1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

This chapter really should have been Paragon's war against the Sheada invasion...

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    No, feudal inferiors.
    Cold Iron.
    Thank you, corrected.

3. My_Game_Account

My_Game_Account Getting sticky.

Now that is how you portray someone pants shittingly terrified. Most fics give us a random mook with no reason to care how said mook feels. It is nice to be a little bit invested so I can empathize. Thanks for the chapter.

Eld_Tiger, Sojiko, KenNM and 19 others like this.
  4. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

his -> him

5. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And back to Gate-verse to round things out. Wonder how Diabo's getting on...

Well, I see he's doing well. Needs to remember to focus on Want, not Fear, but so far, so good.

...Okay, not so good. Focus, lad, focus.

"Well, Diabo's gone bye-bye. Any other suggestions?"

At this rate, he's gonna lose control of the dragon. Unless OL is handling it.

I don't know, maybe he wants it to defecate on whoever he's flying over?

On something much bigger than a wyvern. That would definitely get people's attention, I think.

At this rate, he may well force himself into Fear enlightenment. He's certainly in no danger of a heart attack, at any rate, thanks to Wholeness Rightly Assumed.

Good to see some rational thought at last. Now, back on task, lad.

Show some confidence, kid. You're wearing the greatest tool in the universe on your finger, and have the greatest Illustres of the Orange Lanterns advising you.

There we go, he's finally focusing on how awesome he just was. That's a great help to his desire to continue looking cool.

Given it's modern day military tech, the answer may as well be 'Yes.' Especially when the locals are still wielding spear, shield and bow.

In other words, there won't be quite as much dick-swinging macho bullshit from their leadership. :p No Americans, after all.

Howsabout not go charging in like a dumb Mob. With Environmental field and Construct Armour in place, you are effectively immune to everything short of a bunker-buster. You have all the advantages here.

Yes, dominating a sapient being with clearer-defined wants isn't as easy as putting the mind-whammy on a dumb overgrown lizard.

Ah, the benefit of OL advising him. Going for the rational, non-combative route. The joy of Diplomancy.

It's something of a near-universal symbol, isn't it? Are there any cultures on Earth that don't have something like it?

Against modern weaponry? Hamburger would be a charitable description...

Yep. Not pretty. At least it'll reinforce his desire not to be hurt.

No wonder people don't like him much. It sound like he's planning to throw his disposable grunts into a meat-grinder.

I doubt it's ever been seen in public at all, outside of formal occasions, probably. Diabo doesn't strike me as having been given much authority anywhere.

Be a badass. You are riding a fricking dragon covered in magic orange light. This is not hard.

Whahahahaha. Time to show these rubes what a Lantern can do.

And now he sees just how tough his desire to stay safe is. More confidence-boosting.

And somewhere inside the ring, OL is smirking to himself about outdated weapons. Good way to show you aren't scared of guns.

And that is how you make an entrance! Bonus style points for him nonchalance. I wonder how long they'll take before one of the Japanese officers steps forward...

Brick joke! ;) ...because he was literally shitting bricks? Eh? Eh? ...Or... o_O Not shitting them as it turns out.

It's almost a pity we'll not be seeing this scenario again for a while, really. I kind of want to get snippets of Diabo and the Japanese sorting things out through jolly cooperation. Bonus hilarity if he goes through the Gate, and OL pops back into humanoid form because the local gods can't stop him.

You did this multiple times throughout the scenes... Everything I can find says his name is Diabo Sol Caesar... Or maybe Ring-OL just doesn't care enough to keep it straight?

7. Mr Zoat

No, a faulty assumption of mine that given the number of punny names his would fit that mould.

8. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

As a ring does he still have to recharge?

9. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

This is GATE...that...yeah, that really isn't going to happen, sorry.

Remember this is the series written by what is the Japanese version of a hard-right unapologetic nationalist who included a scene where unprepared JMSDF recruits thrashed veteran U.S. Special Forces. You'll get more restraint on the macho jingoism from a Tom Clancy novel.

10. Tembu

Tembu Trying to read here

Finally an arc I can follow.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

So, odds that the Gate MC is a big enough nerd to recognize the Orange Lantern Ring on sight the moment he gets close enough to see it?

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's assuming that DC comics even exist in his world.

Cuchulin and Alexandercctv like this.
  13. Nashk

Nashk Getting out there.

I wouldn't be too bothered if it was just a squad of special forces, the Jsdf are the protagonists so its expected. No what bothered me was that it wasnt just a single US squad, it was an unprepared jsdf vs multiple special forces from around the world... and it was a one sided stomp.

But then again that is far from the worst the writing gets so...

14. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

NOOOO!

ENOUGH OF THE FUCKING SHEEDA PLEASE!

15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Agreed. We just need an overview of what happened, then we can go to something else.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sadly the next episode will feature them paragon side.

Apparently it's named Cold Iron, something which has a connection to fairies in myth.

17. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I mean, Paragon's last episode ended with him discovering that the Sheeda have already started their invasion. The next episode was always going to be about that, one way or the other.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, but I think most people were hoping that it would just have a short segment where he just merges with the Ophidian and eats them, and then just move on to something else.

Cuchulin and Pinklestia like this.
  19. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

*patpats, offers a muffin*
    i know, I know, I hate the psychopathic space elves too!

Cuchulin, Pinklestia and Darko like this.
  20. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

Only if that’s what the corpsman really wants.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  21. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Honesty would have been so hard to warp this arc earlier? Is getting TNMT 2003 in the future kind of tedious.

22. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

This is basically the end of 'season 4' of this fic (the other major events, going by rough episode numbering, were the canon season 1 finale, the confrontation with Nabu, the Silver City invasion and now the Sheeda) but usually things are wrapped up in two 'episodes,' while we've had three so far (even if one was Renegade). Unless the Crisis of Infinite Pauls was the end of season 4, in which case it seems strange to have a multi-episode arc so soon after, relatively speaking.

Part of me is hoping for some actual Faerie content instead. I'd like to see how Paragon reacts to/deals with Morgaine le Fey.

23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  24. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

IIRC it wasn't a one-sided stomp. It was a bunch of different special forces teams killing each other in a multi-sided fight while the JSDF hunkered down and shot the ones who came at them.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  25. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Even if DC Comics is a thing in the Gate version of Earth, I'm pretty sure the protagonist was just a huge anime and manga otaku. Not a geek for American comic books.

So someone else would probably have to inform the Japanese what they're dealing with if enough information got out.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

My understanding is that Gate appeared in April year 20XX, and we aren't getting the Earth dates in these updates.

So this might be happening before orange lanterns were even a thing in DC comics in Jan 2008.

So "Oh, like the green lantern ring?" might be the response.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Threadmarks: Cold Iron (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Cold Iron

25th June 2012
    11:25 GMT

John and I simultaneously generate construct barriers to shield the population of the park, and I rise a short distance into the air as I use my ring to scan the area. Patchy return from the Sheeda units, and it looks like they're dropping off infantry in the town.

"Orders, Captain?"

More proof that the Justice League needs a better-. An actual command structure. Diana has command of the mission, but everyone else who went along only has the authority she chose to give them. I'm asking Major Adams for orders because he has seniority… Literally, a higher number, not because he's actually supposed to be in charge of anything. But if a man who fought in the Vietnam War is shy about ordering us to kill people…

I glance down and I see him reason through the issues associated with using League power in a situation like this. He isn't ignorant by any means, and I see my own face from multiple angles, his recollections of points I raised giving direction to his own-

"Military order. Stop the attack."

-intuitions.

"Good-"

Thin strands of orange light leap from my shield constructs, each one terminating in-. Okay, they dissolve into orange mist just before hitting the Sheeda. Fine, since the Sheeda seem to be members of the 'no helmet' club, I generate pulse laser constructs and open fire with those instead. Three, four drop, flies wallow in the air as their wings begin to burn-.

"-show."

The horde vanishes. I continue shooting at their predicted last locations, careful to aim upwards so that I don't risk hitting the town I'm trying to protect. Next, armour from subspace and-

The first entropic rays burn lines across the sky, but with my armour still optimised to withstand them I'm not all that worried.

-switch to sensor-based targeting. Visible light lasers aren't going to work on people using invisibility, so I switch to masers.

Below me, Beulah has her jezzail out and I hear a boom as she opens fire. Abednego is sheltering the theonomist who is clutching a cluster of small sigils and chanting quickly. Hopefully, some sort of mass-countermagic. Major Adams is receiving a frantic briefing from a British Army captain someone found him. Without any sort of augmented vision his ability to kill our attackers will be severely compromised.

There's a flash of light-. A tent I hadn't noted before is marked with the sword on a shield design of the Congregation glows brilliantly for a moment, then a group of five Congregationalists run out. They're not wearing their usual loose red clothes with white detailing any more; they're in light body armour with a runic design which.. a momentary review suggests is there to improve their energy discharges. Further flashes follow as more of them teleport in.

Whoever's firing those entropic rays has gotten their eye in. A series of beams strikes my cuirass, a flicker of light at first and then a continual beam. The origin point appears to be an empty space and if they're not worried about focused electromagnetic energy at all… Yes, the beams don't cut out when I point my masers their way.

But guess who's not the only one who can create entropic rays?

The maser constructs grow slightly but maintain their outlines, then the maser beams vanish and red beams flick out. I can't see the Sheeda, but I know their shape and can judge their approximate loc-.

Yes, there we go. Beams cut out and there, the gunfly and its passengers flicker back into visibility with chunks of their bodies missing. Fragile, then.

A cluster of Congregationalists are gathered at the south side of the park, glowing as they build up power. About half of the army contingent is forming up in a line behind them, all either wearing goggles or obviously shielding their eyes in preparation for the eventual discharge.

It's been a while since I've been to Ipswich, but the place looks reasonably intact. I don't think this area has seen sustained fighting-.

A crisp packet vanishes and I fire again, hitting a Sheeda soldier who had been too confident in his invisibility. Spraying fire at that area gets me another two kills and a dozen potholes. I've got no idea whether the Sheeda can see each other or what their drill is, so I don't know if there will be others close together like that… But the streets look relatively empty. I-.

The light flares and my world briefly goes dark. The town is blindingly illuminated, and-. I'm getting returns from the Sheeda. I stick with entropic beams, shooting out the heads of the flies with support weapons. There… Don't appear to be as many as I registered coming in. Pulled back? Teleported?

"You best with the soldiers or staying here?"

John might not be able to kill people without specific Guardian authorisation, but he can shield other people while they do it. And he can beat someone nearly to death and then leave them for someone else to finish off. And… If the Sheeda start using mass entropic ray fire on the refugees, he… Probably couldn't stop that. I could.

"Staying here. I've got the shields."

His constructs vanish and he heads to the front lines as the soldiers storm forwards, medics checking the collapsed Congregationalists and directing stretcher-bearers to move them back out of the way. Radio detection shows John relaying the positions of the Sheeda to the officers directing the attack while I continue my fly cull. Red beams flash out of a house in the path of the advance, but John's command of ablative barriers and his sheer bloody-mindedness allow him to keep his shield up for long enough to swing a wrecking ball construct into the wall next to them. Soldiers just behind him… Don't bother taking cover, which… Yes, with guns like these there wouldn't be much point. Instead they crouch to minimise their profile and open fire, shredding the interior of the upper floor of the house.

Not a lot of flies left. I'm leaving a few to try and tempt the Sheeda soldiers to cluster around them to try and escape, as well as shooting Sheeda in the path of the soldiers' advance to thin their numbers and reduce their ability to resist. I don't think they're taking it-.

Across the town, Sheeda soldiers fix shields in place while others move to whatever flat surfaces they can and trace out symbols-.

I begin sniping the ones doing the tracing, shifting guns around-.

Red beams from my right, outside of the cone affected by the Congregationalists! I shift focus, retraining my guns on the place the beams appear to come from and reinforcing-

"AAAAH!"

-the barrier protecting the panicking civilians below me. Major Adams takes a shot and the burned remains of a gunfly and its crew collapse and fall to the ground. Since the ground on that side is open fields I switch to railguns, loading Columbian-enchanted mageslayers and opening fire. I miss twice as the fly riders learn how to shoot and scoot, but clipping a single wing is all it takes to break the invisibility effect. Beulah hits my target with an incineration round a moment later and immolates them.

The rapidly-traced circles shimmer into… They look like Dolmen gates. I… No, Major Adams is in charge and my primary responsibility is to defend the civilian population.

I abandon my gun constructs, generate a large fly swatter construct and swing it through the area occupied by the distraction attack. Tiny disruptions mark where flies are struck and I extrude cables to assimilate them. As predicted, the local Sheeda are under the same onus as those in Columbia and decay the moment I get solid contact.

"Orange Lantern!" I look around to Major Adams. "Try and take some alive!"

I stop the swatter construct on its next hit and change it into a net, which wraps around something I can't see and binds it. Then… Drain.

There's a weight on the bottom of the construct as the fly and its passengers collapse, shimmering back into visibility as the enchantments on their chitin and armour are consumed. Looking back at Ipswich I see that all of the Sheeda who were rendered visible have retreated. Those still alive, anyway; rushed Dolmen gates appear to have a failure rate.

"Orange Lantern, stay on overwatch but keep listening. Green Lantern, stay with the soldiers as they sweep and clear. I need to find out what the hell is going on."

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You know... Realistically Paul's actions in Gate would probably backfire...

Because if the JSDF can't actually secure things, they will probably shove a nuke through, and not one of those low yield nuclear weapons Grayven dealt with either, but a double or triple megaton yield big boy that would completely annihilate everything.

Chaospawn, DAT_NOOB, Relyt33 and 4 others like this.
  29. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

JSDF don't have nukes. Japan probably could create their own nukes if they wanted to, but it would take months.

30. SemiAnarchist

SemiAnarchist Versed in the lewd.

Affect should be effect.