1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Realistic" superpower martial arts?

Discussion in 'General' started by TanaNari, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Nerx

Nerx HOORNGH!

Arguably done right this is one of the most busted abilities available with not much uses on the surface, that makes it a target for underestimation.

Hypnotic patterns or the ability to induce seizures at will can be a huge advantage in a fight, honestly even something simpler while fighting sleeveless or just with boxers lets one fuck up the analytical abilities of their foes. Being unable to properly judge distance or power can lead to one getting tagged multiple times.

Misdirection, and feints are a big thing of the game after all. Take it from a current UFC middleweight champ who trains in a gym with the lightweight champ.

Being able to do it to a degree essentially makes your skin into a tv surface or screen, you can make yourself look more damaged/injured than it actually is to bait the fuck out of them

Deadpanwitch, FTR2017, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  2. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Damn, blasty from the pasty.

Ooh, that's a good point. There's a lot you can do with endurance.

The problem with that is body slams. Grapple-hugs. Be like fighting a grizzly. A real fight with a real grizzly, not a trained stunt animal.

I mean, yeah, if you add more abilities. If you assume absolute control is possible and it doesn't require any thought or concentration, if you assume there's enough body hair and it's dense enough...

But the ability as originally stated doesn't include those sorts of things. :p

3. The-Lewd-Dude

The-Lewd-Dude Experienced.

Wait that a weird thing to say for something that was posted maybe yesterday...
    *looks at post date*
    Oh shit I really didn't even look at that.
    Fair enough. Hontestly supersteghth is kind of one of those powers you cant really come up with interesting counters for since it's basically people +

TanaNari likes this.
  4. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I mean, the one thing I can think of that could work is something that takes away leverage. Super strength doesn't necessarily mean super footing. A grizzly has a great deal of raw power, but they also have broad feet, run on four limbs, and outmass a human two to four times over.

With the boosted muscle power on a man's frame, well, ever try running in sand? You can do it, but damn is it a pain.

Actually, probably more like running on ice. All the power of a v8 engine. All the traction of a pair of sneakers.

A super-strength art probably spends a lot of time on teaching footing and use of environment to overcome that issue.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  5. 2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful

2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful Aris

Aerial Combat? Jumps & Rolls?

Or Ground Game, like Grappling.

Pankration.

FTR2017 and TanaNari like this.
  6. FTR2017

FTR2017 Well worn.

Huh, this is quite the interesting thread--and inspiring, too!

My perspective is this: all martial arts use a baseline human who trains the hell out through years to gain the instincts required to go alongside muscle memory to fully take advantage of their training and physiques.

With superpowered people appearing in true mutant fashion? I figure that martial arts would change little aside from gaining some adepts depending on the classification that TanaNari already posted since tools would be the way to equalize apparently bad matchups.

Superstrength types would focus on their footing and how to make the impact matter more in terms of keeping the energy focused on the target--no sending people flying except upwards to make the most out of the landing impact with the help of that devious bitch called Gravity. Rebounds lessen the energy imposed on the target due to energy transfers onto the hard surfaces. Boxing and Karate seem like a good start for these, with technology to bridge the gap. Aka. A brute with a heavy gun can keep a blaster mutant at bay and even win in the exchange, as the brute would be a two-legged tank needing a different approach into defeating him. Tear gas, poison, narcotics, chemicals would be a good choice in subduing a brute.

In a totally different manner a finger-reliant powered mutant would need to a)bridge the gap as quickly as possible for direct physical contact, or b)use feints and trickery to let his enemy move closer without risking his neck even further. Tai-Chi, non-competitive Karate with a focus on open-palm strikes, Snake-Style Kung-Fu or Tiger-Style which is brutal with its hand strength being able to rip out necks.

A speedster would need to take into account drag and inertia to fully take advantage of his speed, so boxing, kick-boxing, Leopard-Style Kung-Fu, or even Penkat Silat, with perhaps the use of sharp knives due to their reduced drag for lethal applications to slice enemies to ribbons or cut off their tendons, compared to batons which have greater drag but give in return blunt damage which can be massively amplified depending on speed and weight of said baton.

Flyers though? They generate their own footing and would benefit greatly from hit and runs or the use of the environment or tools to do the damage for them, perhaps the use of batons in Savate. Using a trash bin to blind the target, then grab them by the arm and neck and fly--only to imitate the eagle that caught the turtle and letting the target go greet Madame Gravity. For brutes, they'd need tools since they don't have the means to survive close contact with a brute that can squeeze the life out of the flier.

Is this post appropriate to the context of the thread? I'd like a confirmation, just so that if needed I can edit this post to make it fit properly.

Vorian and TanaNari like this.
  7. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

No, it's all pretty much on point.

FTR2017 likes this.
  8. FTR2017

FTR2017 Well worn.

Oh, that is good then!

I'll make this addition to my previous post, since it involves my own perspective regarding mutants with indirect environmental manipulation--remote levitation powerset--like psychics and magicians or area-of-effect powersets, with the dreaded precogs saved for last!

Mutants with the capability to manipulate the environment and change it to their pleasure would be a nightmare to approach since they can affect the footing of anyone coming their way--or in the case of AOE mutant powers, they can simply raise the density of attack power to remove any advantage gained by cover.

All this while not needing to get into close range.

Due to this, their worst matchups are with riflemen, snipers, gunmen, explosive experts with lots of smokebombs, fliers, proper fans of parkour and kick-focused artsteams with the capability to distract the mutant and play sleigh of hand against him. For one of these who wants to shore up their close-combat weakness, Judo, Aikido, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai are appropriate choices.

All these are appropriate to punish anyone who manages to get too close to comfort who is within the range of humanly strong and tough while making sure that the throw gains distance once more. Two for their channeling of their enemies' strength away from their body while making distance, and the third to deal catastrophic damage focused on the head and shoulders.

Naturally, dealing with brutes in close combat is a fool's errand for these people. Bury them in rubble, or make them slam repeatedly onto the floor while applying maximum pressure with every impact to reduce the dissipation of kinetic energy. AOE can dig a ditch to bury the brute in or any use of their powerset to distract, overwhelm, and contain.

Precogs on the other hand can plot in advance how they will strike, where will they strike, how will they use the environment to aggravate any injuries or enrage their adversary into becoming sloppy. These would benefit the most from Vietcong-style Training using punji pit-inspired traps, Penkat Silat, Savate, and the Russian military martial art Sistema for their human-tier mutant and normal human enemies who get in close contact.

Otherwise? Battlefield control, sabotage of elements that the opposition wants to use--or to remove any control for their benefit, trapping, distractions, psychological mind games are fair game to distract and confuse the superpowered foe into beneficial actions. The use of tools is a must to ensure an advantage or to bridge the gap.

Precogs do not fight fair ... and neither do area of effect powers and explosives that can be used to counter them damned precogs! ;)

Vorian and TanaNari like this.
  9. Nerx

Nerx HOORNGH!

Super strength comes with a built in counter, there is a reason why most muscly dudes dont pick combat sports as their main career choice.

Stamina, since the hearts gotta pump all that blood to feed all those muscles with oxygen. Gotta be efficient in fights.

Like those fighters bragging about round 1 knockouts having problems in round 11 breathing.

10. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I operate on the assumption that superpowers rely upon a non-biological power source. Otherwise, every flyer would have about twelve seconds of airtime before they die of heart attacks, and lasers that couldn't even break skin would consume about a kilogram of body fat per second.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  11. Nerx

Nerx HOORNGH!

I'd also put moisture draining, specific and touch based but exceedingly lethal

Lots of fighters tend to due by massive weight cuts during their press cons, less moisture also makes it easier to knockout someone

Dehydration and Rehydration is one of those things that caused sports wide concerns, and there are new rules made

Some big promotions use IV drip methods afterwards and other safe measures