1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Batman is effectively a well-trained human with top level equipment if he focused his resources he could have multiple batmen on the payroll for Wayne industries as a sort of private police force, or get a contract for the government for it to be a public police force spreading and making his tech publically available improving earth's chances in any world-ending apocalypse.

Sure one batman has saved the world, but what if there was 10, 20, 100, 1000 or more all running around the earth (or at least the US) saving people and solving crimes.

2. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

As a refresher . . . Owlman's dumbass plan was basically just him being stupidly nihilistic. He found out the multiverse existed and decided life was pointless because he thinks his choices can't matter if every choice he could ever make has happened in some other universe. So he wants to make the only choice he thinks could ever mean anything, blowing up the entire multiverse. Even though the very act of trying would just create new universes and thus render his plan self-defeating.

In other words, Owlman was pissed off because he didn't feel special anymore.

3. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Or, better, he could retire as Batman now, leaving the rest of the Bat family to do vigilante stuff while he does CEO stuff and comes out of retirement every once in a while.

Actually, reminds me of a fic with a semi-reformed Luthor cured of his paranoia when he finds out that he and other possibly influential people including Bruce Wayne have been influenced from a young age into paranoia by Scarecrow’s fear toxin, and he figures out (wrongly) that Bruce Wayne funds and controls the Bat family and the Justice League... by funding and providing intel, training and targets first to someone (he guesses initially either Joker or Harvey Dent), and then when that went bad to Matches Malone (Bruce Wayne’s criminal alter-ego) to be the actual Batman (since he shows up at a lot of places Batman does, and is never arrested), then adopting Dick Grayson to be Robin, etc..

Edit: I believe the fic in question was called inviolate

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  4. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Talking about power......

There was a study done in the US, looking at politicans.

They proved that political power was more addictive, physicly, than cocane. Giving orders, expanding your power base, having people do what you want? Addictive.

There are a number of troops who have been in lots of combat, who find that living outside of battle is something they are no longer ajusted to.

Then again, there are quite a few criminals who ajust to prison, too. Who get out, then commit a crime to go back to where they understand.

Being a major Super would have aspects of all of the above.

Drode, BBJimmy, Relyt33 and 6 others like this.
  5. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

It was indeed. First half of the story is great, second half is kinda lacklustre - good enough to be worth finishing, but not really worth reading on its own merits - so overall it gets a solid "eh, s'pose it's worth the time" from me.

Drode, IsActuallyBatman and Relyt33 like this.
  6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm pretty sure that will result in at least one of them going crazy, becoming a supervillain, and successfully killing many of the other batmen before being defeated.

That is crazy. I only read the first few chapters of that fic before I stopped. I might try it again thanks to this comment.

IsActuallyBatman and DAT_NOOB like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Something he actually did in Batman/Superman Generations.

8. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Wayne Enterprises has the kind of resources that would make the richest man in the real world look like a pauper. I don't know if his actual net worth has ever been mentioned, but I have seen an analysis that if he had a mere $100 billion he could afford to operate as Batman for all of 2 years before he went bankrupt.

That's the kind of resources it would take to end world hunger forever. Consider that for a minute. If Bruce Wayne put his mind and the entire might of his company to the task he could ensure that no child ever starved to death again within five or ten years. He's got scientists working for him who, if put on such a project, could most likely work out a way to turn the Sahara green again and suck greenhouse gasses out of the atmosphere. At the very least they could crack fusion, which...well, go read some essays on just how big fusion will be once we crack it. With the kind of wealth and skilled labor at his disposal the possibilities are limitless.

9. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Problem is the people who develop that firmwear update are the ones you wanted to make the update for in the first place.

10. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

You can't make a Batman with training and top level equipment. Batman fights hordes of those guys all the time and mows through them like it's nothing.

The Tom King run on Batman has been getting into this a little- What makes Batman unique is his Vow. He can't stop being Batman because of his desire to be Batman, but without his desire and commitment to being Batman he couldn't be Batman. In "WtR" terms you might saw he's naturally channeling some combination of green and orange and yellow light. Not in a big showy way through super-alien technology that produces colored light shows, but in the sense that if "Avarice" and "Willpower" and "Fear" are indeed fundamental forces of the universe then a super-intense vow that brings them all together could very well affect reality itself. Hell, toss in Indigo and Red... there's no color of the emotional spectrum that isn't tangled up in Batman's Vow, is there? It's why Batman can walk into a room filled with League of Assassins soldiers who have trained all their lives and they're nothing but chum. Because they don't have his Vow to empower them. They only have ordinary human commitment.

11. Mr Zoat

I read a book years ago where a woman managed to create what she called 'the human genetic patch'. By using a cold virus to spread it she caused all affected humans to receive intrapsychic rewards for cooperation rather than competition. It stopped most violence but also reduced motivation.

And then people developed immunity.

12. Jiro

Jiro Getting sticky.

I've seen a number of references say that Olympia is supposed to be Donna Troy.

13. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Just because they're not nice people doesn't mean every spell is powered by kicked puppies and the souls of the damned. Useful things are always useful, regardless of alignment.

Drode, Caerwen, Bramble Thorn and 3 others like this.
  14. Jiro

Jiro Getting sticky.

I legitimately didn't know that the Millennium Falcon was in the movie.

It was on the poster, but it never occurred to me that that was specifically the Millennium Falcon, rather than that ships in Star Wars were supposed to look like that anyway.

Ardy likes this.
  15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The irony of a sociopath mind controlling a bunch of other people to get along better is almost palpable.

ashadowalker likes this.
  16. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

That it is, that it is. Though, well. Have you seen the state of the world today? You’d need mass mind control to get true peace on Earth.

We are a rather violent bunch of monkeys.

Drode, Buggy123 and infinityDivided like this.
  17. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

To be fair the numbers show that the world is a good deal more peaceful and safer than it has been at any other point in human history. It's just that we hear about the rare atrocities much faster and therefore much more often than we used to even though they're actually happening a lot less.

Drode, Chaoswind, Vaermina and 3 others like this.
  18. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yes, but I would not call that letting them get away because it's better for everyone.

Yes, but again, they don't just let the person get away with the crime. Pursuit will resume in some form or fashion. They will continue to attempt to apprehend the suspects as opposed to just letting the crime slide.

I don't know either, I do know that a lot of stupid people on youtube will state such justifications for why the Mafia in America was a "good" thing. I find such logic to be pants on head moronic (which is the nicest thing I can say without possible mod intervention.). If only because of the rampant corruption of police forces and the systematic fucking over of an innocent populace. "Oh? You witnessed a crime? Well thanks for coming forward....now please excuse me while I report this to the local Capo that slides me that sweet, sweet bribe money. You, of course, will be found dead in a car trunk, if you are found at all."

I know it's be used as an excuse for the continued existence of the Kingpin in Marvel. Which still doesn't wash. Once, when he was in exile, there was an open gang war, bloodier than any third world conflict. So the US government literally smuggles Fisk back and lets him take control over the "underworld" once more.

Bullshit, for a few reasons.

1. If there was such open warfare in the god damn streets, the Military would be sent in to crush that shit hard.

2. Can't make any money from crime when you're in an open war, with hundreds dying every day, and now the military is getting involved to literally kill you. Why would any career criminal actually continue?

3. This was in NEW YORK CITY. You know, Marvel SUPER HERO CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.

I'm supposed to believe that a city that holds The Avengers (Which includes at least TWO actual GODS in Thor and Hercules), The X-men (Nearby), The Fantastic Four, Dr. Strange (Sorcerer fucking SUPREME) and a dozens of higher than you might think Meta-humans like Spider-man. That this could EVER, EVER!, continue for more than a few days without a MASSIVE smackdown occuring?

19. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Owlman was suicidal, only his own Earth could give him the death he wanted, he just decided to take everything and everyone with him to the grave.

He was a death seeker just like Batman used to seek revenge, Batman moved on from revenge, Owlman moved on to eliminate the multiverse.

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Actually, if my memory serves, it was less supertech vigilantes and more building hospitals and schools, transporting food and medicine to the needy, etc, etc.

Anyway, I'm reminded of something revealed in the DC 1 Million- Batman won.

By the time Batman was done, Gotham was a freaking utopia.

But just as utopia means no place, Gotham doesn't exist anymore, lost to the sands of time.

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

While altering the minds of billions of people is not exactly a great thing to do, that really doesn't sound like a sociopath.

Sociopath isn't a term used by medical officials nowadays, but its generally agreed that a sociopath is someone who lacks empathy (the ability to understand someone else's subjective experience), leading to short-term selfish and manipulative behavior. They also tend to be reckless, aggressive, have poor long-term planning, and more.

Someone who spends a lot of time and effort, specifically to make other people stop hurting other people, is probably not a sociopath. If they were, they wouldn't much care if other people were getting hurt, because that's basically the definition of a sociopath.

I don't think that you would necessarily need mass mind control to achieve that. Granted, after looking at the state of the world you might really want to, but that's a huge can of worms. A can of Venomous Death Worms, freshly harvested from the bowls of hell.

Strictly speaking, the minimum you'd need to make a "firmware update" would probably be:

1: A excellent understanding of the human mind, on a genetic, cellular, and psychological level.
    2: Effective techniques for altering the mind, possibly by starting on a genetic/cellular level and figuring out how to extrapolate changes to the psychological level. You could probably manage it with a combination of genetic manipulation and very good microsurgery techniques.
    3: Lots and lots of patience, computing power, time, colleagues, and well-informed consensual test subjects. This isn't something that will be easy or quick.

Theoretically, once you have everything on that fanciful laundry list, you could change a lot of other nice things at the same time. With the brain itself, you could probably eliminate or reduce a lot of serious diseases, like epilepsy or early-onset Alzheimers. At the same time, you could add in some tweaks for increased intelligence/problem solving; you might not necessarily manage to make everyone Einstein, but you might be able to make people like him one in a thousand instead of one in a billion.

Of course, the wider the scope of your project, the harder it would be and the longer it would take. But if you can add in enough side benefits at the same time as the main tweaks, you could probably get a lot more people on board.

Another factor would be that, if these are actually improvements by any reasonable definition, the people who get them will be, well, better. They'll be happier, more socially adept, more successful at work, less likely to develop serious diseases or mental issues, less likely to commit crimes, etc.

If the one in a million people who undergo the procedure are just distributed throughout society, the differences would probably become apparent fairly quickly as their greater success tends to put them in political offices or at the head of companies. And in all likelyhood, the news would probably focus on them for a while after it started being common, and the inevitable controversy and counter(counter-counter, counter-counter-counter...)-movements, etc would bring in a lot of attention. I doubt it would take long for the stark contrast between Firmware 1.0 and Firmware 2.0 to become well-known.

If they aren't distributed, and for whatever reason this group just sticks together as a community, it would be even more obvious. You'd basically end up with a racially diverse Wakanda, vibranium aside. Lower crime rates, greater prosperity, less disease, etc.

Either way, the benefits would become obvious and well-known fairly quickly, and I'd wager that the whole thing would snowball and become more and more widely adopted very quickly.

The hard part probably isn't getting people to adopt it, the hard part would be figuring out exactly what to change without breaking anything or sacrificing things that are key to 'Humanity'. If you don't do a good job at that part, then no one is going to want to follow in your footsteps, because it isn't better.

22. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

This is terrible justification from the beginning. Zoat has said several times the Spectre is not part of the continuity of his story multiple times. Using him as a justification for any viewpoint makes any point you are trying to make seem fake and manufactured.

Link to other parts of the story she has appeared in? I'm not remembering her.

The Lights assets already have access to cold technology. The they were responsible for the Ice Fortresses earlier in the story, remember? The plausible deniability is already there.

Still in development as far as I know. Also, imagine if Mass Effect was based on some superheroes adventures in space. The fact that there is a renegade playthrough available does necessarily mean people playing the game will immediately think that is the path the superhero the game is based on chose in real life.

Was Oceanus before or after the mind control thing? Because I think he had Malthusan-grade tech since he assimilated Stewart's ring, not just since he met up with the controllers.

Using lethal tactics against anyone who even vaguely looks kinda sorta like the people they have a have a legitimate beef with regardless of what they personally have done would seem to change the narrative from "glossed over by the (sensibly) outraged" to "both sides are acting like war criminals and terrorists."

His subspace pocket is attached to his ring, which came with him.

No, You were misread the recent installments. There is a whole mafia's worth of backwards speaking magicians in Earth -14, many of which have some limitation on it. That one guy being sent to take over after his uncle dies, his version only works on non living things. Others might have some other limitation, and some have the full unrestricted version. Hence the statement about the family wanting to marry powerful magicians if possible because it increases the likelihood of children being born with the full version.

23. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hmm, fair point. I don't really know enough about the details of Earth -14 to judge the minutia of the police/military response to the Syndicate and other criminal supers.

24. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

So batman's fanatic insanity puts him on a level above what normal humans can achieve? I'm not sure I quite understand, surely even then one would be able to find at least a few other people with equally strong 'vows' or at least with a genetic disposition to channel the light of the emotional spectrum, or at least someone who's been through similar circumstances.
    (Oh wait that's basically Nightwing, Batgirl, Red Hood and the Robins my bad.)

In a comic world yes, in a rational one...

Wait wasn't Batman incorporated a thing? so just upscale that.

25. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

I'd disagree. While I'd agree that there will be a lot of "not fun", there's plenty of options both good and evil want for pure utility.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  26. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I assume the answer is that he uses super tech to make manufacturing cheaper. He also uses said super tech to give his company more profit, so he ends up a bit richer. At the very least Lex Luthor burns more money than him on fighting Superman.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Threadmarks: Doppelgängered (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

4th February
    20:22 GMT -5

Through the viewing window I see Dame Ferris stagger and collapse. A moment later Olympia walks in with some worrying-looking chains and a full head container.

Zatanna averts her eyes, frowning. "What do you mean, 'too big'?"

"Olympia wanted to conquer the world. Heh, when you get access to our database, take a look at the file on Themysciran culture. It's an eye-opener."

Um, yeah. Not sure what an evil version of Themyscira would be like, al.. though… America isn't evil. It's just that a few people changed ends. Themyscira might be exactly the same.

"Did you lose?"

"How do you lose at taking over a world?" He shakes his head. "At our height, there were only twenty one Crime Lodge key holders. How do you conquer a planet with twenty people?"

"Cow them into submission?"

"And get what? I told you, we were already untouchable. And because of that, we got a rather inflated idea of our ability to do anything other than wreck the place."

"Destruction is the work of a moment. Creation, the work of a lifetime."

He looks at me curiously, then shrugs. "Guess you could put it like that. We thought… We'd already peaked as super criminals, maybe world domination was the next step. The next rush. So we took over New York City." He makes a 'forward' gesture with his right hand. "Just strolled in to City Hall and announced it."

"I can't help but notice that you don't rule New York now."

"What the hell did I know about civil administration? Trash collection, electricity, water, sewage… Law enforcement. I managed a bit better than Whizzer-"

Zatanna snort-laughs, then covers her mouth with her right hand.

"-and Olympia. He couldn't really be bothered to do the actual work and she just shouted orders and threats and expected terrified people to respond intelligently. We didn't even last a month before we gave it up." He shakes his head. "I think if it had been a day, we coulda laughed it off. But it meant the world to Olympia, and I… Well, it didn't work out. We tried going back to the way things were, but… The old games got tired, there was nowhere to go… Some problems just can't be solved by a magic ring. Jace and I focused on our regular careers, Vicky… Olympia, went back to Greece to see if she could break the spell keeping the Amazons trapped on Themyscira. Didn't work, which is probably just as well." He nods to himself. "Maybe actually trying to do the work of running a country is just what we need to take the wind out of the sails of the Young Turks who're griping to me about 'letting Wilson walk all over us'."

Olympia heaves Dame Carol over her left shoulder and marches out of the cell. Mister Scott blinks as he brings himself fully into the present, then leads the way out of the observation room.

Huh.

Well, that was… Revealing. What happens to a power tripper when the power trip ends? When the drugs don't work? When the high you expect doesn't come, when your reputation and ego take a huge blow…

Though the fact that he didn't bother learning from his mistake and trying again is rather telling.

Zatanna and I follow him out and then bring up the rear as the party strolls down the corridor, stopping in front of a.. blank wall. Mister Scott looks it over, then touches it with his right hand.

"This'll do. One a' you wanna take the dame?"

I pick her up with a construct and Olympia-. Victoria pushes her away, as if she finds touching her distasteful.

"Wait until the door vanishes before you wake her up. And don't hang around; we're not sure how fast Medea can pick these up, but she can, and they'll be sending people to wherever you end up."

"Or do hang around and just go over to their side."

Victoria clenches her fists while Mister Scott just shrugs disinterestedly.

"Yeah, maybe. Hell, if you can talk Wilson down it'd be worth it. But I think Blue would be disappointed if you died, so just you remember they ain't your kinda people."

I nod. "How do we get back?"

"Assuming you don't end up in the White House or something, I'll ask the Don to open you a door in… Twenty four hours."

Zatanna shakes her head. "I need to tell my Dad where I am. They're probably already looking for us."

Mister Scott shrugs with mock-helplessness. "Blue told you how to block our dimensional shift technology, so we can't use that. We don’t have another zeta radiation based gate, the Mountain is swarming with soldiers and Gubbins has probably already taken it apart. We can build another one… But we haven't yet. And I don't remember anything about Zataras being able to travel between alternate dimensions under their own power." He steps away from the wall. "All yours, sweetheart."

Zatanna sets her jaw. "Rood ot erehwemos esle."

Wooden panels rearrange themselves to form a door, and Zatanna grabs the handle and pulls it open. "Let's go."

I float Dame Carol before me as we head out into.. a dark disused dockside warehouse. I can hear the subdued sounds of the city in the background, and the lapping of water somewhere closer.

"Rood raeppasid."

I generate a construct bed and set Dame Carol down upon it. "Please wake her up."

"Sniahc llaf trapa." The chains binding Dame Carol fall apart link by link, and the helmet decays into flakes of metal to be blown away by an ethereal wind. Zatanna walks up to stand adjacent to Dame Carol's head and places her right hand on her forehead. "Nekawa."

Dame Carol's eyes jerk open and she sucks in a lungful of air. I smile faintly, take the Staff of Love out of subspace and hold it out to her.

"Feeling better?"

She sits up and turns so that her feet are planted on the floor, then rises to her feet. "I do not fear death so much as dying with my work incomplete. Still, it is pleasant to be away from that place." She takes the staff in her right hand and the Star Sapphire in her left, a faint violet glow enveloping her at once. She holds it for a moment and then pulls, the Sapphire coming free of the staff.

"I suggest that you be careful with that. The last wielder-."

She shakes her head and places the Sapphire against her breastbone where it grows a faint violet crystal gorget. "Star Sapphires are trained to avoid losing ourselves to our passions. I had long suspected that the lesson was a holdover from ancient times. I suppose that now I have proof."

"Now that you're free, what will you do?"

"I will do what we agreed, and relay your offer of a conditional surrender. How shall I contact you with any response?"

"Power Ring Yellow wants us back in twenty four hours. Meet back here in… Eighteen? If you haven't gotten an answer by then…" I stare into her with empathic vision, getting snapshots of her triumphs and tragedies, why she-. Ah. "Want to talk to me really hard and I'll feel it."

"Very well." She rises slowly off the ground, flying towards the exit. "I will bid you a good evening."

I nod, watching her go.

"I suppose that's one way to make sure I can't use the staff." I look at Zatanna and she shrugs awkwardly. "It's not like I.. want it, but we're stuck on a parallel Earth. It could have been useful."

"If we get desperate we can chase down Power Ring Green's gauntlet."

She nods. "So what now?"

"Now we do some research. Let's find out if any of what they've been telling us is true."

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  28. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Sniahc

Hell's Razer and Mr Zoat like this.
  29. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Wasn't the -14 version of Jay Garrick (original Flash) called Slipstream? Or is this the new official name?

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

You're describing both the Batfamily and Batman Inc.

That sure looks like a no-limits fallacy to me. We already know Bruce donates shedloads to charity and social improvement. If it's not changing the world, maybe it's because even his money can't do everything, in-universe. He already has enough trouble just helping Gotham.