1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I recall seeing an SI fic once. The SI was pondering in a dark alley, and Constantine came out of the fog, starting a spooky/warning thing that he does.....and the SI instantly atomized him.

2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Do you have a link to that fic, or remember its name? That sounds interesting.

3. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Give me Jensen Shades or give me death.

4. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Is all the lights combined minus Black so... it is basically the equivalent of being attacked by all the lights minus Black; at the same time.

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That's impressive since Zoat made him up. DC has several off brand Constantines- Including a magician who may or may not be Rasputin the Mad Monk. A John Quinn isn't among them though.

As for Golden Boy he wanted to merge with Constantine and use his Laughing Magician powers to usher in a Golden Age.

All it would take was for Constantine to commit suicide in their shared mental world.

So Constantine accused Golden Boy of using his Laughing Magician power to make Constantine's life the living hell it had been and then murdered him in their shared mental world.

Zoat is of the opinion that Constantine was just being a paranoid asshole there, but I understand the majority opinion is that Golden Boy was a bastard coated bastard with a creamy bastard filling villain with good publicity.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not necessarily, assuming he is the Golden Boy.

Constantines mother, Mary Anne, was called Mary Anne Quinn before she married Constantines father.

It's possible that John just gave him the Helmet for some weird reason.

Though if Zoat is feeling like subverting expectations, which he does from time to time, he could just make Quinn's origin fairly mundane.

As in he is what he told Paul at their first meeting, a street magician who worked with Constantine from time to time.

Not Golden Boy, just some guy.

All of these things, like the name, the connection to Constantine, all seeming like they're clues to some grand mystery, end up being just coincidences.

Ngamer11 and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Considering that Golden Boy's name is John Constantine, Zoat made up John Quinn up either way.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The guy probably thought I'd be better to use his mothers maiden name rather than his fathers last name.

Assuming he is the Golden Boy and Zoat isn't just making us think it is while in reality it may be something else.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

This phrase could be read two ways, and both are correct. They are the most recent model of suppression chain, and they are chains that suppress the generation of current -- which is a useful thing to have around when you're dealing with an electricity-aligned individual.

You're such a troll. Ngamer11, you should really be more careful about asking questions that are subject to that trick.

10. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

What's Angelica's day job?

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Sorry, I didn't notice the 'or not'. Sandy is a member of the team.
    She managed to get control of a number of her brother's businesses after his arrest.

12. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Seconded. Link please?

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Found an old error. That should be Rocket Red.

14. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I do not.

I think it was actually a dead fic. I want to say I found it on TV tropes...but I can't quite remember. Sorry.

I honestly don't remember anything other than that moment. I don't even remember what the SI's powers were.

So....basically John Constantine?

From what I always understood. Golden Boy did everything John did...without fucking it up and getting people killed.

Otto von Saurion, Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  15. Threadmarks: Maladaptive (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

24th July 2012
    14:31 GMT

"I appreciate the thought, Paul, but it just wouldn't work."

Hephaestus peers through his magnifying glasses at the contraption on his work bench, a thing that will eventually form the magic containment for Richard Simpson's android body. It's based on the design Thomas Morrow used for Danni and Red Tornado, but it needs to be able to handle demonic magic. The model the Morrow construct put together most decidedly wasn't.

"Why not?"

He leans back in his seat, his brow furrowing.

"Have you ever tried eating an entire roasted ox yourself in one sitting?"

"No?"

"Now, imagine that rather than eating it, you were trying to just slide it into your skull next to your brain. And then closed your skull right up again."

"You know, I do understand enough about thaumaturgy that you don't have to resort to nonsensical metaphors to explain these things to me."

He swivels the chair around to face me.

"Okay. A better metaphor would be to say that I'd dissolve. The God of Technology is colossal. If Doctor Fate says that it's a god and not a titan then I'll believe him, but it's going to be far more powerful than any god in our pantheon."

"'Our'?"

"The Greek pantheon doesn't exactly have a God of Avarice. When you finally do die, Hades might decide to kick you upstairs."

"I-. I don't think that's a good idea."

Hephaestus chuckles quietly. "When has that ever stopped us? You're looking at the man who dragged Aphrodite and Ares to Olympus in a net. I'm lame. Have you got any idea how far I had to drag them? Ares spent the first day cursing me, then just went to sleep until we got to the throne room."

He turns back to his work.

"'Rage is a hell of an anaesthetic'?"

"Stubbornness makes you ignore how stupid you're being."

"Zeus said 'no' to the divorce petition, then?"

"I think there was a 'no' somewhere in between all the guffaws. It was hard to tell."

"Sorry about that."

"I'm used to it."

"But at least Zeus is over his divorce, right?"

"Don't think you're off the hook, there. Zeus can bear a grudge like an immortal god with no day job to distract him."

"Ugh. Is there a way to pay him off? Or… I don't know, twelve things he urgently needs a demigod to take care of?"

"Not these days. Sorry."

"I'll just have to keep watching the skies, then. But going back to why you can't absorb the God of Technology..?"

"It would be like putting a single drop of ink in an ocean. What was left of me would be too broken apart to function as any kind of directing mind. And that's even assuming that I was compatible."

"Why wouldn't you be?"

"I'm the God of the Forge. Making things. I'm not the god of made things. Remember what happened when you showed me that ingot that got made by nanotech rather than a foundry?"

I nod. He could work it, but it was obviously taking a lot more concentration than a foundry-made ingot.

"Vulcan made the switch from volcanoes."

"This isn't something you can argue away, Paul. It's just how it works, mechanically. And honestly, I'm not sure I'd want it even if I could get it."

He picks up the diabolic responsometer and moves it around, searching for imperfections. He doesn't appear to find any.

"Okay, this is done. You okay making the rest?"

I nod. "I can make a non-combat model. If Richard wants something a bit heavier then he can negotiate with John."

He nods, passing it to me. I take it and stow it in my carry case.

"Vulcan? You about done?"

A fully exploded Earl Dukeston the Second is strapped to a series of custom gurneys as Vulcan inscribes the runes required to enable him to develop a metaphysique onto every component. It's a little disturbing how he's awake, aware, and watching with what appears to be genuine interest. It's hard to tell exactly how he feels, as his faux skin was an early casualty of the process.

"Just about."

"Ah'm a real boy, Pah?"

"I do mechanical engineering and magic. If you want a penis, talk to Paul."

"I can build you a penis, but I don't understand your programming well enough to integrate it into your mind."

"Ah don't have those kinda drives. Docs said it'd take a whole mess of hormones and suchlike they couldn't just program into my noggin. Sides, what would ah do with that kinda thing?"

"Whatever you want. That's the point. But your body, your peripheral choices. Vulcan, is Richard's fetish making it any easier?"

Not pausing in his work, Vulcan nods.

"I don't know what he was hoping to achieve with this, but he did good work. It almost seamlessly draws the God of Technology's magic from the Dream and integrates it into the world. Let him know I'm genuinely impressed."

"I will."

"With that, binding magic to Earl's frame and making it act like a normal soul is much easier. Have you shared it with the Atlanteans?"

"I haven't, but I'm sure that the League will."

"This could make integrating machinery and magic much easier."

"Ah'm going to have to talk to mah pastor about this magic stuff."

"Shouldn't you have done that before..?"

"Way ah saw it, whatever he thought of magic, he wasn't going to complain about me getting a soul."

"Do you feel any different?"

"Ah ain't exactly at mah best right this second. Maybe kinda… Twinkley? Ah don't really know what having a soul's supposed to feel like."

"Okay." Vulcan puts his soldering iron down and pulls a lever, unlocking the clamps holding Mr. Dukeston down. "That should do it."

Mr. Dukeston pulls himself together, concertining back into a single seat and looking himself over.

"No, still feel the same ole me. Guess a soul's something you grow into."

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Heph has a point.

I think in some myths Hephaestus and Aphrodite were divorced and Heph got together with Aglaea, one of the Charites.

And he is an immortal god with no day job.

And if that comment future Paul made during the GATE sidestory is true, then Paul may end up facing Zeus in the future.

It's nice to know that Paul can still be disturbed from time to time.

Paul Talowin, procurer of the strange.

18. Zelnik

Zelnik Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

me?

19. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

Of Greek gods, wouldn't Hermes be the god of technology?

fappingtoyourpost and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Presumably he floated the idea of Hephaestus subsuming himself into the emergent Machine to become its driving personality. And evidently that was not as clever as OL or we here thought...

Well, OL hasn't. I'm sure Larfleeze probably tried multiple times with the Okaaran local equivalents. And probably managed it better due to Orange Light shenanigans.

Yeah, there's a hell of an image for you. And I suspect no-one could pull that one off. o_O Except maybe Plastic Man...

"Then don't ask stupid questions."

Consider the difference in scales of belief. Most people who interact with technology have some measure of faith that it'll do what it advertises. The Greek and Roman gods? Besides some stuffy academics, the Amazons and maybe some Atlanteans, how many people are actively worshipping? I doubt our evangelising Amazon priestess of Hades has had that many converts...

:rolleyes: Though it would go some way to explaining his issues in the 'Gate' snippets... Not that i figure he actually would accept, being a God would likely tie you down to Earth's thaumosphere in some uncomfortable way...

...Well, I guess people seeing that would explain where the myth actually comes from. I bet Hephaestus was quite happy to explain the procession and harp on certain deities' shortcomings.

But it sure made you feel better... Until you got to Olympus, at least.

Probably lucky Zeus was presumably sitting on his throne. It probably would have reduced the gravitas of the moment if he was rolling on the floor laughing his ass off. :p

No, OL. Don't go putting that super-conducting lightning rod away just yet...

Maybe you could bribe him off with.. ladies of negotiable virtue? Lots of ladies? Or set up an internet connection and a paid subscription to every good adult video site on the internet?

Ah, these wonderful conversational sidetracks. The things we learn about his associates...

Well, for a start... Hephaestus is a god of old-fashioned stuff more than modern. Artisanal, hand-made works, not the automata-produced, mass-replicated products of modern manufacturing...

Sums it up nicely. Probably linked to the mystical signature of the maker, to some degree. Machines making machines would have a much weaker footprint than something poured by hand, even on industrial scales.

No rules-lawyering your way into a friend getting the Machine position, eh? Guess you'll have to befriend the Machine when it awakens, the old-fashioned way.

I hear responsometer, I immediately think Doc Magnus and the Metal Men... Honestly, I am kind of looking forwards to seeing them in the story someday. Always had a soft spot for them for some reason...

I don't foresee Simpson earning any upgrades anytime soon...

And I am picturing a technological version of the Vitruvian Man... Floating in mid-air, with Vulcan plucking single pieces out to etch them then putting them back into place...

Oh, hush that funnin', hoss. This is serious business...

And I am loving that they are discussing it with complete seriousness, at that. Perhaps sir would like some adjustments to the traditional design? Ribbed for her pleasure (or his, no judging here!) Vibration features, perhaps?

After all, you might find once you have a soul, you starting feeling unfamiliar urges, like this little thing called Love.

At least Simpson's stupidity had some benefit. Pity such talent is wasted on a shit like him.

To be honest, I really don't see the League doing that. Might need to poke Orin and Quinn to touch base, maybe?

Well, I suppose now he's going to have an immortal soul, he'll have to see about taking care of it...

One more for the Lord, eh? How would you list that on whatever they use for conversion documentation? "Ensouled and baptised one android."

Hmm... I wonder if the Reds have that sort of feedback? Then again, their souls are more Elemental than Human...

Indeed. OL can give you a few tips about that. Mostly warnings about proximity to exotic energies and the like...

Okay, then. If OL wants to get in with the new Machine God, he'll have to diplomance it the old-fashioned way, I suppose. At least Earl is getting something good out of all this. Let's hope he takes care of his new parts better than some people do. Wonder what the Silver City will make of him if he reaches the Pearly gates... :D

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he's just the god of inventors, so his domain may be similar to Heaphaestus'.

Assuming Zoat's version of Hermes actually is a god of inventors.

Paul mentioned that the Greek Pantheon doesn't really have a god of hire, while in the myths Hephaestus was the god of fire.

Zoat could have also changed Hermes' domains here.

Hermes could just be a god that invents things from time to time, but lacks any divine connection to inventions or inventors.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't know.

After all the magic shit that went down people may have started worshipping them.

And after Hell was revealed to be real a lot of criminals may have converted to Hellenism.

With the Abrahamic religions you're basically damned for eternity, barring any change of heart down in Hell.

With Hellnism there is punishment, but it's not permanent and is not as harsh.

I think Zeus can get ladies on his own.

Or size shifters.

I'm betting they'll find him a little odd but welcome him none the less.

When Paul went there he was in the form of a snake and the Angel thought he was a modified organism and told him that he was welcomed in Heaven.

Though they may be suspicious if they find out Paul helped him get his soul.

zeebza, Ardy, moralrelativity and 4 others like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

24. Bomaz

Bomaz Know what you're doing yet?

Paul wants to bring technological revolution to earth. Why doesn't he extend the offer to eris?

Was already hinted at that eris and heph might make a god of tech

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  25. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Is there also a full pantheon of Roman gods like Vulcan in this story, or are some of the Greek ones doing double duty?

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Tell that to Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

You are just lucky you don't really have any regrets and paid your dues.

27. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Why kick him upstairs for that? Paul could just become a Cthonic deity instead.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Probably the same reason Heph refused.

She may not want to be destroyed trying to merge with the tech god.

Also she's not really connected to technology, unlike Hephaestus who is connected in some minor ways, largely due to his forge domain, so it may not be possible for her.

Paul suggested the idea.

Hephaestus said no.

The guy doesn't want to stick it to crazy.

There is Jupiter, and I think Melinoe mentioned Orcus, a Roman underworld god, when she went to Atlantis with Paul.

And I think she called him uncle.

It's possible the Roman gods in this fic are like their comic counterpart, and were split from the Greek pantheon by Darkseid because he feared their power.

Figure of speech to describe his apotheosis.

29. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

is there a way for paul to fix the lameness. modern smiths dont suffer from that. it would be one hell of a favour!

zeebza likes this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul suggested cybernetics, but Heph didn't seem all that interested.

Other gods also weren't willing to heal him since Zeus caused his injury and they were worried they'd make an enemy of him if they did that.

And I'm pretty sure if a modern smith was seriously injured then they can become lame.

Prince Charon, zeebza and Cuchulin like this.