1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

okay that is hilarious. no death was more fitting a figure such as that. did they incinerate the body to the last atom and thaumically shred her soul so there is no chance of ressurection?.

Darko, Lupercal and Xmaster3000 like this.
  2. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Based on what? What makes her more immortal than, say, Mordu? Or Savage?

Darko, RGFJ, Lupercal and 1 other person like this.
  3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Yes, I imagine the writer was having a joke. She survived being attacked with caliburn, she survived Frankenstein, in the end the queen of the future bug people winds up hit by a car like a bug on the windshield.

As far as I know, no.

In the sequel appearance in Sideways post flashpoint, her cousin is the new queen.

4. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Very surprising. Grayven’s usual response to someone trying to pull something like that would be to stop them, not sit around waiting for them to finish the countdown.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The Renegade is smart enough to know that Sivana would have prepared for anything the former could possibly do to try and stop the latter. Also, it's not like he had time to do anything else anyway.

Darko, Cuchulin, Gilhelmi and 3 others like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

If it was a regular bomb, he might. It was a Sivana Special.

7. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

Fiat-based things by necessity have to be able to compare to each other. If you end up with a sword that can kill anything, and an amulet that prevents death, one of those must fail if put into a collision. That's the issue with putting illogical things into a world of logic, or, rather, creating logical rules that do not work together. That means that while yes, she has her fiat-based immunity, that doesn't mean it's impossible to find a weakness, or something that is built to kill impossible existences, or something that technically doesn't trigger her immunity because it isn't technically killing her.

Moreover, it's the author right to do what they please. You've made your argument about what you believe is possible via canon, and it doesn't appear that Zoat is following that. Regardless of whether that's canon-compliant or he's nerfing her, the fact is that if you continue arguing your point, it doesn't mean anything except "hey, fuck you! You're not following canon, so I'm gonna continue harassing you!" Once you've made your point, drop it.

Darko, ninguem, RGFJ and 4 others like this.
  8. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Nope.

Arthur broke it once, well he broke the sword in the stone but DC comics makes the two be the same sword.

I blame Disney.

9. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

A pity that the finale was kind of anti-climactic, but at the same time I understand it. The Sheeda weren't as hyped in the Renegade's timeline as they were on the Paragon timeline. Besides which, the confrontation with them had Dr. Sivana as the main belligerent after what they did to his family. He searched for Grayven for his "help", not the other way around.

I hoped for at least a few more segments to explain what was the plan to properly get rid of the Sheeda in this timeline but I guess if a future episode will be dedicated to Grayven and the investigation into this future-humanity/bug-people, then that should be more than satisfactory. I just hope with the Illustres we get a "drop colony" moment, like with the Citadellians. Because right now, I haven't seen anything redeemable about the Sheeda.

Darko, Cuchulin, Ngamer11 and 2 others like this.
  10. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

"Allies" might be a bit strong.

More like, "treating each other with neutral respect because they are not currently going against one another."

Maybe more like America and China. Will occasionally yell at each other and saber rattle, but at the end of the day neither cares enough to do anything. Maybe team-up long enough to ensure N. Korea doesn't try to nuke anyone.

They are nowhere near "allies" though. LOL

Darko and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  11. Pez

Pez Spaceman

This is an off topic question for this arc, but has Renegade seen or heard from Jade since their falling out? I know he spoke with Paula that one time afterwards, before he got Anti-Life'd, but I don't remember anything happening afterwards, other than him occasionally mentioning her or thinking about her.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Artemisnemo

Artemisnemo Getting sticky.

They met when Roy clone and Grayven we're rescuing Speedy. I can't remember the episode right now.

Darko and Ardy like this.
  13. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I think he last mentioned her pretty recently and she's doing some wetwork for him in... Africa? Either that or providing security for Lex's spaceship factory (also in Africa according to last chapter). Either way she was at least willing to work for him.

Darko, Artemisnemo and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Either commas or colons would be valid in that context.

I'm not entirely certain that's NOT the intent...

15. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Why would Sally Sonic need to go to the hospital?
    Also, are we allowed to know just WTF is wrong with her soul that half the emotion spectrum is missing?

16. Threadmarks: Faed Away (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

5th May
    02:47 GMT -5

"…anything in the system?"

John shakes his head. "It's a binary system. Having a habitable planet here is strange enough already. There's some dust, but no asteroids worth talking about."

"Did your ring recognise the location?"

Another quick shake. "No. We could be in a parallel universe, or another time, or just another galaxy where the Corps doesn't have good star charts."

"Or all three."

I glance at the doors leading to the parliament chamber where Abednego is making his full report.

"I've never evacuated a planet before. You?"

"Yeah. Once. You know what a 'maximizer' is?"

"A type of badly programmed AI. One that is told to do something and given no mechanism for assessing its objective relative to the wider needs of society. You ran into one?"

He nods. "It wasn't all that clever, but it had already converted pretty much its whole home system into machinery. By the time Lanterns got called in, it was already getting near another inhabited planet. That was a bigger evacuation than this, and they were able to terraform their planet back after we got done destroying the robots. This isn't the same thing. If we take these people away, they can't ever come back."

He thinks for a moment.

"You got a way to beat this thing?"

"Giving the Columbians better profane and arcane technology will probably allow them to survive. Better necromancy…"

"What about using your ring to disintegrate it? You said that the Sheeda stuff you tried it on turned to dust."

"On a life form by life form basis. And while I didn't get a perfect look, I think this planet is covered in Sheeda beasts. I think Melmoth brought a cross-section here with him and told them to go forth and multiply. My worry is that he's spent the rest of the time since his 'death' doing the same to other planets. Or that he's trying to convert the entire mass of the planet."

"How dangerous are they? Unless there's something I'm not seeing, you killed them easy enough. And they can't use technology, so they can't get off-planet."

"The worms we fought were his mining tools. The magical super-acid was their equivalent of a drill, not a dedicated weapon. Assuming that the Columbians have been reasonably thorough in keeping Sheeda creature levels down… I'd assume that the really dangerous creatures mostly live away from here. If Melmoth was mostly leaving them wild he wouldn't want them near where he was building his settlement."

"How was the village planning on handling it?"

I shrug.

"Their creatures broke their obedience spells when Melmoth flicked his switch. They handled it, but can't evacuate without a way to transport.. food, at least."

"They could come here. You said there aren't that many of them, even if every small town packed up and moved out."

Yes, like the town with the maggot pit. Whose inhabitants are almost certainly turning into spine rider thralls even now.

"I doubt that the Columbians would accept that. I didn't ask them to point out their warlocks, but I'm confident that there are a few."

He folds his arms across his chest. "You think they'd sing the same tune if we told them we're helping everyone or no one?"

I raise my eyebrows. "Would religious fanatics fold to external pressure quickly?"

He looks away. "Yeah."

"Of course, religious fanaticism could help. If I give one of the locals an orange ring, they might be able to carry out a purge."

"'Purge' as in 'get rid of the Sheeda animals', or 'purge'-."

"I'd wrestle it off them if they attempted genocide. But the locals are far more invested in this world than I am." I exhale. "It's a shame I wasn't able to make common cause with Melmoth. If he's got a plan to defeat the Queen, we could make use of it."

"How exactly is he planning on getting his animals back to Earth?"

"Pass. We still don't know how he got all these people here in the first place. It could be that there's a space ship somewhere on this planet that we haven't found. He clearly has a good enough command of magic to hide it from our scans, and I don't know if Doctor Mist understands this planet's magic or the magic of the Sheeda well enough to locate it quickly. And…"

Oh heck.

"It's not like we actually know that the settlers on Roanoke were the only people he abducted. There could be any number of settlements across this world or across others in the same situation."

"You actually think that's what's happened?"

"No idea. Which is rather the problem."

We stand there for a moment, and I strain to hear any sound coming out of the debate chamber. No, no chance of that in a society of magic users.

"Do you have someone in mind?"

"For what?"

"Recruiting. If you need to recruit a local to deal with the Sheeda lichen, or animals. That Abednego guy?"

"No, his style of magic means that he doesn't think in the right sort of way. If I actually had to pick someone I'd probably ask them to line up witch-hunters and get them to drop their personal wards so I could get a good look at them. But if I had to pick someone now… Beulah Bleak."

"Klarion's sister? Doesn't she hate you?"

"That's not necessarily a bad thing."

John snorts in amusement.

"She was willing to die if she got another shot at Klarion. She's driven, selfless and devout. I'm not sure her staying in the Corps afterwards would work, and she's definitely a genocide risk… Or if Doctor Mist finds a way to transport everyone here back to our Earth."

"You think that's a good idea?"

"They've got a very useful skill set. I'm sure we can find somewhere to settle them if they're willing to trade their arcane knowledge. And if three witch-hunters handled coming over without being disabled by culture shock, I'm sure they can manage. And we could put the warlock-breed a long way away from the rest, if that was going to be a problem."

I know Russia would snap them up, especially if we sent the rest to America. There's no future in relying on uneducated tribal shaman, and no obvious way to transition them into something better.

"In fact, I should probably-."

My ring blinks, and John's does as well. We both raise them, and Alan's head appears.

"Paul? John? We've got a problem."

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  17. Mr Zoat

Let's go with colons, then.
    Bulleteer hit her with an engine.
    She got Heberted. Everyone she trusted and loved died or betrayed her, everyone else took advantage.

18. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

We're -> We've

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Alan is back on Earth right?

My guess is another Harrowing has started or at least a large scouting party has been sent.

Or that Melmoth has triggered something he had left there.

21. Mr Zoat

No, Alan came with them.

22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

So, John got to leave the planet? Got to wonder if there is anything interesting out there.

So, the middle of Bumfuck, Nowhere, as far as Corps support is concerned. Looks like backup will be very hard to acquire, unless Canis can come through with his Mother Box.

No shouting yet, so presumably he hasn't made any suggestions yet. I expect there are a lot of horrified faces, though.

:( <sucks breath through teeth> Oh, one of those... So annoying when people forget to set limits on their AI's commands.

A common example: "Make paperclips." No limits set on time, quantity or consumption of resources? Bad idea.

Well, good to hear things ended well for them. Bet they'll reconsider AI from now on, though.

Oh, I'm sure OL has ideas. Many, many ideas. But how many of them the locals will accept as valid, tolerable or possible, that shall be seen.

Eh... Could you generate and maintain the desire or will to burn the entire planet clean? Planets are damn big. Short of letting him bond with Ophidian again...

There's a scary idea. Multiple planets out there, all set up like Witchworld. Whole worlds set up as breeding factories for Sheeda creatures, letting them mutate and diverge in potentially useful fashions as they will.

Sensible, at least. He's still an obnoxious shit. And like I said, who knows what changes they're going through in far-away territories?

I'm guessing there were deaths, both of the beasts and their former masters...

Never mind the whole religious prosecution the Columbians were committing against them. Yes, I can see that reunion going well...

Do not underestimate the mind of the religious hardliner. I can easily foresee some Columbians declaring this to be 'The Lord's righteous punishment for their sloth, in not exterminating the warlock-breed wherever they be found!' and announcing their intent to stay and fight regardless of their chances.:rolleyes:

Yes, their willful refusal would likely do a Green Lantern proud. Seriously, oil and water. Or in this case, Dioxygen Diflouride and air..

Wouldn't be the first time OL's had to rein in a genocidal Orange Lantern.

Probably the same way he got them here, way back when? However that was. Presumably by driving them into a stampede and opening the way...

There's always the nuclear option: Call in Ophidian and start a Quintessence Waveform scan. It might not even take that long this time, given his advancement in skill..

:eek: ...Shit. Gods only know how many missing colonies there are out there.

So many unknowns. And so few options for calling in backup. Hello there, Shit Creek, now where have the paddles gone?

For a possible Orange Lantern recruit? How many of the locals does he even know?

Eh... Too laid-back. He doesn't seem to have much in the way of wants. Much too Zen.

I don't know... He did kill her asshole little brother. Or at least ensure justice could be done to him. Most of her annoyance at him was because she wanted to do it herself, wasn't it?

Wouldn't be the first time OL's worked with someone who doesn't like him much.

I'm sure they can find a place on Earth somewhere. There might be some teething troubles culturally, but I'm sure they would happily go somewhere remote and found a new colony.

Eh, it's a crude plan, but at least it's something resembling a plan.

Oh, what now? A stampede of Sheeda creatures? Warlock-breed on a rampage? The outcasts rentering home in hopes of succour?

Boy, this situation just gets worse and worse. Unless Canis can get a Boom Tube going, or some other Deus Ex Machina rolls along, things might get a little tense. Or maybe they could construct an Electronic Thumb and flag down a passing freighter... :D Might have some arguing over 'Gas, grass or ass...'

23. Agent Orange

I there any particular reason they can't just call Oa or Maltus and ask for the date and time (and universe)? Or failing that tell the date by having their rings look at the stars and calculate it? If they are in the same universe OL could do a quick greedport to Earth and back, right? Just to do a debrief and get the date? If he can't then they'll know they are most likely somewhen else.

It sounds like they are keep their location a mystery for plot reason.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  24. Odysseus2099

Odysseus2099 Versed in the lewd.

It's possible to tell the date by looking at the stars if you've mapped out their courses and can calculate when you are by checking where they are on said course, but they haven't seen these stars before, so while they could chart them, they'd have no prior reference to compare them to to tell them where they are "supposed" to be.

And just calling Maltus/Oa is sufficiently obvious that they probably already tried it and got nothing due to being out of range.

Prince Charon and Gilhelmi like this.
  25. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

I'm going to bet the 'problem' is a large, gray rock-man carrying a rather angry archer.

Agent Orange likes this.
  26. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

dare i hope

Prince Charon likes this.
  27. Agent Orange

Since when do power rings have range for ET call home purposes?

I wish. Two New Gods walk into a bar... At least they could open a Boom tube back to Earth for the whole gang?

NightmareWarden likes this.
  28. Odysseus2099

Since they're limited to less than a single galaxy in Universe 16.

29. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

We've seen the rings communicate long distance before - when the SI was facing Johnny Sorrow on Themyscira he contacted the Guardians directly. With a strong enough connection to download/transmit a theoretical device for spacial stabilization and return results. Earth to Oa may not represent a full galaxy-spanning range, but it does suggest significant distance.

Chaoswind and infinityDivided like this.
  30. Odysseus2099

That's like saying that because a radio signal can be heard a block away, it should be able to be heard on Mars. There's multiple orders of magnitude difference in scale between intragalactic and intergalactic distances. Plus the stars don't match up to anything on their records, so they're not just in the next galaxy over, but in a galaxy out of visual range of the Milky Way, assuming they're in the same universe at all.

The furthest we can see from earth without Malthusean hypertech is 13 billion lightyears. By comparison the Milky Way Galaxy is "only" 105,700 lightyears across.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Chaoswind and Ardy like this.