1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Wish we had an index of all the different Paul's and characters. I'd love to read the Buffy version again, and the Nazi Kara one.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I think that's how he'd say it.
    I don't think there was one in the Nazi timeline.

KenNM, Gilhelmi, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  3. RichardWhereat

No, I mean when he takes her to meet her non-nazi self. And I guess that was never Kara. That was someone else who was experimented on.

KenNM, Gilhelmi and DAT_NOOB like this.
  4. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

i though Zoat hate the Nu crap, why are the signs pointing toward the Parliament of Metal ( or whatever government type they use) showing up

5. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

6. RichardWhereat

Gilhelmi, TopHatWearer and doug89 like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He has used some things from it from time to time, like characters that showed up in the n52, so he may have decided to use the Metal.

Though it may also be something else.

Gilhelmi, zeebza and TopHatWearer like this.
  8. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

He isn't dreaming of electric sheep?

Or oil powered sheep in his case, I guess

Actually, this could be the explanation: one AI or other has gotten/is trying to get a soul and as a side effect a lot of machines are getting snippets of one too

Which would be a problem. Giving AI rights is obvious but when every mechanical/electric thing suddenly gains agency there would be chaos

9. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Zoat may hate the nu crap but he loves fucking with us,

10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh-ho! Well, there's someone I forgot about entirely. Last seen surrendering to Black Canary and OL on the promise of a fair trial under OL's 'non-conventional Human' laws. What's he been up to, then? Evidently, whatever it is, it's turning a good profit...

Ah... So ask a machine that can actually talk to humans to poke them and see if anything pops out?

Ah, OL. So amusingly oblivious to deeper meanings when it's funny. Honestly, you never thought that he might assume that?

While not entirely related to this... Fun anecdote: The brand-name 'Taser' is actually an acronym, from a sci-fi tale: 'Thomas A Swift's Electric Rifle'. Because, you know, the obvious similarities.

Which more than a few ladies probably found annoying... And those around them found amusing? At least these manifestations are benign so far.

Heh. Whatever's causing this (Nascent Elemental!) by and large seems to want to help people. :( Wonder how long that will last once they actually start interacting with Humanity...

Read: No magic, just a case of brain-scan running on entirely conventional hardware... At least, in this universe.

Assuming they can work out some kind of communication protocol. After all, computers were notoriously hard to get to work together... At least, before the Internet came along and standardised things.

Well, that makes a lot of sense. Can't wait to see how badly it goes wrong. Unless Mr Zoat wants us to expect that and is feeling contrary. ;)
    (Murphy: "Okay, now you're just being disingenuous...")

I kind of prefer the term Synthetic-American... 'Artificial' has some awkward connotations...

To be fair, though, most of the machinery involved in oil drilling is only able to do one thing, and already do it as best they can...

Ah, the strange philosophical conundrums of synthetic consciousnesses...

Which is somewhat different to the original version, who was a 'brain in a bottle' scenario. Still, the change gives us Earl here, so...

He may well not have qualified for full entry into the Pearly Gates... Though that doesn't mean he was hell-bound either... Probably got the 'plain' heaven...

Good luck finding him though. I guess he generally hangs out near his sweetheart in what, San Francisco?

On the other hand, it's probably easier for Earl to put off dying proper for a long time. Just keep upgrading and transferring into newer bodies. But then you run into the question of continuity of consciousness... Would him shutting down and transferring into a new body count as the same guy or a new one with the memories of the previous? :confused: Argh, this is why people don't like to think about these things...

That's not an invitation to take your shirt off, OL. Let's not repeat that Zatanna moment, shall we? I'm also honestly not sure Earl would be able to perceive them if they were visible on the skin, what with his relatively minor mystical silhouette.

Maybe taking a look at the structure of the Reds' core would help? After all, isn't the Morrow Construct still around somewhere? Perhaps he could offer some measure of expert insight.

Gee, doesn't that sound significant...

:p Who probably ask "Have you turned it off and back on again?" just out of habit...

And sometimes it's something else. I get the feeling something growing in the Dreaming was trying to drop some very vague hints...

:D So... No Electronic Sheep? ...Dammit! :oops: Nearly made it all the way without making that joke!

Now that's quite the callback to earlier episodes. Earl first appeared in what, the first year of the story? And now he's playing a part in a technology-related plotline. This points more and more to an emergent Kingdom... I mean, the Earth's mystical sphere is surely a bit shaken up after the Sheeda invasion, after all. What better time for one to emerge from the Dreaming? And you know... The Metal isn't the only form an Elemental Kingdom of Technology could take...

11. RichardWhereat

No. He dreams of 01100101 01101100 01100101 01100011 01110100 01110010 01101001 01100011 00100000 01110011 01101000 01100101 01100101 01110000

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If it decides to kill us after watching that, then it is right to do so.

This makes sense.

Chojin, it's getting harder to feel sympathy for you if you keep going to Murphy.

Or Limbo.

He can contact some of his magician allies to tell him where he is.

Dangit, this may have been OL starting a romantic relationship with a guy, and a robot at that.

The tattoos block magic and clarketech like rings, Earl may be able to view them.

He's with Tornado

Hey, it works.

If it can free a mans penis then maybe it can also help with dreams.

But it was the most prominent in the comics and it was an interesting storyline.

13. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Funnily enough, I was reading one of the chapters of Gunnerkrigg Court where a robot gets a new body that it's mind grows into, titled "She Gave us An Ocean". I wonder if how much Earl's mind has been growing...

Minars90 likes this.
  14. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

that dream sounds strangely familiar.
    Like a room full of characters removed by authors out of existence about to be reintroduced into the narrative of the current timeline.

You aren't about to dump a while bunch of new/old guys on us are you Zoat?

15. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Limbo? I wasn't planning to.

16. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

Can someone explain to me what "The Metal" actually is?

WereDragon and TopHatWearer like this.
  17. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's an Elemental Parliament like The Green (that thing Swamp Thing is connected to), except instead of being for plants it's tied to computers and machinery.

A comparison could be made to The Omnissiah and/or The Motive Force from 40k. Or Mekhane if you prefer SCP.

18. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Guys I think The Metal is a red herring. It is too well known, for one, among fans.

Let’s focus on something more compatible with this story like Kilg%re, Grid (as a backwards way to introduce Cyborg), or Robo-Octo-Ape.

There was also a villain from Alan’s time, a spirit created from “mankind’s endless radio waves” that threw robot bodies at super heroes and claimed to control all of technology, but I can’t remember its name. Mr Zoat actually linked in one chapter, but I just can’t recall.

19. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

... Only 100 episodes ago!?

I feel like this story is far longer than that.

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  20. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

By Asian legends, anything over a century old, even rocks, might gain a soul or spirit on their own. If that something already thinks like a person is in theory much faster.

Unfortunately anything that has not got a religion, in this fanfic, defaults to Hell. In my DC stories, as they all have some DCAU influence, it defaults to Hades.

That's a problem as reincarnation in Hades is freaking difficult, yes Hades expands as needed but sooner or later is gonna hit the theorical limit. The place is already much bigger that Earth and while the handling of evil souls is more or less automated one of Hades reasons to invade the surface is that if he actually rules Earth, even if only symbolically, he can actually change the rules of how things work in Hades.

As it is; he can make personal choices but not change the basic rules, just like Zeus cannot legally take a thousand wives.

Is the result of the Titans not being completely dead and the Greek Gods refusing to eat them for extra power.

He would need the belief of many living people to change the system.

21. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

What was the reason for Earth’s default afterlife being Hell? Was it ever mentioned?

22. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

If, and that's a big if here because of how long it's been, I'm remembering things correctly it's not so much that it's the default afterlife, just that the spared of Christianity (and all associated variants) made it far more likely that people would go there, because any act of religious note counts towards where you go when you die, which includes things like saying "What the hell?".

So because using sayings like that are so common in the modern world people are more likely to go to The Silver City or hell when they die.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it may be because The Source or Presence has a much greater degree of control over reality than gods spawned from the Dreaming, so they and any realm that are somehow connected to them get things that Dreaming spawned gods can't.

24. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Most or all of the Western world (however you want to define that term) has a legacy of Christianity kind of baked into it, so even if someone from those places personally isn't Christian, it's a cultural norm that they'd be hard-pressed to avoid. The North Rhelasian guy that Paragon brought back via Lazarus pit didn't seem to be in any Abrahamic hell, he was just being tormented by his own ancestors in an afterlife presumably associated with Korean shamanism.

Part of the whole thing is thus the context of your upbringing, and even if people of Abrahamic faiths lose their faith and stop believing or practicing, unless they actively find another belief system, it's the one they'll be stuck in. I'm not sure what happens to people in Western societies like neopagans/Wiccans/etc. but hopefully they get to go to Otherworld or something. After all, Hades occasionally gets people closely tied to Greek history/culture show up in modern times (even before Paragon massively increased his workload).

I really would like an update where we see Thana preaching or giving a lecture, or maybe a religious debate, to see how her spread of Hellenism project is going.

25. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Huh, a religious robot. I was not expecting that. Neat.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul talked to an angel about this.

The angel said that they sometimes get neo pagans.

He explained that aside from just believing in pagan gods, the person also needs to participate in rituals and rites that offer worship to those gods.

Finerc, zeebza and DrThoth like this.
  27. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Maybe giving AI rights caused enough of a shift in how humans see machines that it triggered the creation of the metal.

28. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

http://wtr.greenmaw.com/wiki/Characters

Sadly it gets updated really sporadically, whenever someone (re)discovers its existence and gets a burst of inspiration to work on it. Really doesn't help that there's just a ridiculous amount of material to classify.

29. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Something that "They" Tried to kill...but the Metal would not die.

30. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

*Perks up head like a Squirrel*

Hehehehehe. And who do we know that just loves the new and improved reputation that Chaos is getting?

*deep inhale* ALL HAIL ERIS!!!!

After all, why not help poor sentient beings gain agency, the ability to choose? After all, it is the right thing to do in this stagnant world. :)

hehheehhehehhehhehhehehhehehhehhhehhehehhehehhahhhahahhahhhahhahhahahhahahhahahhhehehhehehhehheh

(I know its not her...... probably...... but I do miss her style of fun.)

Vorian and Xmaster3000 like this.