1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Paul has been ringslinging for two years now, in which he's encountered numerous people who actually had training.

If Zoat's rules were Paul mistaking his own limitations for a ring's limitations, the time to show that was before now.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The ones he's seen using their rings may have also not known about those features, or they just didn't use them because they either haven't mastered them, or just consider the whole one color constructs and connected to the ring thing to be easier to do than making them another color or trying to disconnect the constructs from the ring.

This story also isn't your typical fanfic and it may last for decades, so Zoat could have years before he reveals something about the limitations and abilities of a power ring.

NightmareWarden, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  3. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Consequnces of natural growth hormones over several centuries? Malvolio, it's not recommended to stay anabolic ALL the time, even if you mitigate the downsides with that ring. All else aside, you run into the square cube law eventually.

4. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Honestly? I think queen whatsherface is wasting her time. Sure she's desperate, but I really can't see Malvolio being able to turn the situation on his own. Earth has waaaay too much muscle, and Anti-Lantern (courtesy of OL) crap for one power ring user to make much of a dent.

And honestly...can he even been more powerful/skilled a user than Hal, Guy, Alan, and OL? I have a hard time buying the he could be. Unless he's doing shit with the green light no one knew was possible. But if that's the case...how did he find it? All locked what in the Void as he has been.

Again, all I really remember about him was that he wanted to use Hal in his war against the Old timer....and that never went anywhere, and I'm struggling to remember who the Old timer even is.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may have been exposed to the light for centuries, unlike Alan who has just been exposed to it for decades.

He also most likely practiced using his ring for all those centuries and discovered all sorts of interesting things.

The ones you listed may be more skilled than him and battle hardened, but that doesn't mean he can't give them a challenging fight.

We already saw him tell OL to fuck off when he tried looking through the Honden, so he has experience in manipulating his light in advanced ways, and may be able to do to Jordan, Guy and John what Paul did to Ragnar, manipulate his ring and make it stop working.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  6. Maxx Crowley

True, he might be well learned in experimentation so to speak. Spending however long develing into the green light.

But how much practical knowledge does he have?

In traditional martial arts I find that to be one of the most frustrating things. People who cling to techniques and teachings that have no practical value in a fight. When their goal IS to fight. (what you do for fun, exercise, or your own spirituality is your business.)

What I mean is, can he put what he knows to use in battle...and how will that match up to a really battle tested Earth force. All the lanterns alone have been through some shit.

He's obviously got power. His will was more then enough to give OL a good shove. But how well will that translate?

Still, I find it hard to believe he could stand up to the entire League, YJ team, and any allies OL can pull, without basically a thick set of villain plot armor.

And considering how utterly fucked Zoat's power rings are by magic....

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Good point.

Still I'm assuming that if he does fight he won't be a pushover, even if he does lose.

8. Maxx Crowley

I do have to wonder if he's ever actually fought. With his ring that is.

From what I remember, his Father was green Lantern. Malvolio killed him and took his ring. The Guardians sent another GL to deal with the situation (and I believe wanted Malvolio killed) But their agent didn't want to kill him, and instead imprisoned him in the Void Hal found him in.

Plot, plot, plot and Malvolio manipulates Hal into taking his ring out of the void...and is never seen again.

So really, I guess it's all up to Zoat. Given how weak I find OL to be, if he gets his ass kicked by a green ring, after getting his ass kicked by magic I don't know how many times AND killed by the Pidgeon of War...I'll be nettled. Perhaps even...bumfuzzled.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    TopHatWearer and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Maxx Crowley

Oh, and speaking of Old villains.

Mr. Zoat, is Myrwhydden a thing in Universe 16? I believe he should be imprisoned IN Hal's ring.

All this thinking of Hal's ring, Malvolio's ring, and the like popped him into my head.

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  10. Threadmarks: Cold Iron (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

26th June 2012
    16:55 GMT -5

A nice way of putting it. Honestly, we'd be happy with him declaring that it was no affair of his and letting us get on with it, but this way she implies that ours is the one in accordance with the rules of civilisation. Because he's very big on that.

"You do agree then with Cicero's maxim 'In war the law is silent'?"

I take a moment to study the Sheeda in more detail. Gloriana herself has pale turquoise skin and the classically elven pointed ears, and small ear rings hang from her lobes on either side. There are… 5? Short horn-stumps sticking out of the top of her head, and her clothing is… Oh, who am I kidding, it's dominatrix gear. Mostly skin tight save for where it's been cut away to expose more skin, decorative 'armoured' shoulder pads, silly semi-ruff thing that's probably an attempt to compensate for her slight and unimposing frame. Her eyes are completely black, which is a little disturbing, but all in all I'm left with a powerful reminder that a person can accomplish deeds of great malevolence without being particularly threatening in themselves.

She's accompanied by two 'beta' dommes, characterised by their conical hats, lack of ear rings and smaller breasts. Their clothing reveals less skin and looks slightly more armoured, though I can't see the runework which usually marks Highborn Sheeda out as particularly dangerous. Her handmaidens, I assume. The other four members of their party are arrayed for combat, but while their armour is slightly thicker I can't see anything… Special. Nothing that would let them turn the tide against an overwhelming force.

For a moment I'm reminded of the Heroes of Might and Magic series. The good fights were in the middle of a campaign map. By the time you got to the end, the player character would inevitably have an insurmountable advantage compared to the AI.

In a way it's nice to be rewarded for preparation.

"I do not. While it is true that many laws do not apply to open conflicts between peoples, there are still conventions which the nations of Earth abide by. Ambassadors and other negotiators are given safe passage. One soldier killing another is not murder, but rape remains rape. You left Earth long before the Geneva Conventions were signed, but now almost every nation on Earth has agreed to abide by certain terms when engaged in armed conflict."

"Have the Sheeda signed this convention?"

"The Sheeda are not a nation. They travelled to our time from the far future. If you travel to lands owned by another nation, claiming that you are not from there does not grant immunity to their laws. If the Sheeda merely wished to make war upon us with the aim of conquering us, that would be one thing. Instead, they aim to kill all but a handful of the Earth's inhabitants, soldiers and civilians, men, women and children alike, and for no better reason than to indulge their own cruelty. The prevention of such behaviour is why the Convention exists, and why it is enforced between nations."

The Queen actually moves slightly at that, her head tilted slightly back and her general air being one of contemptuous disinterest. Not sure what she's trying to prove by not interjecting. Unless she thinks that she's already got this sewn up.

"And for these crimes that you allege, what remedy would you seek?"

"We would like to have the remaining Sheeda handed over to us to be tried for their actions and punished as the laws of Earth require."

"And what retribution will the justices seek?"

Which will result in just about every Sheeda soldier who ends up in custody being sentenced to death. It's been a while since an international tribunal had the power to hand down a death sentence, but I can't really think of another response to attacks like the ones they've carried out. A bit of a shame; a proportion of them are probably capable of rehabilitation, and if… If Sivana had been operating at full power from the start and the damage had been less, and there was less outrage, maybe I could talk people around to lesser sentences.

'We're going to kill most of them' isn't as easy a sell as… Just about anything else. Or it wouldn't be for me. For all I know, Malvolio would respect the hard-line approach and cheer them on.

"That is not for me to determine."

Lord Malvolio doesn't give any outward sign of displeasure at that bunt. I've got a worrying feeling that he's going to take everything in, decide on a course of action and then pursue it in true single minded Green Lantern fashion. And after that point, anything we say in moderation is going to be disregarded.

"Who will name the justices who will determine the fate of the Sheeda?"

"I imagine the panel will be comprised of a combination of senior judges from the Earth's most powerful countries, with a smaller number from the rest of the world."

"Will they be honest men and true?"

"Yes. They will have no alternative. The whole world will witness their actions and judge them for them."

The leaders, certainly. I would be astonished if any country that actually took Sheeda prisoner was willing to hand them over to an international tribunal rather than try them themselves.

"You are clearly an obliging noble. And how will your deeds be rewarded?"

"I am hopeful that this will ease the way to greater international cooperation relating to attacks of this magnitude in the future."

"But you do not expect a personal reward of lands or titles?"

"That's not how we work."

Mr. Allen nods. "A good deed well done is its own reward."

I brace slightly, but Lord Malvolio doesn't appear to take umbrage. However, his head does move very slightly so that his eyes are pointed in my direction.

"And you, wyrmling?"

"I can't imagine anything they could give me as a reward that I actually want. Respect for my public service is far more useful."

He doesn't reply, but his head turns slowly back to Diana.

"And how do you respond to the Sheeda's claim that they are merely taking their due, as a lord may take of a serf's labour?"

"A lord provides protection in exchange for the serf's labour, both in the form of an enforced code of law and against foreign enemies who may seek to harm them. The Sheeda provide no one with any service. They are not the Earth's rulers, but merely parasites. Queen Gloriana may well be the queen of the Sheeda; that is for them to determine. She is not the queen of us."

"She has promised me much. And while she visited my realm at my invitation, you intruded here and attacked my guest's household."

"My colleagues have raised the possibility of aiding you in leaving this star system. I do not know how that could be achieved, but we are willing to try. As for attacking her household: we are at war. We slew none who were not under arms and damaged no property that was not a part of their military."

"I do not accuse you of violating your own rules of warfare, but of besmirching my honour in attacking my guests."

"We did not know that they were your guests. We did not know that this was your system. But if your honor will not allow you to hand them over, we…" She glances at Jordan who merely bows his head slightly. "Are prepared to accept them being exiled here, rather than being returned to Earth."

I nod inside my armour. It's not great, but if it prevents further violence while allowing him to be satisfied, it'll be worth it. Queen Gloriana just isn't that much of a threat on her own.

"Diana!"

Mr. Allen… Doesn't seem quite so sanguine.

Diana's eyes flick to him for a moment before returning to Lord Malvolio.

"Our greatest concern is to ensure the continuing wellbeing of our people. If the remaining Sheeda can no longer threaten the Earth, we can-."

"Like hell!"

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Didn't expect the Flash to be the one to start hostilities. Wonder if he'll be put on suspension or something after this is all over so that he can process everything he's seen and done?

Relyt33, PDV, erebus1994 and 12 others like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

remove 'by' or add 'the various countries'

'grant you'

'that'

Well you did speculate that she was extremely arrogant.

'name'

'prisoners'

'clearly an'

'cooperation'

'own rules'

Well so much for a peaceful settlement.

'well-being'

13. Chirox

Chirox Getting out there.

Surprised me too but makes perfect sense to me. Especially given that this is his first time being exposed to the really brutal side of their job - he's probably seen a lot of bad things but never in a context where he needs to kill his enemies or be killed. Suspension may be the wrong word for it but professional therapy and a leave of absence would be important. I empathize though, just letting Space-Hitler go on a vacation planet would be jarring.

Really digging Diana's negotiating skills being emphasized here, she may be a powerhouse physically but she's probably the league's premier on this front. The Lanterns all have experience from a policing angle, but she's got decades of experience as a foreign dignitary and it shows

14. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

The benefits of a classical education, eh? I wonder if reading his judgements has given OL any actual insight into Malvolio's likely judgement on this matter. Who is he going to side with, I wonder...

Honestly, she's probably no real threat in a fight. It's just that you have to get through her armies, then her Elite Highborns, then her personal guards... And by that point, most would be tired enough that she could face them on even terms. Which is probably the point of it all.

No doubt Malvolio is noting their increased readiness. Will he allow blood to be spilled in his audience chamber? We shall see...

Indeed. But while grinding your way into power can be entertaining, sometimes you just want to steamroll your foes. Especially if it's something that's been getting in your way all game.

The first most people knew of the Sheeda was their initial attacks. I doubt the Queen has bothered to mention that...

Laying out the case well. Diana is definitely the best choice for this.

I have no doubt she believes that Malvolio will side with 'proper' royalty, meaning her. Or she's got an ace in the hole. A guaranteed method to free Malvolio might do it, or some manner of subtle magical control effect he wouldn't appear to notice. She's probably going to be so annoyed when it goes poorly for her.

Though I doubt Diana would say it outright, a general death sentence is the most likely...

Like, say, in the Renegade's timeline, I bet. But by and large, the Queen's armies are beyond rehabilitation...

Given many of the punishments for crimes in his days on Earth? I don't doubt it. What about his judgements? Did he take a light touch on death sentences, or was he more of a hanging judge? Alas, unless OL thinks about it, we won't know.

And if he comes down on the Sheeda's side... That's going to be a hell of a fight. A Green Light elemental (And I have no doubt he is at that level,) whatever security forces and systems he has set up, the Sheeda delegation... This might be a challenge even for OL.

And news channels will probably be commentating on every word in every trial. becasue there is no way they could do it behind closed doors...

He really expects them to be doing this for personal gain? I'd assumed he'd been monitoring Earth, but...

Pfft. She's princess of an entire nation, what does she need with land?

Something of a foreign concept to the folk of Malvolio's time. I mean, certainly, there were good samaritans, but many of them would have been backed by some manner of patronage...

Ah, he's picked up on OL's unusual nature, I see. I hope he's noting OL's self-restraint.

Hmm... Always hard to tell how he's going to come down during the conversation. That damn physical control strong Spectrum use provides...

Maybe if she'd compared them to Norse raiders, or bandits, it'd make more of an impact. As is... Gloriana's probably been claiming she rules all Earth, and its people have risen up in rebellion, I bet.

Admittedly, anti-matter bombs are a little indiscriminate, OL. Reminds me of the interrogation scene in True Lies: :eek: "How many people have you killed?" x3 "Lots... But they were all bad guys..."

Can't really blame them for not begin able to know in advance you were even here, big guy. And I can see Diana being understanding of the breach of propriety. The Greeks held Xenia, the hospitality of a household and the sanctity of guest rights, very, very highly.

Oh, hell... Is he going to have issues with this? If they know where the Sheeda are, they can at least negotiate with Malvolio later...

Oh, boy... Here it comes...

Despite hoping this is Gloriana finally being moved to speak, it's all too likely Barry can't let it go. It's been a tough day for him, so I hope they can rein him in...

Man, having part of your negotiating party attack the opposition is really bad in terms of diplomacy. Hopefully Malvolio continues to lounge on his throne, and decides to let them settle it via trial by combat. Because if that big dog joins either side, things are going to get messy...

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

My bet is that she's too arrogant to think that she can lose.

Yeah they beat her before, but she may think that they just won a battle and not the war.

A hanging judge is his most likely mindset when it comes to justice.

Eh, altruism from powerful people wasn't all that much of a thing back in his time.

Plenty of people have had land yet still wanted more, that's one of the reasons wars happened.

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I believe that these are correct.

Bramble Thorn and Darko like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The 'prisoner' one may not be correct, since OL was referring to multiple Sheeda by using 'them'.

With 'prisoners' it means that there are more.

Assblaster5000 and Prince Charon like this.
  18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Is that him yelling? Might be Gloriana.

Silveraith and Prince Charon like this.
  19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The Flash joined the mission because he was extremely distressed by what he saw the Sheeda doing to the people they abducted. Also, just a few sentences before the exclamation, Paul noted that the Flash wasn't okay with the remaining Sheeda basically getting away with everything they'd done.

20. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

Either or works in this case I think.

E.g. The Sheeda took Humans prisoner.
    The Sheeda took Human prisoners.

Vorian and Hell's Razer like this.
  21. cookiemontser

cookiemontser Getting out there.

Can anyone remind me why the Flash is so pissed off? I must have missed that part.

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He witnessed people in the process of being harvested by the Sheeda. We don't get details, but according to Kid Flash, it really messed the Flash up.

23. Fellow

With his abilities, I imagine he spent the most time compared to the other League members saving victims rather than combating Sheeda directly. It's kinda like when OL was collecting the mangled remains of children during the aftermath of the adult/child split thing only this has been going on for months I think and Flash doesn't have the advantage of enlightenment. Hell, even with enlightenment OL was still affected by what he'd seen.

24. Mr Zoat

You're misreading it. The sentence refers to Sheeda as a class, not to individual Sheeda.
    It's Mr. Allen.

25. Fellow

For a moment I thought a wild Truggs had appeared. After all, what happened seems awfully close to what the Reach would've done in his future.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm anticipating the moment when he finds out the group he's been helping, the Light, is the one responsible for getting the Reach interested in the Earth.

27. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

He's not going to take that well. The real question is what he does after he finds out that the things he wants to change may be (via time loop) partially his fault.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Cuchulin, Fellow, Wheenesss and 2 others like this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

My guess is that he'll try to find some justification for how he was right and everyone else was wrong, and he didn't do anything wrong.

He's just that kind of guy.

29. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

So.... Zoat is really hyping mister Tobacco here. And the Sheeda ark seems to have lasted way too long for their threat level.

30. Maxx Crowley

I mean, given how Super speedsters have been shown up to this point, and Barry being basically the top dog of them all, he ought to just shit all over everyone in the room if he really cuts loose. He can rip this sheeda queen limb from limb before anyone else can even blink.

When OL had to go up against that speedster in Russia, he was practically helpless as I recall.