1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Resolved] Computer help

Discussion in 'General' started by Selias, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Selias

Selias Well worn.

My computer has been giving me some trouble, lately, and I've been thinking about replacing it. Probably shouldn't have bought from Walmart. Anyway, even though I spend most of my time on one, I don't actually know a whole lot about them, so I could use a second opinion on the PC I found.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...bit;_8GB_DDR4-2133_RAM;_1TB_7,200RPM_Hard_Dri

It looks good, but I don't know that much about computer parts. I don't have that much money, right now, so this is about as much as I can spend, while still keeping some cash handy for other stuff.

2. Student of Zelretch

Student of Zelretch Put the ice back on my lake. Moderator

Well, it does largely depend on what you want your computer for. That would help those more tech savvy (I can fix some things, but am by no means an expert) to in turn aid you in your quest to find the optimal new machine.

Selias likes this.
  3. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

It depends on what you want to do... also, I've found that it helps to sometimes, just back all the stuff in your computer up. And then do a reformat and reinstall the operating system, update it up and set up the software you use before putting your data back.

Also, it also helps if you open up your computer tower's case and vaccum the dust and dirt in there... this helps prolong your computer's lifespan.

Selias and Dakkaface like this.
  4. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Mostly, I'm just going to use it for reading fanfics and watching videos on Youtube, but I usually have one or two dozen tabs open, with a LOT more that are unloaded. Aside from that, I'd like to be able to play games on it. Not games that are huge resource-hogs, on the highest settings, but things like Fallout 4, Skyrim, World of Warcraft, some stuff from Steam, and, let's say... games on the level of PS2 and Gameboy DS games. You know, hypothetically on that level.

Also, I bought my computer from Walmart, so it came with the OS already installed. Cleaning the inside would probably be a good idea, though.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  5. Biigoh

I would almost say... get a copy of your OS so you can do a system restore.

6. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Well, part of my situation is that I actually do want to get a new computer. I've wanted one for a while, now, specifically for playing games "on the level of" PS2 and DS games, but several hundred dollars is a lot of money to spend, for me. I had originally been planning on upgrading my current one, another stick of RAM, a new Processor, and maybe a new video card, but I never got around to it. Also, a friend of mine that's better with computers recently told me that I'd be better off just getting a new one, because my motherboard is apparently a piece of shit (Pegatron 2ACF). Though, he might be a bit biased, because I bought my PC at Walmart, and he hates Walmart, for some reason.

Plus, my mom needs a computer, so I was planning on just deleting all of my files, and giving her this one. It still works, and she won't care that it's loud and a bit laggy.

Aaand I just realized that I could ask my friend for his opinion. Though I would still like to know if anyone here thinks that it's a good or bad computer.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  7. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

In that case, you want 8gb of ram (to handle a bajillion tabs and videos) and a fairly recent midrange AMD/Nvidia graphics card, no more than 2-3 years old (to handle Fallout 4 and Skyrim). Most other specs are irrelevant, really. The computer you linked has Intel graphics and therefore won't be good enough for recent AAA gaming.

EDIT: Probably a good idea to look up Fallout 4 benchmarks for whatever graphics card before you buy it.

Everyone hates Walmart for a whole list of good reasons. :p But I think what your friend was getting at is that's an AMD motherboard, and for the last 9 years or so AMD has been making very good graphics, but very poor CPUs that are only suitable for those on a really tight budget.

Selias likes this.
  8. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Honestly, I'm not really as into gaming as I used to be. I mostly stick to older games, these days. SNES, GBC/GBA, PSX, and some PS2 and NDS games. A few NES and N64 games, as well, though not as many. Still, I suppose it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Do I need to worry about compatibility, because Game-Debate seems to think that this one is decent, and it costs under a hundred bucks.

9. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

I've never tried to emulate PS2, but for that sort of gaming pretty much any desktop made in the last 5 years will work fine. The average Intel CPU made today is only about 3x as fast as one made 8 years ago. A lot of the improvement has been going into reducing power consumption instead.

Every motherboard has PCI Express these days, so if you're buying a graphics card separately the main thing you need to check is power supply capacity, and whether or not it needs extra power connectors. That HP computer, for instance, wouldn't be able to supply enough power to be able to use that card, and it seems to be a non-standard form factor so upgrading the power supply may be tricky.

If you don't care so much about Fallout 4 (Skyrim is a bit older so has more leeway) then you can just focus on having enough ram, and also making sure it's a standard ATX case and power supply so you can upgrade for gaming later if you change your mind.

Selias likes this.
  10. Biigoh

The loud and laggy thing can be somewhat fixed by cleaning the computer (they get REALLY dirty and disgusting without regular cleaning inside their case), also... there might be a factory reset/system restore function depending on the version of windows you have.

Also, something to look at in terms of computers that can handle games - http://heavy.com/games/2016/04/good-top-best-cheap-gaming-computers-under-500-desktops-pc/

Selias likes this.
  11. Selias

Selias Well worn.

So, turns out that there was a sticker on the side of my computer, that had my Product Key for Windows 7. Having some trouble getting Windows to accept it, so I can download a copy of Windows 7, though. Also, going to head to Walmart, tomorrow, to pick up some compressed air and microfiber cleaning cloths. Probably should have done that ages ago, since I haven't cleaned my computer in the 5+ years that I've had it, but whatever.
    Ehh. Maybe. Honestly, I'm thinking of just getting that computer, and then upgrading it further, later on. Definitely going to buy another stick of RAM right away, though. After looking things over, my current motherboard doesn't have much room for upgrades. I think. Max of 8 RAM and 3.0 GHz CPU. Plus, it looks like even just upgrading my PC would be pretty pricy, since I want a new GPU, and I'd probably need to get a new PSU to go with it, so that's already about half of what I'd be paying for the new computer, from what I can see. I also really need a new CPU, because mine is almost constantly running at least at 90%. Plus, I'm a bit unconfident in my abilities to mess around with the insides of my computer.

EDIT: And, it looks like I'd have to buy the parts used. Though, they ARE apparently straight from AMD, so they should be in good condition. I'm a bit worried that they're not listed as "refurbished," instead of "used," though.

EDIT 2: Whoops. Got a bit off-topic, there. That 500 dollar one looks pretty nice, but I'd need to grab a wifi card, because it'd be pretty difficult for me to get an ethernet cable into my room.

EDIT 3: Huh... The HP's CPU is... better, apparently? I guess three years makes a bit of a difference, or something?

EDIT 4: Possibly the GPU, as well? Not sure.

Biigoh likes this.
  12. Biigoh

That's good...

Also, I really recommend opening the computer tower case as you'll be able to clean it up better.

13. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Planning on it.

14. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Well, looks like I should have just asked my friend about it, to begin with. Five minutes after asking his opinion, he put together a build on PCPartPicker, for me.

seeing_octarine likes this.
  15. Biigoh

hahahah... nice

Selias likes this.