1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: Realigned (supplementary, Renegade option)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

6th February
    14:01 GMT -6

"Good afternoon, children!"

Lynne just blinks while my namesake smiles and waves. Lynne's friend.. Rock? Looks perturbed, while the rest of the class suddenly seems a good deal more excited about their Social Science lesson.

"Class." Understandably, most of the class don't look at their teacher. "This is Mister Grayven. Given the particular role he played in the events we're going to be covering, I thought you might like it if he gave the introductory lecture."

I nod. "It should provide you with a fascinating lesson on using biased sources." I smile at the man. "Thank you for inviting me, Mister Carls."

He nods, then steps back and takes a seat at the edge of the room.

"The subject of today's lecture-" I clap my hands together. "-is the British General Election. As I hope you know, there was a bit of an incident last year which resulted in virtually the entire British legislature being put in prison. What was left was barely enough to function, but they had to wait until things calmed down a bit before they could hold the election necessary to replace any of them."

"But let's start with the basics."

Ring, holographic display.

By your command.

"Britain is a constitutional monarchy. This means that it has a hereditary head of state, but that the powers of the ruler are constrained by law. The present monarch is Queen Elizabeth the Second, and she's been in the job since nineteen fifty two."

The holoprojector cycles through a variety of historical images of her, each adapted into three dimensions from various pieces of old footage.

"But whatever the technicalities, the queen doesn't actually run the country. That's done by the head of the government. Hands up everyone who knows who the present head of the British government is?"

Lynne's hand goes up at once, and the rest of the class appear willing to let her answer it.

"Yes Lynne, I know you know. Anyone else?"

Rock's hand rises and a few others tentatively follow up.

I point him out. "Rock?"

"Jasmine Abbott."

"Correct, well done." I replace the images of Queen Elizabeth with one of Mrs Abbott. "Someone else, how many female Prime Ministers Britain has had?" A girl at the back of the class raises her hand. "Yes?"

"Three."

"Well done. Now, the head of the British government is not directly elected. Rather, they're the leader of the political party which commands a majority in the House of Commons. Anyone know what that means?"

A few hands, and I pick a boy at random.

"They have to have more people in the… The House of Commons, than any other party?"

"That's usually how it works out, but strictly speaking no. A 'majority' means getting more people to vote for it than vote against it. In the British House of Commons, there is usually one party which has an absolute majority; that is to say, more than half of the total number of Members of Parliament are from one party. In that case their leader will be selected by the monarch as the head of the government. In the American context, that's a bit like the President being the leader of the party with a majority in the House of Representatives."

"But if no one party has an absolute majority, things get a bit awkward. Unlike in America -where there are essentially only two parties in top tier politics-. All together, who are they?"

"Republicans and Democrats." / "Democrats and.. Republicans."

"Good show. Unlike that, Britain has a number of other parties who can reliably get people elected to the House of Commons. If one party nearly has a majority, they have to try to make a deal with one of them for their support. And that's important, because until very recently if a government couldn't pass a major piece of legislation that immediately triggered a new General Election. Try imagining having a new election in America every time the party of the President lost a vote."

"That sort of government is called a 'coalition government'. The third type of government that can arise in Britain is a 'grand coalition'. That's when the country is faced with such a major crisis -like a World War- that everyone agrees that there's no way to do anything but manage that crisis, so everyone throws in together. Those don't happen at other times because the people involved will have such radically divergent political ideologies that they can't work on the same things."

"Last year, a few friends and I managed to make one happen anyway when so many MPs were arrested that there were barely enough MPs left to do all the jobs they need to do." I pause. "Ah, I forgot to mention: in Britain, the cabinet is comprised of members of the House of Commons and the House of Lords, who are also expected to do their day jobs at the same time. That's like if the President had to nominate his cabinet from amongst the Senators and Congressional Representatives, couldn't pick anyone else and they had to carry on representing their states in the House and the Senate while doing their new jobs."

That gets a few confused expressions.

"The original plan was to have an election within two months. But it turned out that that wasn't practical." A majority of the remaining MPs wanted a chance to get their parties in order first, not realising or.. not appreciating that it would be a wasted effort. "So they're doing it this month, instead." Which means that there's a chance that there might be a majority of independents, rather than the Reform majority I wanted. Ah well. I can't see anyone but Geoffrey being able to command anything like a majority.

"In a British General Election-" The hologram changes to a map of Britain with the constituency boundaries on display. "-each constituency elects an MP through simple majority voting. What does that mean?"

A few more hands. I point to a girl at the front.

"The one with the most votes wins."

"Correct. The winner in each constituency becomes the Member of Parliament for that constituency immediately. Unlike in the United States, where the President Elect has a few months to get up to speed before taking over and only a portion of Representatives are up for election each time, everything is up for grabs. In theory, every single MP could be new to the job. What alternatives are there to simple majority votes?"

Hands go up and I pick one.

"Electoral colleges?"

"Correct. In an electoral college, votes from voters decide who gets votes from the college. This system is used for Presidential Elections in the United States. For homework, I'm going to have you work out what fraction of an electoral college vote an actual vote from a voter is worth in each US state." A few students frown as they try to parse that instruction. "What other alternatives?"

Nothing for a moment, then Rock raises his hand. I nod.

"Single transferable vote."

I nod. "A remarkably sensible system with a marked resemblance to the Tower of Hanoi puzzle. In a single transferable vote system-" The hologram shifts to show five columns of differing height. "-people vote for candidates in their order of preference. Once all of the first choice votes are tallied, the candidate with least is eliminated and their votes distributed to their second choice candidates."

The smallest column vanishes from the display, and the other four grow to differing degrees.

"And so on until one candidate has over half of the popular vote." Another column vanishes and another column grows significantly. "The French use something similar to elect their president: a two-round system where the winner and runner up of the first round compete against each other in the second, allowing people to shift their support from a candidate they actually like to one they could best tolerate."

"So, trick question: who elects the Prime Minister?"

Nothing for a few moments, then a hand is tentatively raised on the left.

"The party with the most Members of Parliament?"

"Ah, but remember: the cabinet have to be either Members of Parliament or Members of the House of Lords."

The hand-raiser realises that everyone is looking at him to work it out.

"So their constituency..? Unless they're a Lord? And their party?"

"And if there's no majority?"

"Ah… Other parties as well?"

"Yes, well done, I'll give you a gold star later. Now, who can name a British political party?"

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Tories and Whigs!

3. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Brexit!

Wait, their gone, now.

mauke, PurpLexed and OrigamiPhoenix like this.
  4. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Scottish National Party.
    No Candidate Deserves My Vote!
    Citizens for Undead Rights and Equality.
    Nope, still extant.

5. anechoic

anechoic they/them/theirs

The Official Monster Raving Loony Party

6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Rock? Hmm... Sounds a little... Futuristic...

Of course he's not mentioning why. Telling a bunch of twelve-year-olds (I think?) about demon worshippers might get awkward.

Good to see no favorites here.

'Iron' Maggie, Mrs Abbot, and who? I'm not up on British political history, especially the DC version....

A few hands, and I pick a boy at random.

That explains your earlier question about Cabinet positions... Americans get it marginally easier, don't they :p

So, this new government might be a total shitshow... Good luck.

Sounds... Complicated. Bet those elections take a while.

Wrong!

Fun stuff. Never thought a lecture on electoral mechanics could be so interesting. And when it's an eight-foot-plus superhero doing the explaining, I guess kids listen :p

Hmm... Wonder how we could tie this to Walpole.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    ChestBurster, BR549, Vorian and 13 others like this.
  7. Simonbob

Yeah, I was thinking Ukip.

My mistake.

RichardWhereat likes this.
  8. SpaceJelly

SpaceJelly What was I doing again...?

The only British political party I know of is the Gremloids.

9. helios

helios Praise the Sun!

The Alien Supreme Overlord Domination party!

Drode, Vorian, Ph34r_n0_3V1L and 12 others like this.
  10. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

The Benevolent Alien Overlord party. Though, I think Grayven's waiting a bit to form that.

Edit: I got ninja'd by 15 seconds and I got the name wrong. 5 likes to the blazing sun right overhead.

BR549, nobodez, Jormuungaand and 3 others like this.
  11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Does this count as modern day politics?

Buggy123, gustyeagle and DAT_NOOB like this.
  12. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

This smells like a politics ban... although I suppose if it's fictional politics for a non-existent election...

however what year/grade/form is Lynne in? I didn't cover this kind of stuff surrounding national governments (in class) until the first year of university.

13. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Oh yeah! Lord Buckethead!

14. Buggy123

My understanding was that the ban mainly applies to discussion, a story containing it isn't quite as heavily scrutinized, especially if it's modern but alternate universe politics where there are new details like "half the government had to be torn out and replaced because they were sacrificing people to demons".

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Still seems like it's a bit too close to chance.

Especially with the posts after it going on about current real life politics...

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you.
    Having an extra round adds a month or so to allow candidates to moderate their message and broaden their appeal. Single transferable vote used to be difficult, but now everything can be tallied by computer it only takes about as long as the other way.
    Not until the next election.
    Fictional politics, plus nothing Grayven's describing wasn't true twenty years ago.
    Lynne is 12. However, she has skipped grades due to already knowing a lot due to g-gnome programming.

Drode, Vorian, Gilhelmi and 20 others like this.
  17. Buggy123

It isn't. And admins usually only pay mind to that sort of stuff if its especially flammable, and no one's burnt anything down over this post yet. Saying "so and so" is the prime minister of New Zealand or w/e won't get you in trouble, starting a flame war over a current U.S. president will.

Something like the British B-word is probably somewhere in the middle; I don't think there are quite enough Brits around here to really get things going. And this isn't even about that, so i'm not gonna be holding my breath here.

18. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I will trust your judgment

This doesn't answer my question since I'd be very surprised if she was a first-year uni student.
    although maybe my School focused less on government than this fictional one.

DrThoth likes this.
  19. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

It isn’t modern politics, since it was this way for 30 + years.

Wild Transient and DAT_NOOB like this.
  20. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Ooooh oooh I know this one! It's whoever fills out the paperwork to register the party. :p

Vorian, Gilhelmi, nobodez and 12 others like this.
  21. Simonbob

'Looks confused' Doesn't the current Brit Govenment do that?

22. Buggy123

Well, yeah, duh. Everyone does. That's the initiation ritual for any up-and-coming politician, no matter the country.

But everyone puts their own little spin on it; the Brits drown their sacrifice in fine tea, which is actually a real pain because most demons don't like working around water. Something about it interfering with hellfire, I dunno.

23. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Which is my favorite political party anywhere.

Vorian and Bramble Thorn like this.
  24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I've been wondering, how did the Justice League react to Paul and Zatanna's report on the situation on Earth -14 as well as their actions? I can't imagine they were impressed, but they must have at least seen that it was the lesser of two evils. Also, have they implemented any new defenses to prevent what Olympia did from working again?

25. Mr Zoat

While Justice Legaue members are a bit quicker to read the SI's reports these days, the League as a body hasn't met to have a discussion yet. It's only been a day, after all.

26. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Ah, you forget tea is itself historically a symbol of imperialistic trade and therefore is potentially unholy.
    Tea is the Devil’s Water.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  27. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

As if the current-
    Damn it!

Also, not provably.

That's because nobody cares. And odds are that nobody would even notice if you were wrong.

28. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

The only unfortunate implication I can see so far, is that Boris Johnson being mayor of London is confirmed as canon in OL universe, and since he is the new UK prime Minister as of yesterday, fairly unpopular, and famously pro no-deal BREXIT, implying he might be a devil worshipper could get problematic.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Navi-Hank likes this.
  29. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I think we should avoid mentioning specific events about current politics, just in case, because they aren't really relevant to the current fictional political situation in Grayven's UK. At this point the political landscape of Grayven's UK is worse than the wasteland of Fallout (I think) so until Grayven puts more focus on that, which doesn't seem necessary since the Red Lantern (can't recall his name) is taking care of it, we don't need to care about it.

30. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Fortunately Boris Johnson is unlikely to be relevant again in WTR any time soon, and in this story doesn't appear to have been a devil worshipper.

Also, as long as you're relatively subtle, I don't see the problem.

Vorian, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  31. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

The one in the middle top/back looks like a Broccoli Person.
    Maybe that is the evil version of Beast Boy? The evil opposite of green animal being green plant?
    Who was then given a Power Ring because why not, they're both green.
    And of course Broccoli is secretly evil. Or maybe is it just Vegetables in generat that are evil.
    Either way, it's not easy being green.

Ha Ha, someone made you read Nu52! This is what happens when you can recognise the youtube Rick Roll link by sight. The trolls start to get creative.

Caerwen, Vorian, nobodez and 2 others like this.