1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

What if Quinn was trying to find a way back to Paul's home worldline?

OK. Are we still at five Supergirls right now? I've lost track, and there's a chance that it might matter again, later.

kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

As the sum totality of a concept that predates even the universe, I'm not so sure what the thresholds would be but I'm betting that unless its the Darksied thing that's bigger than multiverses it would probably not matter.

Then again Dream was trapped by a guy in his basement. Eh magic.

3. Threadmarks: Feasibility Study (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

18th November 2012
    11:54 GMT +3

"…mechanical engineering, you know?"

Kon hurls the tree trunk and Wolf bounds off after it.

"Does Happy Harbour High School teach that?"

"We don't work on stuff that big in shop class, but there's an after school club for it."

He looks at me expectantly as the trunk crashes back down to earth in the distance.

"Could be useful in your other job, too."

"As a superhero?" He frowns, puzzled. "I guess. It hasn't really come up so far-."

"No, I meant as Crown Prince of Themyscira. You could teach women who don't quite feel brave enough to leave the island, get them used to complex machinery."

He looks away slightly awkwardly. "Shouldn't Mitchell be Crown Prince? He's older."

"Oh? Hankering for a normal life?"

"I don't… I don't know. I don't really think that Themyscira needs a prince."

"It went three thousand years without a princess, but Diana's still found a way to make herself useful."

In the distance, Wolf finally catches up with the trunk and gnaws at it, trying to find an angle that will let her pick it up and drag it back.

"Besides, they're going to have a new generation of Themysciran boys before too long. Having you and Mitchell around as role models will set a good example."

His eyes drop for a moment, then come back up. "You hear about the court case?"

"Surprised it took this long."

Because in Old Themyscira, it was perfectly normal for women who felt like getting pregnant to meet up with a man during festival time, and not unusual for her to never speak to him again. Everyone on Themyscira was most emphatically told that that's not how it works in Man's World but unsurprisingly a woman called Medina didn't listen. Or didn't care. Which means that Diana's dealing with Themyscira's first paternity lawsuit in three thousand years because the man in question wants contact with his child.

And yes, Themyscira did have paternity suits back in the Old City. They weren't much like modern suits; women didn't get paid by the father to raise their own children in the old days. It was more about notifying that there was a child so the family could avoid accidental incest and arguments over whether a boy would be brought up by the father or the mother's brother.

And, naturally, there's no procedure for handling civil lawsuits between Americans and Amazons. Medina's been living on a farm in the north of Themyscira for the last five hundred years or so and doesn't appear to have any plans to show up in America again. Or pay much attention to the thoughts of the forum, which appears to think that she's at the very least conducting herself poorly in relation to a friendly country.

"You know, you could take to the forum yourself."

"So could you."

I shrug. "I'm not involved. I'm the technology guy."

"It's your portal. I thought you wanted Themyscira to have-"

"Yes."

"-more direct contact with America."

"Yes, but I can't be-."

Wolf walks up to us, twisting her neck and releasing to 'throw' the trunk at me.

"Good wolf."

She sits, tail wagging and eyes expectant. I generate a construct hand and pretend to throw the tree.

"Rrreeehhhuuuugh."

She just stares at me.

"Clever gi-."

My construct hand throws the tree, and she's about half a second delayed as she expects I'm going to try faking it again. Then she dashes off after it.

"I can't be doing everything about it. Inter-government stuff needs to be handled by the royal family."

"And because you're not around."

I wince, because… It's true. I've dropped down from a couple of visits a week to one a fortnight. And those are visits to specific individuals I need to talk to for something I'm doing.

"And because I'm not around. But it's a big universe and I'm not around a lot of places."

Kon watches Wolf for a moment.

"Do you think I should talk to the guy?"

"Not really. I mean, it will be interesting to hear him explain exactly what he thought was going to happen when he had a hook-up with an Amazon he'd never met before, but in America he'd still be on the hook."

"Wally said he thought it was a publicity thing."

I shrug. "Could be. Might be worth looking into. Or.. you could just ask M'gann to read his mind."

"Or you could just look at him."

I…

John's back and in recovery, which requires me to appear on Themyscira every other day or so. Which is why I even know about Medina's reproductive reprobacy; I heard one of John's counsellors talking about it.

"I could, but I'm not sure that it would have legal significance. I mean, American men can't say 'she said she was on the pill' to get out of child support payments. Why would 'he didn't say anything about wanting contact with the child' get her out of having to make contact arrangements?"

"Because she's on Themyscira." He shrugs. "Probably be a lot easier to get the forum to agree a rule about child rearing if you could honestly say that he wanted to be a father."

"But that implies that I would be around for every incident, when what I want is for them to agree how normal law will work."

"Grandma left it until I proved to everyone that I was a hero before she got the forum to change the succession rules. Now they've changed it, if I have a son, he wouldn't have to prove himself in the same way because the law has already changed."

"So… You want me to come up with a legal mechanism for handling civil law disputes between Themysciran citizens and American citizens?"

He gives me a quiet huff.

"And how long is that going to take you?"

"I could write the laws in five minutes. The difficult bit is finding what everyone wants. The forum might think that Medina's being a prat, but you know that it's not a good place for actually creating policy."

"Okay. How about we work on it together? You handle the law and I'll handle the people."

"Will you be wearing your robes?"

"Do I have to?"

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  4. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Yes! I’m very happy to see more Themyscira.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

An alien hybrid boy and his genetically enhanced wolf.

"get her aside from having"

"Now they've changed"

So I guess the title refers to whether or not this is going to work.

6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Is it weird this fic makes me excited for legal stuff and policy making?

7. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

I tried to get the context here, and I'm pretty sure that you meant to write the word hand instead of had.

8. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I'm happy to see Kon, and if this is a more mundane, catching up episode, then I'll be even more happy. I feel like we haven't seen the Team since forever!

9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, playing 'fetch' the way only a pair of Danner Enhanciles could. Yes, I know, part kryptonian, but he's also part human, and the Danner part stops the bits from being... Unbalanced, in terms of durability. Still, it's nice to see him being a normal guy, even if he's taking it to quite the extreme.

And even if you can't use super-strength to help out, you're still a big guy. I'm sure the lads will appreciate the muscle.

True, knowing the best spot to hit a giant robot to stop a joint or weapon working might be handy one day.

...Huh. Might want to give him a few years on that, though. So he has enough knowledge to actually teach.

Besides, Mitch is a quieter guy. He's probably not looking to take the spotlight like that.

And at least you got to skip the awkward mothering phase being a child around several hundred thousand women would produce.

Ah, some of the ladies taking advantage of travel to the outside world properly, hmm?

I mean, it might take some of them a while to get the nerve to go abroad, never mind anything else they might get up to...

...Well, at least they didn't kill them outright, like some versions of the idea.

Because there are some things a man can't learn from a woman, no matter how you slice it, nor things a boy would willingly talk about his mother with. :p

And of course, some are probably going "'We did it this way for centuries even before coming to the island. What's wrong with tradition?" There's always some.

And I suspect Hippolyta and the other leaders would rather you not make any more awkward incidents anytime soon.

OL's more of a 'set thing up, let other people sort out the details' guy, if anything.

Heh. Looks like someone wants them to stop talking and play.

Aw, OL. Don't do her dirty like that...

...Especially when she's smart enough to know you'd do that.

She's such a good dog, isn't she?

Very busy fellow, please understand. But seriously, OL does have way too many irons in the fire. Man needs to learn to delegate, and trust that they can do what he wants them to.

Yes, how is the Orange Lantern Corps going, again? Or your students?

I mean, if he is pursuing custody for good reason...

And depending on circumstances, I suspect alcohol played quite a part?

I mean, you are a Themyscrian citizen, and kind of part of the upper class. Getting involved would be expected, if not desired.

Well, it's something new to gossip about. No wonder it's spread so far.

Because this will probably not be the last such case that pops up.

It probably wouldn't hurt, though. Martial prowess is something of a qualification for the Amazons...

Heh, he probably assumed OL would be all over it, because it just sounds so interesting.

And a referendum might give surprising results, even if they check with everyone.

...The off-the-shoulder, chest-baring kind, perhaps?

I'm sure the ladies would appreciate the view.

Nice to see Kon again. How long has it been since they've had a casual chat like this on-screen, now? I mean, bouncing around the weirder corners of the DC Universe is fun and all, but some of us do enjoy the quiet, character-interaction-heavy bit now and again... I would not be surprised if this turned out to be a breather episode, before things get really intense before the end of the season. Just something fun and silly, before the excrement is flung towards the rotary cooling device...

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Glad someone finally called out LePaul's bullshit excuse to get out of doing things.

Otto von Saurion and Minars90 like this.
  11. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

For a man with functionally infinite wealth and power Paul is surprisingly easy to bribe.

12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

13. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

excellent. Themyscira is one of my favorite topics, and now especially because there's the opportunity for Constantine to pop in and get magical. toss some Swamp Thing/Green lore into the mix and i'll be cumming day and night.

14. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I'm gonna guess this political reform is going to end with the revelation that Heracles is trapped beneath the island and the fact he's been there for three thousand years.

15. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

It's always nice to see Conner and Themescyria! This looks to be fun.

Bud-E likes this.
  16. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

You ran through a dream storm when you had a copy of the key to the tower's front door in your pocket the whole time.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

To be fair, the key probably wouldn't have worked and Quinn may have noticed it much more easily.

18. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

It's also not inconceivable that Quinn changed out the metaphorical locks, even before considering any possible differences between this universe's Fate and the Demon Universe's Fate.

To say nothing of the fact that Quinn would have had access to the records of that debacle and could have read that OL had a spare Fate, slightly used.

19. Threadmarks: Cidicide
    Mr Zoat

17th October 2009
    21:22 GMT -5

Komand'r twists her head around on my chest so that she can look me in the eyes, a mildly perturbed expression on her face.

"Do you think we've..?"

She hesitates, her frown deepening.

I raise my eyebrows, arms wrapping a little tighter around her torso as we lie on the sofa. "We've..?"

"Gotten… Boring."

"I can't say I've ever tried to live my life on the basis of how interesting it would be to read about."

I raise my gaze to look around our living room. Photographs of our wedding, our friends and our son decorate the surfaces, my skull collection having been relocated to my athenaeum. A few of Alikand'r's toys have been left on the floor were they fell, but other than that it's a fairly normal upper class living room. Nothing to suggest that it's home to a couple of galaxy-renowned bounty hunters. Is.. that what she means?

"If you don't like the decorations-?"

"No, not the-." She sighs, the back of her head falling back onto my chest. "It's-. When was the last time we killed someone?"

"Two days ago."

She frowns. "Was it?"

"Toyman?" Her frown deepens. "He had those giant windup soldiers-."

"Oh him." She considers the matter, and her frown deepens further. "Why didn't I remember that? It was only a couple of days ago."

"If tamaranean brains work like human brains, it's probably because it didn't stand out."

Her brow relaxes a little. "What do you mean?"

"We've killed a lot of people, right?"

"Yeah?"

"So the first time you kill someone, that's a big deal. But after that, you're just repeating yourself. It's not a new experience so your brain doesn't encode it in the same way."

"You mean…" She relaxes very slightly into my chest. "It feels like we've been doing less fighting lately, but actually..?"

I smile, shifting my calves across her thighs-.

"No, seriously, not-. 'Fighting' each other." She tilts her head back again so that she's looking at me upside down. "It's bothering me."

I nod, then generate a construct time/kills line graph in the air in front of us. There're troughs and peaks, but the average is relatively consistent month on month.

"Slightly fewer assassinations and slightly more mass killings, but the total hasn't actually changed much."

"So they're.. just not memorable enough."

"That's one way of putting it. But it's more about how new an experience is than absolute quality. Even if the fight is amazing, there isn't all that much difference between an amazing fight and a mundane one. After a while they all sort of blur together-."

"And I keep wondering where all the time went. Because it passes without me really making any new memories." She move her arms so that they're laying on mine. "Huh."

"Basically. But that's… Pretty normal. When you're young everything is new, and then as you get older you learn what sort of things you like doing and start doing that more."

"But then you're just doing the same kind of thing and not anything that's going to stick in your brain." Her face creases. "So that's it? We either make ourselves miserable or stop being able to remember things?"

"Do you remember last time you read to Alikand'r?"

"Yeah, that was about.. three hours ago. I read him The Very Hungry Caterpillar." She wrinkles her nose. "Human children's books are weird."

"And before that?"

"The farm book. The one with the pop-up animals. I remember-."

She jerks up into a sitting position, pushing my legs aside as she twists around to face me.

"I thought my brain was going to stop.. sabotaging me after I gave birth." Her eyes narrow and glow faintly. "Have you gotten me pregnant again? I said, one!"

I sit up, wrap my arms around Koriand'r's back and then fall back, pulling her face into the crook of my neck.

"No, the mood swing you had when you were pregnant is… Something I'm never going to forget, and it wasn't like this. This is actually normal. For humans, as well as tamaraneans."

"So we're just… Normal?"

"Normal for us. Or… Stable. I mean, is there anything in our life that you don't like?"

She opens her mouth to reply, then closes it again, thinking deeply.

"All your enemies in Vega are dead. Tamaran is rebuilding. Your other enemies are dead or cowed into compliance. You have me and Alikand'r. Did we miss anyone you hate?"

"I don't think so. Unless I got so used to hating that I forgot someone."

"Okay then. What is it that you don't have that you still want?"

"It's not about being in a good place objectively. Right? I-." She lifts her head up to do a quick check of the room. "I love you and Alikand'r. And I want to make sure that he has the childhood I didn't get."

"I want him to have the childhood you didn't get too."

She inhales deeply, then exhales sharply.

"Okay. I want to do more fighting, but fighting I'll actually remember. Different fighting. Does Earth have fighting tournaments?"

"So many fighting tournaments. But most of them don’t let aliens or people with superpowers take part."

"Underground fighting tournaments?"

"They'd be more likely to run away than fight us. We've got a bit of a reputation."

"Then-. Where are we supposed to get memorable fights?"

19th October 2009
    09:02 GMT -5

"So, um."

On the opposite sofa, Blue Beetle looks like he's really regretting offering to do these interviews. Next to me, Komand'r smiles and gives my hand a light squeeze. This should deal with her problem nicely.

"What do you think you'd bring to the Justice League?"

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  20. thepsyborg

thepsyborg Not too sore, are you?

Ohhhkay that's fucking hysterical.

21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So the Enlightened Rage Lantern is the one with the most...evolved family life? And a kid?
    Yeah, okay

"Fellow citizen! Do you wish to join the League to fight for Truth, Justice and an arbitrarily idealised american way?!?!"

"Nah, just bored"

"Oh..."

22. Darth.Bill

Darth.Bill Versed in the lewd.

Why is he holding Starfire's hand? I thought he was with Blackfire?

mauke, Assblaster5000, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  23. Pez

Pez Spaceman

D'awwww! Murder-love is best love!

24. NameOrdane

NameOrdane Lurker: The Socially Awkward

Should be Komand'r right?

mauke and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"Her face"

26. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

"A body count bigger than any of your rogues gallery."

27. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

Somehow enlightenment of the most extreme emotion is the most stabilizing effect on Paul. It's not like he even had a better support structure or loved ones. Others have that as well. But he is much more put together than most. In particular Paragon is still somewhat a mess.

28. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I don't think Paragon is a mess. Really if I could get orange enlightenment I totally would. Just because other people are usually uncertain or conflicted doesn't mean not being so means you are a mess. If anything it means the opposite.

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Raul. Or old friend, the Enlightened Red lantern Paul, stuck in the world of the first Teen Titans cartoon (since if it had been TT-GO!, the whole would would be dead by now.) I expect his relationship with Blackfire has matured considerably since last we saw him.

Yup, matured considerably. The old Komand'r might well have preferred to be dead before being so... Domestic.

And more often than not, the interesting bits of a story only tend to cover a few hours, unless it involves a long adventuring journey or a long, multi-day event. Like the first 'Avengers' movie, which outside of the pre-title bit, covers more or less twelve hours total.

'Ally', eh? Wonder if he'll become a superhero named 'Edge-fire', because his parents are black and red. :p

I mean, even if the Ring isn't all that helpful, it can still keep track of things, even if asking it gets a response like being slapped in the brain.

I can't imagine Kal-El was too happy about that one. Sure, the original animated Toyman is an arsehole, but we are talking about the big blue boy-scout.

Yeah, getting to tear apart giant robots probably gets boring after a while. And the man himself would likely not have been a great physical threat.

Ah, bonding over a shared love of multiple and mass homicides.

In humans, sure. Tamaraneans probably don't even make that much more effort.

Ah, the inelegant tangle of sharing a couch.

Which is impressive. I would expect some decline, just out of people fleeing in fear of you. I guess the murdering business is good.

Don't take that as a challenge to get creative with your kills, there's no points system.

There's only so many ways you can punch an asshole's heart out through his spine, after all.

Unless those things are really noteworthy, yeah. Such is life. :rolleyes:

You ain't seen the half of it, ma'am. Wait until he's old enough to get obsessed with bodily functions.

Ah, if only it were an edition of 'Where is my Cow?'. Can you imagine her doing all the animal noises?

I mean, unless you abstain completely or use some potent contraception... It'll probably happen.

Yeah, a bright, cheerful and super-happy Komand'r was... Quite an experience.

Since compared to the average human, neither of them are within line of sight of normal.

Good to hear that second one. I expect both princesses are still tooling around Earth, though? I can't see Koriand'r ditching the Titans.

After all, getting it shouldn't be too hard.

Yeah, that's not a fate you'd wish on anyone.

...I'm sure there's a super-powered promotion or two floating around. Whether they're legal, that's another question...

Good luck finding one willing to work with you.

...That depends on if you're willing to revise your preferred level of lethality

Heh, someone feeling a little intimidated?

Watch out, giant robots! the Black and Red are coming for you! :p

Heh. That was amusing. That contrast of domestic bliss and a natural-born killer's boredom. Let's just hope Komand'r can tone down her level of violence for the more restrained members of the Justice League Unlimited of America. She'll probably get along swimmingly with warriors like Hawkwoman and Wonder Woman, though. Especially if she brings Ally to team meetings... :p

I smile, shifting my calves across her thighs-.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022