• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

16th September 2012
19:21 GMT

"…access their world."

So this is where the machine the Sivanas built to send us to Witch World ended up.
Good to know it wasn't abandoned, like so many advanced devices are after their debut. I see Doctor Mist has been busy in the meantime, if he's got this set up. Haste may not be the best option, though. Don't want to go off half-cocked.

Dr. Balewa gestures to the inscriptions drawn onto a portion of the device controlling the start and end points. Further runes link the table Nabu's skull-helmet sits on to the wall array. Looks like… Steering and anchoring.

Not sure how I'll feel if it turns out that Dr. Balewa only needed an hour or so to bypass the whole 'need a host to use magic' restriction.
So, the Doc was able to separate Nabu from Mike without harm, then. No doubt he and his family are safely off somewhere where they can grieve in peace, and hopefully get a little therapy...

Overman is taking a closer look at the helmet.

"This came from their world?"
As far as they know. I expect having it turn out to be a different world entirely would just complicate the narrative...

"Yes. That's one of the functions of the orange light; I can turn people into constructs. Then they become my slaves."

He looks understandably concerned. "Slaves-?"
:eek: OL, you know how bad it sounds when you just say it like that?

"Do not be so confident. I have overcome domination spells before."

"I only use it in cases where the target is irredeemable and there's an operational reason to keep them around. In this case, we need access to his Earth and… You don't have to talk to him for long to realise that he's a lost cause."
Doctor Mist has my sympathy, then, for having to put up with it. At least now, you can just dump Nabu in a closet, or maybe donate him to the Corps for some much-needed mystical support.

"I had assumed that you would not use such methods."

Superman gives me a mildly disappointed look.

"We don't. The Justice League don't."
Ah, but that's the rub, isn't it? OL isn't part of the League, is he? Or is this about his perceived youth? Someone his age shouldn't be so casual about killing people?

"But sometimes it's really convenient if someone who isn't a member does something and shares what they learned. Superman, I would honestly be happy to debate the efficacy of lethal force with you-. Oh."

I frown.
As long as it doesn't end with Supes going on a murder spree or something on his worst foes... That way leads to injustice...

"Something wrong?"

"If the angels hadn't destroyed the Sword of the Fallen I might have been able to use it to turn him back. One of… Larfleeze's Construct-Lanterns is a Guardian. Even if he ended up back as… They used to be before bonding with their symbiotes, it would still have been a big help for the Green Lantern Corps." I shrug. "Missed opportunity. Sorry. Carry on."
Gee, if only you'd though of that back before you pissed off Heaven. :rolleyes:

"I would have bound him in ways just as unpleasant and far less reliable. With evil spirits, a magician's options are limited."

Superman looks at Nabu. "What happened to you?"
Here we go. Finally some backstory on Earth-Hell...

"I realised how worthless everything I'd ever done and every belief I'd ever had was."

"And so you decided to lash out at everyone around you?"
Wow, when Nabu goes emo, he goes emo hard. I suppose the loftier the height, the further the fall...

"You were most persuasive."

Superman blinks, then I see his eyes flick towards Overman for an instant.
And Karl is probably thinking "Oh. Another evil Superman. I wonder what made this one mad?"

"What happened?"

"No. You'll need me to pass undetected through their wards. I want to see your face when you-."
Oi, quit the backtalk, you obnoxious bucket. You seem to have forgotten, you aren't in charge of anything anymore...

"You're not a free agent, Nabu. Tell him what he wants to know."

"You did."

Superman nods. "I thought that was what you meant. Was I-. Was there something wrong with me from the start?"
Not impossible. Sometimes, all it takes is the wrong set of foster parents...

"No. You were a virtuous hero. Until you weren't. Or perhaps you were feigning virtue all along. That seems more likely. I certainly wouldn't have tolerated Lois Lane for as long as you did. How many times can a woman fall from a building before if becomes obvious that the problem is her? I wasn't there to witness the change myself, and by the time I returned to the material universe it seemed unimportant."

"So Demon Superman rules over the Earth."
Or what's left of it. I can't imagine how many have died...

"If you can call it ruling. He mostly just sits there and listens to the misery of the surviving population. I imagine that his super hearing allows him to hear all of it. I wonder how it will make you feel."

"Sick to my stomach, probably. But I'll sleep better at night knowing that I did something then knowing that I did nothing."
And that is what makes him a good man.

"I doubt that. But far be it for me to stop you."

Overman looks thoughtful.
Something sounding familiar, Karl? Or just age and wisdom telling you to learn a little more before haring off to punch faces righteously?

"What is your Superman trying to achieve?"

"Little to nothing. Whatever the netherfiends whispering in his head tell him. I have no particular insight."
More accurate than he realises. What with the culprit of all this being a Kryptonian Demon...

"And the other heroes?"

"They are his creatures now, ruined in mind and soul. Monstrous beasts without the intellect he himself maintains."
Not too bad. As long as they remember to use the glowing brand thing..

"And the mark thing?"

"Ritual humiliation. He breaks their will as he breaks their world."
...They can avoid trouble for the most part.

"That doesn't sound like me. If anything, it sounds like Darkseid."

"Darkseid is hardly the only great evil in the universe. In time, you will be just as bad."
Every being has that potential, Nabu. Even you, which you may not have noticed during your little pity party.

"I don't believe that for a moment. I just met a Nazi version of myself and even he's trying to be a better man." Superman looks over to Overman. "How old did you say you were?"

"I arrived on Earth in nineteen thirty nine. If that is when I was born, then I am seventy three."
Over twice Superman-16's age. Of course, for a Kryptonian, that's still well in his prime...

"Then it sounds like I've got a little while. Doctor Mist, can you get us there?"

Dr. Balewa nods. "I can open a portal to their Earth. But if I went through myself, I may have difficulty adapting to a world saturated with demon magic."
So you remain here, watching for a signal. Or they exit to Earth-10 then use their method to get back to Earth-16...

:D Ha!

"Ah, no, Angelica Blaze. Her or Zauriel. Theurgy should still work, shouldn't it?"

He nods. "I believe so. But it would also draw the attention of the entire world."
Well, it would mean a quick mission...

"We can't fight everyone on the planet, not if we want to save them." Superman nods. "Call them in, but have them on stand by. What do you say, Overman?"

"You want to save them?"
That may not be possible, given Supergirl-Hell's state. Fixing the damage done would not be quick, nor easy... It's not like punching the evil out of that Superman will instantly suck the Hell-mojo out of, well, everything.

"If an evil version of us has taken over and corrupted the place, I'd say it's our job to fix the it."

Overman watches his face for a moment and then looks away, smiling.
'Ah, idealistic youth.' Karl's probably having fun seeing such a lively version of himself...

"Yes. Let us save these poor huddled masses. I assume that you will not countenance the use of lethal force?"

Superman looks at me for a moment.

"If there-. If there are situations where you can't avoid if without innocent people dying… But try not to."
Well, there's development. Grudging acceptance of a hard truth. As long as he doesn't go loopy like the one time that he had to execute three Kryptonian Criminals in the post-crisis era. :confused: That was a weird story arc.

Overman nods, and Superman flies towards the portal.

"Doctor, send us through."
Whoa, hold it there, blue boy. Want to put together a proper team for this little excursion first?

I really hope Overman speaks up about rushing into an unknown situation. Because this is classic Kal-El all over, blindly rushing off to fix something he feels responsible for... Even OL should be a little wary of jumping into a hellworld. I mean, have they even thought about how they'll get home? How they'll beat Superman-Hell, given their weakness to magic (And yes, I know Karl is probably more resistant, but Kal-16?) Heck, what about not instantly being corrupted upon arrival? Too many unknowns, Kal!

...before if becomes obvious that the problem is her?
...before it becomes obvious that the problem is her?

, but that's the rub, isn't it? OL isn't part of the League, is he? Or is this about his perceived youth? Someone his age shouldn't be so casual about killing people

He really needs to tell them all about his actual age.

Gee, if only you'd though of that back before you pissed off Heaven. :rolleyes:

That was less him pissing off Heaven and more Boss Smiley wanting to get him out of the way.

Not impossible. Sometimes, all it takes is the wrong set of foster parents...

Like Ultraman, who was apparently raised by criminals.

Every being has that potential, Nabu. Even you, which you may not have noticed during your little pity party.

He probably noticed it, but he may not care anymore.

That may not be possible, given Supergirl-Hell's state. Fixing the damage done would not be quick, nor easy... It's not like punching the evil out of that Superman will instantly suck the Hell-mojo out of, well, everything.

Unless he's the focus of that whole thing, then it just may.

Ah, idealistic youth.' Karl's probably having fun seeing such a lively version of himself..

Plus this is probably one of the least morally ambiguous fights he may be in.

Back home he would fight people that a brutal regime wants to exterminate, even though he disagrees with the regimes beliefs, but he knows that if he doesn't fight those people, who were victims of the government, then innocent people may die.

This is by comparison much more simple.

Just destroy the planet. Call up Kalmin, ask for a planet killer designed specifically for a demon infested world (can he make a theurgical planet killer? because that might be a fun challenge for him), and annihilated it. Maybe a couple people like demon Superman survive, but odds are their mechanism for crossing dimensions doesn't.

The Supermen wouldn't go for it, but honestly. If you have a wasp nest by your front door, you poison the entire hive and make sure there are no survivors.

Fingers crossed this mission doesn't turn into a complete shit show.

You naive child.

Just destroy the planet. Call up Kalmin, ask for a planet killer designed specifically for a demon infested world (can he make a theurgical planet killer? because that might be a fun challenge for him), and annihilated it. Maybe a couple people like demon Superman survive, but odds are their mechanism for crossing dimensions doesn't.

The Supermen wouldn't go for it, but honestly. If you have a wasp nest by your front door, you poison the entire hive and make sure there are no survivors.

Paul may not want to do that unless he knows for sure that the planet is a lost cause.

He wants to help people become better and will only give up if he knows for sure that they're beyond redemption.

"I had assumed that you would not use such methods."

Superman gives me a mildly disappointed look.

"We don't. The Justice League don't."

"But sometimes it's really convenient if someone who isn't a member does something and shares what they learned. Superman, I would honestly be happy to debate the efficacy of lethal force with you-.
This got me thinking. Mr Zoat, does any member of the League actually think of Paul as the guy to call when they need a dirty job to be done? Or is Paul just being glib?

This got me thinking. Mr Zoat, does any member of the League actually think of Paul as the guy to call when they need a dirty job to be done? Or is Paul just being glib?
I would not be surprised if several of them keep that idea in the backs of their heads, but I doubt many would be inclined to admit it, even to Paul (and some not even to themselves).

...before it becomes obvious that the problem is her?
Thank you, corrected.
Lol, what?! They are willingly going to demon world earth?! I thought Paul is suppose to be the sensible one!

I would just lock up that universe up and never look back.
How are you planning on doing that, exactly?
What happened to Jason blood? Or blue devil. Or any of the other demon superheros.

Hell recruit Satanus or Daemon Constantine
We're invading alcohol world! Quick, call the alcoholics!
So, the Doc was able to separate Nabu from Mike without harm, then. No doubt he and his family are safely off somewhere where they can grieve in peace, and hopefully get a little therapy...
Mike-?

Oh. Whoops.

It's not the demons. It's the tainted humans and superhumans, billions of them.
Only Batman and Guy have consciously thought about it in those terms. But most of the others would just look a bit awkward if you brought it up.

During the Sheeda invasion, Batman and the JL signed off on lethal force and sent a team to do just that. This is probably rude but at this point, Superman should just get over his squeamishness when it comes to killing.

Very much a tangent but I'm having fun imagining Overman meeting Karst Wor-Ul and the results of that conversation.

Now I'm curious where she is in Karl's home dimension. Perhaps she landed on a different world or something similar. Maybe she died on Krypton after she obeyed the recall order.

Very much a tangent but I'm having fun imagining Overman meeting Karst Wor-Ul and the results of that conversation.

Now I'm curious where she is in Karl's home dimension. Perhaps she landed on a different world or something similar. Maybe she died on Krypton after she obeyed the recall order.

Or she may have left due to the Nazis increased use of Kryptonian tech because she was worried she'd be discovered.

Or she may have left due to the Nazis increased use of Kryptonian tech because she was worried she'd be discovered.
Does she have the ability to leave Earth? I thought she was trapped due to her having a one way ticket when she deserted. Granted it's been so long since she was introduced that I really don't remember.

Because she is a Kryptonian but she didn't grow up under a yellow sun. Yet she's still spent decades longer then Clark under it. She always struck me as weak but skilled (for a given value of weak, given she's still a Kryptonian) compared to Clark.

Does she have the ability to leave Earth? I thought she was trapped due to her having a one way ticket when she deserted. Granted it's been so long since she was introduced that I really don't remember.

Because she is a Kryptonian but she didn't grow up under a yellow sun. Yet she's still spent decades longer then Clark under it. She always struck me as weak but skilled (for a given value of weak, given she's still a Kryptonian) compared to Clark.
When Clark found her in the Paragon timeline she left earth so she must have some kind of ship.

After Clark found her she apparently left the planet, so she did have a ship, or at least a means to leave.

And I wouldn't describe her as weak since she was able to beat Clark when he came to see her.

She may have not grown up under a yellow sun but she did spend decades longer than Clark soaking up that energy.

I wonder if this means we got a checkov flag for another of those god killing swords ? Out of curiosity, do we have any idea what would happen if the Source was somehow poked with one ?

Did think that a demonic planet ruled by a possessed Superman might have a bit of experience of shoving demonic energies into Kryptonians ?

Out of curiosity, do we have any idea what would happen if the Source was somehow poked with one ?

Probably a whole load of nothing (partially due to the fact that stabbing an entire dimension thingy is a bit hard, but mostly due to scale I'd imagine), or a lot of very, very angry parties coming for your throat for you killing their deity/power source.

Maybe both since you'd have to be outside of standard spacetime to do it.

Also maybe a whole lot of freed bad guys, potentially including a version of Superboy Prime.

Out of curiosity, do we have any idea what would happen if the Source was somehow poked with one ?

Most likely nothing since the Source is a crapload more powerful than the Second and Third of the Fallen, so at best the Sword would not do much, and at worst it may destroy the Sword.

Also maybe a whole lot of freed bad guys, potentially including a version of Superboy Prime.

And Yuga Khan, the guy Nightpain is afraid of.

Whoa cowboy think and plan before you jump...

Also anyone else concerned that the GUARDIANs of universe 666 don't seem to mind that the LIFE ENTITY home has been corrupted to the gills with demon magic? Anyone else think the corruption has gone universal and that all life on the universe now has demon mojo running through it?

Would be interesting if the entire universe is now EVILTM with a few places resisting the corruption and fighting against it.

Whoa cowboy think and plan before you jump...

Also anyone else concerned that the GUARDIANs of universe 666 don't seem to mind that the LIFE ENTITY home has been corrupted to the gills with demon magic? Anyone else think the corruption has gone universal and that all life on the universe now has demon mojo running through it?

Would be interesting if the entire universe is now EVILTM with a few places resisting the corruption and fighting against it.

That's assuming they put the Life Entity there, or that the demons could corrupt it.

When you think about it, Superman meeting GOD DAMN FUCKING NAZI SUPERMAN and there he is, un-brainwashing himself and doin his best; that's gotta be a pretty good self character refrence.

Again, Superman's rediculously harsh self restrictions are probably for the best; given that he seems peg the purest expression of Ultima ratio regum but as a dude that walks around and shit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back