1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Some people might like the Green Chicken Alliance (included a man 'riding' a giant green chicken), but I thought the Fancy Dress Party as a new force in (1980s) UK politics had a lot to be said for it...

Are there likely to be any anti-demon parties in the DC Universe UK political scene, after the house clearing? You might suspect the Liberal Party not to be in favour of demonic sacrifice as an important part of the political process... So, the 'Liberal & Human Rights Party'?

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I’d imagine if this was DC writing it, the guy with the red power ring would run as part of the Monster Raving Loony party. Though really, imagine if the guy claiming to be an alien conqueror in the election a few years ago runs here.

3. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

More likely the "Liberal & Human Taste Party".

Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  4. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

To be fair, I wasn't trying to make anyone read that comic. I did say, right from the beginning, that I dropped it early because it was bad. I just thought the timing of the announcement was an amusing coincidence.

Also my phone's autocorrupt really wanted that last sentence to say "an abusing coincidence."

Bramble Thorn, Caerwen and Vorian like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

That middle bit is modern politics. Please be careful.
    Douglas Granite for President!

6. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Hey, didn't Paul have a discussion with WW early on, where he found out that there hadn't been any female PMs yet in the Britain of Earth 16?

7. Mr Zoat

No, he found out that there'd been two.

8. Gladiusone

Gladiusone Well worn.

“Lord Nelson’s got a vote!”

”No, Baldrick, Lord Nelson has a boat.”

9. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Did that answer the question of "who elects the Prime Minister"? Because I don't really think it does. In a practical sense it seems like even in a coalition government, the party with the Majority that is going to lead the government selects, among themselves, the person they want to be PM and their coalition partners can continue to support the government or not but they don't get a say on leadership. Grayven keeps making reference to the House of Representatives for instance, and the Speaker of the House is in practice chosen by the majority party in a vote among themselves, and then they all pledge to support the winning candidate (even if it wasn't an individual Rep's first choice) so that their majority of votes will decide the matter and leave the other party unable to affect things.

But what does "among themselves" mean in Parliament? All MPs of that party get to vote? All MPs plus House of Lords Members? All Members? Or is it different for each party and each party has its own selection method?

Navi-Hank likes this.
  10. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

My brother darn near killed himself taking a curvy surface street too fast. (Wrapped the car around a tree. Could barely fit a fist between the caved-in driver's-side door and the center console. The only thing that saved his life was that he was also not wearing a seat belt so he was thrown out of the seat instead of getting crushed. We found pieces of the car half a mile down the road.) Sadly, he was 18 at the time, so no amount of legal wrangling would have prevented that.

And as far as I can tell... yes, it does. I wasn't in a hurry to get my license when I was a teenager (I didn't even bother getting a learner's permit until I was already 16, didn't get my full license until I was almost 18 anyway) so if I were 20 years younger now I probably wouldn't even bother with the hassle and I'd just wait until I was 18. Which... seems to kinda contradict the entire point of the licensing laws, because it means that inexperienced drivers will be getting unrestricted permits.

Even if the laws can be silly, I kinda miss home. I should find some time to go visit my parents.

Probably "everyone is looking at him" but it could possibly also be "everyone looking at him is waiting for him".

When I was 12, my 7th grade social studies class spent some time every week on current world events. Given the significance of these events, we would have definitely covered it in class -- it wouldn't have been part of the standard curriculum, but spending a day on this kind of thing would have been entirely normal.

DAT_NOOB and Gilhelmi like this.
  11. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I live in a jurisdiction where local elections are STV, and our last election took several weeks to resolve (and there were no court cases involved). Also it was totally incomprehensible to everyone but voting systems nerds. (And, speaking as a voting systems nerd, fairly incomprehensible to them as well.) STV has serious flaws.

Not strictly true; fixed term parliaments are, as mentioned, very recent.

CTrees likes this.
  12. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

So... I wonder who will become Prime Minister in this fictional story?

13. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well...I wasn't expecting this for any update. So who gripped at Zoat that he then decided we needed a Brit-lesson? Xp

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    infinityDivided likes this.
  14. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

All voting systems have serious flaws. It is, in fact, provable that there is no perfect voting system. (As a voting systems nerd, you should be familiar with that already.)

IMO, STV's only major flaw is that the obvious way to implement it might fail to apportion mid-ranked candidates fairly under certain conditions, but the standard way of dealing with that introduces confusing math. (Specific implementations or presentations of STV might have other problems, of course.)

Not necessarily on Earth-16.

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Grayven just explained it in two short paragraphs.
    Only in the UK. Other countries have used them for ages.
    Ask me in twenty years.

16. Ph34r_n0_3V1L

Ph34r_n0_3V1L The Best Monkey

Isn't this just for Senators? One third of them are up for election every 2 years, but I thought all the Representatives were also up for re-election every 2 years?

nobodez and Bramble Thorn like this.
  17. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

He gave a superficial explanation, about as comprehensive as describing US Congressional elections as "whoever gets the most votes in the district wins". It's technically correct but doesn't cover any of the things voters care about.

To go into a bit more detail: I live in San Francisco. Our last mayoral election had three major candidates, two middling-serious ones, and five or six minor ones. (All Democrats.) In the last week before election day two of the major candidates formed an alliance against the third. 90% of the votes were in by the next morning, and they ran the STV process on an informational basis once a day until they had 100% of the vote. The winner switched at least four times in the next two weeks.
    Betting markets were 98% certain that London Breed would win around the two week mark, presumably because running some quality modeling software was worth the few thousand dollars available to someone who could front-run the general public. The actual city government didn't issue an official result for another week.

And I don't think anyone, even now, could tell you how strong a victory Ms. Breed achieved. Was it a landslide? Scraping by? I was watching those daily runs and I still have no idea.

STV spits out results which are totally opaque, and that's a very bad foundation for a system which ostensibly derive their legitimacy from the will of the people.

18. Mr Zoat

The system could be programmed to state the results at each 'elimination round'. What proportion of a candidate's final votes are first, second, third, etc preferences are in the system. They have to be for the votes to be transferred.

19. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Paul talked earlier about how he didn't have any canidates in mind for blue lanterns. But wouldn't Hinon be able to create an algorithm for recruitment about that easily enough, plus Paul's emotional sight ability does indeed work on other colors. After seeing Alan for a while, he probably basically gets what stable hope structures look like, and should be able to discern what makes a good blue lantern. Especially if they can get maltusians making blue rings, I really think a blue lantern corps idea has a future.
    (Violet and Indigo are 'taken', so probably inelgible, though I wouldn't be suprised if Kalmin could get around any security on those lights, and do have the far from center problem. Red works, but isn't something that Paul feels comfortable with, and Yellow doesn't work well against indoctrinated soldiers. Blue (and honestly red) seem like the best ideas for the moment.)

20. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I thought that back when Paul first recruited Koriand'r he said something about. Yep found it, 23 July: 2307 GMT (pg 48 of the story only, last post on page).

I have been hoping that he gets back to this someday. The twin princesses ruling together. One bringing Hope to her people, the other fulling their Desires.

Just seems poetic. Besides, Alan could help lead a new corp of Hope filled Lanterns. Keep his legacy going forever.

21. Maxx Crowley

I swear to Godzilla, if you just brought back the whole, page after page after page after PAGE, of people bitching about Starfire and the color of the ring she has like the world itself was doomed because of it, I'm going to hope you sneeze really hard and bang your head on something.

22. Gilhelmi

Oh, uhhhhh, o_O in my defense I hadn't yet read the whole thing thru and only very recently started reading comments. I only started commenting in the last couple months.

I really try and avoid these situations, but I keep tripping back in to them. People really started a flamewar over that? I mean, she could probably weld both since both hope and desire influence her so strongly.

23. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

In my opinion, the establishment of another Lantern Corps is probably not something that's going through our Illustres' mind right now. He couldn't get another Green Power Battery for Alan but since he knew Alan was hopeful enough (about him and his legacy, primary) he convinced Kalmin to make him a Blue Power Battery and systems to reconfigure the Power Ring Alan already had; that was a commission, probably a one time thing, 'cause I don't think Kalmin is going to make him another and, as he said to Guy once, all the Controllers that knew something about Power Ring technology already attuned themselves to the Orange Central Power Battery and can't make things of other colors.

If Alan gets inspired later on (or Ganthet after he gets some report about Alan and has some time to think about it) to establish the Blue Lantern Corps I'm sure the Illustres will want to help him in anyway possible, but that's already Alan's prerogative (I honestly hope for a space adventure between Alan and Paul, that may give him inspiration).

On the other hand, I don't know if Koriand'r, at this point, could use a Blue Power Ring as well as the Illustres thought before, it depends on how well you think Hope and Desire can synergize. Remember after all that Koriand'r got her soul a bit modified by the Ophidian herself and, even though Paul tried to rectify that and she can still feel the other emotions well enough, she ended up with a stronger connection to the Orange Light at the end of it. Besides that it has been a few months since then, where she has learned to probably be an effective Orange Lantern and although it may not be as bad as before the Central Power Battery got turned on, the Orange Light still affects and her way of thought could have been changed as well; instead of hoping for stuff, she may already be conditioned to want things or to focus her desire to do it herself.

Drode, Jirachi, Vorian and 1 other person like this.
  24. Maxx Crowley

Very well. For now, I shall keep leashed the doggo of war. But he's watching.

I wouldn't call it a flame war. More like a bunch of min-maxing nerds bitching about things being "suboptimal." Sure, Kori currently has the most powerful weapon in the universe on her finger that is powered by want. But if she has a blue one, she'd gain plus 10 hopey bonus!

It just went on and on and on....

25. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

So you're telling me the problem is in fact with excessive media coverage of a voting system that isn't designed for incremental tallying. That's not STV's fault, that's... getting too close to debating about modern politics so I'm going to drop it here.

Gantradies, Bramble Thorn and Ardy like this.
  26. Gilhelmi

I debated on my response to this, but I think I will risk the doggo of war......

Because, I am an avid min/maxer. Though, I sometimes prefer a more balanced approach as well. IF it wasn't a flame war (which I do hate), then I would have enjoyed over-analyzing a non-canon fictional character. Sounds like a good way to spend an evening.

I work in a machine shop, so I min/max my cycle time with part quality all the time. Drives me crazy when I have to slow a tool down to fix chatter, digging through hundreds of lines of code to find the right spot, but oh of much fun when it comes out near perfect.

Gantradies and Vorian like this.
  27. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Mr Zoat seems like they made a tv adaption of The Boys now. Haven't seen it yet so can't say if any good but thought I share since I remember you read comics and even made an alternate Paul in that verse.

Drode likes this.
  28. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm still confused about the dolphin. There's a dolphin? Why is there a dolphin? Who is the dolphin? What powers does the Dolphin have? Is it going to thank us for giving it fish, and fly away just before the Earth explodes?

Drode, Vorian, DrThoth and 1 other person like this.
  29. Threadmarks: Realigned (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

6th February
    13:09 GMT -5

"…with Xor, and it could take a week or two."

Kaldur nods. "I hope that he is able to find the answers that he seeks."

I shrug. "Neither of us are exactly expert investigators, but Alignment worlds are a bit less crazy than Earth, and I.. doubt that they're Lantern-proof. Whether we can find the truth or not, it should be a quick investigation. What comes after"

"Do you require additional assistance?"

"Require, no, but Guy's agreed to come along to liaise with their government and the local Green Lanterns."

"In that case, I will-."

Blinding white light fills the living area!

"Be not afr-!"

My construct fist wraps around the.. angel's? Body and slams it against the floor, while Kaldur leaps to his feet with his water bearers in hand!

Zauriel tilts his head upward from his prone position. "I am sorry if I have offended you-."

I let my construct dissipate, though Kaldur keeps his water bearers raised. "This is a secure Justice League facility. Quite aside from the fact that your uninvited arrival is impolite, the mountain has automated defences which are programmed to attack any intruder."

Zauriel climbs to his feet. He looks… The wings are still there, but he looks… Less ethereal than he used to. Less a being of incarnate magic and more a being of flesh who uses magic. "I beg your pardon, and thank you for your guidance. I will make note not to repeat my action."

Ugh, the one angel who gets that.

"Why are you here?"

"I have taken… The one who was formerly Noriel and Linda Danvers both into my care. I hope that I will be able to provide her with the support and guidance which she requires."

I nod. "I'm sure that she appreciates it."

Zauriel nods. "Yes, she does. But she also wants to make-. Not.. make amends, precisely, but… Purge herself, of the evils which the Linda Danvers part of herself committed."

"How about the evils which the Noriel part of her committed?"

He bows his head slightly. "Am I to understand then that you are not at peace with the agents of the Silver City?"

"Define 'at peace'. I'm.. content with the settlement we reached, but that doesn't mean that I like your people or the system you operate under."

"Should I take it that you would be uncomfortable with working with me in the future?"

Kaldur and I glance at one another.

"I would have concerns. While you can make your own moral judgements now, I'm a little worried that you might default to prior instructions rather than thinking things through for yourself."

Zauriel smiles sadly.

"I was restored to life and sent to the Earth to test whether or not I was capable of exercising good moral judgement without external instruction. I would like to know what I can do to convince you that we angels are not so malevolent as you believe us to be."

"Years of interaction, during which I come to understand why you make the choices which you do."

"If you are prepared to spend enough time with me, I will endeavour to grant you that understanding."

"Yeah…" I sigh. "Are you limited to the Earth?"

He shakes his head. "No."

"Then…" It's the only way they're going to learn. For the good of the material universe the angels need to learn to make their own decisions. "Alright, on one condition."

"Name it."

"Two of the people I've been working with in Belle Reve, Thomas and Tuppence Beresford. I think they're as close to being rehabilitated as I can get them within a prison environment."

"A beatitude upon you for your charitable work."

"Um. Thank.. you. What I want is for you to help their mother. She's an alcoholic mess, but apparently she still makes it into church each week so I'm hopeful that she'll be more receptive to you than to Alcoholics Anonymous or her parish priest."

Zauriel nods. "I would be happy to do that. I will admit that I was a little concerned with what you would ask of me."

"If you were any other angel I might have come up with something… Else. But you heard me out and you tried to warn me when the rest of the Chorus went crazy. I don’t blame you for their actions, I'm just… Cautious."

"I understand, and thank you for your forbearance." He looks around. "How should I leave?"

Kaldur steps forward. "I will show you to the door. Please follow me."

I nod to him as I raise my right hand to my forehead. "See you when I get back."

The mountain disappears and is replaced by near-Earth space. Guy's staring down at Europe and doesn't bother looking around as I approach.

"Ready?"

"If I asked you who th' first human Green Lantern was, what would you say?"

I doubt he's talking about Jordan-. From.. the.. comics… There was that guy in China… I think I remember reading that Sur lent someone a ring in the Old West… And then there's Lord Malvolio, whatever the heck he was supposed to be.

"Someone before Jordan?"

He turns his head my way. "You blowin' smoke up my ass?"

No, I… Shouldn't dick Guy around. And if someone as powerful as Malvolio was supposed to be is making waves, he'll need my support.

"Are you talking about Malvolio?"

"Hnh." He turns back to his Earth-gazing. "Yeah. Turns out the Guardians weren't bein' all that honest 'bout why they put Al on the 'Do Not Recruit' list. Some asshole got hold of a ring back in the seventeenth century. Did a whole lotta stuff us humanoids aren't supposed to be able to. When Hal told 'em about Al they were… Concerned, about maybe gettin' a repeat performance."

"Why did they tell you?"

"Guess they figure they can trust me. They wanna see if I can do the stuff he did, so's they shared their old records."

"And Jordan?"

"Nah, they just gave him a rookie t' train. Maybe they think I'm the smart one?" He smiles. "Alright, let's go see how far Xor's got fixin' his ship."

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  30. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Is him not talking in verse a symbol of changed status, or an error?

Also, lolnope Guy, you get the trustworthy ones to train, and the expendable ones to practice dangerous techniques.