1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

If they heard about Flash getting pissed off enough that he's willing to kill with no regrets, I'm pretty sure they'd want to stick with going legit for the foreseeable future...

CAPTAIN COLD: He did WHAT?! Holy F@#$!:eek:
    It's kind of a HUGE deal, considering that the violation of Xenia was usually guaranteed to get the gods, (particularly Zeus), in a smiting mood in greek mythology.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

His powers were transferred to him after he killed the previous user and his father punished him by making him the next Physician when he threw him into some kind of rug thing that gave him the powers and memories of the other Physicians before him.

That strongly suggests magic.

Luckily Flash isn't a Hellenist, though he may want to avoid going to Themyscira for a while.

Gilhelmi, Cuchulin, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  3. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

"Don't worry, Dr. Snart, as long as you don't provoke him too much, you'll be fine... probably."

Gilhelmi, Xmaster3000, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Main SI, though not for quite a while.
    Her parents never made that trip, so she's still living in ignorance while they're alive and well.

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I can't remember where, but I'm pretty sure you once said that Kid Flash was able to heal her on his own thanks to having healing potions.

Prince Charon, Gilhelmi and Darko like this.
  6. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

Flash’s attack on Gloriana and her retinue seemed more spur-of-the-moment than coldly premeditated, so unless they do something to trigger him they should be fine? As long as they’re forewarned?

Of course, with the way the League is keeping mum about it they couldn’t be forewarned...

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I like the little, pointless wrist slap. "He is going to take a break from the League."

Like what? You're banning him from the club house? So what? He's still the Flash. It's not like Barry is going to ignore crime or people in trouble if he sees it.

I guess you could say that he doesn't have access to the zeta tubes. But Barry is the one guy fast enough that such a thing doesn't matter. Even this speed force lacking Earth 16 Flash can lap the planet in what? 10-12 seconds? Maybe a minute at most?

Still, I hope he talks to an actual therapist. Not because I'm upset at what he did, but that I don't want what he witnesses continuing to eat at him.

Which makes me wonder what hell Plastic man must have unleashed.

8. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Illustres Paul is, at least on paper, in charge of training and recruitment. That he considers it noteworthy that a given Lantern is reliable should deeply concern him.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She's certainly a whole lot more reliable than the last Orange Lantern.

10. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

I think it's more psych leave. Barry's not a soldier, killing people, ANYONE, no matter how deserving, is usually viewed as traumatic and giving him time to get his head on straight seems smart.

11. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

Are there going to be any more of the Gateway chapters, or is that side story done?

Gilhelmi likes this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

We may get some more in the future, but it may not happen for years.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

He is also a lot more green that his comics counterpart. Comics Flashes had to deal with several monsters.

Number one being Doctor Zoom/Whatever name name DC decided to give his week.

The rest? Usually JLA villains.

But honesty I don't think even the JLAU Animated would have been holding back against Nazi Elves from the future. They did kill Nazis when they went back in time, it was just not shown cause kids cartoon. And they did kill Super Zombie Grundy.

When the threat is too big, the kid gloves come off.

14. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

But you do know what they say: Beware the nice ones.

Almost. It had using manual controls for DUI that was an 'attempted murder' charge, because first you had to install manual controls, then go and install a bypass for the safety features that disabled the manual controls if they detected you were drunk and then finally activate said bypass, a process that, if I recall correctly, was practically impossible to complete while drunk and indeed required that you were stone cold sober.

15. Mr Zoat

Are you referring to the 'Gate: Thus the Japanese Self-Defense Force Fought There' segments? Perhaps, but none are written so far.

16. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

The associations I have for that phrase are, in order:
    • the Witcher theme song
    • Shoe shining and other variants on the theme of "rich bastard is performative and demeaning about paying kid from $INSERT-STEREOTYPE-GROUP"
    • Maybe flipping a coin?
    None of these make sense in context

17. Maxx Crowley

Well yes, I do understand that. But my point is, that temporarily removing him from his post on the Justice League doesn't change the fact that he's still The Flash.

It's not like he's suspended from his job or anything. As the Justice League is more a loose Association of super-powered individuals that work together, then it is a true organization.

Like, if this is something flash wants to do and agrees with that's one thing. But if it's not, they've basically done nothing but say you can't come into the clubhouse until you do what we want you to. Which as Orange Lantern himself as shown, not being a member of the Justice League doesn't really mean much.

Cuchulin and Gilhelmi like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Tossing a coin = flipping a coin.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though he does lose access to their facilities, tech, the Zeta Tubes and the ability to operate internationally with the permission of foreign governments.

Prince Charon, Ngamer11 and Ardy like this.
  20. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Its flipping a coin, Robin was asking if he could be trusted to fix it, and grayven does and mimes the coin flip. He's implying you have a 50/50 chance he fixed it normally or not. Was head screwery.

21. Maxx Crowley

To the coin thing...I took it as Grayven "paying" the toll like at a subway station. He went through the gate, and flipped the token in the machine to pay. I could be totally wrong here.

Moving on.

Rest assured, that if Flash's leave is totally something he wanted and agreed with, I have no issues. But if it was a "fuck you, fuck you" situation. Then all I can think is that the League needs Flash far more than he needs them. Which is honestly the case for most of the League. They are stronger together, but they don't really need the organization to do their own thing.

Granted, personal issues dissolving the League is exactly what a group like the Light would want.

So....like the Mountain, the Hall of Justice, and the Watchtower? I'm not sure what else there would be.

What tech? I'm serious now. I don't really recall any of the League being issued "tech" beyond like...the communicator. OL is the one who was handed out all the tech, and honestly? I'm sure if Flash asked, OL wouldn't have much issue with providing him with, or helping him get, the good stuff. OL is always big on equipment after all.

And that's not even counting the contacts Flash has himself. I mean Hal and Barry are always shown to be good friends.

Flash, along with Superman and Captain Marvel, is someone to whom this doesn't really matter. I mean, Flash could probably leave his house, and run across the world faster than some of the Leaguers could leave theirs and get to a good Zeta tube location. Him using the tubes is more something they need then he does.

I....question this. Beyond the fact that Flash tends to stay in his own city, they all do actually, if Flash runs over to Japan and saves a bunch of civilians while defeating...like Earthquake-man. I don't think they are going to pitch a fit.

Plus, let's not forget, typically all of the League are basically vigilanties at the end of the day. Telling any one of them that fighting crime in a certain area is illegal/forbidden, wouldn't stop any of them.

In the end, I'm struggling to think which of the League would really care about Flash's actions.

John and Hal are soldiers. The Hawks wield deadly weapons anyway. Not sure where J'onn would stand.

Batman and Billy are the two that I think would have the most issue. Though if I'm reading right, apparently Zoat's Superman has loads of issues?

Ardy, Cuchulin and Gilhelmi like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

I'm afraid that you are. He was indicating that for him the decision on whether to rig the mechanism was something he tossed a coin to decide. He might have done, he might not have, it wasn't important to him.

Mr. Allen is taking some time away from being the Flash. That was why Jay mentioned Max taking over his local responsibilities for a while.

23. Maxx Crowley

Curse you and your strange, foreign ways! I shake my orange at you!

Hell's Razer and Ardy like this.
  24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Heh, looking back I can't help but feel Paragon was overestimating his chances against Flash if things came to blows.

Like, at the speed's he described the first Paragon would ever know that Flash had even acted would be when Flash was on the other side of the room having already crushed every single one of his rings to dust.

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Thinking about it, the main thing I would say is that the Flash needs therapy. Group Therapy would be best, but...... who else would be in that group that?

Alan and Jay could help, they are not in his age group (which would be more ideal).

But really, who else? He would have to go to therapy as the Flash (secret identity), and then the dirtbag papiratzi (sp? idiot psudo-journalists that stalk celebrities) would bug the place. Because no matter the Universe, some people are aholes like that.

In Grrl Power (webcomic), the joke was that if nudes of Max existed, then some villain would create a wormhole machine just to steal them because "these are so hot". My observation of human nature suggests that if it were possible to create something, then it is likely that someone will use it for nefarious purposes.

26. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Every hero who killed a Sheeda. Cops get mandatory time of and counseling for shooting the gun alot of the time(not to mention if they kill someone). the heros are cops not soldiers. they should all be in group counseling, but definitely any hero who killed a sheeda. grab an offworld therapist. GL/OL corps will have one. Or have a hero actually become one as a career. How many YJ kids are nearing college age and can consider becoming a therapist for heroes.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

OL may be reluctant to give away tech if Flash is still suffering from his emotional breakdown, the same with Hal.

If he isn't in the League any longer then he loses his arrest authority, and the ability to operate in foreign countries without getting arrested for vigilantism.

The Leagues charter basically allows them to operate legally in other countries without facing legal problems.

And other countries may honestly have the means to capture him, especially after the Sheeda invasion, where I bet adopting advanced tech is going to be something a lot of them do.

Not to mention that without the legal credibility the League provides anyone he 'arrests' could be let go, especially in places and countries where vigilantism isn't so popular.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  28. Threadmarks: Over Reaching (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

3rd July 2012
    10:19 GMT -5

Jay smiles as we approach the flag ship of the L.E.G.I.O.N. flotilla. "It's beautiful."

I nod. "I was surprised that they turned out like that. Clarissi Dox doesn't have much of an aesthetic sense."

Jay frowns mildly in puzzlement, then shakes his head. "Ah, no, no. I was talking about the Earth."

He gestures downwards, and yes, there it is. Blue and green and grey and white and brown. The current extent of the white patches at the north and south means that it doesn't quite match up with the various pictures of the Earth that I remember from Earth Prime, and the surge of greenery enveloping South America means that a good deal of the grey and brown there has been beaten back. There's a similar patch in North Africa where Adrianna's doing something similar. From this height I'd say that it improves the way they look, though I know perfectly well that it's a mess at ground level.

"Guess if you see it enough times it loses some of the appeal."

"It's more that it's nice to be home after a while away, but once you've been back for a day or two you remember that the garden waste bin is overflowing because you missed the pick up and there's a crack in the paint in the guest bedroom and the carpet's getting worn in the study."

"You're saying that whenever you come back, you start seeing all of the problems."

I point downwards.

"See Brazil?"

"Ah. I see what you mean. What's it like at ground level?"

"We're lucky that it's summer. Euanthe isn't keen on creating original plants, and the Accala don't value modernity. There's no economy and the people in charge have no interest in trying to even have a currency."

"If they don't have a currency, how do they trade for things?"

"Barter, or they just don't. Isolated agricultural communities don’t really need a lot of things. And the things they do need… Did you see on the news that spokesman for 'Viva! Water' complaining about the tribes stealing their property?"

"I think I caught that."

"Agriculture does require water, so anyone messing around with access to water is going to get turfed out. Anyone who owned land that a tribe had a claim on is going to get turfed off. And of course there's no way that the Accala are going to take on the Brazilian government's debts, so anyone lending money to anywhere in South America is in trouble because they're not going to be able to recover it."

"And I guess they're not going to want to borrow money themselves, because they're self sufficient, so the usual penalties aren't any sort of disincentive."

"Yep. So we're looking at a total collapse of the modern banking system."

"Because of Brazil? How in debt were they? And why did people keep lending them money?"

"Everyone likes it when governments spend money on them, but no one wants to pay for it. And now even countries that are still functioning can't pay. Poor countries can't pay because everything they've got is going on reconstruction, and rich countries can't pay because no one can buy their stuff and they can't transport it to the few who can and they were all running a deficit under the assumption that there wouldn't be any major fundamental shocks to the world economy. Combine that with a radical economic shift like arcane primitivism suddenly going mainstream and suddenly what everyone was sure about isn't true."

"I thought America made out alright."

"Oh, sure, America as a country made out alright. The Sheeda killed a relatively low proportion of the population and didn't cause much infrastructure damage. And America has a big enough internal market that it doesn't need international trade, so… If you're being optimistic you might see a return of manufacturing. But the financial mechanisms that would usually lend the money for that sort of development are about to fall apart."

"Oh."

Alan drifts closer, smiling sympathetically.

"Bet you're glad that you asked."

"I wouldn't say glad. But if I learned anything from the thirties, it's that being ignorant of economics is no defense."

"All I remember learning is that people will still buy radios when the economy's in freefall. And that gambling's for idiots."

We turn away from the Earth and accelerate towards the flag ship's shuttle bay. L.E.G.I.O.N. ships have teleporters, but they're not designed for bulk transportation. We could have come up like that, but I thought it might be nice for Jay to fly up. Flying still hasn't quite lost its-.

"Oh? Is that Lantern Coutara?"

Alan peers at the shuttle bay as an orange light flies out to greet us.

"No, that's her daughter, Lantern Taranna. I'm a little-." A second orange shape heads after her. "And that's Lantern Yat. I'm glad he's here, actually. This will be a good learning experience for him."

"Because Earth's crazy?"

"Because there aren't a lot of kryptonians left, and even fewer good sources of information on kryptonian culture. Hello!"

"Illustres." / "Illustres."

I take a closer look at both of them. Yat's put on a little muscle and looks a little less anxious. Taranna looks much the same, aside from one rather noticeable change.

"I see you've switched to organic eyes."

She smiles, shaking her head. "No, the physicians just made me cybernetics that look more like organic eyes." She looks at Alan, taking in his blue glow. "Who is that?"

"Hey there, little miss. I'm-."

I hold up my right hand. "Ah."

Alan frowns, but stops talking.

"What do you do when you want to find out who someone is?"

"Ignore polite social convention and ask my power ring?"

"Yes. Because while I know that Alan and Jay are nice men, for all you know they're mind controlling me. Earth is a conflict zone, and you shouldn't treat it as a safe harbour."

She nods, mildly chastened. "Yes, Illustres."

A large blue hand shoves me aside and Alan floats forwards.

"I'm Alan Scott, Earth's Blue Lantern."

"Hello, Alan Scott. I'm Taranna re'Coutara, and this is my friend Sodam Yat."

Alan nods. "Hi there."

"Hello."

"Paul tells me that you're kryptonian."

"Well, kinda? I'm a lot like a kryptonian inside, but I grew up on Daxam."

"Most of the kryptonians on Earth grew up on Earth, so I doubt that you'll have any trouble on that account."

"Your mother said there was a message for me?"

"Yes, but Clarissi Dox only told it to her."

"Rightoh. Could the two of you give Alan and Jay a tour of the ship while I go and talk to her about it?"

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Well then it's a good thing America doesn't need those financial mechanisms anymore since they can just switch to Sterling's nano-forge technology.

30. jmartinez8089

jmartinez8089 Getting out there.

Needs orange quotes.