaving, at the end of the Cycle. That number... feels a little excessive. :)

22. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

That's a laugh. Worm is grimderp masquerading as rational. If WTR wrote a rationalized version it wouldn't even be the first; El-Ahrairah came first, with the necessary change of injecting the PC into Cauldron immediately (and the corresponding requirement that she be changed in power to be something Cauldron would want).

It doesn't make sense, not for a minute. Wildbow just isn't (and wasn't even then) a good enough writer to make it actually hold together. It makes more sense than DC or Marvel, yeah, but that's
    [​IMG]

LP probably is beneficial on net, though given that he's thoroughly out of the loop on the existential catastrophes which ultimately dominate the utilitarian calculus of three of the four people in the setting with a modicum of agency (Doctor Mother, Alexandria, Jack Slash, and Taylor) he's mostly getting lucky on that front. If El-Ahrairah's depiction of how the cycle works is canon (which it probably isn't, because I don't think there is a canon answer at all; Anderein is skilled enough to write one but Wildbow never was), the Principle of Eristic Escalation works on overdrive in Bet, and the 'controlled chaos' of gang warfare is near-optimal. And of course, despite Cauldron being pants-on-head retarded in pretty much everything about how they go about it, parahuman farming to get as many rolls of the dice as possible to luck into something that can kill Zion is in fact incredibly important.

23. Brammmm3

Brammmm3 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Finally made an account to post on my favorite story here.

It's always interesting to see a writer who hasn't read worm write a worm fanfic vs one who has read the story.

There is a lot of fanon that gets spread around this story in particular. A lot of people haven't read worm because it's so long so they write based of fandom osmosis.

I think this annoyed Wildbow so much that he spent a ton of time addressing and countering fanon in his Ward sequal. I find Ward to be a far better written story then Worm by the way.

Anyway I liked how you dealt with Purity. Too often she gets woobified into this poor misguided women who I simply trying to better herself as a hero. They downplay the fact that she is a murderous white supremacist.

Anyway I hope you write more of this sidestory eventually. It's always interesting seeing Paul interact with a non DC Fandom.

ChestBurster and RichardWhereat like this.
  24. WargWolf

WargWolf Giver of successor chapters

Yeah. Though, I'm pretty sure no criminal in the OG LA Batman series actually went to an asylum. They all went to a prison where the warden wanted to rehabilitate them. Heck, in the first Joker episode, the Joker is actually playing baseball and, if memory serves, one of the people watching says that the warden loves rehabilitating hardened criminals like the Joker.

WhiteNoise and Darko like this.
  25. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Then you're in a very small minority. The plurality opinion is that Wildbow's writing skill has only decreased over time.

WhiteNoise and Ardy like this.
  26. Austin Pharos

Austin Pharos Know what you're doing yet?

Nah, the plurality opinion is that Ward is worse than Worm, not that his writing skill has worsened over time.

Take Twig for example, it's widely agreed that the characterization in Twig is far better than Worm.

Its possible to improve in skill while writing something generally agreed to be worse overall.

ChestBurster, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  27. MadMarx420

I’ve never touched any of Wildbows other works, my logic being that if I couldn’t bring myself to finish Worm then I probably won’t enjoy the others. Also I’m lazy :(

dogbertcarroll and Vorian like this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Seems to be that way, maybe this is supposed to be a morality story about thinking might makes right.

If he doesn't know something that obvious.

It's likely he also killed a couple undercover cops in his murder spree.

I don't say this about fictional characters very often, but Lord Protector may actually be an idiot.

MadMarx420 likes this.
  29. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Being a (successful) gymnast requires an exceptionally good kinesthetic sense. It requires exceptionally good control over your body. It requires awareness of your environment, physical fitness, and discipline.

It doesn't grant combat skill in and of itself, and gymnastic maneuvers are worthless in a fight, but being a good gymnast does very much build on the same fundamentals that are required for combat skill. A gymnast is probably going to be better off than a non-gymnast given the same level of combat training.

Wildbow is a competent writer. He always had a solid baseline level of skill, and he's been getting better as he gets more experience. Being competent doesn't mean that everything you write is going to be good, especially when you have that much volume on that kind of schedule, and it also doesn't mean you can remember absolutely everything you've previously established. And long-running serials are harder than novels. You can't (easily) go back and make changes if you realize you've made a significant mistake or change your mind, and putting yourself on a schedule means you have less time to review. Having that much content to deal with also means that (in absolute terms) there's going to be more bad parts.

The common thread across his work is the constant escalation. If having things steadily get worse and worse is something you don't want to read, then you probably won't enjoy the others. If it's just the characters and the setting, his other stories are distinctly different and it might be worth at least taking a look.

WhiteNoise, Vorian, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  30. MadMarx420

Il consider it and it’s been a very long time since I’ve read Worm I might enjoy it the second time round but I’ve got loads of different books and comics I’m going through right now so on the back burner for now.