1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Wild cross-over prediction: Grayven goes to OL's universe to enlist the help of Alan. He helps purge Earth while he's there. In return, Alan plays his part for Gravyen.

kerleth, BR549, Vorian and 3 others like this.
  2. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Ganthet of Oa: Spends god alone knows how long trying to make a Blue Lantern Ring, does not even have a functioning prototype.

Kalmin: Makes a Blue Lantern and accompanying power ring over the course of an afternoon, a weekend at most. As a bet.

3. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Will Grayven use that "Mood ring" that uses all the lights?

kerleth likes this.
  4. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

This makes me wonder what the reason for the Guardians not working with their parallel versions is. Has it already been explained in-story at some point?

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe they're worried that if they do that then their enemies will also escalate.

It's also just possible that they haven't seen a reason to do so since they can handle their problems by themselves.

7. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Seven Lanterns? Who will he give one of his rings/roles to?

8. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

I’m reasonably that Grayven is in possession of at least one and possibly multiple methods of going to other versions of the DC universe.
    Finding a willing blue lantern is just a matter of looking around.

mastermenthe likes this.
  9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I just realized, the Indigo Lanterns are called the Indigo Lantern Corps instead of the Indigo Tribe in this story? Or is the Renegade mistaken, and Ub'x simply didn't feel like correcting him on his organization's name?

10. Mr Zoat

Natromo called it the Indigo Tribe because he was from a tribal society. With non-brainwashed Lanterns around, a lot of them refer to it as a Corps. Grayven just assumed, but Ub'x calls it the same thing.

11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yes, but he probably sacrificed a planet or two of people to do it.

Note, LePaul never actually asked, and has even shied away from the thought now that he has found out how the Yellow Ring was made.

12. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Paul, why must you be so... British?

continent's

Starfleet

13. Mr Zoat

Habit.
    Thank you, corrected.

14. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

He didn't.

He used the hope generated by the people of the former eyeball carving religion to forge the ring and lantern.

Link.

And we know if he killed them all off to do so, because there's an Orange Lantern from those people who just showed up a little while ago to fight to defend her people and planet from Parallex.

15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Found an error in the story only thread. That link to the Green Lantern wiki no longer works because its contents were transferred to the DC wiki, and Triarch wasn't included in the transfer.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I would point out here that just because the genocidal maniac says something doesn't make it true.

It took billions of people steeped in fear to make Sinestro a Yellow Ring and Power Battery.

But a couple hundred thousand people feeling a little hopeful was enough to make a Blue Ring and Battery?

17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul personally helped those people and brought them to Maltus. Also, two of their species joined the OLC, and were given the job of stabilizing their world after the destruction of its evil religion led to a massive upheaval.

Ardy likes this.
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's not what I meant...

I meant he likely harvested a planet or two besides that for the hope necessary that LePaul just doesn't know about.

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Pretty sure Hinon at the very least would've kept an eye on him to make sure he wouldn't do things like that.

20. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Also, Kalmin is not one to lie about the terrible things he does. If he did a genocide he'll say so with the same ease as one say's they picked up the groceries.

21. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Huh. I guess Ub'x (at least this one) chose not to rebuild the Sucker Stick... or perhaps he did, and it became his staff, or is going to randomly pop up later in the story.

22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

How could Gravy use something that doesn't exist because DC stopped publishing comics in 2011? :)

Or seriously, that's a post flashpoint thing, Zoat rarely uses post flashpoint stuff.

So Gravy is unlikely to encounter the phantom ring, the universal ring from Planet of the Apes/Green Lantern, or Spectra, possibly of Earth 8 since she seems to be a Dr Spectrum analog.

Man they've really loved multicolored rings post flashpoint.

23. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

I suppose it's also possible that he didn't actually have to kill an entire planetary population to make a yellow ring, and just did it because it's the kind of thing he enjoys. Or that after brute forcing a power ring through such over the top means he gained enough of an understanding in how to produce them that he didn't need to resort to such extreme measures for producing a blue ring.

Pretty sure the Qwardians didn't have to sacrifice an entire world every time they made a ring for the Sinestro Corps.

kerleth, Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

25. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

21st January 2013
    10:59 GMT

"A Lantern! Thank the Source! Can you stop this?"

Volkregian society isn't advanced enough to support the level of ostentatiousness that 'throne room' usually implies to a European, but the quality of the stone and woodwork is clearly a cut above what I've seen elsewhere. The Dal's clothing is-. Ah. It's a space farer's jumpsuit with added jewellery, the fabric being something they couldn't produce on planet and as such shows off his wealth and power while also being stain resistant and hard wearing.

Not seeing any red. Not in him, or the rest of his advisors.

"Yes, but there is a matter I have to resolve first, because there's no point in stopping it if someone just starts it up-."

"Yes, I admit-! I wanted to form an alliance with Crelan, so I arranged for the bomb to be brought to-. I just thought there'd be a few earth tremors!"

Interesting that he didn't try and deflect blame. He would have been advised, but where technical matters are concerned, how much advice could someone from Volkreg actually give?

"Do you have any more such bombs?"

He-. Shakes his head. Not the local gesture, but not an uncommon one around humanoid species. He's had more off-world contact, and either picked it up or learned to use it around aliens.

"The people you bought it from. As far as you know, are they in contact with anyone else?"

"They've-. They mentioned people a few times-. I assumed it was a negotiating tactic; no one on Volkreg can afford to have things shipped here in bulk. We're too far away from their workshops."

Accurate enough. Azmah is theoretically advanced enough, but they've got… Other problems. For the Sector's other advanced worlds, sure, they can get here, but Volkreg doesn't have an industrialised society. They don't manufacture anything that it's worth selling somewhere else, and they don't have the equipment to extract raw materials in the sort of quantity they'd need in order to use them for mass trade. Even farm produce is no good, because any merchant would just buy a breeding stock and move it to a world that had chemical fertiliser. So: sporadic visits to trade once they've build up sufficient… Gold, probably. And even then, only small traders.

"Alright, here's what I want in return. Y-."

"Name it!"

"You will foreswear the use of wars of aggression, both for yourself and your heirs. You will personally accept responsibility at a gathering of your peers which I will arrange. You will provide me with all information that I will need to apprehend the people who sold you the bomb."

"Yes! Yes! I want this to stop! You have to believe me, I never-."

"I do. Ilana, Razer, get the information we need. Excuse me."

I fly on automatic, out of the residence, out of the city and up into near-Volkreg space. From here I can see the full… No, nearly the full extent of the ash cloud. It actually extends over the horizon in the windward direction, even from up here. The plume is still fairly extensive in the other direction as the heat from the volcano pushes the air away in all directions.

I form a large cold gun construct and take aim at the centre of the caldera. There wasn't a great deal of magma, but cooling the ground should solidify the magma reservoirs and bung it up a little. And without the hot subterranean air, the ash should stop being ejected with the current level of vehemence. This much cooling can have some fairly severe affects on the atmosphere by itself, but under the circumstances I suspect that the locals will take a unseasonal hurricane or two over an electrified ash storm.

And fire.

The pale blue beam cuts through the ash plume, air contracting as the ash is frozen. It looks like someone poked a hole in the billowing mass, though this won't do much to the rest of the ash. I'm going to have to clean that up once I've dealt with the source.

You know, there are probably Lanterns who get to spend their entire career doing things like this.

The cold beam hits the ground and the ash ejection stops almost at once. Scans show the temperature of the crust reduce down to normal levels, lava tubes closing… Yes, good, good. Now… A plug. Scan… Yes, that asteroid looks about the right size and composition. I

step out and

reappear next to it, grab it with a construct tether and warp back to the planet.

Convenient, not having an interdiction field.

Then fly down through the atmosphere. The wind has picked up as the cold air starts pulling the hot air inwards and upwards, and that's adding to the lightning show. Not a danger to me due to my environmental shield providing me with perfect insulation, but I'm.. getting slightly uncomfortable Oceanus flashbacks. Now, this rock isn't much above absolute zero, so that should handle any residual heat. And it's a solid enough mass that it should contain any pressure build-up-.

And check the rock for dangerous micro-organisms, because I've seen The Andromeda Strain. And macro-organisms, because I've seen The Empire Strikes Back. No, nothing dangerous.

And down, with enough force to compress the rock and close off some of the fissures, without setting the whole thing off again.

If there was any moisture in the air, this whole area would be covered in frost and rain would be falling from the sky. As it is, the lightning intensifies, striking the newly-earthed iron-rich asteroid with great fury.

Right, that can take care of itself. I have great clouds to deal with. I don't know of any construct designed for…

Huh. John's ring had two records of Green Lanterns dealing with incidents like this. One used a vacuum cleaner construct and was at it for days, and the other sprayed the cloud with sea water, causing it to rain out of the air. That took a day, but caused widespread environmental damage from the salty rainfall and ash sludge and chemicals.

Oh, and Dox has a file on here about using a quantum teleporter to track the average movement of dust in a continent wide cloud and turn them into a solid block. The description seems to show that it's a good fit for this situation.

But I think that I should probably stick to the one I can comprehend.

It's most important to deal with the densest ash cloud closest to the source, and lesser amounts of ash are a problem but not a existential one. To that end I fly up through the rapidly shrinking hole my cold ray made, up until I'm above almost all of the ash cloud. Then I spread my construct downwards. I don't make constructs this size very often due to the overt threat they imply, but at this point it seems to be for the best. I keep going until I've got a tube pointing towards the billowing ash cloud, then add the filters-.

Wait, the ash is electrically charged. That should make this easier.

Add a magnetic field as well as a vacuum, storage tanks for the ash and escape vents for the air. Then -careful to take into account local terrain features and structures- I move it forwards.

The ash cloud goes from impenetrable blackness to dense fog levels as it passes through, and I know that will start to spread out and dissipate without the continual source of heat from the ground. Still damaging, if not quite Year Without Summer bad, but I can go back through with the water method to get the rest out once I'm done.

"Illustres to Jade. I'm dealing with the supervolcano now. Please reassure people that they'll be able to plant."

"I will. Orion has a lead on the Butcher's Blood."

"Oh, I was starting to think that there was nothing here. Good work. I'll go to you once I've finished here."

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  26. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

Huh isn’t plugging a volcano one of the worst things you can do to a volcano?

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It seems I was mistaken. Though, shouldn't the link be colored orange like the rest of that sentence?

That should say 'technical'.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"to a world"

"full extent"

29. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Something like the last five chapters in a row have been entirely Jade-less, with exactly one comms line dropped in at the end.

Gotta mean something. No clue what though.

kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.