1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

I suspect the tipping point of loss for Melmoth is gping to be when he tries to set up a stable time loop only to be told those don't exist anymore

Ngamer11 and NightmareWarden like this.
  2. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Poor guy is going to be thrown into the Retconnian with Malal and Horus

Ngamer11 and Someguy Somewhere like this.
  3. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Maximisers are actually a very fascinating concept, the main issue with them is that they have a tendency to go Horribly Right, with most end points being more on the horror side. Those end points can vary wildly depending on the specifics of the maximiser though, but instead of me prattling on have a video about them from Our Lord And Savour, Isaac Arthur.

Edit:The TLDW of the video, or at least the parts relevant to what I was talking about, is that if the maximiser, which I'll say is maximising paperclips to make this easier on myself, has the ability to consider what a paperclip even is than it might conclude that paperclips are things that Humans use to store information, so it will go about maximising Humans and our desire to store information.

Which would basically lead to Humanity becoming a hyper-efficient hybrid of the Imperial Adminastratum and Mechanicus, or to tie it into DC, an entire digitized civilization of Brainiac that exists only to learn, catalogue, and spread.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

As Zoat said Sally's life was filled with betrayal and exploitation.

It also included her boyfriend feeding her Jekyll's formula, or a derivative thereof. He was using it as a supersoldier serum.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Who could have guessed. :D

6. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I hope this happens. I’d be happy if that snark just slowed all of the Sheeda down for a while as they recalculate things in order to access all of the tools they usually have during a Harvest.

Darko and Ngamer11 like this.
  7. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

No, because the Guardians would have set up relay stations for ring signals. Their heads aren't so far up their butts that they would ignore basic communication infrastructure. I'm thinking they're in a parallel dimension or demi-plane or something.

8. Odysseus2099

Odysseus2099 Versed in the lewd.

...Relay stations in galaxies they've expressly never visited, or even seen? I have to question if you're actually paying attention to the conversation, or if you're just telling people they're wrong for the sake of it with no concern for what they're actually saying.

9. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

I may have missed it, in which case please direct me to where it can be found, but I don't remember seeing any reference to relay/communication stations existing for Glow-based communication. I also don't remember a point in the story where glow-based communication was established to have a distance-limit. I'm happy to accept that such limitations exist, but I'd like to know where it was established in the story.

IsActuallyBatman likes this.
  10. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

You know, I keep coming back to "Melmoth", "Sheeda-forming" and "WarWorld"...

11. Odysseus2099

Odysseus2099 Versed in the lewd.

Relay stations were never established to exist, the poster I was replying to just said they should, and I was saying that it wouldn't matter even if they did, because they are beyond where the Guardians would be capable of building them. Distance-limit was established by implication in the last update where Stewart says that they could be in a different galaxy but doesn't consider calling the Guardians, which he would if they were in range.

12. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

"Doesn't", I believe

Darko, Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  13. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Glow coms are confirmed to be intra galactic at the minimum, but since the glow is universal (Honden of avarice teleportation)
    , it's probably fair to say the communications are probably also universal.

If they can't contact the Guardians maybe it is because they are in a parallel universe that has no guardians. Also this planet could be inside the huntsman nebula man or whatever he is called, or a creature similar to him.

14. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Do not forget who you are talking about. The Justice League on most Earths can be pretty dense sometimes.

Heck, Earth-16 JL did not realize that slavery was going on at Camdus until Paul hit them over the head with the frying-pan of Common Sense. Double-Heck, the stupid stick started to rub off on Paul (as seen in the spin-off OMAC's titled "Department of Common Sense").

However, as many have pointed out, it is probably futile anyway. They are most likely in a Parallel Universe and there are risks to contacting people there because you might have no Guardian's, evil-Guardian's, or stupid Guardian's. (Good and Smart Guardian's are still hit/miss on whether they are willing to dedicate resources to help you.)

Darko, Cuchulin and infinityDivided like this.
  15. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Random thought: They have a John and a Paul, how long until they find a George and a Ringo?

Would one of the rings count as Ringo?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Darko, Xmaster3000 and DrThoth like this.
  16. Threadmarks: Faed Away (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

5th May
    02:53 GMT -5

Ahead, I see Alan shove the wave of grundywomen back, the revenants losing their footing as he moves them faster than their sluggish reflexes can accommodate. And this is a problem. The mob I can see represents a sizeable portion of Columbia's industrial base. While a powerful headshot will destroy a grundywoman, it will also ruin their economy. They literally won't be able to sustain themselves.

And I think Alan knows that and is holding off, because he's just as capable of headshotting them as I am. I don't see any living Columbians around, which is a moderate concern. Undead work gangs usually have overseers who make sure that their charges remain focused on their work and make running repairs to the flesh and the spells as necessary.

"Blue Lantern! What set them off?"

I come to a halt a short distance from him while John goes higher, green light strobing out as he searches for people in need of rescue.

"Your guess is as good as mine."

Unlike some types of fictional zombies, grundymen are completely silent. Their footsteps make noise, their clothing still rustles and blows still pound, but not a single sound issues from their mouths. No breathing, no moaning, no unbidden words.

"They're strong; stronger than the ones who attacked us at my home. But-"

He shoves the grundywomen he has contained, keeping them squeezed together and off-balance. They can't bring their strength to bear in a coordinated way.

"-I think I've got them."

I nod, taking a look through empathic vision. If someone is manipulating them, I should be able to see a reflection of their desires-.

Oh.

Strands leap out from my outstretched hands, striking each grundywoman on the back of her neck. Where every spine rider is crouching. And assimilate.

Most simply evaporate as I strike them, the undead they were controlling becoming listless and purposeless without their motivation. A few draw their swords from their host and slash my strands. That works until I reallocate strands that have already destroyed their targets and attack them from multiple directions. Hm, alright, I know that assimilation doesn't work as desired. Let's try something a little different.

I release my construct-Lantern wraith and deposit it just above the undead.

"Possess one of the Sheeda-faries."

"Gladly, master."

One spine rider simply tries to flee, and the orange spectre swiftly undulates through the air and catches up with it, circles around it and then lunges, passing into its body and causing its eyes to flare with orange light…

No disintegration.

I sigh. I'm going to need to assimilate more demons. I wonder if I can get a warlock to summon some for me?

"Did you get them all?"

Quick check…

"All the ones in the immediate vicinity. Remember, they can stab through construct barriers."

"I'll have you know I've dealt with stronger grundy-men than this." He dismisses his construct. "Green Lantern, did you find any stragglers?"

"No." John flies back our way. "And I didn't find any living people, either."

I look around-. We're on the periphery of the capital here, where they put their tanneries and other industrial processes so that the sound and smell can't offend the living. I can see people… Some distance away, but-.

"There should be more people here than this."

Alan blinks. "Melmoth kidnapped them?"

"Spine riders control people, and can plan and execute complex strategies. They could do this without Melmoth's direction." I look from Alan to John. "I don't suppose that either of you have a secret ward-bypassing scanning technique?"

John frowns. "I thought you did."

"Yes, but I doubt that we'll have hours. I-."

"Captain Atom to Blue Lantern and Green Lantern."

Alan nods. "We're here, Captain. Go ahead."

"I'm in a town to the north. We're under attack by some sort of stinging insect. I need one of you here to cover the evacuation."

Alan nods to John. "You're faster than m-."

"Physician to Justice League. A town to the north-west is under attack by a group of Sheeda-altered mantises. I would appreciate help."

Alan nods. "I'll take that one. Orange Lantern, can you follow up on these abductions?"

"On it. Canis, are you busy?"

"Even the songs they sing in praise of the Source are bland."

"Brut can track people shielded by magic, right?"

John shoots off to the north while Alan creates a compass construct before heading for Mr Yao.

"Of course."

"Please come to my current location. Spine riders appear to have abducted some locals."

"I come."

I look at the spine rider my wraith is possessing.

"Does your host know where they're going?"

"No, Master. This one was not called to return, merely to take a zombie and attack any humans it could find."

"Do they have an easy way to locate each other?"

"No, Master. Mundane senses only. Its magic skills are innate, not learned."

I nod as Brut lands at the end of the road and bounds towards me, Canis on his back.

"You have something for him to scent?"

"These grundywomen were taken by spine riders, and I've got a spine rider here."

I have the wraith-possessed spine rider fly downwards, and Brut gives it a quick sniff.

"And those who were taken?"

"No list. Their supervisors were taken too, and I've got no idea who owns each company or where they are."

"Then we will start in their middens. Forward!"

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  17. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

It's been so long since Paul has used that thing that I had wondered if he had forgotten about it.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, crud, has Melmoth managed to gain control of the Grundymen and women now? This just gets worse and worse!

Suggesting whoever was managing them has been deep-sixed, or worse. Something to look into after they're contained, though.

Admittedly, that covers most of the population of Columbia at this point. But immediate rescue, I can understand.

:confused: That's honestly worse than the groaning wheeze of the typical zombie. These could be standing right on top of you around a corner, and the first thing you'd know is when they lunge at you.

Good to see his experience shining through. And no issues from the vegetable matter they're no doubt infused with, since his old weakness is long gone with the Blue ring's programming update.

...It's not the Grundymen O'l Swirly-cheeks is controlling, is it? Because he's got Sheeda critters to waste...

Such an amusing image, though. Action-figure-sized fairies packing needle-sized rapiers, perched on the zombies' necks like a jockey on a horse, slashing and hacking like a grand melee...

Oh, yes, the Wraith. How many people forgot he even had that, again?

Handy. So a Construct-Lantern doesn't count as a construct. Or it was too quick for them to self-destruct.

More pressing concerns, OL, than restocking your guilt-free army of Construct Lanterns...

Nasty. Amazing how much anti-Lantern tech the Sheeda has, given they come from an era where all Lanterns would likely have been long dead. Presumably learnt from previous Harrowings.

No corpses? Looks like the Spine Riders were busy, then. Melmoth must want servants again.

Worrying, very worrying, but at least they haven't all been taken. Yet.

Boy, that would be real nice to have right now. And for some reason, I now have the sneaking suspicion the old Scry-wards the Light use (probably produced by Klarion?) are based on Sheeda designs...

By the time you finish a Quintessence Waveform scan, the Columbians could all be dead...

Oh, that's not good. Divide and conquer tactics now?

Seriously? Giant bugs? Melmoth really loves that vermin theme, doesn't he?

Is Beton Brut busy, you mean? Sniffer dog for the win.

It'd certainly get around the scan-blocking. The question is, will they have enough of a scent for him to pick up on?

And only in this business could you utter a sentence like that with complete seriousness.

Ugly little shit that it is.

Because of course that would make it easy. Yay for terror tactics.

Which means the Wraith can't force it to use them? :rolleyes: Even better.

Okay, Good Boy, time to prove your worth.

Guessing the Wraith won't throw off his senses. I doubt Construct Lanterns have any scent.

Working from the bottom up, I see. Guess that shows his opinion of the Sheeda.

Well, then. The party's split again. Hopefully this was the only place Spine Riders showed up, and that the others aren't compromised. And where's Wonder Woman? With the council, trying to encourage them to evacuate the people? Because she would be a grand prize for Melmoth to make a play for...

Would 'footing' work better here, because at first reading it sounds more literal.:confused:
    ...and deposit it just above the undead. Also, missing line return here.
    Possibly 'senses'? I suppose it depends on context?

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Those should say Captain Atom. Major is only for when he is in civilian mode.

20. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

Probably should be "grundywomen", based on context.
    Looks like an overzealous autocorrect.

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    'Ringo' is a fairly unusual name, so not very high.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Have I established that in this story? Because that sounds silly, but I've done worse before.

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Yes. You specifically mentioned it was to keep the name that people remember and even changed previous instances to reflect that. I can't remember when, but I think I also pointed it out and it was edited to always say Captain Atom.

23. Mr Zoat

I'll correct it, then.

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's been long enough that the Demons should have a counter to Assimilation by now.

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He could always just make some sort of trade with Mammon.

26. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

he not gonna go for the strong one

his old army group was energy-vore and the Wraith is a body snatcher

Paul definitely seem like he gonna go for low level demon with fancy exotic ability then any strong one with vary and powerful ability

i doubt those grunt are given defense for Assimilation

27. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

same here. i honestly couldn't remember if OL had anything like that left, after the hunger demon things (Fatty?) were destroyed. while i'm not complaining and am happily here for the ride, it feels like all of my favorite things about this ongoing story are rarely used now.

SemiAnarchist likes this.
  28. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Honestly, seems like time to raid hell for more expendable troops.

IIRC, even 1 Fatty is enough to make a horde eventually.

Darko, Ardy and moralrelativity like this.
  29. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

That's a reasonable and understandable interpretation. I agree that Guardian's wouldn't find it practical to produce/place relay stations outside of their sphere of influence should such technologies be required for ring-based communications.

In my head, I interpret Glow-based communication to be based in part on trans-planar communication (sort of what the SI does with his Gimme-port, but safer since it's only done for messages) or at least powered by such. Without power degradation in the signal, a distance limit seems unlikely (though still possible). I would interpret Stewart as offering his experiences with more mundane technologies as a possible explanation since he doesn't seem like the sort of person who would actively try to find out from the Guardians how Glow-based works and/or what limitations it may have. Being trained the military, he uses the technology that works as instructed, and lets other people worry about how it works.

Xmaster3000 and Ngamer11 like this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe make it 'a short'

'for people'

You have my sympathy Zoat for dealing with the mods.

I also decided to follow your example and blocked Vaermina.