• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Due to the relative simplicity of their organisation there has never been any incentive to develop one. The closest is what happened to G'nort, where they transferred to largely empty Sectors.
I would love to see either Paul's or Grayven's reaction to seeing that screw-up in action. I bet they would both be wondering "How did that moron ever become a Green Lantern?"

Had a correction get lost amidst my unrelated commentary, so I'll repost it.

Probably "everyone is looking at him" but it could possibly also be "everyone looking at him is waiting for him".
Thank you, corrected.
I would love to see either Paul's or Grayven's reaction to seeing that screw-up in action. I bet they would both be wondering "How did that moron ever become a Green Lantern?"
Green Lanterns aren't selected for intelligence, only willpower.

Isn't this just for Senators? One third of them are up for election every 2 years, but I thought all the Representatives were also up for re-election every 2 years?
Correct. Federal elections in the US are on a 24-month cycle. Terms for Representatives are one cycle, terms for President and Vice President are two cycles (and, in the case of President, are limited to 2.5 terms maximum, with fractional terms only permitted if the Vice President takes over the office of President following the death or incapacitation of the sitting President--the only such term limits in US federal politics), and terms for Senators are three cycles; in order to assure a relatively frequent change in the composition of the Senate, newly created Senate seats are divided into three classes, with two of those classes assigned shorter terms for their initial elections (one and two cycles) before switching over to standard term lengths. The result is that the entire House of Representatives is up for grabs every cycle, but only one-third of the Senate is, and the White House is only up for grabs every other cycle.

During the assignment of classes for newly created Senate seats, no state may have both of its Senators assigned to the same class, to assure that no state will ever have both of its Senators up for election at the same time after their initial election, barring death, disability, or resignation of a sitting Senator triggering a special election to select a new Senator to serve out the remainder of the former Senator's term; even then, the replacement will be up for re-election at the same time as the former Senator would have been, to keep the staggered Senatorial election system in place.

One additional note: Technically, on the federal level, the US electoral college system does not have any direct connection to the popular vote; the electors are allowed to cast their votes for anyone they want when they cast their ballots in December. Situations where electors don't cast their votes as pledged (called "faithless electors") are rare, but they do happen--as recently as the 2016 election, Trump lost two pledged electoral votes (in Texas, one to Ron Paul and one to John Kasich), while Clinton lost five (one to Bernie Sanders in Hawaii, and, in Washington State, three to Colin Powell and one to Faith Spotted Eagle). However, twenty-nine states have laws to attempt to enforce pledged electoral votes; in most of them, a faithless elector will be automatically removed and replaced until they get an elector who casts a vote for the pledged ticket. When combined with the "winner-take-all" format that 48 states (and the District of Columbia) use to select their electors, this means that, frankly, there's no formula that can give a direct correlation of how much of an electoral vote a popular vote is worth in each state except Maine and Nebraska (which each give two electoral votes to the overall statewide popular vote winner, with the rest of their electoral votes distributed according to who won in each state's Congressional district)...

In my opinion, the establishment of another Lantern Corps is probably not something that's going through our Illustres' mind right now. He couldn't get another Green Power Battery for Alan but since he knew Alan was hopeful enough (about him and his legacy, primary) he convinced Kalmin to make him a Blue Power Battery and systems to reconfigure the Power Ring Alan already had; that was a commission, probably a one time thing, 'cause I don't think Kalmin is going to make him another and, as he said to Guy once, all the Controllers that knew something about Power Ring technology already attuned themselves to the Orange Central Power Battery and can't make things of other colors.

If Alan gets inspired later on (or Ganthet after he gets some report about Alan and has some time to think about it) to establish the Blue Lantern Corps I'm sure the Illustres will want to help him in anyway possible, but that's already Alan's prerogative (I honestly hope for a space adventure between Alan and Paul, that may give him inspiration).

On the other hand, I don't know if Koriand'r, at this point, could use a Blue Power Ring as well as the Illustres thought before, it depends on how well you think Hope and Desire can synergize. Remember after all that Koriand'r got her soul a bit modified by the Ophidian herself and, even though Paul tried to rectify that and she can still feel the other emotions well enough, she ended up with a stronger connection to the Orange Light at the end of it. Besides that it has been a few months since then, where she has learned to probably be an effective Orange Lantern and although it may not be as bad as before the Central Power Battery got turned on, the Orange Light still affects and her way of thought could have been changed as well; instead of hoping for stuff, she may already be conditioned to want things or to focus her desire to do it herself.
Maybe? But I do think that 'start up a different colored lantern corps' is a logical part of solving the problem of 'we don't have enough compatible people'. I hope that there will be more people interested in glow tech due to the lantern corps happening, and if he can teach Maltusians to make power rings using his methods (which may or may not get around the limitations about bonding to the central power battery, which might not matter if they can just use the same workarounds the guardians use), it's definitely a reasonable thing to do.
Also, I'm curious how the Darkstar armors compare to say, the rocket red armors, Lex's OMAC armors, and Paul's armor. My intuition says that they are basically an improved, mass manufacturable version of the advanced rocket red armor, and possibly inferior to Paul's equipment, but I don't have enough to go on.

Howso? OL once fought off a army of angels, and only lost once the Archangel of War himself showed up. Zauriel is probably not quite up to that level.
As was pointed out, Paul doesn't have the Sword of the Fallen any long.

Nor does he have a demonic army backing him up.

On top of which if Zoat is playing things accurate Zauriel will either have Michael's sword or Michael's spear. Either of which makes the sword of the Fallen look something like a joke. (And no, Paul can't steal either, they don't work that way.)

Last edited:
On top of which is Zoat is playing things accurate Zauriel will either have Michael's sword or Michael's spear. Either of which makes the sword of the Fallen look something like a joke. (And no, Paul can't steal either, they don't work that way.)
Zauriel probably doesn't have those anymore, unless those are spells he's able to cast instead of physical/metaphysical objects that he has to actually carry. And if Paul can't steal them, then it's entirely possible that Zauriel will encounter the same problems trying to use them even if he DOES nominally still know how.

He could go back for the Spear of Destiny....that's in the same weight class as Micheal's toys.

Not a GOOD idea, but it's there.

so they don't have a "kicked upstairs" system?

Honestly, the very idea of having a problem employee who you then promote to get out of your way so they can't cause any damage is something that I don't think ultra-logical aliens would really understand.

They'd probably either demote them to a rank more suiting their competency, or fire them completely.

Zauriel probably doesn't have those anymore, unless those are spells he's able to cast instead of physical/metaphysical objects that he has to actually carry. And if Paul can't steal them, then it's entirely possible that Zauriel will encounter the same problems trying to use them even if he DOES nominally still know how.
They are Will weapons, they manifest and act according to Zauriel's will, so if anything they would be even stronger now.

Green Lanterns aren't selected for intelligence, only willpower.

They're also selected based on their courage. I mean, that's the famous, iconic command... "Find me someone without fear."

Linked traits to be sure, but it's not hard to imagine someone fearless but easily discouraged by setbacks. Or (with a little more imagination) someone who has strong willpower to pursue their goals, but prioritizes avoiding danger highly in getting there.

Maybe? But I do think that 'start up a different colored lantern corps' is a logical part of solving the problem of 'we don't have enough compatible people'.

I don't necessarily agree but I suppose is a valid interpretation. Personally I consider how much effort and knowledge should logically be required to establish a Lantern Corps (instead of how it happens in the comics where they showed up in just a few issues or something); Glow manipulation technology seems to not be easy to make, the Zamarons have been at it for a while and, although they have their spears and the Star Sapphire, they haven't really cracked it. I think is like if you had telekinetic abilities it doesn't make you capable of creating technology that can grant telekinetic abilities to other people.

After getting the Rings and Lanterns you need someone that really understands the Emotional Light that you are going to use (Sinestro for Fear, Atrocitus for Rage for example) so that you can, if not train your prospects, at least understand what side-effects there may be and other possible consequences of a mortal individual getting that power; you could probably bypass this but depending on the Light that may be bad. Combined with that, you have to dedicate time and focus on giving that nascent organization the required support to establish its functions and goals.

As you said, there may be other Maltusians getting encouraged or inspired to reignite investigation on Glow manipulation technology, but the Controllers are probably going to be busy for while making Orange Rings and Lanterns, empowering the Darkstar suits, assisting with the Fleets and probably designing more stuff like the one that made Effigy. And who knows if they could make Rings like Paul? He can do that probably because of his great connection and comprehension of the Orange Light, so unless the hypothetical Maltusian has a superb connection to the specific Emotional Light I think it would take them some time to get that connection/comprehension to just 'wing' the creation of Rings.

True, but you've already stated they have at least some measure for competence. You mentioned Hal's dishonorable discharge acting against him in selection.
I don't think I did. Jordan got selected because he could use it and Abin Sur didn't have time to be picky. Jordan's discharge meant that he threw everything he could into being the best Lantern that he could in a way that he wouldn't have if he had a career on Earth.

"How did that moron ever become a Green Lantern?"
I always wonder why comic writers create characters like this. Why? What the hell is the point?

Then I remember that there are writers ridiciously into a character like Squirrel girl....and I just sigh.

And no, Paul can't steal either, they don't work that way.
Yes, because as has been established repeatedly, YOU make the rules of what Zoat can and can not do in his work where he has repeatedly made up his own rules.

I don't think I did. Jordan got selected because he could use it and Abin Sur didn't have time to be picky. Jordan's discharge meant that he threw everything he could into being the best Lantern that he could in a way that he wouldn't have if he had a career on Earth.

They're talking about this, from episode 11 part 14:

"Green Lantern two eight one four A got Abin Sur's ring because he was closer to his crash site than Lantern Gardner."

Guy's smug could have powered Texas for a year when he got that confirmed. Turns out that the ring actually rated him slightly higher than Lantern Jordan due to the latter's dishonourable discharge. I told him that whole case was a nonsense, but I don't think he was listening.

Also, "was a nonsense"?

I don't necessarily agree but I suppose is a valid interpretation. Personally I consider how much effort and knowledge should logically be required to establish a Lantern Corps (instead of how it happens in the comics where they showed up in just a few issues or something); Glow manipulation technology seems to not be easy to make, the Zamarons have been at it for a while and, although they have their spears and the Star Sapphire, they haven't really cracked it. I think is like if you had telekinetic abilities it doesn't make you capable of creating technology that can grant telekinetic abilities to other people.

After getting the Rings and Lanterns you need someone that really understands the Emotional Light that you are going to use (Sinestro for Fear, Atrocitus for Rage for example) so that you can, if not train your prospects, at least understand what side-effects there may be and other possible consequences of a mortal individual getting that power; you could probably bypass this but depending on the Light that may be bad. Combined with that, you have to dedicate time and focus on giving that nascent organization the required support to establish its functions and goals.

As you said, there may be other Maltusians getting encouraged or inspired to reignite investigation on Glow manipulation technology, but the Controllers are probably going to be busy for while making Orange Rings and Lanterns, empowering the Darkstar suits, assisting with the Fleets and probably designing more stuff like the one that made Effigy. And who knows if they could make Rings like Paul? He can do that probably because of his great connection and comprehension of the Orange Light, so unless the hypothetical Maltusian has a superb connection to the specific Emotional Light I think it would take them some time to get that connection/comprehension to just 'wing' the creation of Rings.
"Being a Maltusian" and "Using Kalmin's tech" seem to at least partially bypass this - Kalmin got the commission for the blue lantern on august 23rd, and had it finished (including the shielded carrying case, developing an affinity for the blue light that he didn't really have before, studying a number of things and making Diana's sword) That's what 3 weeks? That's not a lot, especially considering that Maltusians have a bunch of advantages that could probably make the process go faster, and that the hundreds strong orange lantern corps apparently is operating on all manufactured rings.
"You have explained your methodology. Lanterns Koriand'r and Komand'r are both perfectly capable practical instructors. Your interstellar teleportation ability means that in the event of an incident you can return here within a minuscule span of time. And I imagine that you will find things on Earth which will keep you occupied without causing me any further difficulty."

"Um. Yes..? What about the missing rings?"

"Controller Vosk Vit Vorlanni believes that he can remotely drain them using the Central Power Battery, or at the very least prevent their use. Construct-rings are apparently different enough from true rings that he can do so without affecting our operations at all."
Again, that was Sept 12th, and the whole thing started 17th of July. In 3 months, that's hundreds of rings (EDIT: The 'hundreds of rings' thing I was thinking of was from Dec 23rd, so that's more like 6 months. That's still pretty impresive speed though). I'd expect that a Blue lantern Corps could get dozens of rings and lanterns fairly quickly (perhaps in a month?)...
Controllers like Jevek don't seem like they have to have an amazingly high affinity for the orange light, from what I've seen. It just seems mostly like a thing that maltusians can do easily enough.
And Paul's soul sight ability and experience with Alan is probably enough to get started on the training thing. And if anything, the Blue lantern corps should be *less* demanding then the orange, due to it being closer to the center of the spectrum.

Last edited:
I always wonder why comic writers create characters like this. Why? What the hell is the point?

Then I remember that there are writers ridiculously into a character like Squirrel girl....and I just sigh.
Squirrel Girl was okay at the start. Not everyone gets a useful superpower. And it kind of made sense that she could blind side Doctor Doom the first time they met. But after that... Yeah.
They're talking about this, from episode 11 part 14:
Oh yes, I remember now. It would have counted against him if it had been a normal seeker protocol selection
Also, "was a nonsense"?
It was a nonsense. He didn't do the thing he was accused of, as the Renegade timeline version proved.

I can recognize that the hype over Squirrel Girl (THE SLAYER OF ALL THAT BREATHES) has gotten way to intense but, I actually think that the recent Unbeatable Squirrel Girl comics have done a really great job of portraying how a very intelligent individual with comparatively weak superpowers can find a way to defeat overwhelmingly powerful foes.

Are you familiar with these comics? I think you would really enjoy them as many of the themes that it explores are similar to this fanfic.

Last edited:
I can recognize that the hype over Squirrel Girl (THE SLAYER OF ALL THAT BREATHES) has gotten way to intense but, I actually think that the recent Unbeatable Squirrel Girl comics have done a reall

Why can't the overwhelmingly powerful foes use similar techniques? Then "overwhelming power + cleverness" would beat out cleevrness alone.

I am trying to avoid spoliers, but one of the key things that I really enjoy about this comic series is how often Squirrel Girl achieves victory by turning an adversarial relationship into a friendship. Her "cleverness" is best demonstrated by her ability to turn a seemingly inevitable confrontation into something that is healthier.

I think that it is really similar to what Orange Lantern tries to do with Supervillains in both the Paragon and Renegade timelines.

Yes, Squirrel Girl is truly the ideal of superheros. Here intelligence and willingness to listen have made dire situations turn into peaceful ones.

I am trying to avoid spoliers, but one of the key things that I really enjoy about this comic series is how often Squirrel Girl achieves victory by turning an adversarial relationship into a friendship. Her "cleverness" is best demonstrated by her ability to turn a seemingly inevitable confrontation into something that is healthier.

I think that it is really similar to what Orange Lantern tries to do with Supervillains in both the Paragon and Renegade timelines.
Summed it up better than I ever could.

Honestly, I'm a bit confused about how central power battery bonding is a problem for forging rings. I mean, the guardians can be assimilated, so it isn't impossible to mess with that connection and convert it to something else, and I'd think that you could simply... temporarily unbond with the battery, then reconnect once you are finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back