1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, recorrected.

2. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Looks like Zoat made Hera goddess of romantic relationships in general. That’s surprisingly close to being goddess of friendship

Cuchulin, Ardy, Prince Charon and 2 others like this.
  3. Fouredged

Fouredged Experienced.

Artimis is the goddess of "no we are just friends"

4. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

That’s the difference between a goddess of friendship and a goddess of the friend-zone.

5. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Can't say I was expecting a Hera chapter. Nor that OL was actualy serious before.

Though the one flaw is, like just about every other woman he deals with, she's instantly more interesting than Jade.

6. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

If that were known out in the galaxy, it would do a lot to cement Earth's reputation as one of the really scary parts of Space Australia.

7. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Has Paragon or someone experimented with infusing metahuman blood with the Danner formula? The last time I remember that being discussed was Paulphidian talking with Black Canary. It strikes me as a possible option for facilitating Henry King's joining LEGION if Paragon can't simply de-age him (I'll understand if that's not possible, I just don't remember it being definitively stated one way or the other in-story).

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

No, Goddess of Marriage. Hera is patron of long term relationships. Aprodite is still Goddess of One Night Stands, Flings and Immediate Attraction.

9. DrThoth

The distinction between Prelates and Primates indicates a sort of separation between church and state, but is there a historical reason why the magic-users didn't just position themselves as ultimate theocratic authorities? Given that the hierarchy is believed to be divinely ordained and all.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Because ruling took a lot of time which couldn't be spent on magic research.

11. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

No, no... I think they meant Arty is the goddess of "gal pals" in the sense as historians report them.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  12. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I think you need to take a break from QQ, friend.

In al seriousness, this is the first I’m hearing about credible sources calling Artemis and her merry band of misfits as being defined by poorly hidden lesbianism. I’m pretty sure (Like 99%) he’s referring to the fact that Arty is a virgin goddess, and the only time she ever fell in love (in some tellings of her myth with Orion), she shot him down (sometimes literally).

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  13. DrThoth

I wonder if Diana (Wonder Woman, not Roman Artemis) will develop a variant of Hera's God-speech when invoking her Truth Goddess powers. I think little star-symbols would be thematically appropriate and fun (evoking the metaphor of light as revelation and truth).

Was Paragon actually metaphysically affected by Hera's words in any significant way, or was his acquiescence more mundane due to not wanting to irritate the powerful goddess? I feel like he would at least sense it if it was the former.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's possible that he felt her using her powers and was either affected a bit by it, or sensed her using it but sat down because he saw how serious she was.

15. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Oh my. Earth-native God Speech.

As a longtime Puzzle and Dragons player, I always think of this Hera.

(... wow, has it really been eight years since I started playing?)

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

These are the gods no one wanted or deserved.

17. Threadmarks: Back Seat (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

5th July 2012
    11:08 GMT +3

Natasa nods uncertainly.

"I'm… I.. can raise the shades of any who exist in Lord Hades' halls, which includes the shades of those who are not human. The shade of those housed elsewhere would require negotiations with their God of the Dead."

"What if they don't have one?"

"Then… With the head of their pantheon. Unless they have reincarnated."

"Is there..? If someone-. If a soul is reincarnated, is there a record of where they went? The fact that they were reborn?"

"Lord Hades keeps such records, as do the gods of the Hindus. For other pantheons, I do not know."

"How about if they don’t have a religious belief?"

"The.. a-li-ens whom you brought to Lord Hades did not worship him in life. Is that what you meant?"

Unsurprisingly, Ancient Greek doesn't have a word for 'space aliens'. Even in English, 'alien' literally just means 'not from around here'. Alan generally says 'space aliens' when I'd just say 'aliens', but for the Amazons just calling them xénos wouldn't make sense. They call Greeks from the mainland xénos. In fact, that's what they usually use the word for; other nationalities are referred to by their name. The sudden need for a word to refer to people and things from a little further afield than Crete led to the Amazons mugging a leaf out of English's book and stealing a loan word.

"No. When their souls were left on Ater Clementia, just drifting around."

"Yes, that would be easy. Even if they did not want to speak with me, I could certainly identify them."

"Could you tell if they'd died and been reincarnated?"

"If I could find their body. I am… I know the rites, but-" She shakes her head. "-there is little call for them on Themyscira. I do not know that I have the skills you want."

"Would you be willing to try?"

"Yes-. Wait. Where do you wish me to try?"

"Mars."

She frowns. "Ares?" Then she smiles. "Is he dead? Did you and the Princess kill him?"

"No. And not the Roman deity either. The planet."

"Another world?"

"You are.. familiar with the idea that-."

"Yes, I-. Know. I…" She looks around the temple, probably as an excuse to not look at me. "Haven't.. left Themyscira."

"In over three thousand years?"

"In the entire two thousand eight hundred and seventy three years of my life. I was born here."

"The door to New York has been there for-."

"A few more of my sisters have requested initiation into the mysteries of the Cult of Hades, thanks to your efforts at changing the way we are perceived. But with Thana away, I am the senior priestess."

"Given how infrequently Amazons die, and how cheerful Lord Hades is at the moment, I'm pretty sure you could get away for a few hours."

"If I refuse, will you drag me out of the temple to… Fondle in the way you did Thana?"

"Will I need to? DO you want me to? Shoving people out of their ruts is a devotional act for me."

She looks away, clearing her throat.

"That will not be necessary. I will accompany you to.. Mars. Will there..? Be other people around?"

"Um. We can go somewhere without other people if you prefer? Most of the Martians I've met have been fairly nice."

"Perhaps if I could just… View them from a distance?"

I hold out my left hand. "I can manage that."

She regards my hand for a moment, then takes it. Some Amazons like seeing their home from far above. Io adjusted to being away fairly quickly, but while Thana adjusted to her own company as part of the job it looks like Natasa picked a job that didn't involve being around people because that's how she prefers it.

Each to their own. Not like Themyscira is short on… Whatever the medieval version of a shut-in is.

"Ready? " She nods. "Three, t-"

Transition.

"-wo, and we're here."

Natasa looks around at the desolate panorama surrounding us, then tilts her head back to take in the giant telekinetic pillars that are just about the only decoration on this part of the Martian surface.

"So we're looking for the shade of a wizard called 'Karmang'. He's from a very long time ag-"

"I'm on.. another world."

"-o. Yes, I did say."

"Yes." She looks down at the ground. "This land… It even feels dead."

"It is. The locals live underground, aside from a few areas they're replanting. You specified 'isolated', so-."

"I appreciate your consideration. If the spirit of Karmang is willing to speak with me, this will be quick. Otherwise I must simply call… How long ago did he die?"

"He's the founder of modern Martian society. He might even be amongst the first generation of modern Martians."

"And how are modern Martians distinguished from ancient Martians?"

"Ancient Martians spend their entire lives on fire."

"I will.. bear that in mind."

"I could build a small shrine here if that would help?"

"No, Pavlos, alienating the local gods would not make calling one of their own back into the material world easier. Please, simply remain quiet for a time."

Which I.. do. Perhaps it's unfair of me, perhaps a product of the fact that I didn't grow up on Themyscira, but if given the choice between a scholar and a cleric, I'll go with the scholar every time. The Professor of Post-Mortem Communications the Regent introduced me to would probably still be more reliable, but he said that he'd want to study the entire thaumosphere in detail before trying anything. Whereas a Themysciran priestess could try right away with a fair chance of success. The Professor is still my backup option if this doesn't work, but if the Council reaches a decision before the shield goes down then I can't-.

"Pavlos?"

"Got something?"

Natasa frowns thoughtfully at me.

"This may be a strange question, but are you certain that 'Karmang' is amongst the dead?"

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  18. Itypeslow

Itypeslow Corpses for the Corpse God!

This is an amusing image, kind of like animal chained to the drums

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not a nice smile I take it.

Ahh, so Paul's weird sexual experiences are not just confined to Vega and giant spider women.

Wow, she's kept count.

If Paul wasn't dating Jade then I think this chick would be the perfect match for him.

'that's how'

maybe 'reaches'

20. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

So ya thinking about rereading this fic for fun and since my memories of a lot of the early and mid stuff is fuzzy but the size is just so daunting the fact that this fic has me of all people saying that is praise worthy

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm surprised she was able to just roll with that little factoid.

Here we go. Time to see if Paul can deal with this diplomatically or do what the Renegade did and just kill Karmang and his followers.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ehh, she's probably seen all sorts of weird species.

She may have seen centaurs, satyrs, nymphs, drayds and who knows what else in her long life.

Not completely sure Karmang is dead.

He may have teleported to safety.

This sentence feels weird.

maybe 'they were just drifting'

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  23. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Time to search the planet for Karmang's desires, I suppose. Though the fact that he is a magic user might hinder things.

24. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

You'd be surprised by how fast you can go through it. I've re-read it three times now, though I do skim parts that I didn't particularly enjoy.

25. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Paul 100% knows who he is. I love how well he's written.

Do it. It's worth the time. I've re-read it twice. But the last was quite a while ago (more than a year) and I don't have the spare time to do another one.

26. Nioz

Nioz Know what you're doing yet?

Yeeeeeessssss!!! I have been waiting for this reveal!

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Of course, some of said Gods may have opinions on trying to do anything with the souls of the dead. We've seen how the Silver City reacts, for a start.

Bet that makes Necromancy a hell of a lot more complicated. Reincarnated souls are probably off-limits period, but you might be able to arrange to speak to a shade of their previous life, maybe?

Ah, paperwork. Even in the afterlife, there's no escaping it...

Uh, no... Though that makes an interesting wrinkle. What happens if the Gods of those dead extra-terrestrials hears about their passing and comes looking (admittedly belatedly.) :confused: Would Hades be obliged to hand them over, or is it more a case of finders-keepers?

Something that may well keep happening if the Themyscirans continue to forge ties to the outside world. I mean, lots of words do have roots in greek or latin... But there are concepts the ancient languages just never could have imagined...

Not quite so easy when it comes to Martians... I mean, H'ron'meer isn't actually a god, nor are any of the other venerated beings, are they? What even happens when a Martian dies? Where does their soul go?

Joy of not needing such skills before now. I mean, if an Amazon wanted to go talk to the soul of a loved one, well, it's just a decent walk down to Hades' visiting room, if they're that desperate...

Should have found that out before agreeing. But I can excuse her naivete, she's only known the island all her life, hasn't she?

I suppose the Themyscirans like the Roman god of War as much as they like the Greek... That is to say, not much at all?

Quite the trip, yes. Just imagine the story you'll have to tell the others, though. First... Er, Second Themysciran to leave Earth (Diana being the first, of course.)

It is quite the idea to take in, you know. Imagine living in one small town all your life, knowing nothing beyond the county line, except maybe in stories. Everywhere else is just 'over there', nothing you need to worry about unless something is very wrong...

Quite literally the small town girl (for a given definition of small, given that Themyscira has maybe 35,000 people.)

Ah, so she's stuck doing all the little rituals Thana usually took care of. I mean, it's probably exciting, she likely never expected to be in charge...

:confused: What stories have been coming back from out there? I don't really remember any 'fondling' going on. Certainly nothing Jade might object to.

:p Not that kind of 'Rut' folks. Remember what he said yesterday about upsetting dysfunctional systems?

Nearly anywhere on the surface, for instance. Maybe somewhere in sight of Olympus Mons, perhaps? Then she can claim to have seen an Olympus... :V

Field trip! Wouldn't she need a few ritual tools, though? Or can OL just fabricate what she might need?

I suspect most Amazons like to go off on their own every once in a while. After all, how many of us could stand being around the same people, day in, day out for that long?

"...That was it? I had expected something more.. impressive."

...Give her a second to take it in, OL. You know, take in the sight, breathe the air (so to speak, since she's probably in an environmental field right now), realise the sky is a different colour.

Ah, OL. When did this sort of thing become mundane for you? Honestly, being able to teleport across the universe has taken all the awe out of life for you, hasn't it?

'Dead' as in lifeless wasteland, I take it, given that Mars is almost as thaumically lively as Earth.

Hmm... Would the very much alive Karmang feel such an open call? Or would some shade hear it and see a chance for mayhem upon the living? Hells, how many ghosts wander Mars, I wonder? :eek: Or could there be some long-forgotten Burner gods drifting in the breeze, long forgotten by the modern population...

Kind of noticeable, if their shades are as incendiary as they were in life...

OL, sometimes, you need to stop helping, before you slip into 'HALPING!' territory... I know it's hard, but try...

Especially if, as I theorised, any of the Burner's gods are still hanging around. They probably lean a lot more on the 'angry smiting' side of the equation.

'Post-Mortem Communications'? ;) Does he happen to be skinny, wear a dark robe and sport a pasty white complexion (Or at least affect the same?) Such a blatant Pratchett reference... :p

...That was quick. Or did she get the necromantic equivalent of 'The number you have dialled is not in service'? :V

If you'll excuse the exuberance: "Awwww Sheeit, niggah!" That's one heck of a bomb to end on!

Well, not quite an explosion, but that's quite the bomb to drop on OL. It just got a lot easier to get Karmang's opinion, but also a lot harder, because if the Martian in question has been paying attention, he'll have plenty of protections from scrying in place. Also, the whole 'OL opposing the Hyperclan' bit from awhile back...

Personally, I'd try to go through an episode or two at a time, then take a break. Let them settle in to the memory and all that. I wish I had the time to continue my re-read (and like-bombing of the Story-Only thread!) but so many other fics call out to be read...

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's correct. Consider: 'They were in a car, just driving around.'
    Really?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    anirocks, Silveraith, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may give them back if their god comes calling.

Either they reincarnate, are absorbed in the magic fields of Mars, or there may be some kind of afterlife, but no god in it.

If she was born before they came to the island then she'd have known it for a large part of her life.

Mars may not be as bad as Ares.

I think Vulcan mentioned he was nicer than Ares, but he didn't bathe all that much.

Paul once lifted Thana in his arms and kissed her as a sort of tribute to Eris.

I think Zoat will surprise us an make the guy be a tall, tanned and well built guy that likes wearing bright clothing.

30. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

I wish you luck. Perhaps along the way you could make a chart of events of some sort, a spreadsheet perhaps.

Cuchulin and Katillno like this.