1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

We know there's a Speed Force in the comics, along with the other Forces that were introduced in the n52, like the Sage Force, which is basically the Force from Star Wars in a lot of ways, so Superforce is as good an explanation as any.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

AND THAT'S ALL THAT NEED BE SAID ON THE SUBJECT.

3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Power of Rao.

Kryptonians attribute their solar powers on the divine gift of their creator god, or at least the religious among them do.

The one that it turns out Superman is a descendent of according to the Last God of Krypton.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

In the comics, didnt Black Adam get bewitched by Blaze and that is why the Wizard blamed Adam?

5. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

He's got a point there...

Rao, Vohc, Flamebird and Nightwing. The Gods of Krypton.

Wait.....ok...the Star System, and Star for the planet Krypton was named 'Rao' in honor of the God Rao.....but the star going nova was because one of the Endless talked the Star (or it's anthropomorphized embodiment) into exploding.

So there is a God named Rao, and a Star Named Rao, that is also sapient.

No WONDER the natives are so screwy.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Actually I think the star and the god Rao are the same.

And Despair convinced Rao to create a species on an unstable planet, not explode himself.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

[Digs into wiki's]

Rao is the system, and was named first in comics.

Rao was later made a God in lore so superman could swear in his name without comic code issues.

El, evidently was retconed to mean 'star' and Kal meaning 'child'...with Kal-El meaning 'Star Child'.

They added in a Kal-El the First as an early ancestor of Superman, and the whole clan

Other entries may point to Rao the God having kryptonian descendants leading to the El Family.

"Eldirao" seems to be the proper name of the Star in the Rao system itself (as of Infinite Crisis when Kal-L, Kal-El and Superboy Prime took a Dunk in it). Breaking it down as 'Star of Rao'

But the entity that the Endless were talking to Was named as Rao. Our Sun was refereed to as Sol, using the Latin/ Scientific name for it. The meeting was of celestial and cosmic bodies (With the one that cheated on the Endless's paramour being the star for the Mathusians)

....so I'm just more confused then when I started.

EDIT:

I have revised my earlier statement, after reading about post Nu-52 Rao

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

A common feeling people have when they try to view comic lore.

9. Threadmarks: The Other Half (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

12th July 2012
    13:24 GMT -8

Uncorporation staff run past me carrying machinery from.. I don't know where, heading to the laboratory Cranius is hastily rebuilding in his medical facility. Yeah, I don't know exactly how much blood is in Otto's body, but I very much doubt that he's designed to have multiple heads plugged into him for any length of time. I'm trying to stay out of their way, but I'm really big and there aren't a lot of clear gangways in a place this badly damaged.

Ah, it's going to have to come down anyway.

I exit the building through an external hole, getting a clear look at the physical damage most of the central business district of Aberrance has suffered. It's… Near-total. My constructs only held up the buildings for as long as it took for the people inside to evacuate, and the moment that happened and I left… Collapse. I've cleared the major streets so that vehicles could get through, but… It's not like there's a better place for the rubble to be while it gets sorted and processed.

Rising into the air, I fly to the point in the second storey closest to where Cranius is, open a hole in the wall and fly in. Cranius is still working, his head-transplant operations having expanded to plug people into what I'm sure are entirely voluntary volunteers from amongst the third generation cohort.

He doesn't look around.

"Grayven. We're working. Summary only, ja?"

'We're'-? Oh, that's Crassus assembling the bioreactor. He's out in the open in sunlight where people can see him. Weird.

"The insectoids are back in their enclosure, the elementals are banished and the wizard leading the attack appears to have left. An ally of ours is creating area wards around Aberrance which should prevent him reappearing. The attacker's name is Ahri'ahn."

"Zhe Atlantean? He is still alive?"

"Yeah, he dodged Adom's second punch. Don't know how many people are dead yet, but…" I look around his trauma ward. "It looks like the attack focused here. I'm estimating maybe ten or twenty outside."

"More here. Many more. When zhe creature appeared, zhe soldiers, zhey tried to fight it. I was… I was supposed to be working on a boy wizh… Leukaemia today. And now I… I have rubble."

"It killed him?"

"No. No, Niko ran wizh zhem to the back entrance… It attacked her and ignored zhem."

"And that's..? Where..?"

"I'm not dead, Grayven." Niko's head is attached to the stomach of a six-armed un-woman, and there's some sort of growth attached to her back that undulates as she speaks. "Though for some reason I can't stop thinking of head-puns."

"Uh. Are you..?"

"Better a head than dead. Right?"

Her expression is slightly pained, but she doesn't sound like she's on the verge of a total break down.

"What happened to your… Body?"

"I was too busy screaming to really get a good look."

"Radiation burns." Cranius begins slotting blood samples into a baroque-looking machine. "Fatal. Un-men are not prone to cancer but we can still catch fire."

"Remains?"

"Nozhing I can work wizh."

Oh dear. Sinestro, give me the news.

I fear that you are correct, Lantern Grayven.

"The Nth metal in her body. It's nothing I can't replace-" With a trip to Thanagar or to one of their perennial enemies. "-but it is rare and valuable and there are a lot of things someone could do with it. And my ring can't find your remains."

"I knew zhat zhe metal was valuable, but… Zhis whole..?"

"No, no. Ahri'ahn just finds un-men really disgusting. Though according to our Greek mutual friend he finds most people disgusting." I sigh. "I'll check, but I'm going to provisionally assume that Ahri'ahn got it. And, ah." I look Niko's head over. "The rest of you."

"So. I guess… No more flying for a while."

"Flying? You should be more worried about blood magic. When a magician of that level of experience gets a part of your flesh-."

But… I know a way around that. It… Might actually fix… Not everything, but-.

"Something.. occurs. Excuse me."

Mother Box, hush tube to wherever John Constantine is at present.

Ping.

Not completely unexpected. Just follow the scent of nicotine, then. I'm sure that he's at least trying.

Ping.

And I fly through the portal and-

12th July 2012
    14:27 GMT -7

-he is indeed, a literal sphere of cigarette smoke enshrouding his head and stubbornly refusing to drift away.

"The fact I can't see yeh-" His right hand and the cigarette it's holding emerge from the smoke. "-doesn't mean I don't know that someone's there."

"John, you've got something I want, and since I want it now I'm not going to haggle. What do you want for Gabriel's wings?"

With whatever Circe did to him to envelop his head in smoke I can't even scan his expression.

"Well that's-."

"Don’t mess about. A lot of people died today because Ahri'ahn went on a rampage. The only reason it's not more is that Cranius is plugging severed heads into other people's bodies to keep them alive."

I fire a blast of yellow at his face, transmuting the smoke into air. His eyes take a moment to adjust to the sudden light.

"You know where they are?"

"Yes."

He gives a small shrug. "You can owe me. Either that or get Madam Circe to take off these bothersome curses."

"I'll ask, but I'd suggest that you either stop pissing her off or just quit. I'm fine owing you. Mother Box."

"Ping."

I step through the portal and-

12th July 2012
    21:29 GMT

-Jesus this place is a sty. The wings -silver blood congealing on the severed stumps- are shoved out of the way on top of a rickety-looking shelving unit. I grab them and then walk through-

12th July 2012
    13:27 GMT -8

-into Aberrance.

"Got some replacement wings for you. The blood should also have healing properties."

"Zhank-."

"Oh God thank you. Ah. Do they work? They look a bit…"

"They should." I lay them down carefully on a gurney and Cranius leaps up to examine them. "Now I have to go and explain things to General Lane."

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  10. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

...The wings may cause some personality changes.

11. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

How’s Graven going to manage this? Use Awakening in place of the Holy Pomegranate?

12. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

The pomegranate was needed because the recipient was a demon.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Probably because she was an Un-Man, or Un-Woman in this case.

Yeah, now he smokes five packs of cigarettes a day instead of ten.

Progress.

I think Circe had something to do with this.

Called it.

You're going to regret those words renegade, you're going to regret them.

He does know a whole lot more about the Source compared to Paragon and those on his side, so he may have an easier time with this.

14. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

"It attacked her"

15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Let's see, he wants to get her Gabriel's wings because they'll prevent blood magic and give her healing powers to help fix the others? He probably should mention that explicitly to Cranius, I doubt he will prioritise her otherwise.

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the classic Astartes issue. Corridors considered large for normal people tend to feel a lot more cramped when you're eight-plus feet tall. Couldn't you at least fly above their heads to save space? :p Undignified as that might be.

And any unnoticed casualties get tallied up. Because you weren't here from the start, after all. A lot can happen in the few moments between receiving the call and exiting your Boom-Tube...

At least that gets around the issue of too many brains for one heart. Or two. Or as many as Otto has. Honestly, I'm surprised he hasn't considering using the Orange Ring to flash-form fresh bodies yet.

I know, right? You'd think it was an emergency or something. At least Arion the Elder didn't get to him too.

Regrettably so, despite Adom's best effort to reduce him to a bloody cloud. Wily bastard.

Shiiit. But if he hadn't been treated yet...

...He and his family were ignored because they were just Humans. Thank goodness. But... :eek: Niko's body had Nth Metal...

The growth being a secondary lung, I suppose. I'll bet most of the people made a head shorter will have similar...

...Let's leave the puns off while you're.. calm.

To be fair, I doubt she was paying much attention after the first punch...

...Ow. On the upside, Cranius can prevent any issues with tissue compatibility. So everyone involved will be a little uncomfortable for the next while, but alive.

...I suspect the term 'pile of hamburger' could be applied.

:p ...He's got a bad case of loving you? But seriously, if Arion the Elder realised what the Nth Metal is, and grabbed it...

Oh, no, that was just the cherry on top of the shit sundae...

...Wonder what Cranius could do with kryptonian body parts... Perhaps Karsta Wor-Ul could be convinced to do a little side-project in the cloning labs?

...This sounds like a Grayven Plan. Or worse, a Constantine Plan. And you never go full Constantine, man!

Let me guess. Keeping his head down?

Especially the scent of magic nicotine. Because Constantine.

...Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. One of Circe's little Vexing Hexes?

...Oh, my. My oh my oh my... Forget Kryptonians, what could Cranius do with Angelic DNA? At least until the Silver City takes exception to him...

Ah, typical Constantine, looking for his own advantage.

Presumably Constantine knows who each of them are, because he does teach at Circe's school. Arion the Elder's naem would have come up in Atlantean references, and Cranius might have consulted him on something, I guess. Maybe getting a new pair of cancer-proof lungs? :D

Not that he's going to tell John how. Unfortunately, their relationship isn't that close.

Asking Constantine to not piss someone off? That's like asking a fish not to breath water.

Yes, other Box, he is an unpleasant fellow. But such have their uses.

I really hope that lock-up has plenty of wards. Can you imagine the shit John's got piled up in there?

Ah, might want to give him more info than that, Grayven... You know, provide some disclaimers: Not responsible for behavioural changes, not responsible for outbursts of Moral rigidity...

Oh, believe me, honey, they will work. You'll feel positively heavenly...

General Lane is probably going to have some very big questions to ask Grayven, I bet. Not least amongst them: Who? Why? How? Will he hit anywhere else in the US? How do we kill him? All questions of great import, I think. Given Cranius' work for the military, in use or not, I think they'll be quite irritated by Arion the Elder's actions...

"Well, that's-."
    Extra Line Return there.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  17. liger0

liger0 Getting out there.

Well, Cranius was calling Niko his "angel". Now, it'll be rather more literal.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Let's not do that.

I think it's worse.

It's a Grayvenstantine plan!

They've merged.

Two self-destructive forces have merged into one being.

They'll destroy us all!

Billy agrees with this.

Assuming they do.

They went after Paul because he took the fruit, not the wings, and they don'tseem to have a problem with Angel Paul.

At least from what we've seen from his side.

Those should last about a month, maybe two.

Let's not do that.

No one wants those nightmares.

And hell there might honestly be actual nightmares in there.

Assuming it happens with her.

Blaze became moral due to the fruit.

Angel Paul did seem to have changed a bit though, and was acting in a weirdly polite way, so it may do some alterations to her personality.

19. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Shouldn't Grayven know better than to owe Constantine? He has to know that's basically a death sentence.

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It wouldn't be the first time he's done something very, very stupid, with little thought given to the consequences.

22. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

What happened to Crassus in the Paragon timeline? My memory of the initial appearance of Aberrance in the story is hazy but I know the bio-titan thing destroyed a lot more of the place (I think he was connected to that?).

I think being upfront with the League that Larissa is Circe is just an all-around good idea, it seems like an obfuscation that prevents short-term awkwardness at the risk of straining relations in the long-term (sure, Renegade does that anyway with most things he does, but still). Unless it's her or Renegade intentionally being a troll (a phrase that takes on a different meaning when mages are involved). Lack of communication/coordination between them all indirectly led to Artemis getting sucked into the future, and things could have been a lot worse given the players involved.

Speaking of coordination, there's no Alliance of the Just in the Renegade timeline, so I'm wondering what Alpha Centurion is up to there (he's a pretty interesting character who just faded into the background, which seems a shame. I think introducing him as just returning to Earth would have been a better story decision than just having a space-capable superhero randomly being around all this time, but maybe that's just me).

How are things going with Renegade-Morgaine le Fey? Is she involved with Circe's school in any way? I'd be interested in her Paragon incarnation showing up too somehow; Squire and Cornwall Boy both seem like reasonable plot devices to get involved. Reminds me that SHADE is still an issue in the main timeline as well?

Who has the Trident of Oceanus in the Renegade timeline? I expect Atlantis to be heavily involved in the story soon.

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think the Cult of Cobra got him.

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I kind of doubt Grayven has any intention of actually following through with that.

25. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

It probably wouldn't even be the tenth time he did, but I'm not planning to to go back and count.

Vorian, Darko and moralrelativity like this.
  26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Eh she would still be half human, and it should balance with the being an unman thing.

27. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Should probably warn her of the side effects.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

I imagine Grayven isn't quite dumb enough to give Constantine mystical leverage in the form of a favor owed and 100% have no intention on going through with it.

Constantine might not be of the Sidhe, but I imagine he could leverage a favor owed nearly as well.

Prince Charon, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  29. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Isn't backstabbing Constantine also a death sentence?

Assblaster5000 and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Knowing Constantine can be a death sentence, anything else is just you speeding things up.