1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I mean he did kill a lot of people.

Xmaster3000, Istaran, lywrin and 2 others like this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

OL did fight a cult that used a piece of the AL Equation, so they most likely get both magic and tech.

Prince Charon likes this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Who were mostly soldiers fighting him and his forces, as well continuing the chaos.

I doubt he ordered them to be tortured to death in front of everyone in the conquered cities.

4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Since after one last visit to the world of Gate we'll be back with Paul, I kinda want the Harrowing to just be skipped. Maybe a mention of Paul becoming Paulphidian and wowing the descendants of Melmoth and other stuff so that we can go to whatever the next episode is about. Unless it is just about the Harrowing, though I'm hoping that isn't the case.

Cuchulin, DrThoth and Darko like this.
  5. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

This is nice. I was hoping to see artemis debrief to the team, or just tell her mother what happened. I don't really wanna see either of them turning to ponies to deal with this, it cheapens the effect and shouldn't help anyway.

They need to reacquaint to earth. Not fuck off and visit another new world.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They also need some therapy, and visiting a world that literary radiates friendship is a good way to get some, as well as letting them go to a place that is a bit less stress inducing than Earth.

Yeah they need to reacquaint themselves, but they may also need a place to go to if it feels a bit too much.

Chaoswind likes this.
  7. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

thank you, i missed it.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

It's not Darkseid's crime bible, it's the testament of Cain.

I doubt that Darkseid would invent a religion that worships someone else, it's easier for me to believe he just co-opted the religion.

There's speculation that a coven of supposedly satanic witches that Batman ran into might be Darkseid worshippers, but I repeat, speculation.

Wheenesss and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Well, he's also a far better father than Sportsmaster ever was, so there's that (though I'm not sure if 'father' is all that accurate for his relationship to her).

Chojin Patriarch and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

She wouldn't look like a teenager though. It's been long enough for her to finish growing up. If she went with dark hair, Artemis could pass as someone else entirely.
    Probably a good idea for her to talk to Wonder Woman as well.

11. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Ponies next?

Luna will definitely understand.

Cuchulin, Chaoswind and Darko like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She may still look like her teenage self, because when Renegade invaded her fortress he said that aside from the white hair she looks exactly like she did.

This could mean her godhood made her stay that age, or that renegade doesn't have a perfect recollection of how she looked when they last saw each other.

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

About as expected. Interesting that the sucupires(?) can feel his altered god-state.

The dynamics of The Team are going to be… strained, given half of them will be able to feel that Artemis is a god-queen.

o_O What exactly about Equestria makes you think the Elements disaprove of benevolent dictators?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Wheenesss, Ardy, DrThoth and 2 others like this.
  14. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Always has been...

Seriously, Grayven and Artemis as heterosexual platonic lifemates would work for me. He kind of had the same dynamic with Sunset, where I could have seen it going in a romantic direction, but instead went purely in a coworker/partner direction.

I mean, he needs to start building his pantheon, right?

In a similar vein to the other rec above: Slip Ups by Aytheria.

(Also, you obviously mean 'first'. Anyone who tells you to start with The Magician's Nephew is simply wrong, and I'm including Lewis himself there.)

15. Pez

Pez Spaceman

I have to ask - why is everybody so all in on ponies? In the entire DCverse, everybody is rooting for Renegade to end up with the pony. I don't get it.

16. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

They don't need therapy, they need to re-familiarise themselves with their homes and families.
    Running off to another world won't help, even if it does radiate friendship juice.

Lots of us arn't. Personally, I don't like it at all. I feel like the pony's have been nothing but a detriment to the story since they first cropped up,and that Sunset Shimmer could/should have been replaced with a DC native or OC magic user.

The "Magic of harmony to counteract the anti-life" thing is pretty fitting, but i'd have preferred to have Grayven show up, get blasted with it and then immediately leave.
    The entire Pony subplot is an incredibly jarring juxtaposition with the rest of the story. Especially with Renegade,

But Zoat likes it this way so i'll keep my peace.
    There's no practical value in ragging on it every time it pops up.

In this case, however, 'Friendship magic' is genuinely not the solution to their problems.
    Grayven and Artemis need real friendship, which means they need to spend time around their peers and friends to try to reconnect in a familiar environment.

Not leave on another adventure to yet another foreign world, surrounded by strange aliens.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahh, yeah they may actually need therapy, specifically the kind that helps people reconnect with those they haven't seen in a long time and helps them after they've been gone for a long time and have been in stressful situations.

The type of therapy soldiers, former prisoners and kidnapping victims get.

Reconnecting with friends is necessary, but it wouldn't hurt to have the help of a professional there to make sure all goes well and doesn't go wrong.

And going to Wilson is also a good thing since they may need some place where they can feel comfortable, and them not recognising things from their home is not exactly the most comfortable experience.

They can bring their friends with them to Wilson.

18. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

You don't do that by leaving your friends and home behind and going to another world.
    Even taking your friends with you would just put you ALL in an unfamiliar situation.

You return to your previous life by submerging yourself in the familiar. Not by running away to an alien planet.

Also, since when are ponies 'professional help'?
    They're not therapists, they're cartoon horses. At best they have magic that make friendship easier, but 'magic' isn't the solution here.
    Actually interacting with other human beings is the answer.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

When I said they should go to Wilson I didn't mean they should stay there forever, I meant that if they feel too stressed being back on Earth going to another place, for just a little while, not forever, may just be the thing that can help them.

Submerging themselves into their old lives may not be all that easy and would most likely lead to some bad situations, but slowly reintegrating themselves into their old lives, while having a place to temporarily retreat to if they're too stressed, could greatly help them.

Equestria is also far more peaceful than Earth, barring the occasional villanous plot, but still more tame than most Earth things, so if they want to go some place where they're unlikely to be too stressed out and potentially see some interesting magical things that aren't just fleshy bug things, well Equestria is a good place to do so.

When I said professional help I meant therapists, not some random ponies.

And what's stopping some ponies from being professional therapists?

We've seen pony soldiers, chefs, lawyers etc., so I don't see why some of them can't be therapists.

Also in case you forgot Luna has been in a similar situation as them, being stuck in a place far away from anyone she knew for a long, long time, so she can sympathize and offer some aid to them.

One of the reasons the pony thing happened, aside from getting rid of the equation, was to give the renegade some character development.

If you remember renegade promised Luna that he'll try to be a nicer guy, while before that he was mostly an asshole to people aside from his family.

After a while reading about an asshole character can become tiresome and the character is just stale and uninteresting.

It also showed us a new romance for the renegade, one that is very different compared to his other two with Jade and Komand'r.

With both of them he would have been unlikely to change much from how he was due to both of them sharing some of his assholish qualities, Jade not really regretting all the murders she committed and Komand'r basically being a warmonger, but with Luna we get something new, someone that can actually allow us to see a different side to him and further develop his character.

As to why Zoat chose the ponies for this, well one reason is that he's a fan of the franchise, and the other reason is that he may feel that Luna and his renegade are perfect for each other.

It also wouldn't be the first time DC comics has done a crossover with another franchise, this one will just last for a longer time.

20. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thanks, now I'm having flash backs to the KFC crossover.

I'm trying to get in the mood for some light eldritch body horror, and now all I want to do is go watch M.U.G.E.N. for a few hours so I can see a clown and a chef fighting to the death.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This is something that should be on Doom Patrol.

And I hope it one day is.

Cuchulin and Assblaster5000 like this.
  22. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

She obviously has the seniority (in just about every way by an order of magnitude) now. She'll be their queen bee. Aqualad might as well resign as a team lead ;)

DrThoth likes this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Artemis basically has the qualifications to become a League member now.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. DbDRAKE

DbDRAKE Possibly some sort of Actual Dragon?

Personally, I like it because of the incredibly jarring juxtaposition.

I like the idea of a "hard man making hard decisions" style dark utilitarian edge-suzerain walking into a set of characters and plots where the lawful/chaotic good solution is actually the best one, as enforced by the universal constants of Friendship and Magic.

It provides a nice contrast, and I like when Ophidian MC and Grayven MC move towards each other on the character number line.

It amuses me that the MC that did the most to make himself unrecognizable is closer to being a normal human than the MC that just looks like a Calvin Kline English dude.

Cuchulin, Wheenesss, iamnuff and 2 others like this.
  25. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I wonder if Artemis is going to take a trip to New Genesis to help sort herself out. Surely a few of those New Gods spent centuries on foreign worlds without true peers or their preferred technology.

nick012000 and Ardy like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think they have any contacts on New Genesis on the renegade side.

Renegade, Scott and Barda went to Apokalips, but from what I remember they never went to New Genesis and the only time anyone interacted with someone from there was when Renegade briefly teamed up with the Forever People.

Still Scott and Barda may be able to relate to some of that.

Cuchulin, nick012000 and Ardy like this.
  27. Threadmarks: Gateway (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Late Summer, IC 687

"Shit."

"Prince Diabo, the dragon may have-"

"Shit."

"-an understanding of language and it-"

"Shit."

"-genuinely wants to comply-"

"Shit."

"-with your instructions, but you do need to actually-"

"Shit."

"-express them coherently."

Diabo merely clutches the hastily converted saddle's reins and stares straight ahead as the dragon he's sitting on flaps towards Alnus Hill. As I suspected, he found it far easier to force it to do what he wanted it to than he would have to beat it down, and right now it's got a glowing Orange Lantern sigil shining out of its forehead. We interrupted it in the middle of 'burninating' an elven village, where the locals were ineffectually trying to kill it with what appeared to be longbows. Fortunately for the locals, Diabo drew its attention almost immediately, and now we have a way to make an epic entrance.

"Shit."

If he can regain sufficient control of himself to actually use this ring.

"I can't really see from here, but from the sounds we were hearing earlier I suspect that the people we are flying towards have a large number of weapons which can accurately hit flying targets. If you can't get a hold of yourself, they will shoot you dead. If you want to live, I can only suggest that you grow some testicles."

"Yes, yes I want to live, but this is insane!"

"I know. You beat a dragon in a fight. Who knew you had it in you?"

"I don’t-."

"Oh that's right! Me. I did. And while you're not exactly impressing me right now, I have faith that you can handle this."

"R-really?"

"I could have chosen anyone in the Empire. I chose you. Now, can you work with me?"

"What range do their air weapons have?"

"Want to know, and the orange light will show you."

It takes him a moment, but glowing orange reins appear around the dragon's muzzle and pull it into a circling pattern while Diabo's eyes glow orange. Interestingly, I can see what he's showing himself as the ring picks out infantry fighting vehicles, tanks and gun emplacements owned by the people who now hold the area around the gate. Looks like… NATO standard equipment… Late twentieth century. High rate of fire explosive-driven kinetics for the most part. They don't appear to have any dedicated anti-air, though that may be because they saw that diving wyverns died perfectly easily to automatic rifles. The flag is… Post World War 2/Pre Great Awakening Japanese, though oddly I'm not seeing anyone from America.

The ring also shows him ranges and arcs of fire, and while he twitches he doesn't let his fear of getting shot distract him. I metaphorically nod approvingly as he bards his mount and armours himself in glowing plates instead.

"What should I do?"

"That depends on a number of factors. Meeting up with the commanders of the Empire's armies will firmly establish your authority with them, and allow you to halt any foolish attacks against the Japanese position. Attacking the Japanese directly will allow you to utterly destroy them. You could then use this ring to shut down the gate, or bury it in a hole. You could even use this ring to mentally dominate the Japanese and learn their secrets."

"That sounds risky."

"I'm afraid that there is nothing that can be done here that is entirely without risk. Another option would be to attempt to negotiate with the Japanese. This ring will allow you to understand any language and be understood in any language."

"And they won't attack me?"

"There are no guarantees. But there are ways to indicate that you wish to parley that it would be surprising for them to ignore."

"A.. white flag. We use something similar."

"Though to be honest, establishing yourself as powerful and then attempting to negotiate might be a better idea. Are there any wounded Empire soldiers down there?"

"They-."

And now he sees what heavy machine gun ammunition and canister tank rounds do to people in lamellar armour. Ah… Well, the Empire's army has only just arrived, so those are almost certainly the reserves for the original attack…

"No."

"In that case, I'm going to suggest flying down and landing just ahead of the Imperial army."

"Those are actually.. vassal armies. The Imperial army hasn't arrived yet. Which… Is almost certainly my father's intention."

"They die, he has some spies watching and learns what the Japanese can do without risking any further Empire soldiers and doesn't have to worry about the vassals siding with the Japanese. What a depressingly short term thinker." Hm. "Do you have a personal standard?"

"Yes? I don't.. use it very often…"

"Prince Diabo, you're hesitant. And I understand why. But I'm sorry to say that the only way to overcome these obstacles is to rise to them. To confront them. The only way to stop feeling the constant fear that you feel is to throw yourself into it. If you were now the man you ideally want to be, what would you do?"

He breathes in.

He breathes out.

Then we're diving towards the centre of the battlefield, construct wyvern riders bearing the standards of the Empire and the Imperial family and blowing battle horns. Through his ring-granted sight I see the moment the Japanese soldiers spot us. They're well-disciplined; there's no panic or shouting, just people rapidly talking on their radio. And I see one man… A lieutenant, mouths the words 'raid boss', and I see the tanks and IFVs aim their primary armaments in our direction.

And then we land, the dragon-.

The air in front of us lights up, rifle rounds, depleted uranium anti-armour rounds and heavy machine gun rounds slamming into a construct barrier just in front of us! I see that Diabo has reinforced his own armour. Not to better protect him, but to keep his limbs from trembling as he endures that assault. The wyvern construct escort fall in close by our dragon's sides and are dismissed.

Then Diabo rises off the dragon's saddle, floats over its head and stops just this side of the construct barrier he's using to keep the firepower of the Japanese assault force off him. He stays there for thirty seconds, until an order goes out on the Japanese side and the fire slackens off somewhat. They're still shooting, but it looks like they know that the weapons they're using aren't going to brute force their way through.

Then Diabo lands, creates a construct table and chairs and sits down. Behind him, a construct standard appears with the flags of the Empire, the Imperial family and a third which I assume is his personal device. Next to it, he transmutes a white flag and attaches it to a wooden pole.

As the fire from the Japanese army stops he puts his feet up on the table to wait.

"You were right."

"Oh?"

"Yes. It is very hygienic."

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  28. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

No brown pants in the Orange Lantern Corps.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'locals'

maybe 'sounds'

'do their'

Another way of saying slaves.

Wait until you meet his other son.

What will the next episode be called?

30. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

I giggled.

I'm also sure it should be mouths.