1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. ChestBurster

ChestBurster Getting sticky.

That is fucking hilarious.

I wonder what Lazy Sam's next move is gonna be? More sucking out avarice from OL's rings? Or directly shoot apathy beams?

Lord Ernest, Cuchulin and Windona like this.
  2. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that normally the brass would struggle to use the nuclear football, but he managed to trick the president into saying that he wanted it.
    So having a nuclear device tossed at him(and getting blown up) would be something the president would have asked for.

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

While Demon-Constantine life sucks through no fault of his own he was still an active participant in an invasion led by the First of the Fallen. I doubt Paul or anyone else will be willing to overlook that and help him out. And making another Constantine tied to Order or especially Chaos sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

5. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Indeed. Why is the money for prosthetics research or better cryptography coming out of the military budget? I mean I get the tangential connection, but still....

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

So was George Washington, and I don't hear you complaining about him.

7. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

8. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

Debating this would be a total Rule 8 violation, but let's just consider the sheer levels of responsibility that have been placed on the US military since, oh, say, 1946. In particular, the defense of other nations that have chosen to interpret their treaties with the US as meaning that they no longer need to fund their own indigenous militaries and can instead spend the money on other issues.

That listing is only correct in terms of gross expenditures; when you factor in all the things that each country's military is required to spend money on, the order changes up significantly. Saying that the US military is overfunded is, frankly, exactly the same thing as claiming that the Royal Navy, before WW1, made the British military overfunded. (And, just as happened to the RN, the USN is slowly losing its battle against its longest-standing, most difficult adversary, the Office of Management and Budget that constantly tries to force it to do more with less, every single year.)

9. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

If debating it is a total Rule 8 violation, why are you answering in the thread? Take it to PMs or off-site or just drop it.

10. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Maybe surprisingly, there's no obvious good candidate. Most of our problems maintaining civilian control have been with the FBI and CIA, not the military per se. Douglas Macarthur, maybe? But probably just literal General Ripper.

Correct; Johnny Reb and Billy Yank. Canon says they merged again during Reconstruction, but if Sam was busy playing the part of the ungiven mules, that doesn't sound right anyway.

I wonder if they can pull some conceptual judo with the 'Lost Cause' on this guy...

11. woweed

woweed Know what you're doing yet?

Maybe that's why he's around! Lost Cause = Return of Johnny Reb, hence this guy. As for the first point, my guess is that The Brass is General Groves, who is referenced later.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and kerleth like this.
  12. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

My explanation of how the money is grossly wasted would unfortunately be a violation of that rule, so have a movie clip instead.

And that's just ONE EXAMPLE of your Tax Dollars at work. A political satire example but that perfectly applies to a real airplane we cannot mention.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  13. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Mmm, I do love a good conceptual fight. The Soviet uniform was excellent, and I loved things like the Veil of Legitimacy and the Nuclear Football being an actual football.

Dang, Bad Sam. This is going to be interesting, especially if he's the embodiment of the Lost Cause and the general genocide/evil of the US's past.

And TBH even if Paul wasn't concerned about collateral, I don't think he could brute force this.

kerleth, ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Tyrantviewer

Tyrantviewer lord of all I survey

Depending on how it would work, I could see original john pawning off his new power baggage to Demon constantine- if it purges demonic influence and leave that contantine a better person, and the whole balance of power thing the lords of order and chaos have could mean that Order or Chaos constantine would be banished from earth to trouble them all no more.

One really out there idea would be to recruit him for Hesphestean, to fill in some minor divine role- cutting him off from Hell and putting him under supervision, though I struggle to think of what position he could take. That could work better for Richard Simmons though- Hades' recruting him to help process souls and supplanting his connection to hell with a connection to Hades.

Maybe Demon constantine could make the order and chaos possiblilities work if he and John play with the incarnation magic, to make it a temporary thing, long enough to make him not a demon any more at least. Or maybe do a fusion dance and mingle traits and then manage the whole thing better?

Really this is all highly speculative until we find Original John

Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  15. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what ends up on page 1776, ngl

kerleth and Prince Charon like this.
  16. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

That may have been Washington's country of citizenship in the beginning portion of his life, but he was born in Virginia. Moreover he did not identify as British, especially later on in life, and it's a question of what extent he ever considered himself British given how many born in the colonies oftentimes associated more with their birth colony than England to begin with.

In the conceptual world too, Washington's willingness to repudiate everything English, and his continual shying away from British traditions like Kingship and such make the statement of Washington being British as something applicable here feel questionable at best.

He never went to Britain I believe. Received no education in Britain. And didn't even speak a British dialect of English. Moreover he was feeling oppositional emotions towards the British and developed a disdain for Britain even before the War began

The Declaration of Independence itself was and is something symbolic enough to genuinely push back against the idea that the signatories especially, but really anyone in the United States could be considered British after that point.

Even more so after America won the Revolutionary War/War for Independence

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hmm, you know the symbolism would be very appropriate.

kerleth and Prince Charon like this.
  18. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

"Winkle" is exceptionally strongly British. Few Americans even know the word in the first place, much less would use it in a sentence. If you want something in an American dialect, "wrangle" might fit, or you could just use "force" or "drag".

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Nah, definitely not Groves. Groves was the general in charge of the Manhattan Project and was being referenced for that. The face of the Brass should be someone who made decisions routing around the Presiden, the Cabinet, and Congress; stuff like the Bay of Pigs or Iran-Contra.

Groves didn't; the closest he came was being involved in picking which cities to hit, and even there he deferred to the Secretary of War and, when he couldn't convince him to allow nuking Kyoto, went around him only to take Kyoto off the conventional bombing list. Groves was the military working as intended, with civilian control ultimately being decisive.

Really, what we should expect is that the Brass is actually a Spook in power armor. The Spooks are the real scary challenge to civilian control and have been since the 60s. Technology hasn't helped that either, it's definitely gotten worse since the Cold War ended, but that's getting too close to Rule 8 so let's not get into that.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

Agreed. The colonial americans definitely werent british by that point. They had created their own culture and nation even before then while still being British subjects.

Imo it qould be like calling the Irish british.

Windona, Doccer and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Military-Industrial Complex has a specific meaning- an informal alliance of the military and related government departments with defense industries that is held to influence government policy.

So the Brass should reflect a guy who jumped into bed with the defense companies to take away from the military being about protecting American interests to a money making operation for private interests.

kerleth, Lord Ernest and Cuchulin like this.
  23. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

*Violently suppresses the urge to commit a potential Rule 8 violation* Although it would be more a Rule 1 or 5 violation at that point

Xmaster3000, Lord Ernest and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

The Irish are British. The British Isles are the islands in the sea north of France. We don't call it Great Britain because it's a wonderful place, we call it that because it's the largest of the British Isles.

25. Threadmarks: Dear John (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

7th November 2012
    Roughly 10:58 GMT -5

Okay, new Americanan, and I've got no idea what he represents. He looks like Uncle Sam, though his hair's a little longer and… More dishevelled? His smile is a little more manic as well, giving the discordant impression that he heard a hilarious joke not too long ago and is about to share it with me.

"Who, then?"

"Boy, ah am disappointed. The way Boss Smiley's been carrying on about you, ah thought you'd have me all added up the moment ah stepped down from that there chair."

"One of his favourites, then. Or an aspect of him?"

"Ah suppose you could say that we're all aspects of him. And we get along well enough. Never been one for changing things that aren't broken, though ah am not averse to doing some breaking."

He hesitates for a moment, regarding me curiously.

"Perhaps the issue is one of a difference in culture on the other side of the Atlantic. Allow me to illuminate the matter."

He takes his hat off his head and taps the stovepipe. It immediately inverts, the horizontal bars being replaced by vertical stripes and the ring of stars moving to the rim. He looks at it for a moment, smiling, then puts it back up upon his head.

"That clear things up for-."

"Johnny Reb. How have you outlived your country?"

"A people, a political community, are not defined by lines on a map, boy. Elsewise, every nigger born in the country would be the equal of every white man. It's culture. And while I will admit that I have taken a licking, I'm going to hang on until the final bell."

He glances behind me as The Brass fires its remaining cannons, a colossal pillar of dust and rubble erupting from the ground!

"People are impressionable creatures. Tell a lie often enough and they forget the truth. Even when the truth is written down plain as day." He reaches up to tap his hat with his right forefinger. "There are still folks today who say this was about freedom from the Federal Government, as if slavery wasn't guaranteed under the constitution. That's where The Brass's chains come from, in case you were-"

CLANG!

"-wondering."

Chains!

"Ah seem to recall hearing that you aren't entirely of pure stock yourself."

Warning!

Yes, yes, I know.

I'm wrapped in chains from top to bottom. I can still see out through the gaps, but I focused too much on Johnny and lost sight of-! Can't just slide out as there isn't physically enough space, except-. Ring, can my armour stand the pressure these chains are applying?

Armour can withstand highest demonstrated chain pressure.

Which would make sense as the chains slaves wear aren't supposed to actually kill them, they're supposed to bind and suppress them. Drop construct armour and make my environmental shield skin tight.

Compliance.

Clank!

"I see you know your place."

It's uncomfortable but survivable. And the drain has… Stopped?

No, but it is reduced.

Extrude a rope under my right foot. Is the additional drain measurable?

Yes. One hundred eighteen-. One hundred sixteen-.

Got it, drill down.

Compliance.

Try and find a corridor. If you can't, send it towards the Memorial through the ground. Show me what it's seeing.

Compliance.

Not a lot, and then… We're through. Tunnel, some lighting, lots of worms moving with a purpose, some carrying things while others are just sort of oozing over the equipment. Equipment leading toooo…

Oh no.

Leading to Uncle Sam, strapped to a gurney, chest bare and with the left side… Cut open. Tubes of… Something, are being fed into it and flow from it. Not sure what's happening there but I doubt that it was done with friendly intentions.

So, objectives: free Uncle Sam and have him beat the stuffing out of Johnny Reb. Can't do much else about Boss Smiley in this regard. Then… Get out, with Uncle Sam's help.

Ring, plug into the tubes going in and find out what they are.

Compliance.

The chains holding me part slightly, freeing part of my helmet. Johnny Reb walks closer, some sort-. That's a branding iron, and the brand is red hot.

"Been a good long while since ah've gotten the opportunity to use one of these on a living man."

Glowing red iron is… Probably not going to go through my armour, but it's magical and I shouldn't assume things. The worms don't really have eyes, and-. Plug in there-.

Blood and powered kaahuite. Where did he get that-? They're pumping blood mixed with solid pieces of evil into him. Because that makes it count as his blood? Blood type… A Positive, naturally. Install filter and disintegrator.

Compliance.

"I've been branded before."

"Then you're used goods, boy. Can't get full price for yah!"

"Slavery violates the Thirteenth Amendment."

"But you must remember that ah'm cut from a different cloth, and that Article One Section Nine of the Confederate Constitution describes things rather differently. Doubled down in Article Four in case somebody forgot."

"Alright, but I don't understand why that makes you align with Boss Smiley. By the standards of the time there wasn't anything particularly corrupt about owning people."

Blood is flowing back into Uncle Sam's body and I think it's time to rush the final stages.

"Corruption is a tool, boy. Boss Smiley opposes change that he doesn't control. Why would ah want to change a perfect civilisation? Why would ah want less control?"

"So… Just to check, you aren't part of the magical reflection of the United States of America? You're separate?"

"You'd best believe it, boy. Now-."

"Then I have no reason to leave you alive."

Construct chains lash out below us, worms dragged to the side of the room as a construct chirurgeon quickly and carefully removes the outflow in Sam's heart. His eyes start focusing almost at once… Yes, low blood pressure, best leave the in tubes in for a moment. No easy way to get rid of kaahuite but I can work on that later. Blood pressure… Normalising, that'll have to do. Tubes out heart sealed chest closed.

"And how exactly-?" His eyes dip down. "Your feet are glowing, boy."

He lunges, brand burning into the armour of my helmet as I redirect a construct upwards from below, and smile at him.

"So are yours."

Construct hands punch up through the pavement and drag him down!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  26. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

I think that it’s one of those things that’s correct and incorrect at the same time depending on the frame of reference. At a political level, if the Irish were British (where British is used to refer to the people of the Kingdom of Great Britain) in the political/societal/cultural sense, then the 1801-1922 official appellation for the nation wouldn’t have needed to be “The Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland”, or subsequently, “The Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”, because it would have been redundant. Geographically, Ireland is one of the British Isles, but that doesn’t inherently make Irish people British if you’re referring to them in non-geographic terms.

27. Syphi

Syphi Reading four stories at a time.

And that is what we call shooting yourself in the foot and not knowing when to stop answering questions. Enjoyable read.

28. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

American
    “Smiley”, unless that’s a dialect thing.
    I think that probably was intended to be “I shouldn’t assume things”, but I could see it working as written, even if it’s not the usual way it’s done.

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  29. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

All I got from Johnny Reb is a supergirl villain.

ChestBurster likes this.
  30. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

'Johnny Reb' was slang for the soldiers of the American Civil War fighting for the south. (Excuse me, South.)