1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

You haven't forgotten as it hasn't been stated. The gyuanites are the majority population, while the torcite's great grandparents were immigrants.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Surprisingly calmly. There are wars in their pre-space flight history, but nothing like what we had.

2. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

It's a lot easier to get people to give you money again next year if you don't stab them first.

3. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I guess I made the previous comment on this too much of a joke and didn't make it clear that it was a correction. My bad. "self-deprecating".

4. Mr Zoat

I think I'll leave it. The words mean the same thing and if I haven't spotted that it's wrong then the SI almost certainly hasn't.

5. Deadring

Deadring Screee!

While Renaissance era Venice was known to go to war, throughout the majority of that city-state's history, they prioritized trade and economic expansion over direct conflict. Of course, they still possessed (and used) military force, but it was often composed of mercenaries and used to secure trading routes or alliances.

Trying to be the Venice of the sector, indeed.

6. Threadmarks: Negetiations (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

12th August 2012
    17:50 GMT

HCO nods.

"What are your alliance's long term plans?"

"I imagine that an honest answer would depend on which member-government you asked. At the core, N.E.M.O. is an alliance of civilisations who were actively under attack by Reach infiltrators or felt that they would be next when their current targets fell. Plus one or two civilisations who just like fighting." I shrug. "There are always going to be some like that."

Trade presses a button to call up a hologram, showing… Commodity transfers and prices.

"We've noticed that we're doing appreciably less trade with several member worlds than we were prior to them becoming members."

I nod. "Yes. We've arranged things so that vital materials can be traded more easily amongst member worlds, and most of them have reduced tariff barriers in response. We can secure our internal space far more easily than we can our external space. Outside that, we'd risk having our supply lines attacked by our enemies. And to be fair, attacking a ship carrying military supplies during a war isn't exactly unreasonable."

"Have you experienced any such attacks?"

"It's difficult to say. The Reach are experts in the use of third party agents and concealed attacks. Ships have gone missing, but it's… Not easy to tell the exact reasons. They go missing a lot less in areas we control, and we suspect that this is due to the greater concentration of armed patrols and the constant monitoring."

DA makes a frown-equivalent gesture. "Has N.E.M.O. imposed additional tariffs on external trade?"

"One moment." Ring? "N.E.M.O. as a whole has no external tariff policy. Member civilisations are free to determine their external tariff policy themselves. Out of… Several hundred members, three have changed their external tariff policy after becoming N.E.M.O. members and only one of them regularly sent ships here. If you're fishing for an invitation to our next internal trade talks, I can pass that on to the relevant people but those are.. generally members only affairs."

"But you don't intend to extend your protection outside of your own-. Your current borders."

"We don't intend to send warships into neutral space during a war, no. I mean, if there was an actual mayday transmission and someone was in range we'd probably send them, but we have a.. war to fight. Generally speaking, if somewhere wants to trade without having pirates and privateers take a cut one way or the other, they use their own security fleets. Or at least hire private security companies to do it for them. The Brotherhood of Zvort have quite a good reputation, if you're thinking of moving in that direction."

"No. We are concerned that the Brotherhood's Code of Conduct violates our neutrality."

"That's… Rather the drawback of neutrality. It doesn't guarantee protection from your enemies and it doesn't make you any friends. Have you considered offering shipping insurance?"

Public Order makes a gesture of mild frustration with his right hand. "A number of companies based here already offer insurance policies to shipping firms."

"But there's no enforcement. So a shipping company is going to look at a high risk journey here and compare it to a low risk journey within N.E.M.O., which… Might not offer them quite the same level of gross profit, but will have a lot less in deductions. And less chance of them dying. I mean, a big shipping company would probably be happy taking the money, but a lot of these are small traders. If they get pirated then it's their next of kin who get the payout, and they're not going to replace the ship that got destroyed."

PO nods. "You want us to… Offer bounties?"

"I don't-. I can't clap my hands and reverse a trade deficit. I'm pointing out why -even without direct action by N.E.M.O.- the amount of traffic you're receiving is going down. And pointing out that you could remedy this." I shrug. "Or you can wait it out. The war won't last forever."

Defence Force switches the hologram to an approximate rendition of N.E.M.O. and Reach territory. "And how long do you see the war lasting?"

"Based on currently available technologies, and barring any revolutionary breakthroughs, something in the region of sixty years. Though.. after ten things will probably start normalising, because we'll be pushing into Reach space proper and their assets should be too hemmed in to carry out external attacks."

"Ten years to normalise?"

"I hope so. My girlfriend and I have pencilled in our wedding for then. If we're not at that stage by then, I might have to do something really crazy."

"Like.. pursue a more aggressive policy?"

"Like eat their planets whole." I shrug. "Our secondary aim is to create a community that outlasts this war. There's not much point in destroying the Reach if everyone on our side immediately turns on each other. And I.. really don't like killing that many people personally. I've been involved in a couple of extermination campaigns and I-. Well, I'd rather not be in that position again."

"You're planning on exterminating the people of the Reach?"

I shake my head.

"Both of the previous instances were clone-races with little individuality. The cost of occupying their worlds and altering their civilisations was simply prohibitive. With regards to the Reach, we intend to permanently remove their ability to make war. Whether that involves them surrendering and disarming or being bombarded back to the stone age is up to them. Though… If it helps, we don't plan on restricting their civilian trade."

"Ah. And if you lose?"

"Then I'll be dead or mind controlled, so if the Reach continue to act as they have with their previous conquests I.. imagine that the resources of formerly N.E.M.O. worlds will be extracted purely at the pleasure of our new Reach owners, who may choose to trade with external parties when profitable."

"We…" HCO deactivates the hologram so that she can look me directly in the eyes. "We would be willing to act as dispute mediators. We have already made an offer to the Reach ambassador, and-"

"Negotiator."

"-they-. I beg your pardon?"

"Negotiator. That's their title. The Reach doesn't have ambassadors."

"Negotiator, then, and they have accepted. We were-."

"Hah!"

"We.. were hopeful that we could bring things to a close, and restore peace and free trade to this part of the galaxy."

My eyes glow orange as I take a closer look. She's-. No, she's serious. She's been involved in mediation efforts in belligerent stellar nations before and she…

Huh.

"Okay."

"O-kay?"

"Yes, I'm willing to attend mediation. I don't really think it will get anywhere, but I'm willing to sit in a room with a Negotiator and explain why in detail. When do you want to do-"

My ring blinks.

"-this? Sorry, excuse me."

I lift my left hand to my ear.

"Yes?"

"Lantern Drusa here. We have a problem."

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  7. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

...is it that their Negotiator has a really snazzy suit?

Also

"I'm pointing out why", I think

8. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Is this the thread that when pulled shows the Reach is fucking around because of course they are? Will Paul meeting with a Negotiator throw him/her off their game having a Orange Lantern in striking distance and pushing back in a discussion?

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Add a . at the end.

'if someone'

'has quite'

This was what Raul named the group those bounty hunters belonged to?

Holy crap.

Paul’s crazy is mostly unintentional, so if he actually tries something crazy...

I can't even think about it.

I remember this Indigo SI fic in which the author was planning for his SI to merge with the Proselyte and go all Sun Eater on the Reach sun.

'not much'

Ahh, so basically something like the UN post WWII.

'continues'

Maybe add 'worlds'

Wouldn't be a mission if it didn't.

10. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I can point out why? or I'm pointing out why?

11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

"Of course I will meet the Negotiator. I always look forward to flinging poo around"

"What?"

"Oh a common saying. My species evolved from monkeys, you know"

"...perhaps a...tele-conference?"

12. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I think this should be in orange.

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

The hardest part of them being part of the alliance is getting them to fight in the right place, or hold off fighting until the right time? Though to be fair, any war-like race is going to learn to appreciate strategy pretty damn quick...

Because those are the metrics that concern them more...

I expect that piracy and privateers are a big concern for them. Not surprising.

And any missing ship is going to be investigated fairly in-depth, because of the war. Bad time to be a pirate right now, I bet.

Evidently not. That would likely be taken as an act of war by some belligerents...

Bet mercenaries... Sorry, 'Private Security Contractors'... Are making quite the killing on the peripheries of both groups territory...

Heh. Sure, you may want to be neutral... But that kind of depends on others recognising that neutrality.

Quite the incentive. It always comes down to the bottom line, doesn't it?

Not if OL has any say in the matter.

Optimistic. After all, as he says, that's assuming the Reach (and by extension, N.E.M.O.) don't go pulling out their crazy stuff. And if they're feeling pressed, that will almost certainly happen.

Boy, taking the long view, eh, OL? Not surprising, really, given life-extension technology available.

Hopefully not by pulling out a Sun Eater or two. That might not go down well with the allied systems...

Only if they insist on it, i suspect...

Starting to worry what'll happen if N.E.M.O. decide someone's not being neutral enough, eh?

No, no, this is not going to be the sort of argument you can just negotiate your way out of...

That implies they see their future client races as equals, after all. And it's only a matter of offering terms they'll agree to. One way.. or another.

Certainly confident. A pity they'll be disappointed.

I wonder if she even grasps the scale involved here? Or the nature of the Reach's outlook on everything outside their space.

Give the Reach more rope to hang themselves, eh? Hoping they do or say something foolish? At worst, OL gets to snark at the Reach Negotiator for a while until they get upset and storm out. At best? Said Negotiator does something stupid...

"Honestly, I set my status to 'busy'. This is clearly important."

And things are about to go ploin-shaped, aren't they?

The lady really seems to believe she can broker peace between N.E.M.O. and the Reach, doesn't she? Unfortunately for her, this is already, much like World War I, rolling along much too quickly. But that'll have to wait until Drusa's situation gets resolved, won't it? Maybe the Reach have already grabbed the Conflict Ball and are dribbling along for a slam-dunk...

"Both of the previous instances...

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  14. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

Maybe "I'm pointing out why"?

Whiteeyes and moralrelativity like this.
  15. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Greedporting is unblockable yes? That being the case, if OL really wanted to be a bastard he could pop deep into Reach space where their people feel totally secure and slap bombs on supplies of luxury goods. If wealthy citizens start getting their space-caviar blown up, it's really gonna take the wind outta their sails.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Assuming they already don't.

Just because they are warlike doesn't mean that they don't embrace strategy.

Like Davos said in a history and lore video.

"Wars aren't as good for smugglers as you might think"

He does has a ring.

If the guys on their side hate the other side enough then they may find it acceptable.

17. DbDRAKE

DbDRAKE Possibly some sort of Actual Dragon?

I really like the extent to which OL will humor people.

It's like, If you got UNLIMITED POWER, you wouldn't suddenly become a raging asshole for no reason.

If anything, it would become easyer to express you preferences vis giving other people charity and time, because it would cost you less / nothing.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, those are correct.
    Yes.
    Rings can do simply auditory messages as well.
    Thank you, corrected.

19. Lothlo

Lothlo Not too sore, are you?

Just teleport to their homeplanet and carve in their homeworld moon, or a planet's surface on their home system a big Orange Lantern Symbol. I think it is a strong message that they are not safe.

20. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wait, who other than the citadelians did Paul genocide? I know he helped kill all the eye priests, and a lot of the Sheeda, but what other genocide?

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Psions.

He mentioned clone species and the Psions are that in this story.

Granted while he did participate in that genocide he just helped rescue some people.

22. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

they weren’t a clone species though and they were already dead when he got there.

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Unblockable? No, OL is by no means assuming that. We've seen on NEMO's side that they were able to mess with it in a positive way by allowing OL to carry a fleet along with him, so it's probably possible to mess with it in a negative way as well.

As I recall, the SI is of the opinion that the Reach will inevitably figure out some kind of defense sooner or later, and that's one reason he hasn't been pulling the kind of thing you suggest. More uses give the Reach more chances to experiment in detecting and stopping it. Better to not to advance their education unless strategically necessary.

Whiteeyes, quietwhile and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They were vat grown though, and indoctrinated extensively, so I guess it's just semantics.

And I think a few were still alive, but died quickly.

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, for some reason, both of these links are linked to part 10.

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, fixed.

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

This part is now in the 2010 folder.

28. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

NEMO wasn't messing with the greedport itself. They were shielding the passengers from the negative effects of passing through the honden.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Okay, should be fixed now.

30. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

My intuition is telling me that this should be "The Reach don't have" in British English? But I'm not the native speaker here so I leave it up to you.

"for then", because "for them" would mean they've scheduled it for during the ten years instead of after.