1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Chain her up and toss her in an X-pit for a few million years.

2. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

So? Do what they did to Darkseid's father and stick her in the Source Wall.

Plus the Sword of the Fallen doesn't kill; it turns you into a powerless normal human.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If it can beat the guy that scares Darkseid then it can certainly beat Gloriana.

Also the Sword does kill, it's just temporary however.

RGFJ likes this.
  4. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Where is Excalibur in this setting, anyway? I don't think it's been mentioned. I believe Shining Knight usually has it, right?

I'm enjoying the Renegade's fight with the Sheeda far more than the Paragon's interactions, so far, just because the former seems far more effective against them, though that's just an initial impression. I think his bombastic nature fits well with the aesthetic and thematic nature of the Sheeda. The thaumaturgic machinations behind his challenge are giving me strong Pact vibes, coinciding with a bunch of Pact fics I'm currently reading, and magic there is to a large degree about spectacle and showmanship, so that probably helps. Knowing that the Renegade will discover the truth about the Sheeda's origins or whatever (and Paragon implicitly won't, at least in my interpretation of WoZ) makes me attention to his segments more.

erebus1994 and Darko like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Sir Ystin has it.

For obvious reasons relating to the last site-move, I'm not using the Nu52 version of her.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

A pity, I really enjoyed the Demon Knights comics.

7. DrThoth

And where is she now? I'd have thought either Renegade or Paragon or both would be interested in tracking her and the sword down at some point, especially if they remember her being involved with the Sheeda like she seems to be.

I'm basically just familiar with the Shining Knight from the DCAU, who some Googling reveals is Justin Arthur, but the wiki doesn't make the connection, if any, clear between the two.

I'd have liked to see a showdown between Morgaine le Fey and Gloriana, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Darko likes this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Both would have received a notification if a pegasus fell out of the sky. Otherwise, they have no idea how to find her, if she even exists.

Neither of them would be able to get the sword out of its scabbard.

9. DrThoth

I feel like with all the arch-mages on both their sides, they could figure something out.

As for the Sword, that's what you have the trusty William Batson for; he even comes with the Sword of Beowulf as a quality prior reference! (I don't remember which timeline wielded it though, or if it was both).

RGFJ and Darko like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I remember that Billy joined the Team in the renegade side and called himself Beowulf, due to wielding the sword and it being connected to Beowulf.

I remember Billy using the sword to heal himself from the wounds Sabbac gave him in the paragon side, but I don't know if he still uses it.

Cornwall Boy may be using it as a battery for his magic now, but it wouldn't surprise me if Billy is still using it due to the fact that he's one of the few people capable of using it to its fullest extent.

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's Excalibur, forged by the Presence and literally the most powerful sword in the setting.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Provide a source that the Presence was responsible for making it in the comics, and not the Lady of the Lake.

Also provide evidence on why Zoat would use that origin for the sword, assuming the Presence actually did it.

If you can't do these things then kindly leave.

Oh and if it's from n52 then don't bother since Zoat is unlikely to use something from there.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Ardy likes this.
  13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

This argument is rather funny, because it misses the forest for the trees.

It in no way matters if Gravy kills the Queen or not. There are plenty of people to take her place.

The issue that should be addressed is that it takes a group of seven to defeat the Sheeda.

Which is why they were defeated by a "ragtag bunch of misfits," they numbered seven. In fact the Sheeda knew about this weakness and went around killing superhero teams that number seven to avoid it, which is why it took the Seven Soldiers, by not officially being a team they flew under the radar.

Getting around that by "an advanced threat that's been preparing for months" would be like the Witch King who no man can kill getting offed by Aragorn pulling out a lightsaber.

I'm not holding my breath that this will end with Gravy's humiliating defeat until six teenagers and a dog show up in a van to save the day. :)

Now while of course Zoat can do whatever he likes in his story, fairy tale enemies having a fairy tale weakness makes sense. The fact that the Queen is a bug person from like a billion years in the future doesn't change the fact that she is the Wicked Queen and Nebula Man is the Huntsman, leader of the Wild Hunt.

Unlike V, who seems to think that any change Zoat makes is to make his SI looks good, I give Zoat the benefit of the doubt that his changes are based on things not making sense to him, or him thinking they'd make for a better story if changed. That doesn't mean I always agree with Zoat's reasoning though. Shrugs

Frank Iannetta, Odysseus2099 and RGFJ like this.
  14. DrThoth

I'm a bit confused as to why you replied to me, unless it was just to provide exposition on the nature of the sword in question.

All this discussion makes me want to see Saber in Young Justice, but I haven't found any decent Fate/Young Justice crossovers.

I wasn't aware of that fact, not being familiar with Seven Soldiers. Of course, Renegade could conceivably find out about that weakness, if he isn't already aware of it, and form his own team for this invasion from his family and/or allies in the New Light.

I'd imagine Renegade, Doctor Sivana, Magnificus, Circe, Michael/Tawny, Teth Adom and Knockout, or some other combination.

If the Sheeda are weak to the number seven, wonder if they're worried about the original founding members of the League.

Ngamer11, Ardy and Darko like this.
  15. Lurking Shade

Lurking Shade Versed in the lewd.

But achksually the Witch King isn't immune to being killed by men. An elf just accidentally prophesied that he would not be killed by man and a Hobbit ended up stabbing him with a magic dagger that fucked up the spells on him. :V

(In the books he actually says no living man could hinder his plans, not that one couldn't kill him. The movies just changed things. Don't take this too seriously as a point arguing about your point, I just like sharing LoTR trivia about the books)

RGFJ and Ardy like this.
  16. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Both Billy's have it, but they do not use it to fight because the sword is a fair more lethal than their punches. In short its an option for both of them, but they would only use it against a small number of enemies.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade is allied with a number of extremely powerful people, which include New Gods, several demigods, a Kryptonian, an enlightened Red Lantern and other extremely powerful people, so he shouldn't be lacking in six other powerful people to help him with this.
    I'd also like to see more Fate/Young Justice fics.

If you find any then please notify me.

RGFJ and DrThoth like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Seven people?

How many people are there in The Light again?

19. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Decided to look it up. Wow. The Nu52 change to Ystin is so fucking stupid.

It's precisely the kind of thing they warn against when they tell you that you never go full retard.

And her armor is one of the stupider looking ones I've seen in comics.

Ardy likes this.
  20. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

would that work? i dont know lick about the seven soldiers of victory comics but shouldnt the seven be like chosen by destiny or something? i figured that trope would appear here.

also what will renegade do bout melmoth?

Darko likes this.
  21. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Unless he comes back to Earth why would Grayven care? He's bothering a bunch of space pilgrims not anything important. OL only cares because going after him might result in better information on the main Sheeda invasion.

transhumansage and Darko like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Light does now have people that have a great deal of personal power.

Renegade, Adom, The Shade, Circe, so they're not exactly starving for powerful members.

RGFJ likes this.
  23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Including minions? Tens of thousands.

And yes, minions count.

RGFJ likes this.
  24. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Both semicolons should be commas. (The later semicolon in the update is correct!)

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't know of a whole lot of Fate and YJ fics, but there is this story called Grail on SB.

It's a crossover with Worm and it's really enjoyable.

Writing characters with different characteristics can be good as it allows the readers to explore characters in a different light and way.

It can also allow for groups that are disenfranchised to feel included, so it's not exactly stupid.

The character was also greatly enjoyable.

Also the armor is pretty solid looking compared to a whole lot of other armors worn by comic characters.

Ystin's armor actually covers the entire body.

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  26. Mr Zoat

I don't remember it being clear in Seven Soldiers why having seven people was important. I think it was something that the Seven Unknown Men set up, but I'm not sure. If so, the fact that they don't exist here means it's not really an issue.
    Probably nothing.
    Are you sure about that? If anything it looks like they should be colons to me.

27. DrThoth

Actually, shouldn't the Witch Hunters have shown up in the Renegade timeline to hunt Klarion down as well? Or was it more clear that he died there because his Chaos energy was just absent instead of being rerouted into someone like in the Paragon timeline?

ChestBurster, Gilhelmi and Darko like this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They may have come to hunt him down but discovered that he already died, probably by seeing it on a TV or asking someone about it, and just waited until they could go back home.

If they didn't try to contact the renegade then chances are low that he would have met them.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's important because there is a True Prophecy...

ChestBurster likes this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat can't read your comments.

You... do realized that, right?