1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Don't forget that he's a deadbeat dad to Princess

Cuchulin, JoTa34 and Darko like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, that's correct.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.
    That's not why.
    Thank you, corrected.

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Not an uncommon occurrence with our dear SI, whatever the world. I wonder what it is this time? Someone assuming he's as provincial as the Reikslander humans, or leaping to the conclusion that he's some manner of mage from a far-distant land (Though, to be fair, Far Cathay and Nippon are basically unknown to the Old World at large by virtue of being on the other side of the planet...)

Heh. Something of a 'well, you didn't utterly screw the Hellhound on that job. Try this, then.' I'll bet.

And yes, that is a thing in the Old World. Most of the races are slowly dying out, with the more antagonistic races only breaking even by being prodigious breeders.

Yes, I rather suppose if you had succeeded, you wouldn't be here, after all. So can we lose the attitude...

Honestly, if it turns out they simply haven't understood the whole 'birds and the bees' talk... :p

Well, thank goodness for that. Now, as to the matter of the males involved...

On that aspect: Imagine sawbones, barbers, quacks and bloodletters (Not the daemons, mind!) Reiklander medical science is... not well advanced. Bretonnia is even less advanced, even amongst the sorceresses, I suspect.

Hmm... I have to wonder just how much more advanced their medical studies are. Elves are.. not known for innovation and outside-the-box thinking.

Oh, there is. Let him get started and he'll go on for hours...

And just that 'this planet' should be giving them some pause. Oh, certainly, they might assume it's hyperbole, but...

For reference, the Old Ones created (or basically uplifted) several races of the Old World, Elves amongst them. They were basically Maltusians with a more magical focus.

To be fair, most non-humans would probably find English a horrifying hodge-podge of grammars, vocabularies and phenomes from around the world... I suspect most Maltusians would expect to lose intelligence learning it. :V

Which should be very interesting to them, given the similarity and differences involved. The joy of the original Warhammer developers basing their world map off our own.

Hmm... Accepting that maybe the Mon-Keigh may have some possibility of knowing what he's talking about? How remarkable for an Elf!

Probably the first time the ladies have seen a body in that state, I wouldn't wonder.

Which he can probably manage, because Elves do like their record-keeping. Not nearly so much as the Dwarves, with their books of Grudges, but still. I'm guessing he hasn't simply scanned all of Ulthuan because of the sheer pervasiveness of the Winds of Magic...

You know, I would not be surprised to learn the Elven physicians don't have anything like the Hippocratic oath...

To be fair, things in Bretonnia are... Odd in all fields anyway.

...On the one banging humans: Ew. Because, and this is a doozy, most Elves regard humans as little more than animals with pretensions of intelligence. You can imagine the reaction to hearing that someone's doing that with humans...

...That is a very odd detail. There must be something going on with soul-stuff, then.

That's probably more than most of Ulthuan is managing. Collectively.

Given that this is the grim-dark Warhammer World, yes, that is impressive.With all the bad shit around, most races only barely break even by having lots of offspring. Never mind the Greenskins...

Probably realising that yes, that may have played some part in it. I take it she's been loving and leaving them when the relationship proves not to be... Fruitful.

Well, when a Daddy dwarf and a Mommy dwarf... ;) Yes, they do exist, none of the 'I thought they hatched from rocks' jokes, please...

I rather suspect the objection wasn't the physical aspect, but the social: Daughters mean Dowries.

Well, that's one down.

o_O ...I'm sorry, this is Warhammer. There's nothing in existence without skulls on. Nothing. They're like mushrooms, just spontaneously growing everywhere. :p

Not the kind of problem I'd have envisioned Warhammer Paul (...do we have a nickname for him yet?) to be looking into. I mean, it's logical enough. Preventing the slow decline of potential allies into extinction is always a helpful idea. Perhaps next, he can approach the Slann with offers of rejuvenation? Imagine those bloated old toads in young, vital bodies, throwing around the kind of spell Lord Kroak or Lord Mazdamundi can manage... :eek:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Paul told Karras that English makes people less intelligent.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  5. Lone Courier 6

Lone Courier 6 Wanderer of threads

Remind me how Warhammer Fantasy Paul is recharging his ring and how it’s totally not related to Slaanesh?

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's essentially drawing on the magic in the environment, or something like that.

And maybe the ring can bypass any Slaanesh related shenanigans.

7. Mr Zoat

As far as I remember, elves are local. The Old Ones spent a lot of time educating them but they didn't create them.
    It has been proven experimentally that humans lose intelligence learning it.
    It's in Bretonnia, so they probably think it's Wood Elves anyway, and it's a step up from fucking trees like they normally do.
    Not exactly. Because fertility and virility are so low, elven culture has developed in such a way that promiscuity is far more accepted because there's basically no chance of having a child as a result.
    If I remember correctly, dwarfs practice polygamy; several men married to the same woman. Their concern is really more about the idea of a crazy magic human messing around with their scrotums.

8. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

So WHF!Paul's girlfriend is the only elf he's not trying to get pregnant?

9. Mr Zoat

So far as I remember, the Warhammer setting doesn't have hybrids. Half-elves aren't a thing, so there's no way he could get her pregnant with his child.

Cuchulin, DAT_NOOB, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  10. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Nomming the Winds themselves, if I remember right. Orange rings are the true omnivores.
    That's because of a lack of intercourse, rather than a lack of results from it.

Otto von Saurion, BBJimmy and JoTa34 like this.
  11. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

And they are right, I mean we know that Paul is competent. But if a random human wizard visit and says he wants to do magic spells on your scrotum you should probably kill said human. It's just common sense.

12. Mr Zoat

I could accept that no elf has ever wanted to have sex with a human, but I strongly doubt that humans feel the same way and slavery is very much a thing in the setting.

13. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Indeed, slavery is a thing in the setting. Enslaved dark elves provided Nagash the foundational knowledge of dark magic that drove his innovation of necromancy.

And then he killed them all.

Slavery might be a thing, but slave longevity most emphatically is not, to the point that I'd be surprised if neither the dark elves nor the skaven had come up with pit-farming greenskins for meat.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Zoat can't see this, but he is in fact wrong.

A Half Elf showed up in the 2001 novel Gilead's Blood, and Half Orc's are similarly a thing.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  15. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

That sounds like a limitation for people without a Power Ring. Of course, for that to work, he'd actually have to want a kid with her. Which he may not, for all the audience knows.

Any chance if learning the result of that, or is it Spoilers for future updates?

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

When Paragon was talking to Jade about kids he said he was indifferent to it, so this Paul may also not care if he has children or not.

There's also his partner to consider and whether or not she wants to have children.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  17. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not if it's a version of WF in-line with modern lore that this Paul is in.

Any half-breeds have been retconned out of existence by making the genetics of the species of The Old World too alien to interbreed. And Orkz are basically just their 40k counterparts now, so they wouldn't even have genitalia to interbreed with.

Hell, the same thing's basically happened in 40k too. There used to be an Astartes that was half-Eldar, but that's not canon anymore last I saw.

18. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

what are the odds that the druichi and the asur immediately start attacking each other?

Prince Charon and Assblaster5000 like this.
  19. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Not according to the wiki. Dragon ogres and dragons predated the Old Ones but elves were made by the Old Ones.

Cuchulin and WereDragon like this.
  20. Assblaster5000

Sucker's bet.

No way that someone doesn't at least pull out a weapon.

Prince Charon and transhumansage like this.
  21. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

Here for example is an illustration of someone who suddenly found himself isekai'd into Warhammer.

22. Mr Zoat

He'd have to have some way to integrate the genetics of two incompatible species. Which he doesn't.
    The only thing that was firmly agreed right away was mutual territorial recognition, which was easy as The Empire and Nehekhara don't share a border. A future meeting was scheduled where other issues will be agreed, and the groundwork for that agreement was laid during the SI's meeting. In theory, Lybaras can now sue in Imperial courts if anyone from the Empire tries stealing from anyone in Nehekhara, but that's unlikely to come up.

The Light College are drooling.
    That was Rogue Trader, where models had a stat saying how cool they were.
    Here's another.

23. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

I was going to scoff at the idea that the Maltusian database on the Ring would struggle with some low tier genetic meddling, but then remembered the SI didn't have a database at first, until the Mind-control starfish incident when he mugged a Greeny and coped his.

I'm still willing to bet the Maltusian clarktech and Orange Light could pave over such trivialities as "conventional physics" and "genetic compatibility", but he'd need to really want that for it to work. And if the SI is ambivalent on the subject of kids under near-ideal conditions with someone he loves, I doubt this version of him would have a strong desire for them in the Warhammer world, with his only-not-chaotic-evil-because-she's-mind-controlled elf girlfriend.

24. Assblaster5000

I could have sworn I'd heard he was in a novel or two, but that... doesn't really say all that much in Warhammer does it?

Prince Charon likes this.
  25. Mr Zoat

I'm reasonably confident that wasn't the case. At the start of the Rogue Trader era, space marines were conceptually very different to what they were at the end of it. And there weren't a lot of books released at the time.
    [​IMG]

26. Assblaster5000

If I knew what was going on in that image it would probably prove a point. Sadly, most, if not all, of my 40k knowledge is based purely in lore, so I've got no clue what that image is meant to convey.

Edit:I am admittedly quite stupid at times, and my knowledge of the fluff is hardly absolute, so it's entirely possible that what it's meant to convey is a matter of pure lore and I just don't have the context to get that.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

At a guess, he's poking fun at the changing character of the setting over the years. Early Space Marines were basically just that: Marines in spaaaaace, with 'chapter' names just as flavour. Ordinary men in powered combat armour, with often-silly 'Hollywood war movie' personalities.

These days, Space Wolves are written as space Vikings who are all 'Wolf' this or 'Fang' that. They wouldn't be caught dead with squads named 'Howlers', 'Snarlers' or 'Tearers'. You also wouldn't get three captains in a single army like that (They'd be 'lieutenants' these days, under a Captain.)

Even the stats and equipment are very different, whether in the amount of armour worn, weapons carried or the very names. For instance: no 'Jet Cycles' or 'digital weapons' (alien-made ring-shaped guns.) 'Navigator' isn't a rank (It's a mutation that lets humans navigate the Warp, and thus not likely to become a space marine.) The marine troopers would have higher toughness and wounds, while the Intelligence, Cool and Willpower stats there no longer exist in the main game.

To sum up: Early Warhammer 40,000 lore is bat-shit crazy, and they were making it up as they went as a fun RPG-lite skirmish game. These days, the lore is locked down tight and the rules are made to sell models. :confused: Not sure if that helps, but...

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though it's mostly just wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf and wolf.

And Leman Russ used to look like Darth Vader's ugly cousin.

29. Assblaster5000

It does actually, and it makes a decent amount of sense, so thanks.

30. Mr Zoat

Rogue Trader was kind of Early Access 40K.
    That's been retconned a few times. Remember, Warhammer came out first. They can't have been related to species that didn't exist yet.
    Fairly low. There aren't any biological differences between High Elves from Nagarythe and Dark Elves. If they're not dressed like Dark Elves it's not going to be immediately obvious that's what they are.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021