1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Good point, but my point still stands.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Technically, he's not malevolent: 'having or showing a wish to do evil to others'. In his first appearance he was show to be trying to improve the world and having at least some success. Rather, he's monstrous: 'inhumanly or outrageously evil or wrong'.

3. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

It would be valid if there was any evidence of some kind of in-universe standard that forces women into such costumes. One could argue that having Wonder Woman as the most prominent female hero in history (assuming it happened in this universe) influenced a lot of ladies' costume choices.

Of course, male costumes back in the day were basically "draw them like they were circus strongmen and bodybuilders, but use some bright color instead of skin and slap a logo on their chest." Even Iron Man inexplicably had muscles until around the mid 2000s, when Adi Granov actually drew Extremis to look like proper armor. Male hero costumes were and are still are based on idealized and conventionally sexually attractive male bodi -

Oh, what's that? Getting close to current-day politics? I'll knock it off now.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  4. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I think she's fifteen at this point, which IIRC is legal in fewer US member-states than sixteen is (in our timeline, but I don't see why that would need to be different on Earth-16). Meanwhile, sixteen is legal in England, where Paul is from.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It may be legal, but socially acceptable is another matter.

And the reason it may still be a law is because not a lot of people know about it since most adults don't try to have relationships, romantic or sexual, with teenagers, so the law doesn't get brought up all that often, and thus people may not know about it.

6. Mr Zoat

Yeah, but... Would you really want the alternative?

[​IMG]

7. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Was rather hoping we were done with this git.

DrThoth, Vorian and Darko like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

You are, for now.

9. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

The sauntering downward is entertaining in the same way watching a slowed down recording of a car wreck is. We know how the car pile up will end, and now we are watching the recording of how the first car just lost a tire and started to lose control... He is about to hit one of his first cars in the future pileup.

The fact Zoat is investing time on this setup means there are going to be future interactions between this guy and one of the main time-lines (rene or para), these updates are important, stop dismissing them outright.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

We know that they're important, but that doesn't mean we can't hate them.

11. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's interesting how already knowing what Ol' Tangy becomes makes every single thing he does creepy and unpleasant to read.

Rebu, Vorian and Agent Orange like this.
  12. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don't know, even the Crisis of Infinite Pauls didn't really have much of an overall impact on the story in my opinion. If things are building towards Tangseid becoming a multiversal conqueror and an overarching villain in his own right, then that could be interesting, but it's too early to tell. I may have said this before but I'm kind of hoping Renegade is the one to deal with him, just because he missed out on the multiversal shenanigans.

I'm somewhat interested in seeing how Tangseid will nab Circe; I do feel like Paragon not really doing anything with her is a bit more motivated by a need to distinguish that timeline from Renegade's than in-universe logic. He basically solved the animosity of Alkyone and co. and he does know Circe's core issue. I'm not saying he'll have an easy fix but I do feel like it's a problem he'd be interested in resolving. Hera's reappearance makes me hopeful he'll be interacting with more of the gods more frequently, particularly Hecate (for the Circe thing), Ares and of course Zeus.

Wetbananas, zeebza and Darko like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm betting he assimilated Nabu, gave him to another magician to wear and had said magician capture Circe for him.

Old Knife and DrThoth like this.
  14. Clell65619

Clell65619 Making the rounds.

I know that this version of the SI is supposed to be on a descent into sociopathy (if that's a word), but this here... Isn't this just dating?

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paragon and renegade were both uncomfortable with younger girls being sexually interested in them, while this one is interested in dating someone he knows is underage.

This chapter was basically here to show us how much further he's sliding into villainy and sociopathy, and just generally losing his morality.

Jaron and zeebza like this.
  16. DrThoth

I just reread Tangseid's first segment and noticed/remembered that Circe had a 'Nabu-ring', so that could be how it plays out, yes. Really, it's a good thing Renegade wasn't more malevolent, because with a construct Nabu he could do a lot of damage.

Tangseid also mentioned isolationist primitives who he 'convinced' to share groundbreaking technology, which I took to be a reference to the Amazons. I wonder if he dominated Hippolyta as well and if so, whether that was before or after Diana; Renegade found her soul-structure notable, though I'm not sure if that can just be explained by being a demigoddess daughter of Ares.

If you ignore his formula-based disregard for social norms as well as the presumed willingness to keep lying to her about his age and thus denying her the capacity to make an informed decision of consent.

zeebza and Darko like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

The main SI's version of Circe joined the Light, and much to Nylor Truggs's surprise actually listened to him when he said 'howsabout we just don't'. While he could hunt her down, she hasn't been active for a while and he's got other things to do.

18. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

What is her core issue anyway? And why does she hate Hippolyta so much?

19. freakytiki34

freakytiki34 Making the rounds.

I'm going to be controversial and say I like the Tangseid storyline. I hate the character obviously, but his story is shaping up to be something we've never had before: antagonist!Paul. We've never rooted against an SI before, and his whole plot opens up a lot of possibilities.

20. Mr Zoat

As I understand it, she has two core issues in the comics. Firstly, Hippolyta kicked her arse at some point before the Amazons fled to the island and she wants revenge. Secondly, Diana might fulfil the Hecate's conditions for revoking her power boost and she wants to kill her before that can happen.

21. Pez

Pez Spaceman

She hates Diana because of a prophecy that Diana will kill her. Circe made some deals to become immortal, which didn't work out like she wanted at first. Now she's just trying to escape the prophecy. Regengade worked out a solution, and now Circe doesn't need to kill Diana, because the phrophecy is moot.

Nothing controversial about it. You're allowed to like bad characters. I like the story, and the character. But then again, I read enough stories with heroes. Sometimes it's nice to read a good anti-hero, or villain in disguise, or even someone falling into darkness, right down that slippery slope. "She's young, but she's interested, and I'm horny..." "She's young and I'm horny... I can convince her." "Yeah, I'm hot for teacher. She still sees me as a kid, but a little Orange Light will fix that right up..." "She's a paragon of virtue and justice, but totally hot. Let me just tie her around the Orange Power Battery with her Lasso. She'll thank me for it as she's screaming my name in passion."

To me, Paul dating teenagers isn't that big of a deal, because he's physically a teenager, even if mentally older. It's not too dissimilar to Superboy or M'gann. Then again, maybe I've been warped by too many stories on QQ where things like that happen, like a first year SI Harry Potter having butt sex with Hermione Granger in the ROR...

22. DrThoth

I get the impression Renegade had a lot of detractors rooting against him early on in the fic, when he was the most evil iteration of the SI we saw, but I don't have a solid basis for that assumption since I came to the forum discussions fairly late.

I knew she was working with Truggs to get the Hero Dial, but I thought it was like her earlier appearance in the Johny Sorrows attack on Themyscira and it was just a temporary cooperation due to aligned goals. Her joining the Light makes sense given their poor state of magic users (I'm not sure how much Boss Smiley contributes on that front, but I know the vagueness of his powerset/motives/identity is the key aspect of his character). I'd have thought she would be more cautious since she should be aware what happened to her predecessors, but I guess that may explain her willingness to be cautious and subtle.

I'd be happy with any hero taking the initiative to track down the Light, which might well be happening but I'd like to actually see it happen or at least be discussed.

Did we ever get a resolution to Johny Sorrows' storyline in the Paragon timeline? It's been so long but I think he did successfully get the key needed to summon the King of Tears, but that's never come up.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, a lot of people didn't like him before he got some character development.

24. DrThoth

I didn't like the fact that he assimilated the resurrected Klarion instead of trying something else, since at that point he'd had his initial big Anti-Life crisis. He's backslid a bit in some ways, though I still think it's a good degree of development from earlier.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Not quite true.

There are the New Gods, which range from the likes of Darkseid and Highfather down to the guys who lick Darkseid's boots clean every morning.

And the DC's answer to the Inhumans, an alien civilization that discovered scientifically how to give random superpowers, the Competalians, so their powers range from "holy crap" to "Are you sure that qualifies as a superpower?"

Correction: The Alliance knows how to give out random superpowers, the bad guy, Anathema, who became tyrant, knows exactly how to give out exactly which superpowers she wants, with a side dose of slavery thrown in. Works on humans too.

There are also the psychic Titans, who in one iteration are refugees from one of the shrunken Brainiac bottle cities, and their powers range from "activate my own adrenaline for a burst of minor superspeed and strength" to "I can use telekinesis to emulate Kryptonian powers because I'm a Superboy fanboy."

Wetbananas and Cuchulin like this.
  26. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

No, I think its the other way around. Tangie-boy is so creepy, cringey, and unpleasant, it makes you root even more against him.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

It hasn't had much of an overall impact yet. But it set up that many Pauls know about each other, as well as the framework that can be developed in future story. We are only in season 5 out of 10 after all. I fully expect more multiverse stories. We haven't even met a Monitor yet, let alone the Anti-Monitor.

I really hope we see Peter Wynn again. It may just be my love of the DCAU, but I found that setting with Peter very compelling. His Batman also is aware after the Crime Syndicate incident and already preparing. I don't expect him and Tangside are the only ones. Plus there are other Paulternates who have been off-screen who could have been there.

Also isn't the Time Trapper position open now that Mandated Paul is back in his timeline?

28. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

god i love the teasing.

29. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I'm pretty sure the position was filled by someone else.

moralrelativity likes this.
  30. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Hey, at least she isn't fighting crime around in literal fetish gear...

That's Black Canary's job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Though TBF there are versions of Black Canary which aren't literally parading a collar which has no use, aesthetic or practical, beyond designating someone as a submissive. There's also the short-lived version from between when she ditched her original blond wig and when she grew her hair out and dyed it blonde. That one is instead trying her best to look like a professional domme and/or butch lesbian:
    [​IMG]

But to actually be fair, the Young Justice version could just be wearing her collar for the aesthetic. Her plausible deniability is intact.
    [​IMG]
    But not her dignity. She still has the fishnets
    Still kinda annoyed people call him Tangseid rather than Evaul.