1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

11th September 2012
    14:37 GMT

"And these-."

"Hades elder brother of Zeus Hades?"

"Yes. And you are not the titan Coeus. Where did you come from?"

"Ah." He takes a moment to regain his mental equilibrium, Phoebe lightly touching his left arm with the tips of the fingers of her right hand. "No, as I said, I'm a god. My mother named me for her late brother. He was slain by your father, as I recall."

"The titans were mighty. Extremely hard to kill. My father does not often talk about it, but from what I remember of his stories Coeus was a team effort."

"A team-. Do not speak so lightly of my uncle's death!"

His metaphysique is protected, but with the Ophidian's help I can get a rough feeling for him. That outburst was more due to shock than rage, but more importantly I get a feel for his complexity. He's… Young. The titans were defeated… What, seven thousand years ago? He's nothing like that old. He might even be younger than me-. My actual age, rather than my official age.

"Melinoë, that isn't helpful. Please-."

"Do not assume that my goals are the same as yours."

"I'm not assuming that, but I am assuming that your reduced strength in the material universe means that I could -for example- stick you in the corner of the room with a construct gag on."

Coeus appears baffled, but Phoebe is starting to smile. Melinoë is giving me her full attention, her face a picture of indignation.

I step in front of her, blocking Coeus's view of her and hers of him.

"Sorry about that. I didn't get much notice and she was the first available Olympian."

"I-." He shakes his head. "Fine. We-. I wasn't expecting you to bring an Olympian."

"I was told to bring a staff, and that you were from Earth. I don't even know why you wanted to talk to an ambassador."

Phoebe leans into her husband. "Then perhaps it would help if we explained that. And.. where it is that we come from."

"I'll take anything."

"Then, please, be seated."

Coeus doesn't look entirely certain, but responds to her gentle tug on his arm to sit down on a nearby bench. I take a seat opposite, leaving Melinoë to choose between either joining me or joining Aporia. She chooses me. Right.. next to me, and

an image of the walls around me trapping me squeezing me crushing me

and that would be deeply unpleasant if I wasn't resistant to magic, enlightened and training to deal with it.

I hold out my right hand and cause my personal lantern to manifest.

"My authorisation."

Coeus nods. "Your ring would suffice, but we acknowledge it. You are the Illustres, second in power?"

"I'm the second in authority. Even without the Ophidian's aid, I'm probably the most powerful."

He nods. "Yes, there's more to authority than power. A lesson our mother took great pains to teach us."

"Your mother?"

"The titan Rhea."

Zeus's mother, who… Yes, I don't think there was any record of what happened to her. I cautiously glance at Melinoë to see if she wants to volunteer anything.

"She was banished to the Dream. I had assumed that she was content to dwell there."

"A lie."

"Husband."

Coeus and Phoebe make momentary eye contact with one another. Coeus inclines his head slightly.

"An incomplete truth. Yes, Rhea was banished to the Dream, but she broke her banishment and fled from the Earth. We are her heirs."

"And where is she now? I would be curious to meet my grandmother."

He bows his head.

"Dead. As I am sure that you know, being anchored to the material universe weakens us immensely."

I frown. It's more than that; a titan is far more primal than a god. They shouldn't be able to exist outside of their medium. So… Yes, ganking an avatar and harming or killing the god by doing so is perfectly possible, but I doubt that's the full story.

"You have my commiserations."

He watches my face for a moment or two before nodding. "Thank you. But what of you? What are you? You seemed… Human, but I feel something greater within you."

"That's the Ophidian, universal embodiment of avarice. She's a little like a titan, I suppose, but she's bound to just about everyone in the material universe, so… Her manifesting is a little less traumatic, particularly when she does so via someone like me who's so in tune with her." Hm. "Actually, given that my friend Kon-El is on excellent terms with Helios, he might-"

Coeus frowns, his eyes darting to Phoebe for a moment.

"-be able to do something similar." I frown. "I haven't asked."

Phoebe smiles curiously.

"Cousin Helios is still alive?"

I nod. "Yes. I haven't studied the titanomachy in any detail, but my understanding is that the titans who abandoned Cronus and accepted Zeus's supremacy were generally left to their own devices. And can you imagine trusting Apollo with something as important as the sun?"

Melinoë elbows me. I ignore her.

"Heck, if you want there's no particular reason why you can't visit the Earth. Very few people worship the Olympians-. Heh, I think Euanthe the Super-Dryad has more worshippers than Zeus at the moment."

Phoebe nods. "We may do that, some day. But as to why you are here?"

I nod.

"We are aware that the maltusians left some of their weapons here when they departed. We intend to make this world into a paradise, something we cannot do if ordnance left by a race of demigods could activate at any moment, at great cost to our people. We would like to request your aid in disarming or removing as much as possible, and confirming that anything left is completely inaccessible."

I nod again.

"That sounds like something I can help with, and I'd be happy to do so. Who exactly is 'we' in this context?"

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paragon is really really horrible at this whole Diplomacy thing...

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So they're Titan Seeds.

'even be'

Ahh, yeah, you're still hiding that thing, for some reason.

'while ganking'

'ordinance left'

So I'm assuming they're either lying and want the weapons for themselves, or one of the weapons, a Sun Eater, will activate and try to do its thing.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yes. :D I take it you've heard of him, then? And that makes it clearer that this really isn't the Coeus who fought in the Titanomachy, because that elder's rage would have been apocalyptic... So, then, who are you really?

Ah, yes, that makes much more sense. A boy raised on stories of how his parents were overthrown by their offspring, but not having lived it so any rage was second-hand at best. But that raises another question...

Oh, she isn't. Indeed, you should take that as recognition that he was mighty, that it took multiple God to bring him down.

A mere thirty years? That seems very recent. Or is there a measure of relativistic differential going on. As in, they develop slower than a human would and the lad is a couple of thousand years old... Which gives me shudders at the thought of a God spending decades as a toddler.

Sure, that's fine. But if you act at loggerheads with those goals, OL will treat you as an obstacle...

Ooh, it's a good thing they aren't dating. That'd leave him sleeping in the doghouse...

...Who wasn't busy. Well, she was in when you called. Though given the alternatives, I'm not sure any of the Olympians he's friendly with would have been any better.

Yes, that is a thing. Can we please get back on topic for this meeting, folks.

Heh, at this point, any kind of expository lecture would be better than the childish bickering... :p

Yes, the last thing you want is getting the attention of the Kindly Ones by breaking Hospitality in anger.

YEah, Fear doesn't do much to someone so soaked in Avarice.

...Seriously, how little did you know about him coming in? OR did you just send a messenger to Maltus saying 'Hey, we found some of your stuff, please come and get it before something goes bad?'

I'm guessing you simply forgot that in the heat of the moment...

Rhea in Comics and Mythology, for the record. The interesting thing is who is his father, then?

Of course, that was a foolish assumption to make. It appears she tired of it...

I see he has definite anger issues... Not the best thing for a diplomatic meeting... Which makes me wonder if the others are better or worse.

And I believe her when she says it. Even with her.. annoyance.. at OL and Coeus, I fully expect she would enjoy meeting a long-lost family member...

:confused: ...Well. That sucks. :(

Ah, you don't think he's being entirely truthful either, do you? I wonder if Rhea found her second band of children (assuming the other Titans here are her offspring as well) as rebellious as her first.

I wouldn't go annoying her by trying anything underhanded, though. She's more likely to eat you.

Well, I don't doubt Helios was impressed with his courage, if nothing else.

:eek: Why, I heard he sleeps in pig-pens after his drunken revels! Other survivors of the Titanomachy include Themis (Seen amongst the Titans of Myth in the comics,) Prometheus (Presented as a human in some comics) and Atlas (Who serves as one of the Marvel family's backers.)

Including many of the Brazlilian peoples, I bet.

Hopefully not anytime soon, for that visit, I hope... But yes, down to business...

And I picked it right. They found the maltusian factory and want the original owners to clean up after themselves, eh?

Since I doubt it's just you two. Two gods don't make a Pantheon, after all...

And there we have the reason for the call. No doubt the junior Titans aren't happy about the world they picked for a new home turning out to be some elder race's old weapons factory-slash-locker-slash-launch facility. On the upside, at least the Controllers aren't telling them to pack up and leave... Yet. Hopefully OL can prevent trouble from either side.

5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Can't forget their people seemed rather frightened.

And a god younger than Paul? Yet undisputed ruler?

Add Maltusian super weapons into the mix...yikes

Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  6. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

"An incomplete truth"? Since it seems more of a begrudging revision to his statement that an addition to it.
    Well... someone's a little peeved at the thought/threat of being put in time-out.

7. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

Paul is terrible at it, like absolutely terrible. Gravy is frighteningly good when he's looking for a desired outcome, not just going through the motions for the sake of appearances so he can say "oh dear diplomacy has failed, its slaughtering time"!

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Was recently reading a Marvel story in which the SI, who eventually becomes a god, spends centuries with his children being babies.

Seems to be a thing on Greek mythology.

First Chronus overthrows Ouranos, then Zeus overthrows Chronus, and later Zeus us prophesised to be overthrown by his own kids.

Seems overthrowing a parent is just something that'll always happen to a Greek divinity.

Whiteeyes, Cuchulin, Relyt33 and 2 others like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If Paul is referring to Helios being able to merge with Kon like the Ophidian can with Paul then it should be 'he might be able'.

10. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Aside from the sun-eaters, from the linked material it seems New Chronus is very much into conquest and waging war. Not as a hat, mind, as a lot of the titan seeds seem like lovely people by ancient Greek standards - but that's where they're at. Might need looking into.

I would presume Paul has about zero knowledge regarding lore behind this situation, and the info package didn't include "Donna Troy gets brainwashed into thinking she's Coeuses wife". So the readers have something of a lore advantage. Then again, this is YJ version so, who knows.

Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It could be some random human or random alien.

Though there could also not be a father.

Diana was made using magical means in this story, so maybe Rhea also made them like that.

12. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

I know what I am saying is wrong on every level there is in existence, and there is a 100% chance that I will be wrong, but how hilarious would it be for Zeus to be the father of the new-titans and not know it because for him it was a random fling ?

Whiteeyes, Cuchulin, Relyt33 and 3 others like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm now imagining Rhea coming to him in a different form and having sex with him in order to produce children as some form of revenge.

Whiteeyes, Cuchulin, Relyt33 and 3 others like this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    That's the problem with Donna having a multiple choice background in the comics. I've already picked an origin and the Si has proven it. This means that the other ones didn't happen.

15. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

The new Titans seem reasonable and asking for something that will genuinely help their worshipers makes them seem like nice gods, but will they stay this way or go the route of most other greek gods.

16. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

"Ordnance" was the correct term. Ordnance is "military supplies including weapons, ammunition, combat vehicles, and maintenance tools and equipment," whereas an ordinance is a law or decree.

17. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

Easiest way to remember is to remember that an ordinance is something that a government has ordained its subjects follow, and the spelling is basically a corruption of "ordainance," i.e., something that someone has ordained.

Sadly, I don't have a snappy way to remember about ordnance, other than it's not a law or other pronouncement of the ruling authority...

Whiteeyes likes this.
  18. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Taking it at face value, being willing to ask for the help of another race of god-like beings to aid their goals and safeguard their subjects make me like them a fair bit more then most stories from mythology.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, uncorrected.

20. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ The Giver of warm hugs

The OG race. Doing crazy hare-brained irresponsible shit.
    Waaaaaaaaaaaay before Humans.
    Their motto: This cannot possibly go wrong

See: Fallout: New Cronus

Hmmm...
    Sungate, Helios namedropped.
    wasnt there something about there 'not' being suneaters.

Too many sun related things.

Helios, take your phone off the hook man,
    cause I cant see this ending well. Just get in your chariot and just fly away now

Because this
    Is sending shivers up my spine

Vorian likes this.
  21. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Is the whole "no longer thinking like a human" thing.

Vorian and Whiteeyes like this.
  22. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Just remember that Paul's still a disciple of Eris, diplomacy is a great place for some chaos and discord....in the name of progress of course.

PS: Remember he's inherently chaotic enough to throw off Dr Fate II's order based teleport. It's not just something he does, it's something he IS.

23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Unfortunately, ordnance is derived from ordinance, being equipment that soldiers were commanded to have, and the "i" just got dropped at some point in the 14th century. So there's not much help for resolving the confusion...

But if you want a mnemonic trick... A gun can put your i out.

24. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

Do... do mnemonic tricks even work half as well as people hype them up to? Trying to remember the mnemonic always gets in the way of trying to remember what the mnemonic is supposed to help you remember, for me.

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

They work. Your struggle suggests you're misusing them. The mnemonic trick isn't supposed to make it work for free. It's meant to be something that's easier to memorize than the thing it's helping you with by tying into other knowledge that you've already established (particularly your innate language skills and your intuitive understanding of how sentences flow). You still have to try to memorize it.

For example, "every good boy does fine" is easier to memorize than "EGBDF" for the lines of the treble staff -- not because you're automatically going to remember the phrase, but because you know that the English language puts adjectives before nouns, subjects before verbs, and objects after verbs, and you have an intuitive understanding of the notion that being good helps you do well. So you're not memorizing arbitrary letters; you're memorizing an idea that fits more naturally into the way your brain processes data.

Another example: "dot right, not left" summarizes the rule for counting significant figures -- if there's a decimal point, then zeroes on the right side of the number count; if there's not, zeroes on the left side of the number count. This one works because if you make a mistake and remember "dot left" then it tells you that it's "not right".

26. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

Ah, to be clear, it's not a lack of effort memorizing the trick, but rather, it's a heck of a lot easier for me to simply remember stuff without overly complicating things by involving mnemonic tricks. They tend to be rather long. Why would I bother memorizing two things, if i can just memorize one instead?

mastermenthe and Whiteeyes like this.
  27. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

11th September 2012
    14:46 GMT

"Delighted to meet you, cousin!"

The actually gold-skinned man Coeus introduced as Hyperion brushes past me to take Melinoë's hands in his own and kiss them. And it's not just his skin that's golden and mildly reflective. No, his clothes and… What I assume is meant to be armour -or at least super sized jewellery that looks a little like armour- is also gold, and his goes from bright gold at the front to red-gold at the back. His sister-wife Theia is dressed in a similar manner, adding a gold… Helmet? Head dress? To the mix.

No children, I note. No Helios-alt here to contract with the one back on Earth.

Theia doesn't look-. No, it's not that she's annoyed at her husband behaving in such a familiar way with another woman. She's looking suspiciously at all of us.

"Uncle."

"Oh, come now! We're a generation removed from our forebears." He offers her his goblet, and apparently misses the fact that her father is her mother's uncle. "May I offer you a drink?"

"Thank you, no."

"My lord Hyperion, my lady Theia."

"Human." Theia doesn't seem to like me any better having gotten a closer look at me. "You are the ambassador, and not that greater being within you?"

"You can talk to the Ophidian if you want, but the drawback of wanting everything is that you don't want anything more than anything else. It's unlikely that she'd care about you or your family."

"Still."

I shrug. "As you will."

My Agent?

She just wants to talk to you for a moment.

She believes that she is reduced by speaking to you. I shall teach her better.

As you see fit.

And then the corridors of the Honden surround me as the Ophidian borrows my body in the physical universe. Ooh, this is… Different. The.. locals have structures similar to those of most humanoids, and desires… Yes, those are familiar enough. Those around New Cronus don’t appear to have the burning desire for freedom or restoration that suggests they're harshly oppressed… But then, it's not as if their native rulers were models of liberal democratic rulership. Pre-industrial society can't really work that way; travel and communication technology just doesn't allow it. So if the new rulers are worse then they're not much worse, at least to the people immediately around them.

Which is nice, I suppose.

These gods themselves… Yes, Hyperion wants to spread his 'solar rays' but only with other beings in his weight class. Theia doesn't really care about his behaviour. She cares about their alliance and doesn't think that he'll do anything to undermine.. it…

What's… That? That line of desire feels familiar. What is-.

And I'm back in the room, the assembled children of Rhea looking a little disturbed.

"Problem?"

"No, no." Coeus recovers fastest, taking my arm and leading me towards his red-skinned companions. "Just a little surprising. Don't think anything of it."

"I have no idea what she said to you-."

"This is Lord Iapetus and Lady Themis, gods of the planet."

Iapetus offers me his right arm. "Your snake has great wisdom. I have wanted to take a more active role in shaping Minosyss to the advantage of its citizens, and I believe-"

Themis looks truculent, but holds her peace when he looks at her and gives her the opportunity to chime in.

"-that we have a new accord on the subject."

"I'm glad to hear it. If you can manipulate the magma, there's probably a way to introduce geothermal power. Maybe even industrialise the place eventually."

"Your serpentine companion was of the opinion that the greatest testament to a god's greatness was the strength of their people. I take it that you share that view?"

"I wouldn't have built a Lantern Corps if I didn't."

"There, you see?" He gestures towards a globe displaying the planet below. "Rewarding devotion is no sign of subservience."

"There was a dispute on the subject?"

Iapetus nods, though the globe retains the majority of his attention.

"We discussed using the planet's resources to cow the people into greater displays of devotion. I was never in favour of it, but… It makes a certain degree of sense. It's far easier to see a disaster caused than a disaster prevented."

"Oh, that's painfully true. But exactly how-?"

"And over here-" Coeus pulls me away from the terraphiles as they redirect a major river. "-are Oceanus and Tethys."

A strange contrast in substances. Both have aquatic tails, though I can't tell whether they're supposed to be fish or dolphin. The flesh of their upper torsos is translucent blue, almost water-like, while the 'hair' on her head and the 'hair' of his tremendous beard both appear to be made of anemone tendrils. They're laying on benches by a pool.

I nod to Oceanus.

"I briefly met your predecessor. He very nearly killed me."

His beard straightens in shock.

"He lives?"

"He's currently confined, but yes."

"Then perhaps when we are finished here, we shall visit Earth."

"Have you ever visited before?"

Tethys shrugs. "In a sense, we-."

Coeus pulls again, clearly not wanting me to hear the rest of her answer. Though it's not hard to work out what it would be. They either have or haven't. If she's prevaricating, then… It's their home in a spiritual sense? Or part of them came from there? Was Rhea pregnant with them when they left?

"And the last of my brothers and sisters, Lord Crius and Lady Mnemosyne."

Brown hair, with green skin covered in tattoos. He's wearing a toga while she's wearing a cloak which bares her entire 'attribute-free' body.

And if that's the last, then there's no Cronus or Rhea equivalent. Which makes a degree of sense. Also, the pairs don't quite match up with the pairings of the originals. But they're their own people.

Which -given what happened- is probably a very good thing.

"A pleasure."

Mnemosyne nods. "It is always pleasant to meet a mortal who has pushed his mind as far as you have. But we are most eager for you to begin your work, and render the world below safe for our mortal servants."

"Then let's get started."

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It truly says something when the Ophidian of all beings is better at Diplomacy then you...

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahh, Olympian genealogy.

A truly complicated subject.

'when he looks'

'the 'hair' of his'

'not wanting'

30. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

what the fuck are they hiding?