1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

I think it has to do with transition of power. Generally speaking, it's not considered fair to perfectly ascribe crimes to people who didn't commit them but they can be partially ascribed if you benefited from the crimes (hence holding Americans mildly responsible for everything that happened with the indigenous tribes even tho we weren't there), but I think it's a bunch of gray areas past the transition of power from one generation to the next. I think in this case it most definitely isn't, because it's the same guy who did it. The crime is something he did personally, so even if you can't blame his children for it, you can still blame him.

I mean, personally I think this is an entirely Paul thing to do. Nilbog isn't going to harm anyone if he's left alone AND has what he needs to prosper. This includes needing food for his creations. Then, Paul can get work out of something that was a threat beforehand, and also neutralize the threat. Maybe not the generally accepted as moral thing to do, since humans are all about retribution, but I think it's the utilitarian thing to do.

2. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

I mean you could argue that Nilbog is a rapist/pedophile since he's having sex with his creations and it's debatable how much they can consent. Not to mention that he has them eat each other(though he does not really have an alternative). So I am not sure you could say that he isn't harming anyone at the moment.

Overall I consider dealing with him rather morally questionable unless truly necessary.

Jaron likes this.
  3. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Huh, was actually right? Are people genuinely not going to argue about a work of fiction beyond the semantics of a single word?

I wasn't aware I'd stepped into The Twilight Zone.

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Nilbog is insane and has the functional mentality of a human child.

Anything Paul does with him is the equivalent of hitting a tanker truck full of unstable nitroglycerin with a sledge hammer.

KenNM and Darko like this.
  5. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Never mind then, hello once again Earth, how I missed you for those short few moments.

At least I don't have to worry about a child willing me out of existence anymore.

Ardy likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's assuming they can actually view him, precog him, or move him anywhere.

He has advanced tech and magic, probably even added something like the paragons tattoos, so it's possible they can't even see him right now. And Lisa passed out after seeing him so he may somehow be resistant to such powers.

Even if they are capable of viewing him, they may not want to interfere because they may like to see how he works and his modus operandi.

And before you say that this doesn't make sense remember that they did do a lot of weird shit in canon that didn't make much sense.

Good answer on why Nilbog should be blamed and held accountable for his actions.

This Paul may be trying out paragons whole rehabilitation thing.

Nilbog is a fairly powerful biomancer, so maybe LP is trying to get him to use his powers for something more productive.

7. Lurking Shade

Lurking Shade Versed in the lewd.

Nilbog wasn't insane and childlike when he started. That was attributed to him spending over a decade with no contact with anyone except for yes men who worshiped him as a god.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Even if he was not insane and childlike when he started, which is debatable seeing as what he did to that city and its inhabitants is not exactly the mark of a sane man, now he is very much insane and childlike.

Cuchulin and iamnuff like this.
  9. Lurking Shade

Lurking Shade Versed in the lewd.

His power basically went to his head. He was a loner theorized to have gotten his powers as a result of losing his job as a banker and having no way to pay off the bills he had piling up when he couldn't find a new job quickly.

His extermination of the town was pretty methodically and thought out, he didn't just brute force zerg rush it.

nick012000 and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That still doesn't exactly disprove the possibility that he was insane during that time.

It may disprove the possibility that he was childlike during that time, and even that's not a guarantee, but not the insanity thing.

Now however he very much is insane and childlike.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I... don't think Nilbog did these things in Worm.

I could be wrong as it's been some time since I read Worm, but I think you may be thinking of that guy from Rick and Morty who Beth trapped in that place Rick made for her so she doesn't kill other children.

Cuchulin, erebus1994 and Ardy like this.
  12. l---erddad---l

After they die he reuses their biomaterial, but there's nothing aside from pessimism that says that he had sex with his creations. It seems like he saw them as pseudo-children subjects of his kingdom.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Darko like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah I think he mistook Nilbog for that guy from Rick and Morty.

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

No he definitely did that, here look
    https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/sting-26-4/
    Though there are obvious similarities to King Tommy, that have been pointed out before.

Nilbog obviously came first.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Jaron and Ardy like this.
  16. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

its

comma instead of semicolon

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Even assuming LP was nothing but a blindspot, which we know he isn't since people can see and hear him, Clairvoyant would still know where he was from the blindspot itself.

Further you're missing an important point, Niblog isn't a "wait and see" level of problem, he's a "kill it with nuclear fire" problem that only avoids being killed with fire due to the fact that the scales are precariously weighed on the razor edge of doing so being more damaging then just letting him sit in the town till everything starves to death.

Like hitting a giant tanker truck full of unstable nitroglycerin with a sledgehammer...

Jaron likes this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

19. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Yeah, Nilbog is an entirely reprehensible creature.
    I can't think of any reason to deal with him, or anything useful that he could give you beyond canon-fodder troops.

None of those people were an enlightened Yellow Lantern.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but at this point he should be more than capable of sterilising an area X kilometres wide, which would render all of Nilbog's backup plans totally futile.
    All of his stuff is trapped in Ellisburg, or he'd have used it already to try to break containment, and all of his creations are purely biological in nature.
    Just exterminate all lifeforms inside the containment area. Everything from people to bugs to bacteria. Go a mile or two deep underground too.
    Hit em with the blue-rinse.
    If you can brute-force Lung, then you can brute-force Nilbog

But you can't take away the risk of a runaway Biological WMD, because that's literally what they are, and whileever Nilbog remains Nilbog (An unrepentant insane mass-murderer) that is all they will ever be.
    Them being sapient lifeforms is true, but they're unceasingly loyal to their creator, who is a mass-murdering lunatic, so it doesn't matter.

He made them to murder a city, and if not for the containment zone aggressively exterminating anything that attempts to leave the area and his own lack of resources preventing him from forcing his way out, he'd have killed millions or billions more people.
    Dude needs to die, and that means all his kids need to go with him.

No pity for any of them.

Long enough that the person who perpetrated it isn't still alive and ruling the country.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  20. l---erddad---l

I 1000% disagree here. To not pity a sentient being for being in a situation which completely disallows their life from continuing to exist means that you are unable to empathize with others at a normal level. If a cult indoctrinates children to be assassins, you would mourn them, even as you accept that generally they're too far gone to be redeemed.

21. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Am I supposed to get Oliver Cromwell vibes here?

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He can't even really give that since his Troops are basically much less intelligent Skaven that will overrun and depopulate pretty much anywhere they are sent.

KenNM likes this.
  23. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I don't empathise with monsters.

These aren't cultist children. They're puppets.

All of nilbog's children love him enough to be willing to die for him. That's not natural.
    No rebellion? No teenage angst? No dislike for his methods? No diverging opinions at all?
    It could be a facet of their youth, I suppose. The eldest of them is four years old.

On the other hand, they don't seem to have much capacity for empathy and they'd rip you to shreds in a moment if he gave the order.
    No, I see them as extensions of Nilbog's will, and he needs to die. Therefore they need to die, because they are part of him.

You can't cut off a man's head and leave his limbs alive, so you can't kill Nilbog without wiping out his spawn too.

Whether they 'deserve' pity or not is irreverent. It won't change the facts of the situation, and it might make the necessary work of sterilising the area harder or more emotionally damaging for yourself than if you just chose not to.

Jaron, Prince Charon and Chaoswind like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's not a blind spot to most people that are just watching him in person, kinda like how Paul whose tattoos make him difficult to view through arcane means, but seeing him with eyes is still possible, but he most likely is one to Thinkers given what happened to Lisa.

He may also have a way of avoiding people knowing where he was by searching that blind spot, especially after spending several days in that universe, and he also would have good reason to cloak himself using some of his equipment, which the locals may not be able to detect since its not exactly tinkertech, but rather alien tech combined with magic, both things that I think a lot of the locals don't have much, if any, experience with.

As for Cauldron letting him do all these things, they may not be able to see him or grab him, or even if they can after spending several days killing high level threats they may want to recruit him for their 'Kill Zion' plan that they're willing to take a risk on seeing how he works.

And don't say that it doesn't make sense that they would do that. A whole lot of their actions in canon didn't make sense.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You forget that Zoat already directly stated that what happened to Lisa and that it had nothing to do with any sort of magical blocking ability/technology.

Also the LP is way to low tier to be any use against Zion.

KenNM likes this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Citation for the first one please.

Also he could have started using such equipment after spending some time in Earth Bet, after figuring out what types of powers exist there.

LP is an enlightened Lantern with extremely advanced equipment.

That's not exactly low tier in any sense of the word, seeing as he's at least on the Triumvirates level, if not higher.

Power rings in the comics have done some extremely powerful things, up to and including destroying planets.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  27. l---erddad---l

Yes, that's called "being brainwashed". It's not reasonable to blame Dragon for following orders when she has to, because that's how she's built as an AI. Those are her rules. "I don't empathize with monsters" is a way to create an other, to separate sentient and sapient beings out from the rest and say that they're less important, that you're willing to hurt more than other beings. If Nilbog had mind-controlled the entire town and given all of them superpowers, and they used those superpowers to create an identical situation to what is going on right now, the exact same problems would be there. The only difference is that the mind control isn't as inherent to their being. If they are fully sentient and sapient, as suggested by Worm and by Zoat's chapter, than it is disgusting and monstrous to deny their personhood. I agree that they need to die because they were brainwashed/raised to love him fanatically, but that's no different than needing to kill members of the League of Shadows so they don't attempt to damage the world if you kill the Ra's Al Ghul. They're still people, and the mindset that involved removing their personhood is disgusting and is the sort of thing that when it exists in large groups in real life, you see people trying to call themselves utilitarians when actually they're just hurting people who they don't like.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Except Shards are more advanced then Guardian tech in concerns to their multidimensional abilities and Scion has wavelength canceling which would render Power Rings pretty much useless.

KenNM likes this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He hasn't most likely faced a power ring user before, so Zoat can just make it so that he can't do that to a power ring.

It wouldn't go against canon since there isn't exactly anything in canon on power rings.

Prince Charon, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Vorian

Vorian Versed in the lewd.

Tinkertech is literally alien tech.