1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

While I do agree with you, I find it amusing you have both of these in the same post.

Jaron, Drode, Prince Charon and 5 others like this.
  2. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

To be fair Lantern Ch'p has a power ring and doesn't he have some enhanced ability to think(I am pretty sure he took out Superman in Injustice by making a very small construct in his brain to prevent him from thinking), those are both pretty useful but combined even without plot armor he should be one of the more dangerous people around.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Prince Charon likes this.
  3. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I have unyielding hatred for what is often called a "crack-fic"

I.E Stupid, goofy shit.

Fuck consistency of character/plot/writing. Fuck continuity. Fuck all that because it's so wacky and funny!

That's what I tend to encounter as the "fun" in comics. I've laughed harder at humor in a drama work, then I ever have from a sitcom.

For the second half, I find "Here intelligence and willingness to listen have made dire situations turn into peaceful ones." to be very close to pasifistic nonsense. Which, in fictional form, drives me up the god damn wall. But I prefer to be jovial about it and I couldn't find a good hiss video that the site would actually allow...because it hates me.

Also, "And then they sat down and talked through their problems." Is not a satisfying conclusion that I would pay money for.

But I bet you understood the sound when I said Vampire hiss.

Gantradies and infinityDivided like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, Ganthet's still a regular Guardian. He was there when the SI met them. He's working on a blue personal lantern in his spare time, a project thrown into disarray by Kalmin doing the same thing.

5. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

Why would it affect his project?

6. Mr Zoat

There is now a Blue Lantern out there that he didn't pick, with a different modus operandi and without a gimped ring. And there are plenty of unaligned Maltusians on Maltus. Using the blue light is hard for Ganthet, as he's green-alligned and believes in green supremacy. He knows that if other Maltusians go for it they could build a Blue Central Power Battery far more easily than he can.

Watching the latest episode of Young Justice: Outsiders, and it looks like canon Donna is Diana mark 2. So nothing like the version in this story.

Jaron, Drode, Bramble Thorn and 11 others like this.
  7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I would expect Zoat to have high enough DC lore rating to know full well the story from the comics.

G'Nort just started showing up with a power ring, saying that his uncle was a famous GL. The Green Lanterns just accepted this story of nepotism.

Then it's revealed he doesn't even have a green lantern corps ring, he has a Qwardian made ring given to a race of space clowns who made an Idiot Lantern Corps for their own amusement. The Qwardians were trying to trash the GLC's reputation.

In the storyline that was revealed, G'nort saved Guy's life and destroyed the Idiot Lantern Central Battery.

When they got back, Guy rightfully gives G'Nort credit for being the mission MVP.

So the Guardians made him an actual green lantern.

Now I wouldn't be surprised if Zoat isn't using that story, because it makes the GLC and Guardians look really incompetent that they never noticed he had a forged ring and that they never counted high enough to notice they had an extra member.

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I dunno, that sounds pretty consistent with the Guardians as portrayed by Zoat. They're not exactly incompetent, but they do tend to have a preference for setting things up so they don't have to pay attention.

9. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

...Doesn't this contradict what you said earlier about power rings being able to even convey messages based on intent to communicate? I mean, I would assume a power rings translator would have *something* for species who use exotic communication methods.
    ...So why is he building it? I mean, it's a worthwhile thing to have someone do, but blue rings don't really do anything *better* or different than green rings, and if he's the only one making rings, the ambient hope feature probably won't make a difference.
    I do wonder if the 'prevent other people from making lanterns' function would be by default part of any project that the Maltusians / Kalmin would have for another central power battery. I mean, the light of hope isn't as... corrupting as orange, and it's hard to do a number of objectionable things with it.
    Also, wonder if there are any other non-maltusians going into power ring tech... I mean, the psion seemed pretty serious about the whole 'Could make a lantern eventually' thing, It's far from impossible that another Weaponer could go into light tech, there's probably a bunch of mages somewhere who can tap into the lights, and I wouldn't object to say, Brainiac and the computer tyrants, or the Sivanas making some forray into the field.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    DrThoth, Ngamer11, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  10. Blackgutter

Blackgutter Versed in the lewd.

For training new green lanterns here are some words of wisdom from robot chicken. “ forget about the green mile, try walking the brown mile”.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Certainly possible.

Torquemada the sorcerer green lantern was attacked by a member of the Yellow Circle, a group of sorcerers who master yellow magic.

It wasn't stated to be fear based, but then again at the time it wasn't canon in DC that yellow power rings are powered by fear either.

At the time, yellow power rings were willpower based, because that was how Guy was controlling Sinestro's ring over in Guy Gardner: Warrior. It was a plot point when Goldface's crew managed to get the ring off of Guy, various villains put it on but lacked the willpower to control it. Except Goldface, he managed it, but didn't really know what he was doing.

12. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I like to think he was working in his lab on it one day, happy as can be, when he hears that a Qwardian Weaponer is doing the same thing. He then immediately drop his tools and starts reevaluating his life choices.

13. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He gives up on hope?

Simonbob, Ardy, Gantradies and 2 others like this.
  14. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Ah, but isn't her having multiple contrary backstories a fundamental aspect of her character?

15. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I think that’s the new Merlin kid, not her? Wasn’t she just adopted or something?

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Timothy Hunter has 3 back stories that are all true at the same time, Donna Troy has a bunch of back stories with only one of them being true at the same time.

17. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, but that’s not a fundamental aspect of her character

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Which fits perfectly with the character.

19. Threadmarks: Realigned (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

6th February
    08:27 GMT

Guy looks down at the former Alignment prison ship. "Huh. Quick work."

Large parts of the superstructure which were torn asunder by the crash landing have been shoved back into place and sealed. Though… Most of the section containing the FTL drive was fried by exotic radiation. He's-.

I glance upwards for a moment.

He's cut and shut the relevant parts of the ship Martin attacked. Far safer with a power ring performing molecular bonding, and externally the only obvious change is how much shorter the ship is. Eliminating cargo storage and internment quarters it no longer needs would easily enable that.

"He work in a shipyard or somethin'?"

"No, but his self-awareness has improved a great deal since we first met. He knows that he needs this to fulfil his needs, so he can more easily work on it."

"Thing I don't get?"

"Yeah?"

"What's he need a spaceship for?"

"We're not exactly expecting a friendly reception, given that he received a 'transportation for life' sentence for murder. Staying on an Alignment planet seems like a bad idea, and while the two of us could fight their entire navy, that would result in a great many deaths and destabilise the region."

"So it's a flyin' hotel?"

"It's an FTL-capable stealth flying hotel." I frown and tap my ring. "Lantern Xor, have you created a stealth system?"

"Sensor-masking and active cooling."

"Oh, I think I can do a little better than that. Guy, you want to help out?"

Guy holds up his right hand. "See this ring?"

"Yes?"

"What color is it, smart guy?"

I shrug and fly down towards the bow of the ship, ring filtering the rocky ground beneath the surrounding ice for the elements I need. "Pretty sure Malvolio could fix up a ship."

"How'd you even know about him, anyhow? No way you got that off'f John's ring."

"You think the Controllers didn't do a full background check on me after I flew into their capital on the Ophidian? Particularly given that the split with the Guardians happened before humans were really a thing."

Hm. What form of stealth system to use? Holograms and a spatial distortion nullifier would be best for a ship that would have to sneak around an enemy, but our main combat power comes from our rings. A subspace displacement generator would probably be best. Not undetectable, but…

"Have you-?" / "That's not an answer."

"Hm?"

Won't be too hard to place the generators on the hull without compromising the other systems.

"What, you think I don't know what deflection sounds like? Or that you told me you get around Wondy's lie detector by not straight-up lyin'."

"Guy? Have you been paying attention?"

"Yeah, they didn't let me int' the Honor Guard for my pretty face." He folds his arms across his chest. "So how'd you know?"

"Adom mentioned that one of his old-."

"Pretty sure Whaler wasn't a Lantern."

"But how do you know? The Guardians have lost control of Lanterns before."

"Look, if you're not gunna tell me then just tell me you're not gunna tell me."

I only bothered reading up on Malvolio after I read an opinion piece which claimed that he would have made a better explanation for the 'Parallax' incident than either the explanation at the time (he was just really angry) or the eventual explanation (that he was possessed). Jordan was wearing Malvolio's ring after all, and the removal of the Guardians would have been to Malvolio's advantage. But… What he could actually do? Don't.. really remember.

"Alright. I'm not going to tell you."

Orange lights flicker out, forming the raw materials into the first ring of generators.

"Was that so hard?"

"All I got is a name, and a claim that he murdered his predecessor."

"Yeah, that's what the Guardians told me."

"Is that possible?"

"You'd have thought not." He shrugs. "But it worked for Chummuck so I guess not. But Chummuck got called to Oa, same as everyone else. Malvolio didn't."

I move further down the ship and repeat the process. "How'd he manage that?"

"Dunno. Magic? He coulda overridden the recall with willpower, but only if he didn’t ever sleep."

"Did they remotely wipe the ring like they did with Yalan Gur?"

"Tried. Didn't seem to slow him down much."

"Much as I'd like to be the font of all knowledge, the only other thing I know about him is that he looked like Alan."

"He-?" Guy frowns. "Kinda. I mean, his clothes look kinda like Al's old uniform." He squints at me. "Sure there's nothing else you remember?"

"Nothing of any significance. I'll let you know if anything jogs my memory. Xor, how are the internals?"

"Near completion. We will need to pull the ship into orbit."

"Think we can manage that. I've nearly got the hiding system done. Guy, who are the local Green Lanterns? We should probably call ahead."

20. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

You knew this was coming.

[​IMG]

ChestBurster, Jaron, Gholam and 56 others like this.
  21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Guy is going to find out how Paul knows, isn't he? I'm looking forward to that discussion

"I'm a comic book hero? Huh. What are my sale's numbers?"

"Uhm...hey, look, a Negative Space Wedgie!"

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Was wondering when someone else would pick up on Paul's knowledge of seemingly random and not so well known things. Is the Malvolio thing going to be given an original backstory here or not?

23. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Is a green lantern not allowed to help with this, or is he just not skilled at it? The project is part of his official duties, preparing to introduce him and the Orange Lantern Corp to a polity.
    [​IMG]

24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Sounds like quite the kludge-job. Still better than, say, the Occurence Border...

In other words, you need to sleep, you don't want people knowing where you are.

Not good enough.

Ooh, perceptive.

So many options, so little time.

Huh, amazed he noticed. must be that therapist training.

Huh, actually something of a good explanation for his displayed powers...

Wow, they actually admitted something? Mark the calender! :D

Sleeping is a choice for ring-users, admittedly. Though long-term use would still result in issues.

That would be appropriate.

Well, Guy's a sharp one, isn't he? I foresee him finding out some of OL's secrets sooner rather than later...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  25. Grek

Grek (she/her)

The Greenies aren't allowed to do tech-sharing.

26. Mr Zoat

Yes, but the more exotic the less precise the communication, and some concepts fail completely.
    Because he believes that the green mindset is limiting in some ways, and that there is benefit to having individuals with a different way of looking at things around.
    Due to how focusing willpower works, it is very difficult for Green Lanterns to build things.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He could make constructs, and that's it. :D

nobodez likes this.
  28. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

1) Greens aren't supposed to do tech sharing
    2) Green doesnt lend itself well to the more complicated stuff. For orange, you want a tech schematic materialized and installed, then it happens. For green, you need to visualize the whole process and maintain high levels of focus on each step. So green gets stronger constructs and orange gets easier use of esoterics and other tech, which is why Paul's standard anti-lantern tactic for a lantern in his weight class is rail gun crumbler rounds and not a direct attack construct.

29. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Perhaps that would make a good training exercise for the greenies. Arts and crafts. tinkering, and construction as hobbies.

30. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

But does it have a poker room?

Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.