1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

as I said before you don’t just ignore them, but Paul is not the only orange lantern in existence nor the only one who can track down a single cargo ship. Outside of greediport tracking please tell me exactly which of his skills they need to bring down the free lancers, especially when he has fleets to fight in a war where he is now the only lantern who can engage said fleets without fear of dealing with anti construct guns due to greediporting

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  2. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Would anyone happen to know where that "Die for Sunset Shimmer" image is? I thought that I'd saved the URL somewhere, but I very clearly didn't and I'm rather fond of the image.

NightmareWarden likes this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I already told you what skills he has in my previous posts, you just didn't seem to read them.

Paul is perhaps the most skilled and experienced power ring user the OLC has, and he also has a plethora of powers that ordinary Lanterns don't have.

Due to his experience and power the Free Lancers would most likely be more easily defeated than if they were faced with an ordinary Lantern, thus ensuring they are captured and the Reach lose a resource for anti-Lantern weaponry.

Also because he has several unique abilities they may not be able to defend themselves against him compared to a regular Lantern whose abilities they may be aware of and can thus create defences against.

He also has experience with weird tech and can thus adapt to any unusual tech the Free Lancers may have at their disposal, while an ordinary Lantern may not have so much experience with unusual tech and can potentially be defeated.

And as I mentioned previously tracking down the Free Lancers would probably take him a few days at most.

The Reach will probably need more than a few days to equip enough of their ships with the construct draining weapons in order to be a threat to the OLC, so Paul has time.

And if the Free Lancers go free then they're free to sell more weapons to the Reach, thus making the war all the harder for the OLC.

Ngamer11 and jonasquinn like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Could you describe it?

5. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

This tactical discussion is making me think about what sort of ships would actually be a complete counter to lanterns.

I'm thinking: something like these anti-construct guns, or another anti-construct system. Used as flak, and mounted on swarms of fighter craft to help compensate for any range and dodging issues.
    Coupled with the sorts of weapon systems it's been mentioned that the Reach used in the last war, wide area psychic or exotic weapons that kill or distract everything within a volume of space, possibly also appropriate-colored lasers.

The issue with fighting Orange lanterns this way is that unlike the green lanterns, they can easily make complex telepathic shielding or exotic-physics neutralizing constructs(also I think they're trained to keep stuff to block lasers in their subspace pockets). So to credibly try to use the normal anti-Lantern weapons against them someone essentially needs anti-construct weapons.

And then there's the issue that anti-construct weapons(other than crumblers), and area-effect weapons are likely to be poorly optomized against other warships.
    But I suppose you could just have one power system that's capable of either powering the anti-ship or the anti-Lantern loadout, and just accept that this ship will be extra big to mount both loadouts. Or do what scarabs do, with the transforming between different weapon loadouts as necessary, but on a ship-scale.

Edit: also the appearances of anti-Lantern weapons in this story are starting to make me wonder whether a technological anti-wizard/anti-magic weapon exists somewhere.
    There's already a magic-based version in spell-eaters, and an orange light version in converting the magic energy to orange light and feeding on it. I assume Qwa-matter would tend to destroy any magical shield or spell it can contact and might potentially destroy the souls of hostile resurrecting wizards.
    But all of those are literally magic, or technology that's essentially magic, none of it's anything that could be produced on an assembly line or as a temporary construct by using a ring.
    Makes me wonder whether the Reach or Controllers have any reasonably-low-tech counters to magic.
    The odds are probably better looking at the Reach, because the controllers would use something glow-related to produce the effect they wanted which it might not be casually easy to counter with a ring, and the Reach have surely had to conquer thaumically active worlds with rebellious reincarnating wizards or adjacent magical planes before.
    Maybe it'll become relevant if OL's research projects ever figure out how exactly dreams can produce spaceborn magic.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

It was Sunset in her demon looking form giving a slightly altered version of one of Darksied's speeches, the one with him saying he would "crush you with three billion hands" and all that.

Edit:I remember that it was a series of images rather than just one, and I think it was in the first chapter of the Renegade episode that he first went to Equestria in, but other than that I've got nothing more to go on.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  7. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I was moving house. Sorry. Here you go.

glares

"flak", and possibly additional instances ("flack" is an unrelated word referring to publicity or publicity agents)

I can't figure out what "luck effectives" is supposed to mean. Best I can guess is that you meant "lucky" and "effectives" is jargon/slang for "ships that remain effective".

juluuni

While this is true, dodging would require superluminal detection capability -- which is to say, exotic active scans, because passive scans are also lightspeed (at best) and non-exotic active scans are half lightspeed at best. (Unless the turret telegraphs its shots enough that you know where to dodge before the shot actually fires, but by the rest of the descriptions that's not likely the case.)

No, you're not boring at all. You're slicing ships apart, not drilling holes through them.

I wrote a story about this...

8. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Does anyone remember what chapter John Constantine climbed the mountain and met Paul? I tried searching the Story Only thread for the earliest version of "Constantine", but couldn't get anything. Similar keywords did nothing to help.

Nevermind.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Xmaster3000 and Prince Charon like this.
  9. Ardy

and as I said in previous post, being adaptive to new tech is not enough to take him off fighting the potential collapse of the war effort and the death of trillions to hunt down a single ship that any OL or NEMO ship could do. He's not the only competent person in the galaxy

10. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Just figure I'd start this list up, since there seems to be some Anti Lantern Arms Race plotting going on.

Feel Free to chip in.

Known Anti Lantern Weapons / Counter

Colour Matched Laser / Reflective Armour
    Magic (Simple Direct Attacks) / Scry Wards + Spell Eater Talisman
    Telepathy / Psi-Baffles and-or Significant Telepathic Defense Training
    Molecular 'Crumbler' Disruption Field / Ablative Construct Shield Layers or Highly Resistant Meta Materials
    Cold Gun / Does not effect Construct shields + properly insulated full body armor
    Rail Gun Rounds (or any other Sub Light Munitions) / Anti Missile Defense Turret (Lasers or other Faster-Then-Light counter fire)
    Estrogina's Construct Disrupting Gold Skin / Non Construct Attacks (Crumblers and x-ionized blades)
    Purple Death Ray / Unknown (DODGE!!!)
    Neural Impactor / Unknown (DODGE!!!)
    Free Lancers Construct Draining Gun / Unknown (DODGE!!!)

Significant Conventional Force Applications (enough to knock out an environmental shield)
    - Kinetic 'Blunt or Sharp Impacts' (includes Sonic Based Attacks) / Kinetic Shield + Body Armor
    - Radiation / Radiation Shield + Body Armor
    - Gravity / Gravity Based Spacial Warp Stabilizer

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And as I said in my previous posts, the Reach may need a not so small amount of time in order to install their new anti-Lantern weaponry in enough ships in order to increase their threat level.

Paul may need just a few days to track them down.

I'm betting the Reach are going to need a lot more than a mere few days to increase their threat level to the point you're implying.

Yeah Paul isn't the only competent person in the galaxy, but his skills (which I have mentioned in previous posts and will not do so here, you can just read what I've already written above) give him a greater chance of succeeding where others may not be able to.

Please read what I've written. Don't become like Vaermina.

They may have some.

Hinon can use magic, although she doesn't like to, so some of them may have created some anti-magic tech.

The Guardians also beat the Empire of Tears, a magic using empire, so they may also have some.

They did conquer a planet where the species was apparently naturally alchemical, but they didn't understand it all that well.

It was mentioned in this story that magically active planets are extremely rare, like one in a thousand, so the Reach may not have encountered any magical planet until the above mentioned one.

There's also the possibility that even if they did conquer a magically active planet that the level of magic present there wasn't significant enough for it to be noticeable.

Not all planets are as magically crazy as Earth.

The natives may also be unaware of magic and have no mystical traditions, or they stopped using them and they faded to myth.

As for reincarnating wizards or magic planes.

It's possible that reincarnation doesn't work for them and they can't come back if they're dead, or they don't know how to.

And for magic planes and even potentially gods.

Well it's possible that the species may not have any gods, either due to not believing in one or the magic energies of the planet not forming one, or the gods in question may not care about the mortals.

Xmaster3000 and Ngamer11 like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'things'

13. Ardy

Jesus, calm down, there’s no need for that kind of language

The Unaligned Player likes this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sorry, got a bit frustrated there, but I'm still sorry that I would call anyone that.

But I'm still sticking to what I said about Paul and the Free Lancers.

The Unaligned Player and Ardy like this.
  15. Threadmarks: Onslaught (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

25th August 2012
    05:39 GMT

This-

I calculate angles and shift to put the Scarab Warrior between me and as many of the primary weapons as possible.

-is-

As his anti-construct weapons target my stabiliser constructs I simply abandon them, his shots flying past me and hitting the hull of the ship.

-going-

Physical barrier and create a railgun behind it, load crumbler rounds.

-to-

The shot from the Scarab Warrior's main gun disintegrates the shield, but the follow up shots from the construct disruptors do nothing to the entirely physical railgun. I charge it with ring power and fire.

-be-

The Scarab Warrior ducks behind his shield, crumbler rounds hitting home and abrading it before-

-interesting.

-the fracture cannons open fire. Space around us turns purple, though I've got no idea if they're missing because they're distracted by their own confused desires or they're trying to aid the Scarab Warrior.

This one's orange, for some reason.

But if they're trying to avoid-.

My half-formed fracture cannon construct is destroyed by the ship's anti-construct guns, which activate for long enough to hit me all over. My armour holds just fine but even my environmental shield is driven back inside it. Keep moving extrude-

Dodge!

-armour plates and then dump Construct Lanterns while vision is blocked and then

step out and

appear on the far side of the ship because as thematically significant as fighting an upgraded Scarab Warrior who can turn off my constructs is, I'm actually here to destroy the fleet and acquire biological samples. And keep moving and

evading, because

without a Scarab Warrior to avoid shooting at the gunnery crew are a little more on the ball. Construct armour-.

And it's gone, and this time from a direct hit rather than a specific anti-construct gun.

Dodge harder and recreate the armour, then… Destructive blast.

The ship's shield shimmers, flak turrets locking onto the beam immediately and extinguishing it. Progress… Shields somewhat degraded-

One of my Construct Lanterns is destroyed and returned to my ring, giving me a sudden image of how well the ambush worked. And it did work, but the Construct Lanterns weren't able to do significant damage before-. And there are the rest. Not sure whether or not it would have worked better if I reinforced them… Or if they'd had stronger avarice when I assimilated them. Hellwraith is still going strong.

-so I fly closer and fire again. Same result: some damage, but the flak deals with it before it does anything too serious.

Ah heck.

Construct crumbler fire at the seven closest flak emplacements destructive pulses!

The flak guns start to track the projectiles and then switch to the pulses once those appear. Which means that they're just slightly out of place and slightly too slow in tracking them. The pulses hit the shields and somewhat disrupt them, the crumblers striking just a-

Another volley of destructive pulses.

-moment later and… Shield's down for a second and the second wave of pulses go in and yes, flak emplacements gone.

That doesn't help with all of the others, but at least I've got a viable strategy now. Destroy the flak, then fly back out of convenient range and use con-.

The space around me explodes in a flare of light and radiation!

I shift position, scanning for the source. Constructs. Workable. And since there's slightly less flak now I fire a destructive blast in the direction that shot came from and briefly see the outline of a Scarab Warrior. A different silhouette from the last one, though that could just be shapeshifting. Empathic vision… Yes, there they are. Focus on the ship.

Destructive blast at the ship. Flak response slower. The shield over this section is back up but goes down again after a moment, allowing me to hit the-. To briefly hit the hull before the Scarab Warrior gives up on invisibility and switches to rapid fire construct disruptors, neatly covering the hole in the-

Where's the other one gone?

-ship's defences but who cares now because they're both on the far side of the fleet so same again. More destructive pulses targeting flak turrets, crumbler barrage and a second volley of pulses and same result, good.

Keep moving. Always

keep

moving, and let the purple-. Ah, they finally actually hit their own ship! Nice to see, even if it doesn't actually help me all that much. Shift position up the hull a little and repeat, because I'm still taking fire from three other ships and there's no way that I could try mustering the power to breach the armour just yet.

Lantern-

Suddenly there's a ship in front of me as space bends and it manages

a full broadside

but I'm out of there immediately because a warship appearing right in front of you isn’t a good sign. Okay, if they've got their heads straight to the point that they can do things like that I've got to consider another empathic attack to re-stun them.

Threllian-

The Scarab Warriors would probably work as a source, but there's no way that will make them stop fighting. I'm.. not too far away from an actual Reach world here, but I'm not super keen to risk their defences until a good deal more intelligence gathering has taken place.

-to-

Still, I can repeat the process here, by-.

-Illustres.

This time the guns completely ignore the destructive pulses and target the crumbler rounds. They're not.. completely effective, but the shield stays up and the flak turrets are undamaged. Darn it.

"Yes?"

Dodge and

move

and try again, no, they're sharing. Okay. This time I fire a volley not of destructive pulses but of small construct crumbler rounds. The guns ignore them for the fraction of a second it takes them to cross the intervening space and their shield is gone and the constructs keep going! Hah!

The other-

There go their turrets and I get some actual hull damage in before I'm forced to move by the fracture cannons.

-fleets are moving.

Darn it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Either they're trying to be symbolic, or it was just a coincidence.

Speaking of Scarabs I can't help but think of Paul actually wielding one in the future.

This may be because there was a new chapter of It's an Unliving last night, and the whole giving the Team Scarabs.

To those of you unaware, that fic is back.

either 'until a good' or 'having taken place'

'shield is gone'

17. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

If Paul is having this much trouble regular lanterns might start getting reassigned to using their rings to make more warships as a better aid to the war effort than fighting directly.

18. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I think normal lanterns will usually have warship support?

Handlewithcare likes this.
  19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Might we be about to see the rarest of the rares? Paragon actually loosing for once?

Cool10007 and zeebza like this.
  20. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Nice to see OL having to work, REALLY work hard to get the upper hand. But part of me still wants him to get a power-up soon that will nullify the construct draining effect.

21. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

He likely will sorta it's the next logical step in Paul's power armor. So he might not use a Scarab, be he is likely to steal every bit of the design worth stealing and add it to what he has.

After all with the Reach throwing construct draining weapons around all over the place Paul is going to have to focus on improvements besides his ring.

22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I'm still fuzzy on the Reach strategy here.

Are these fleets just for PR? Is it another Paul trap? Are they meant to lure in survivors of their various races?

Guess seeing where the fleets will move to might clear some things up.

23. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Do you ever take holidays? Because, apart from four instances that I can remember, you've been posting every single day for years. Or are they pre typed, and posted even on your holiday?

moralrelativity likes this.
  24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Likely not to be too useful, given they can probably redirect the firing point around the blind spot created by the friendly. Still, sticking close to the Scarab will interfere with their ability to target you properly. And they almost certainly know that...

I have the feeling this is going to be a theme for this fight. Duck, dodge and maybe try to fight back.

Good thing you don't have to stand still to make constructs, like a rookie. That sort of mechanics is a pain in MMOs with area attacks.

Ooh, fabricating real weaponry? That's one way to counter the anti-Spectrum weapons. But now you have to deal with things like rail damage and charging times. Yay, balance.

Dang super-tough materials. And going into melee would be damn risky given it's strength and ludicrous range of weapon options.

Why can't it be both? Still, any chance of it getting hit is low...

Heh. Probably a coincidence. I doubt they tailored it specifically for OL, given they couldn't have known he'd be hitting them...

Gah, like a boss with environmental allies. So frustrating.

One upside: the Scarab Warrior is still limited to having to actually traverse the space between him and you. And I doubt he can move faster than light as easily as a lantern...

Yes, that's proving rather difficult, isn't it? I rather think they don't want that, don't they. :p How rude, being all obstructive...

From the primaries? Ouch. At least that gives a good reference for damage. It takes a fair amount to break constructs as strong as his are...

Time for a swarm approach? Can the anti-spectrum guns actually affect more than one thing at a time?

I presume the Hellwraith is running amok aboard ships, trying to damage fire control or helm functions...

There we go. Give them more targets than they can shoot.

The old shotgun approach, eh? The Lantern equivalent of buckshot.

Problem is, there's more than one kind of gun involved...

:mad: Oh, great, they sent multiple Scarabs out here?

Just too many damn things to keep track of, isn't it? Powerful as you are, you're still human, and you're still only capable of thinking so many things at a time...

A slow grind, eh? Thankfully, they can't replace destroyed turrets as fast as you kill them. So it's just a matter of time...

...The problem is getting that time, with so many things trying to kill you.

Oh, and now he's got an incoming call too? Hoo-bloody-ray...

Oh, yeah, the ships can make short-hop teleports too, can't they? Gah, like dodging mobile land mines. That shoot at you.

And given that most of their desires probably align with the fleet's there's not going to be much oomph involved.

That's if you get time to break off. Yes, I know, Greediporting is instant, but as soon as he disappears, the fleet will be making repairs. Assuming they don't already have damage control teams in place...

Need more pellets. Too many for them to get them all.

There you go. Volume, not quality.

...Well, shit. Looks like they decided to use 'summon bigger fish'. Multiple times over.

Time to leave? Hopefully without leaving a smoking corpse?

Hoo boy. This is one hell of a 'rock and a hard place' situation. Or maybe more like Scylla and Charybdis. At least OL has a lot more options than Odysseus had in that situation. It's just going to be a matter of how quickly he can run through them to find something that works... And that's assuming he has time before their backup arrives, which I assume the other fleets are moving for. Looks like this attempt is a failure.

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, exactly what and how many Construct-Lanterns do Paul and the Renegade have at their disposal? Cause unless Paul went to those other fleets and immediately assimilated their near brain dead crews, he shouldn't have that many. Related to this, how many other Orange Lanterns have Construct-Lanterns in either timeline? I only remember Komand'r having a single Citadelian Construct-Lantern.

26. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

If it is, it's because Dox (and by extension Zoat) has no idea what the fuck they are doing.

"Yes, the enemy is gathering forces to attack" "Let them... then we can fight them."
    "What if we just destroy them piecemeal as they gather, thus dealing maximum damage and reducing loses"
    "That doesn't make a good story."

That's literally what is happening right now.

At this point I want the reach to win, because they arn't a bunch of children fucking around.

27. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

I'm kind of interested how the reach would have dated against the time traveling race harvesters

28. Mr Zoat

No, that's correct. Mkaing him leader is one thing.
    BACK TO WORK, SLAVE EDITOR!
    Thank you, corrected.
    Yes, power rings have instant detection.
    No, you're not boring at all. You're slicing ships apart, not drilling holes through them.[/QUOTE]
    Dohohoho!
    Thank you, corrected.

29. Mr Zoat

I generally write two segments Saturday and Sunday, and one on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. So, Tuesday and Thursday I guess.
    I don't have a particular number in mind. I assume the SI has about five or six. The Renegade has Ra's and Savage.

30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I remember him also assimilating Brain and Klarion. Also, is Nabu still a construct that teaches Zatara?

Ardy and moralrelativity like this.