1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

My Life As An SI In King Viserys' Court

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by IEatBabies423, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Threadmarks: Baelon I
    IEatBabies423

IEatBabies423 Getting out there.

I have no idea if I'm doing this right so please correct me if failed.

I stood by my sister and mother as we watched a large beautiful red dragon land in our courtyard at Runestone. A tall man stepped off and removed the dragon winged helmet he wore, showing his handsome face to the world and letting his silver hair flow.

My mother scoffed beside me.

I took a moment to study the man's features as he approached my sister and I, though not before he cast a dirty look my mother's way.

Daemon was the most handsome man I had seen in this life, short as it had been, or the one before it and was prettier than most women; only my mother had him beat.

He was tall and strong but more lean than muscular. His eyes a dark purple and on his lips was a confident smirk. My father wore a black gambeson with a red three headed dragon on the front and on his hip hung Dark Sister.

He stopped in front of me and spoke Valyrian, almost too quickly for me to catch and I knew my sister didn't understand a word of it. It was only thanks to how simple what he said truly was that I caught it at all, truth be told.

"How have you been my son?" He had a faint look of what I thought was pride on his face as he spoke and I was reminded again of how different this Daemon was from what I expected.

I had been born into this world almost four years ago now, the younger of a set of twins.

I had screamed and cried when I came into the world and hadn't been able to stop until I was firmly wrapped in my mother's arms and drinking from her.

Everything had felt so loud and bright and cold that I don't think I even understood what had happened. Though that didn't last for long.

I had died and realized pretty quickly where I was. They spoke English thankfully enough and there were only so many people that a silver haired purple eyed man named Daemon who wore a black tunic with a red dragon could be after all.

My father had proclaimed my name to be Baelon and my sister's Alyssa. He seemed happy in those days, not that he often was seriously angry around me or my sister anyway. But it was the happiest I had ever seen my father and mother be while in the same room together.

My father had only been 16 at the time and my mother 22 but both seemed enamored with the idea of children of their own. Perhaps they thought that with these children they'd be able to make their marriage work and eventually they could find love for each other. But my father and mother had thought the same when I had been born in my previous life and the result was hardly different here.

The two just weren't compatible and neither wished to be married to the other. My mother thought Daemon too arrogant and immature and my father thought his wife overbearing and boring.

The Rogue Prince stayed in Runestone for the first 2 months after my birth, partially to see if any dragons would hatch from the eggs he had given us and partly due to how in love he was with holding something he had created.

It was said constantly of my sister and I that we took after our father a great deal. My sister had his eyes and I had his hair and we both had his complexion.
    But we did not take after the prince completely. My sister had the black hair of our mother while my eyes were much brighter than her and father's dark purple, a lavender so bright it looked almost pink in the correct lighting.

Neither of our eggs ended up hatching, a fact which dampened Daemon's enthusiasm slightly but not by much. When we were two months old he took us flying for the first time, a short ride on Caraxes around Runestone.

"My mother did this when I was your age," he always spoke to us wistfully and slowly in Valyrian those days.

Alyssa had taken to flying like a natural, making little sounds reminiscent of giggles and smiling the whole time. I on the other hand had been terrified, though I have to admit it was by far the most exhilarating thing I'd done in either of my lives.

Mother had been the angriest I had ever seen her when we had landed. She ripped into Daemon calling him an irresponsible child and yelling at him to leave and not come back.

The prince had looked genuinely upset by her yelling and I believe that to be the moment they truly realized that they didn't belong together.

Daemon was a sixteen year old boy, young and spoiled who dreamed of nothing but flying and winning battles and glory for his grandfather, father, and brother. Rhea was a woman six years his senior who already understood that her father was rapidly aging and that she, and by extension her children, were his only clear heirs.

It was like trying to put a sophomore in highschool together with someone who had already gone through college and worked a full time job. They just weren't compatible.

"My mother died when I was young," Daemon had said the night before he left, speaking to two babies who he believed wouldn't understand a word he said, the only ones who would listen and the only ones he would tell, "I wish to be a good father more than I've wished for anything before, but I won't take you away from your mother.

I'll come visit as often as the bitch will have me and take you riding when I can. Goodbye for now Alyssa," The boy wiped away unshed tears as he said my sister's name and gained a faraway look as he often did when speaking to her, as if trying to remember something you weren't sure even happened, "Goodbye Baelon."

The Rogue Prince made good on his promise to visit and always made a trip at least once a month. As he grew older he became more like the Daemon I would have expected but always was gentle with my sister and I, though he had never been allowed to take us riding again.

"I have been well father, though I have missed you," I spoke in slightly accented Valyrian, and it was true, for all Daemon's faults he had always been good to my sister and I.

He smiled down at me and ruffled my hair before turning to my sister and pulling her into a hug asking her the same question to which she responded much the same as I in her own heavier accented Valyrian.

"Should you not approach the heir to the castle before her children, Prince Daemon?" My mother cut into the conversation though not unkindly.

"Not when her children are a prince and princess," The Rogue Prince responded, rolling his eyes.

"And what brings another Prince of the Blood to my humble castle?"

At that question Daemon's mood soured.

"My father is on his deathbed," The prince said solemnly, "I would have my children see him again before he leaves us."

My mother's eyes widened at that before softening. No doubt she wondered the same thing everyone else was wondering, who would be the heir now?

I had met my Targaryen grandfather and great-grandfather along with other members of my family only once, when mother and my Royce grandfather had brought my sister and I to King's Landing for the tourney celebrating my great-grandfather's 50th year on the throne.

Had I actually been the one year old I was supposed to be at the time I likely wouldn't remember them but as it stood I did.

Baelon the Brave seemed to be who I took most of my looks from. At least, we had the same eye and hair color. He had been big, strong, and charming. He was quick to laugh and happy to have three grandchildren around him.

The Old King had been old even when I met him three years ago but he had been wise and charming and he too seemed happy with having more of his family around him.

Good Queen Alysanne was graceful and quick witted even at her old age. She had delighted in spoiling her young grandchildren and I would have liked to see her again however she had died the year prior.

The Velaryon side of the family had been bitter that Rhaenys had been passed over even then and so refused to attend.

There had been other Targaryens there but not many and none who had lived to see Baelon die.

"How long does he have?" Mother asked, her eyes soft.

"He was in bad shape when I left. The Grand Maester said he had less than 3 days," The Prince replied.

"You plan to use your dragon then?" Beside me Alyssa took in a deep breath and turned to me with a thousand watt smile, latching onto my arm. I'm not sure how much of the conversation she understood but she definitely got that Daemon planned on flying us somewhere.

"Of course," The Rogue Prince replied sharply, "It has been too long since they have flown. No child of the Blood should be afraid to step foot near a dragon."

My mother seemed worried but unwilling to deny my father the right to take his children to their dying grandfather, "I would have them stay for the funeral then," My father seemed suprised but touched by his 'Bronze Bitch' and nodded her his thanks.

Daemon turned sharply and yelled at a servant nearby, "Your Prince and Princess will need clothes for the next fortnight, go and fetch them."

He turned back to us and ruffled the two of our hair again.

"The journey is going to be hard. The two of you probably don't even remember the last time you flew and now you'll be flying all the way to King's Landing," He was back to speaking Valyrian now.

"We will be fine father," I did my best to assure him, "We are your children, after all."

With those words the Rogue Prince was smiling and practically beaming down at me.

Flattery never hurt anybody.
    -
    A/N
    So there's that. Let me know what you thought and anything you think I can improve on.

I don't have a beta reader so feel free to point out any grammar mistakes or spelling issues or just things that don't read smoothly, somethings are bown to fall through the cracks. Also feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Let me know what you think and the next chapter will be out Wednesday.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  2. krahe

krahe Versed in the lewd.

Looks good so far, kind of wholesome. It's Game of Thrones, tho, everything will go right down the shitter very quick

Ulysses, Ahtu, Baalzar and 4 others like this.
  3. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

It's got the Game of Thrones tag, but it also has an ASOIAF tag. Which one is it, or is it a mix of the two?

4. IEatBabies423

It's going to be a mix though it's about the Dance and I haven't actually watched any of HotD besides the first episode yet so things from the books such as age and appearance will take precedent of those things in the show. Though many characters, such as Rhea Royce, are talked about with no description of what they are like or look like, in these cases I will look towards the show for inspiration.

5. Threadmarks: Alyssa I
    IEatBabies423

Alyssa giggled and shrieked as her father made his dragon do complex twirls and dives through the sky. She had never been as happy as she was in that moment, strapped to her father's chest and pressed between him and Baelon who himself was strapped to the dragon's back. Her father was smiling and cheering just as much as her, though Baelon was strangely silent.

"Are you not enjoying yourself, my son?" It seemed that father had noticed Baelon's mood as well.

"I am father," her brother replied though his voice shook, "But this is the first time I've ever rode a dragon," That was true but Alyssa had no clue what it had to do with how quiet he was being. After all, it was her first time too.

"Your second time," father corrected him and Alyssa found herself wondering when he had rode a dragon before and why he hadn't decided to tell her, "There is no reason to be afraid, Baelon. Nobody can harm you while Caraxes and your father are near." Alyssa agreed with him on that.

Caraxes was massive, big enough to carry all three of them and her and Baelon's clothes and looked very ferocious. She couldn't imagine anything challenging him, especially not with her father around.

Despite how big and ferocious Caraxes was her father said that even he could not fly straight to the capital from their home, because of that they were forced to land at a scary castle for the night where Alyssa saw more dragons than she ever dreamed of.

Father hadn't let her watch them for long before putting the siblings to sleep however. Even though she was angry with him for taking her away he was right that she was tired, she fell asleep the moment her head hit the pillow.

The castle was as scary during the day as it was at night but it wasn't all bad, the servants there called her 'princess' and her brother 'prince' while serving them a massive breakfast and dressing them in beautiful black clothes with red dragons styled on the front and back. Back home those things only happened when important people like Jeyne were visiting.

Alyssa had pouted when the servants went about brushing her and Baelon's hair, she had always been jealous that he had been gifted with their father's pretty silver while Alyssa was cursed with the boring black hair of their mother.

Though she supposed Baelon had to get something of their father's. After all, everyone always said that Alyssa had her father's eyes, mouth, nose, and brow. The inverse was true for her brother, his face resembled their mothers greatly and his eyes had been lightened by her pale blue.

Despite how comfortable it was they weren't allowed to stay in the castle long as father strapped them back on to Caraxes and started the second half of the flight to the capitol.

Now that Alyssa had stopped yelling and laughing her father had too went silent for a while, Alyssa was old enough to realise it was one of those silences that Baelon said shouldn't be broken and so she kept quiet.

"With father dying Vhagar will be riderless," Father said eventually and joy flooded Alyssa's chest, she was smart enough to understand where this was going, "Once the two of you turn seven or eight I would take you to try your hand at taming her."

Alyssa didn't try to stop herself from pouting, "Why can't we tame her now?" She knew she sounded spoiled but Baelon and her father often listened to her more when she did.

Father didn't answer for a moment and she feared she had said something wrong, she looked down at her brother but his eyes were focused on father's face.

"You're too young," he said finally, "I had wished to claim a dragon when I was your age as well but it is too dangerous," Alyssa felt tears start to burn at her eyes but she tried to hide them, Baelon would be disappointed if she cried over something small like this.

"Do not cry, my little dragon," Her father said sweetly, wiping away at her wet eyes, "I won't make you wait too long."

Something dark crossed over her father's face and when he spoke next it was with what Baelon called his 'Rogue' voice, "Someone might steal her if I do."

Alyssa didn't know what he was talking about but she knew better than to talk to him when he got like this.

She was quiet the rest of the ride.

-

When the three of them arrived in the capital, father hadn't allowed them to eat, change, or even brush their hair before taking them straight to their grandfather.

Alyssa had been surprised to hear that she had another grandfather and was confused as to why anyone would want to make such a long trip just to have others meet him.

She didn't dislike her grandfather back home but he wasn't as nice as her father and he didn't listen to and teach her like brother did. He wasn't mean but he had never picked her up or wrapped her in a hug. Part of that was due to how often he spent in his bed, Alyssa figured.

Though, this grandfather had allowed for Alyssa and Baelon to ride upon Caraxes and look at many other dragons so she was fairly certain he was better than her old one.

The city that they eventually arrived in was the largest she had ever seen, it was at least two times the size of Gulltown!

Father landed Caraxes in a courtyard and ordered food and water be brought for the tired dragon before ushering them away.

Eventually he had decided that Baelon and her weren't moving fast enough and picked them up, carrying them to a room with a man in white armor standing in front of the door. The man didn't try to stop them and simply let her father through.

Once the door had been opened her father seemed to realise that he had spent that last day and half riding on a dragon and tried to straighten out his hair and clothes before walking in.

Inside the room a man who looked much like her father laid in a bed covered in blankets, though Alyssa noticed that he had the same hair and eyes as Baelon. The man had wrinkles around his eyes and mouth though they did little to detract from his good looks.

Beside his bed a man bigger than her father, though not taller than him, stood. He had pale violet eyes though not as light as her brother's or the man on the bed's. His hair was more golden than silver and was cut shorter than her father's and on his face he had a mustache where her father was clean shaven.

Alyssa didn't think the man standing beside the bed was anywhere close to as nice looking as her father or the man on the bed. Beside her Baelon grabbed her hand and squeezed.

The man beside the bed said something quickly to father that Alyssa didn't quite catch and father responded in Valyrian, saying something she didn't understand.

The man on the bed pushed himself up and a smile spread across his face at the sight of the three of them.

"You probably don't remember your grandfather, children," the man beside the bed said and he was right that Alyssa didn't but Baelon probably did. He never seemed to forget anything, "It's okay, you can come and speak with him," He smiled gently at Alyssa and she began to pull Baelon towards their grandfather, he always had been the more nervous of the two when around new people.

Once they reached the bed the man extended his hand and Alyssa took it hesitantly, "I am your grandfather," he said slowly and softly as though speaking to a scared cat, "My name is Baelon. What about you?" Alyssa was put off to find out this strange and weak man had the same name as her brother but she didn't forget her manners.

"I'm Alyssa Targaryen and this is my brother Baelon Targaryen," she replied in as clear a voice as she could just as mother had taught her, "Why are you named after my brother?" She was allowed to ask questions now that she had been properly introduced.

All the men in the room laughed and Alyssa's cheeks grew red as she realized that they were laughing at her. She was just about to yell at the strange men when her brother grabbed her shoulder and spoke, "It's the other way around, Alyssa. I'm named after him."

She felt slightly embarrassed for asking a question that seemed dumb to the men but when Baelon explained things to her he didn't make her feel stupid the way the septons and maesters sometimes did. He simply smiled at her and responded as though what she said was perfectly reasonable.

Baelon had known more about everything than Alyssa did since she could remember and always did what he could to teach her. In return Alyssa brought him into games with the other children when he was too scared to do anything but sit inside and read.

The man on the bed, Baelon supposedly, broke off her thoughts as he reached down and lifted her onto the bed, still chuckling, "Not only is your brother named after me but you are named after my wife."

Alyssa rolled her eyes at that. Of course she knew that she was named after her grandmother, her father told her stories of her whenever he visited.

"This one has some spirit to her," her grandfather laughed again before placing her back on the ground, "I'm glad to have met you, Alyssa Targaryen," he said and for a moment looked much like father did when he spoke of grandmother.

Alyssa wondered what she could gave possibly done to make her father and now her grandfather scared and emotional to even say her name.

Father reached down and lifted Baelon onto the bed next to Baelon. Alyssa giggled at the thought.

She stopped paying attention to what they were saying and instead walked out onto the balcony to watch over the city. Shortly after she was joined by her brother though he paid more attention to what the men were saying than the game she tried to drag him into.

Viserys and Daemon were speaking low in fast Valyrian that Alyssa wouldn't have understood fully even if she tried to pay attention but Baelon seemed engrossed in whatever they were saying so she tried to understand as well.

They were saying something about cousins, claims, and dragons though for every word Alyssa understood there were 10 she didn't.

Baelon often got like this when the adults forgot that the two of them were there. Personally Alyssa always thought those conversations boring and she knew if anything important was said in them then Baelor would end up telling her anyway, so she looked back down across the city.

"Enough!" The man on the bed interrupted her daydreams of dragons, "I won't spend my last days hearing my sons plot against my uncles and nieces. Daemon, take your children and eat with Viserys, Aemma, and Rhaenyra. I'm sure they are hungry after their trip and wish to see someone their own age," Alyssa was surprised, nobody ever spoke that way to father besides mother.

"Understood, father. I will bring the children around again tomorrow," Alyssa was even more surprised by her father's reaction, he always fought mother when she spoke like that.

"I will look forward to it," Baelon the Boring replied with a warm smile towards Alyssa and her brother.

Despite not knowing him for very long Alyssa found herself thinking that she liked this grandfather more than her other one and was actually quite excited to see him in the morning and play with him once he got better from whatever was keeping him in bed.

-

A/N

The original schedule for this book was supposed to be every Sunday and Wednesday but I've decided that's a dumb schedule so from now on you can expect a chapter every Monday and Friday. Though technically a chapter was posted on early Monday on this site so just take this as an extra chapter.

For those of you who have only watched the House of the Dragon and Game of Thrones TV show this story takes place 2 years before the first episode, less than a year before the council shown at the start.

I'm using book ages and descriptions here though, if things are left ambiguous in the books (which they often are for anyone not a main character) I might look to the show for reference. That means that rather than being a seemingly teenage girl in the first episode of the show Rhaenyra would be only 8 if those events take place here.

It's mentioned in passing here but in the Vale Baelon and Alyssa are referred to as Lord and Lady Royce by most servants, though prince and princess by their fellow lords. So yes, Baelon is heir to Runestone though with how quickly the Targaryens are dying they are more important as prince and princess, and thus possible heirs to the kingdom.

Now I'm going to go and try watching the next three episodes of the HotD, I've always been more of a book, wiki, and fanfic than TV show kinda guy and I find TV shows hard to keep interested in but I thought the first episode was amazing so I hope the rest continues that way.

Next chapter will be on its way Friday.

6. shakeval

shakeval Versed in the lewd.

It's got the pokemon tag, but it also has the pokemon 2000 movie tag, which is it?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    LandWhale172 and CubSkout like this.
  7. RichardWhereat

It has neither, and Pokemon 2000 doesn't change the story or devalue the locations or characters of Pokemon.

IEatBabies423 likes this.
  8. shakeval

shakeval Versed in the lewd.

it ate my quote, ive editted it back in

9. RichardWhereat

I know what you were saying, which is why I said what I said. GoT is the inferior knock off, whereas the 2000 movie was just a continuation of a great adaptation.

DemiurgeMal likes this.
  10. Shortex12

Shortex12 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

I’ve been waiting for a dance of dragons fic

11. Love_Monger

Love_Monger Getting sticky.

Looks interesting

12. Threadmarks: Baelon II
    IEatBabies423

"Who could possibly have a claim as great as yours," My father asked, sounding frustrated.

"Laenor Velaryon is the grandson of the king's oldest son," Viserys was quick to point out.

"Laenor is a child."

"A child dragonrider."

"This 'dragonrider' rides upon a hatchling no larger than a mut," My father was quick to dismiss, "It won't be ready for war for many years still, much like the boy who rides upon its back."

"That boy's mother rides a dragon comparable in size to your own Caraxes. Not to mention that he has the full treasury and fleet of the Velaryons behind him along with all the men of the Baratheons. They have King's Landing surrounded, while we have no natural allies save for the mother of your children."

"We need no allies," My father scoffed, "Jaehaerys will name you his heir and all the lords in the realm will flock to you even if Rhaenys attempts to push the claim of a seven year old."

"And if they don't?" Viserys asked, "If he doesn't?"

"The father of my Bronze Bitch is Lord Protector of the Vale and Warden of the East, he could-" But my father didn't get to finish before Viserys cut him off.

"He can't and won't. If he even tried to pull something like that then he wouldn't be Warden of the East for much longer."

My father was quiet and I took that to mean he agreed. Beside me Alyssa pulled at my arm but I hushed her.

"Vaegon is Jaehaerys' last remaining son," Viserys at least seemed to realize that nothing new could be added to the discussion on Rhaenys and Laenor.

"He has been in the Citadel for too long. He has no allies and no dragons. He has no claim. Even if grandfather wished to name him, he is forty years old and isn't even married," My father dismissed him easily as well and this time it wasn't hard for Viserys to nod his agreement.

"We have an aunt still living besides Jocelyn."

Daemon outright laughed, "The whore? The woman Jaehaerys disinherited because she fucked her way through all her sworn swords and ladies in waiting?" By this point Alyssa had given up on dragging me into whatever game she was playing and was instead looking over the city.

"In the end Laenor is my only true rival," Viserys said, putting his head into his hands.

"Grandfather will name you heir, Viserys," My father assured his brother, "After that let Rhaenys attempt to put her son on the throne and I will fly Caraxes directly to Storm's End, we will see how loyal Boremund remains with a dragon burning his keep."

"Enough!" Alyssa startled next to me as Baelon cried out from the bed, "I won't spend my last days hearing my sons plot against my uncles and nieces. Daemon, take your children and eat with Viserys, Aemma, and Rhaenyra. I'm sure they are hungry after their trip and wish to see someone their own age."

"Understood, father. I will bring the children around again tomorrow," Daemon bowed and leaned forward to hug his father with Viserys following soon after.

It seemed odd to me how disconnected Alyssa and I were from the conversation. One would think that a dad would wish for his children to spend all the time they could with their grandfather before he passed, my mother had in my first life, but both Baelon and Daemon seemed content with the handful of words passed between us.

"I will look forward to it," Baelon replied with a bright smile towards Alyssa.

With that father was ushering us out of the room, Viserys not far behind.

A Kingsguard fell into step behind us as we left while one stayed behind at Baelon's door. The man was old and bald with grey eyes, he looked at least sixty to me and moved as you would expect a man his age in full armor to move

"If you still worry about Rhaenys then don't brother," Daemon spoke up as we walked, "Jaehaerys passed her over once already, he will do so again."

My father's assurances seemed to do at least something to reassure Viserys as his shoulders relaxed and his face calmed.

I wouldn't call Viserys handsome or beautiful like my father or Baelon the Brave. He had some pudge on him and wasn't as tall as Daemon who stood at least six feet. He also had a mustache. He was however pleasant to look at and honestly rocked his dad bod.

After sometime Viserys left us and Daemon brought Alyssa and I to a room we would be sharing, I'm sure we could have had our own rooms but Alyssa would rather be with me at her side while we slept. She snuck into my room so much at Runestone that we practically shared anyway.

"While we are in the capital I will need to find someone to protect you, I can't be at your side at all times," At most times in the Vale my sister and I were protected by our cousin Sir William Royce, the wielder of Lamentation, though for obvious reasons he wasn't with us now.

"Stay in your room for now, I'll send some servants to draw a bath and dress you for dinner in a moment," With that our father was gone.

"What did you think of our grandfather Baelon?" Alyssa asked.

"He was nice enough, though he didn't seem particularly happy to see us," I suppose being on a deathbed changes people. The Baelon I knew had loved his grandchildren well.

"He looked a lot like you," Alyssa giggled, "He even had your name."

I hummed as I continued to explore the room we had been given. It was larger than our's back in Runestone with two separate rooms diverging from the main room which had a table with chairs to take meals and a desk to answer letters and do work. Off to the left was a room with a tub and not much else and to the right was a bed and dressers.

"What were father and the other man talking about, Baelon?"

"Boring things. Nothing a young princess like you needs to worry about," I replied, testing the softness of the bed and sheets, they were better quality than in Runestone as everything seemed to be.

"Tell me!" Alyssa pulled on my arm with all the strength of a four year old girl and turned me around to see her pouting face.

"Stop that, a princess shouldn't pout," She didn't stop, "They spoke of who would become king after Jaehaerys passes."

"Won't the king's son become king?" I smiled at her innocent question.

"The king's last son is currently on his deathbed. He has only grandchildren."

There was a knock at the door, "You may enter," Alyssa spoke up in her most confident voice which was utterly adorable in my opinion.

A few women entered followed by my father and a man dressed in relatively expensive looking armour.

"These are the servants that will take care of you while we stay here," My father said pointing towards the women already filling the bath with warm water and the dressers with clothes, "And this is Ser Steffon Darklyn, he is a gift from your grandfather. Ser Steffon was a man in the guard of the crown prince and now he is yours."

"It will be an honor to continue serving a Prince of the Blood," Ser Steffon seemed to be around the age of my father, though not as tall and not as pretty, he was handsome with a strong jaw. He had grey eyes and brown hair and was clean shaven with a sword on his hip.

"You will be serving a princess as well," I pointed out and my sister puffed out her chest as much as she could with a happy look upon her face.

"Of course, my prince, my apologies princess," Ser Steffon bowed low and spoke humbly. I decided I liked him.

"I will be back again later, we have been invited to dinner with the rest of the royal family," That made me slightly nervous but my father put that to rest, "Don't worry, it's not as though the Velaryons will be there," He laughed at his own joke and Alyssa began to laugh as well though she didn't understand.

Before long my father was gone once again and the bath was full of water, "All of you out, my sister and I are more than capable of washing ourselves," The servants looked hesitant but followed after Ser Steffon who was on his way out from the moment I stated my order. I had never been okay with any servants washing either Alyssa or I as the servants in Runestone knew.

Alyssa stripped naked and soon after so did I before sinking into the bath. I was sure to wash Alyssa's hair with as much care as I could and she… well she was only four.

Before long I had Alyssa and myself dressed and ordered a servant to enter and help to make sure our clothes were in the best state possible before heading to dinner with the king.

-

Father came back to our room after a few hours of Alyssa and I sitting around talking about whatever came to mind, which in Alyssa's case was often dragons.

There were two young Kingsguard protecting the door to the small dining hall which the royal family would be meeting in and as we walked in I was quick to notice we were the last to arrive and the least well dressed, though nobody seemed offended thankfully enough. Daemon had made the meeting out to be casual though it was clearly more formal.

At the head of the table sat an old man with a long beard and white hair that might have been just as much due to his age as his heritage. His eyes were the common purple of House Targaryen and you couldn't ignore how tired they looked. More than likely he was handsome in his youth but now he was pale and thin and was much like I would imagine Gandalf or Dumbledore looking.

Behind him stood another two members of the Kingsguard, though these two were much older than ones in front of the door. One was dornish and slim while the other was pale and built like a bull.

To Jaehaerys' right sat Viserys and beside him was a rather adorable child, she had the best of the Targaryen features. Her eyes weren't light like mine and my grandfather's nor were they dark like my sister and father's but were perfect amethysts, a haunting color. Her curly hair was the perfect mix of gold and silver and was pulled into a long braid and she was dressed in the finest clothes I had ever seen, not even Jaehaerys' own robes compared. She could only be Rhaenyra Targaryen.

To the left of Rhaenyra was a young woman who must have been her mother, her hair was long and golden and her eyes blue. She was pretty, though with the other women I had recently been exposed to I would hesitate to call her beautiful. She was thin and willowy and couldn't be older than twenty but she had sat gracefully.

Across from Jaehaerys was a man with the traditional Targaryen looks dressed in the robes of a Maester. He was frail and had a long face and was the only Targaryen I had met that I did not consider beautiful in their own right.

Father escorted Alyssa and I to Jaehaerys' side where he introduced us, "This is Alyssa and Baelon, your great grandchildren, grandfather," Daemon said bowing slightly at the waist, a move which I was quick to copy and Alyssa followed our example.

"Yes, I remember my grandchildren, Daemon," The old man chuckled slightly but it didn't reach his eyes, "Another Baelon. I'm sure you will grow to be just as brave as the last."

"Thank you, your grace," I didn't look at the Old King and instead kept my eyes pointed towards the ground.

He turned to Alyssa who did not share my nervous air, "You are very old," She proclaimed suddenly. I put my hand on her shoulder quickly to scold her but Jaehaerys just waved it off with a laugh.

"It would seem this one already takes from her namesake well," Jaehaerys continued to smile and chuckle, though it seemed more real this time.

"Sit down already, Daemon, we have spent enough time waiting for you already," Viserys eventually spoke up and my father brought us to the left side of Jaehaerys, himself sitting next to the Old King with myself across from Rhaenyra and Alyssa next to me.

Before long servants had food brought in and the table devolved into separate conversations. Daemon and Viserys were doing their best to subtly needle Jaehaerys about the next heir while Aemma and Vaegon were speaking of the latter's time in the Citadel.

My self of course, being physically four years of age, was stuck talking to the other four year olds who seemed destined to argue over every small thing they spoke of.

"You've rode a dragon?" Rhaenyra seemed very excited by the idea and honestly I don't blame her, "Do you think uncle could take me?"

But Alyssa scoffed, "You're not yet mature enough to ride a dragon, isn't that right Baelon?" Alyssa attempted once again to bring me into the conversation but unfortunately for her I didn't plan on making enemies with Rhaenyra just yet.

"I'm sure the princess is more than mature enough to ride a dragon, though whether she will or not will be up to her father," Alyssa turned to me with the most betrayed expression I'd ever seen anyone wear upon her face and I could even see her eyes water as Rhaenyra shot her a victorious look.

Honestly the amount that Alyssa was affected by other people's comments was sort of ridiculous even for a child her age.

Of course I didn't tell her anything like that and instead reached over to pull her into my arms and pat her head, "Hush now Alyssa. There's nothing to cry about."

"But you're supposed to be on my side," She muttered into my chest.

"Well clearly he has switched to the winning side then," Rhaenyra was looking entirely too smug.

"No he hasn't," Alyssa's tears had turned to anger now, "He was just trying to save your feelings from the truth. Honestly brother you're too nice sometimes," Alyssa didn't seem to fully agree with her assessment of the situation but was also unwilling to think the reason was anything else.

Things continued with this nature for what must have been an hour before a knock was heard at the door.

"Your grace, Maester Runciter brings a message on prince Baelon's condition."

"Send him in," Was the Old King's immediate answer.

The moment the old man entered the feeling changed. His eyes were somber and his body tired, "I'm sorry, your grace. Your son has died." And with him went the Conciliator's final hopes of one of his children succeeding him.

Oh well, it only leaves me in a better position. From here the true game starts

-

An

The only more on the nose I could have been with that ending is if once Viserys takes the throne I have Baelon say "And so begins my life as an si in King Viserys Court." (Which I absolutely will be doing.)

I consider this chapter to be the end of the 'prologue'. From here forward Baelon will be less of a blank slate and his true personality will be coming out more.

Now if you aren't reading this on AH then this next part might confuse you but on AH there was a large debate on whether or not Baelon would be a Targaryen or a Royce.

I try not to enter debates on my story that have a definitive one or the other answer, as it kills the debate by reason of "the author said" but I will say that Baelon will become a Targaryen. If you completely disagree with that and will no longer read my story because of it then I'm sorry but I believe you to be in the minority.

There were good debates and reasons for both sides but for my story and the character I want Baelon to be he would not even think about giving up the most powerful name in the world for his vassals and mothers family.

I'd appreciate if any I told you so or complaints about how stupid this is are kept to a minimum.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed, new chapter coming Monday.

13. Horus Lupercal

Horus Lupercal Primarch of the Luna Wolves,and the Warmaster

Bye than

RichardWhereat likes this.
  14. VL98

VL98 Getting some practice in, huh?

Thanks for the update mate. Keep up the good work!

15. Winged Mage

Winged Mage Know what you're doing yet?

I hope the SI can claim Vhagar before Laena

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Making the rounds.

Same, I don't see a lot of fics where the SI claims Vhagar.

17. Williams1996

Williams1996 Alba gu bràth

Id prefer he gets Vermithor he looks cool as shit and is his grandfathers the greatest and longest ruling Targ king its just good politically plus a dragon called the bronze fury sounds cool as fuck.

00loner likes this.
  18. Love_Monger

Love_Monger Getting sticky.

I hope baelon claims the Cannibal

00loner and Apogaeus like this.
  19. Threadmarks: Steffon I
    IEatBabies423

"We will need a glorious group of knights to protect us from these savage Dornish, my wife. They shall be named the Kingsguard and will protect us with their lives," The young princess Rhaenyra proclaimed in an adorable attempt at a kingly voice.

"That's not how it went!" Protested Alyssa, "It was Visenya who created the Kingsguard not Aegon," Rhaenyra made to scowl though it was more of a pout on her childish features.

Ser Steffon's young charge had been brought by Rhaenyra to her chambers so they could play Aegon and Visenya. Though the game turned into Aegon, Visenya, and Rhaenys when Alyssa insisted on joining.

Ser Steffon would have thought it would make sense for the only boy to play Aegon but Rhaenyra didn't seem to agree with his conclusion and had insisted on being the Conqueror which ended up with Baelon as the Wielder of Dark Sister. Ser Steffon had been roped into being any of the siblings' various enemies, from Harren the Black King of the Isles, to young Ronnel Arryn the King who Flew, even Meria Martell the Yellow Toad of Dorne.

"I'm the king!" Replied Rhaenyra, "If I want to be the one to make the Kingsguard then I'll be the one to make the Kingsguard! Why are you even still here? You should have left after dying in Dorne."

"Baelon doesn't want me to leave," Alyssa proclaimed, "He enjoys my company."

It was amusing for Ser Steffon to see both young girls turn to the young prince for help only to find him yawning with his face in his hand while staring out the window. It was equally amusing the way both girls shot him sympathetic looks, taking his boredom as support towards their side.

"Even if that were true as I'm the king I could order you away."

"Baelon would come with me if you did," Alyssa declared confidently, "We are twins. We won't ever be separated for long, everyone says so," The statement earned another pout from Rhaenyra and it was all Steffon could do to continue fighting the smile that had been working its way up his face since the children had begun the adorable play.

It was true that the twins were seldom seen apart and anywhere one went in the Red Keep they might hear servants and ladies alike gushing over the young dragons.

Baelon was praised for his maturity, quiet wit, and grace while Alyssa was praised for her charming nature and fearlessness, many claimed that she was in nature the replica of both her father and grandmother. Many of those same people claimed that Baelon was the image of Jaehaerys in his youth.

For most they were seen as a spot of sunshine in an otherwise bleak and fretful capital. Most of what the people said of the 'Bronze Dragons' was even true. Baelon seemed quiet and shy at first glance but it would only take a single conversation with him to notice his intelligence. Much greater than that of any child Ser Steffon had ever met before, not that he had met many.

Those in court who did not know the two well would claim Alyssa had Baelon wrapped around her little finger but Ser Steffon had seen first hand that it went both ways. He knew that the reason for the twins always being in close contact was Alyssa, the young girl would cry if away from her brother for too long and always needed to be reassured and comforted by him.

Luckily for her, Baelon was not like most other four year olds and was capable as well as willing to provide his sister the comfort she sought.

A knock at the door broke Steffon from his thoughts and caused him to take a step forward while the Kingsguard tasked with protecting Rhaenyra, Ser Harrold Westerling, fell back towards their young charges.

"You may enter," Rhaenyra called out as she moved to sit beside Baelon.

Of course Alyssa immediately responded to this by moving to sit on the other side of her brother.

"Have you been having fun, Rhaenyra?" Aemma Arryn entered the room with all the grace expected from a noble lady and Ser Steffon along with Ser Harrold gave her a shallow bow.

"Yes mother, Baelon made a fantastic Visenya. Though our Rhaenys left something to be desired," Rhaenyra, as with much that she said, replied haughtily.

"Oh?" Aemma turned her gaze to Baelon with an amused smile, "Did my Rhaenyra force you into being a woman?"

"I'd rather be Visenya than many of the men alive at the time, my lady," Baelon had a polite smile on his face as he often did while speaking, "Speaking of Visenya is there any news on whether Vhagar has left the capital?" Baelon the Brave had died the night before, and he had kept his dragon Vhagar in the Red Keep alongside Jaehaerys own Vermithor ever since he had been named Hand of the King.

Now that Vhagar was riderless, doing so seemed a foolish idea. The Good Queen Alysanne's dragon Silverwing had also resided in the Keep though it returned to Dragonstone along with the queen years before she died. Now the largest dragon in the world was loose in the capital and there was nothing anyone could do about it. All anyone could hope was that Vhagar would fly back to the volcano at Dragonstone, the place she had been hatched.

"Last I heard Vhagar still resided in the Godswood," Sighed Aemma, "Hopefully she will be gone before she can destroy the Red Keep and all of King's Landing."

Ser Steffon thought that the Targaryens were entirely too calm about the fact a dragon was loose in the capital but it was not his place to question the royal family.

"I wonder if I might visit her," Baelon was looking in the direction of the Godswood and seemed to have no clue just what a startle his words gave the adults in the room, "I imagine she is terribly lonely. Perhaps the company of the son of her rider would do her well."

Ser Steffon could feel his face soften from the boy's innocent words. The prince seemed so much older than he was at times that it was easy to forget he was just a child and didn't fully understand why going near a wild ferocious beast was a bad idea.

"A noble idea, my prince," The Lady Aemma spoke up with a soft smile on his face, "But Vhagar is grieving, she is just as likely to lash out at you as to take your comforts well," Ser Steffon believed that Vhagar was just as likely to eat the boy because she was a wild beast but Aemma's take on things certainly helped to spare his young charge's feelings.

"Vhagar wouldn't hurt Baelon," Protested Rhaenyra, "He is a Targaryen! No dragon would harm him!" For once Alyssa and Rhaenyra seemed united on an issue as the former nodded her agreement.

Aemma fought to find a reply for a moment before answering, "You will need the permission of your mother and father in any case and it isn't likely for them to agree. Now children, you must be getting ready for the funeral."

"Yes mother," Replied Rhaenyra before turning to Baelon and pulling him into a hug, "I will see you soon Bael," Alyssa made a face as though the nickname was sour.

"See you soon Rhaenyra," The prince grabbed his sister's hand and with a slight bow to his cousin the two were on the way to their room.

"Do you really mean to visit Vhagar brother?" Alyssa asked after a moment.

Baelon looked back towards where Ser Steffon was before turning again towards his sister and spoke to her in slow simple Valyrian.

Some rich lords could afford a tutor from the Free Cities to come and teach their children the language and some houses were lucky enough to receive a Maester who spoke it but this was far from common.

It was of course easier for the Targaryens to learn the language seeing as they had family members who could speak it to them. It was said princess Rhaenyra's first sentences were a mix of Common and High Valyrian.

Ser Steffon didn't know a word of High Valyrian however and so didn't understand a word of what was said between the siblings, which of course was Baelon's point.

At least Ser Steffon could make out that Baelon was explaining something to his sister before turning back to Ser Steffon, "I need to speak with my father. Escort my sister to her room and help her to pick out her clothes but do not bathe her or dress her."

"My prince, perhaps I should go and get your father while you escort the princess," Steffon was not eager to leave his young charge alone, even in a place of safety like the Red Keep.

"No. I only need to speak briefly with my father, you will take my sister to her room, Ser," Baelon spoke as commandingly as he could and the expression on his face was obviously an imitation of his father's.

"Be safe, Bael," Alyssa spoke while pulling her brother into a hug.

"I'll be fine Alyssa," Laughed the young prince, "I'm only going to visit father."

"Alys, The princess interrupted, "You should call me Alys."

Her brother looked at her in confusion for a moment before amusement flooded his face, "Alys then," With that the prince was gone though his sister stayed in place.

"If you don't mind my asking, princess, where is your brother actually going?" Alyssa looked shocked that he could possibly doubt her brother's claim and Steffon couldn't help but snort.

"He's going to speak with father," She spoke with all the seriousness of a four year old and turned to walk towards her room.

"Will he be doing something that he shouldn't?"

"No!" Alyssa denied, "Baelon said that father would be happy when he found out."

"I see," Now Ser Steffon had an idea of what Baelon was doing. He thought of whether or not he should attempt to stop the young prince but decided not to.

It wasn't his place to question a Targaryen prince's birth right in claiming a dragon and even if Daemon wouldn't allow it Steffon was Baelon's knight, not his father's.

"In that case we need to get you prepared for the funeral. Perhaps the realm will have reason to celebrate in this bleak time," Or perhaps the time would only get bleaker.

Ser Steffon continued to escort Alyssa to her chambers where a black dress was laid out for her. When the time came that the young princess must have bathed or be dirty for the funeral Baelon still wasn't back and so Ser Steffon ushered the servants out and guarded the door while she bathed herself.

He helped the servants make sure that her clothes fit her right and that her hair was properly brushed and Baelon was still missing. He escorted her towards the Dragon Mount where a small funeral would be held among the Targaryens and close relatives before the smallfolk would be allowed to give respect. Baelon was not there when they arrived.

"Where is my son, ser?" Prince Daemon asked harshly once he realized that the young prince had not been brought along with his sister.

"In truth, my prince, I do not know," Ser Steffon had a decent idea but it was not his place to give up the secrets of his prince.

"You left my son with no guard?" Daemon's voice had gotten low rather than rising and Steffon felt that was more worrying.

"He asked me to escort the princess to her room while he spoke with you, my prince," By now the conversation had drawn the full attention of the other funeral goers.

"Alyssa, my dragon," Daemon turned towards his daughter, still speaking in his low, dangerous tone, "Where has your brother gone?"

"He," Alyssa stuttered over her words, "He wanted to visit the dragon."

The room's reaction to this varied greatly. Rhaenyra had a smirk on her face while her parents looked worried, Daemon had a fierce mix of pride and anger on his face, while only the slightest hint of interest could be seen on the Old King's face.

"And why," Daemon spoke very slowly now, "Did your brother say he wished to visit Vhag-"

A roar so loud it shook the whole city broke out from somewhere above the Dragonpit and unless Meleys had returned atop her 'Red Queen' there was only one dragon it could be.

Cries of, "Dragon landing!" Were heard all throughout the pit and all the Targaryens turned to see as one of the outer cage doors opened and in walked the largest dragon in the world with a child of four years old riding on its back.

Ser Steffon could feel his hair turning grey as the young prince Baelon waved towards them all with a happy smile on his face.

-

I'm very sorry how late this chapter came out. I had it mostly done all day but I needed to get blood work done and so didn't get home until about an hour ago. Though, at least for me, this chapter is still coming out on Monday so you can't be too mad right?

With this chapter the answer of what dragon has been answered for Baelon though not for the other 3 Targaryen children.

Not sure how likely a Friday chapter will be. Maybe I'll post one Wednesday before I leave or maybe I will be able to post it while I'm gone but if not I'll get three done next week.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  20. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

They may see it as "happy", but I can't imagine anything but the smuggest fucking grin on his face, tbh. :V

21. Trieze

Trieze The man from Nowhere, next stop Anywhere.

Either that's Balerion or Cannibal...

1212321 likes this.
  22. Hammerfury

Hammerfury Know what you're doing yet?

Almost sure Balerion is dead right now.

1212321, JT'Tales, K_Will and 3 others like this.
  23. RichardWhereat

See, I can see it being either thst, or absolute fucking glee. Actually, I see it more as absolute glee, and for the next week it'll be a shit eating grin.

1212321, Tunak23 and Dberserker like this.
  24. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Actually:

It's Vhagar.

Baelon died, so Baelon went and got his dragon.

Obviously, the Dragon couldn't tell the difference because the same name was on the ownership forms. :V

1212321, DrakenWise, Aprilxxs and 8 others like this.
  25. Hammerfury

Hammerfury Know what you're doing yet?

I'm aware it's Vhagar. I was specifically pointing out to the other guy that it couldn't have been Balerion cause he's dead.

26. Trieze

Trieze The man from Nowhere, next stop Anywhere.

Huh. I was kinda fuzzy on when Balerion died, so...

27. Williams1996

Williams1996 Alba gu bràth

7-8 years before the decision to find out who would be the new ruler he died in 94ac and the council was on 101ac

IEatBabies423 likes this.
  28. Threadmarks: Daemon I
    IEatBabies423

"How could you?!" Rhea Royce was thrashing and screaming with her arm caught in Daemon’s hand, the moment he had landed Caraxes in Runestone she had descended upon him without letting him even say a word.

Four months had passed since Baelon's claiming of Vhagar and during that time there was hardly anything else anyone in the capital would speak about, Daemon included. He could be found boasting throughout the city's taverns to anyone who would listen about how great his son was.

The youngest dragon rider Westeros had ever known and he had needed no urging from his father to push him into that decision. 'Baelon the Brazen' the people of King's Landing had taken to calling him, an homage to both his grandfather and his Royce heritage.

Were Daemon to choose which of his children would be so brave as to claim Vhagar he would not have chosen Baelon. His son had always been bookish and preferred to stay inside getting whatever knowledge he could from books than to play with the other children. The maester told Daemon that often the only times Baelon would leave the library was if Alyssa was pulling him along.

That Baelon had not been present in the capital. The boy there had not only claimed Vhagar but made fast friends with Rhaenyra along with any young Lordlings he could and was regarded as a charming and well mannered child. Perhaps it was true that a dragon affected the personality of their rider.

Baelon was the youngest dragon rider the Seven Kingdoms, and possibly the world, had ever seen yet even young Dragon Lords needed to return home to their mothers once all the excitement was done. Baelon and Alyssa had taken a ship back to Runestone along with Ser Steffon while Vhagar flew alongside them.

Now Daemon had finally found time to leave the capital and fly to Runestone and even though Rhea showed no sign of calming down the guards approaching with their swords drawn were enough for Daemon to release her.

Thankfully Daemon's wife did not attempt to attack him again as she stood breathing heavily, her face red from a mix of anger and exertion.

"And what, my dear wife, have I done to earn your ire?"

"What have you done?!" Rhea looked like she wanted nothing more than to take another swing at him but restrained herself. When she spoke again her voice was lower, "Our son, Daemon. You threw our four year old son to the largest dragon in the world on the slim chance that just maybe he would managed to claim it."

Daemon attempted to interject but Rhea wouldn't have it, "What would you have done if Baelon was unsuccessful? Would you have thrown Alyssa to Vhagar after the dragon was done eating her brother?!"

"Baelon claimed Vhagar himself. I had no part in it," Daemon was more than a little proud of that fact.

"You had no part?" Rhea scoffed, "The boy's father only speaks to him in Valyrian. His father has him wear his hair in the Valyrian fashion. His father gave him a dragon egg while he was a babe in his crib. His father took him on a dragon ride when he was barely old enough to open his eyes. And yet he had no part?" She spoke more to herself than to Daemon.

"Baelon loves dragons. He always has. Any scrap of knowledge he can get from the Freehold he consumes greedily," Daemon defended himself, he knew what she was trying to say and he disagreed. After all he had warned his children not to attempt claiming Vhagar.

"Alyssa loves dragons. Baelon loves you," Rhea said with more than a hint of bitterness as they made their way towards Runestone's solar, "He wants to be just like you, he always has. The only thing a boy his age wants to be is their father. So take some responsibility."

"If you want to mark me as the reason for why our son is the most secure he has ever been then be my guest."

"More secure? Don't be a fool," Rhea dismissed, "Tell me Daemon. When the Sea Snake decides that our side has too many dragon riders and potential dragon riders, who do you think he will send assassins after? Fearsome Prince Daemon, wielder of Dark Sister or Baelon the 'Brazen', four year old boy not even old enough to hold a large stick let alone a sword."

Daemon's fist clenched around his sword, "Let any assassin lay a hand on my children and House Velaryon, along with Driftmark, will have naught but a page in a history book as their legacy."

"It is not that simple and you know it. You are no fool, so do the math Daemon. A dragon rider, the best fleet, the largest treasury, and a Lord Paramount. And what does your brother have besides your own Caraxes? A secondary house and a four year old boy? Those are not good odds."

Daemon took a seat and downed a goblet of wine before pouring himself another, "We have the rightful heir."

"Do you? Were the question who was to inherit Runestone and not the Iron Throne, Rhaenys would be the heir."

Less than a fortnight after Baelon left the capital, conversation in the Red Keep had turned to a new topic. A Council was to be held at Harrenhal and every great Lord was invited to take part in choosing their next King.

Daemon thought his grandfather had grown senile in his old age. A King wasn't the High Septon or Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, the people he ruled over didn't get to choose him.

In peace only a King could make another man King of seven kingdoms and in war only dragons could. Jaehaerys had followed this logic well throughout the majority of his fifty year reign, even going against the wishes of his wife to do so. Why now, when the realm was closer to civil war than ever before, did Jaehaerys decide that a weak and indecisive man who let his Lords make decisions for him was a good king?

Daemon could not find the answer no matter how hard he searched.

"But that is not the question and thus Viserys will be king. Rhaenys has already been passed over once before. Her having an infant son changes nothing. Do Saera's bastards have a claim because they were born after she was cast from the family? No. They do not."

Rhea sighed and gave up the argument before it could start, "I assume you are here to secure support in the Vale?"

"Boremund is already preparing his banners and Corlys is readying his ships. They are prepared to fight for Laenor's claim."

"Then you would find more success at Pike or on the Arbor," Rhea scoffed before continuing sarcastically, "Runestone has barely enough men to equal Lord Baratheon, you cannot expect us to match the Velaryon fleet as well."

Daemon rolled his eyes, "There won't be a war so thankfully you won't be called upon to match their strength. But we cannot be seen to do nothing while Corlys threatens us. You will begin to muster your troops and meet with the other Lords of the Vale and be sure they are supporting the right side."

"You do not control me Daemon. Nor do you control Runestone," Rhea glared at him from across the table, "And in case you haven't noticed, I, a woman, just so happen to be the ruler of Runestone and Jeyne Arryn will be Lady of the Vale, what makes you think that we will support Viserys and not Rhaenys?"

"Your son is Viserys' nephew. Whether you sit in Runestone with no support shown towards Viserys or raise an army and lead it in his name that doesn't change. As far as Corlys is concerned Baelon is on our side and thus so are you."

Rhea sighed and Daemon knew she agreed before she spoke, "I will write who I can and make a show of training some more guardsmen, but other than that there is little I can do. Now, will you be staying in Runestone long? Our children have missed you."

Due to everything going on Daemon had been unable to visit his children and had even missed their Name Day earlier that month, "I will stay until the morning and give them their gifts and then I will return to Harrenhal to meet with our allies."

"They will be glad to see you," For a moment the two sat in awkward silence, neither knowing what to say now that they weren't arguing.

"Have you heard the news from Dragonstone?" Daemon asked eventually.

"No, I'm afraid word does not travel as quickly to Runestone as to King's Landing," Rhea sniffed.

"Rhaenys was seen making a trip to Dragonstone atop her Red Queen and she was seen leaving with another dragon accompanying her. Laena has claimed Silverwing."

Rhea snorted, "Well she certainly acts fast. And what was the king's reaction?"

"He was unhappy obviously, but due to his unwillingness to name Viserys heir there is nothing he can do. He gave Baelon no reprimand for claiming Vhagar, doing so for Laena would show clearly who his favored candidate is. Now, on the subject of dragons, where is Vhagar being held?"

"I have had the walls of a stable broken down for her, for all the good it does. She can have no guards and at anytime she wishes she could leave. I would say your Caraxes is welcome there but I fear Vhagar has taken up all the space."

"And my son? How has Baelon taken to his dragon?"

"He goes riding upon her everyday, often with Alyssa," Daemon couldn't stop the proud smirk from spreading across his face nor did he try to. It was good his son had not turned out lazy and unwilling to take the time to properly get used to his dragon, "Go and see him now. He and Alyssa should be finishing their studies now and I have work to do."

-

"Father," Alyssa cried out the moment she saw him and immediately rushed towards him while Baelon hung back.

Daemon wrapped Alyssa up in a hug and took a moment to examine his children's guards. One was Ser Steffon, the Darklyn knight who had served Daemon's father while the other was Ser Willam Royce the wielder of Lamentation.

Ser Steffon was a brave and good knight who had served his father well for five years, he was decent with a blade as well though not one songs were sung of, his true strength came with his loyalty.

Ser Willam had the same black hair and blue eyes of Daemon's wife. He was brave and honest as well as loyal to his cousins. He was a great swordsman and only made better by the Valyrian Steel he wielded. When Daemon wanted a sparring partner while in Runestone Ser Willam was his preferred choice.

If Daemon were to be honest he would say that there were scarce other knights in the Seven Kingdoms he would rather have guarding his children.

"How have you been my dragon?" Daemon asked in Valyrian while smiling towards his daughter.

"Amazing father!" She exclaimed with a large smile, "Bael has taken me riding on Vhagar as many times as I want!"

"Yes, your brother has never been able to deny you anything," He almost spoke Valyrian but stopped himself when he looked towards Baelon and remembered what Rhea had said.

Baelon's face flushed slightly red, "It is a brother's duty to spoil his sister," He proclaimed after a moment.

"Yes it is," Daemon said while ruffling his hair, "And it is a father's to spoil his son. Now come with me and see the gifts I have brought you for your Name Days."

Alyssa looked shocked at his words and a frown spread across Daemon's face, "You did not think I forgot did you?" To which Baelon and Alyssa quickly shook their heads as Daemon began walking towards where he left Caraxes.

Alyssa quickly grabbed Baelon's hand and began dragging him after Daemon with a large smile across her face while Ser William and Ser Steffon fell into step behind them and Daemon found himself thinking that if Alyssa would always smile like that then perhaps even being behind the Velaryons for the Iron Throne would not be so bad.

AN

Well this came out later than was planned so I'm sorry for that. I had a funeral to drive to a few states away so for obvious reasons I was more focused on spending time with my family than writing which I think is understandable.

Once I got back I was focused on catching up with my schoolwork so yeah this chapter is coming out pretty late.

This chapter was pretty short and honestly I'm not super happy with it but I wanted to get something out to you guys so you got this sort of in between chapter before a timeskip. I hope it was still enjoyable.

New chapter coming Friday and at some point I owe you guys an extra update but that probably won't be this week.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  29. a guy1013

a guy1013 Versed in the lewd.

what this thing is also on qq, nowonder i can't find its in the sfw section

30. IEatBabies423

Lol I basically posted it everywhere but yeah it's sfw.