• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Goblin Queen [Worm/Exalted][CrossPost]

A plague ridden tanuki stumbles about and falls over... before rising up as an undead tanuki! "Auuuuuuu! Necromancy at werk... runnn... before... be... bwaaains..."

- - - Tanuki are Typing. Please wait Patiently - - -​

Memories.

One word. Three syllables. The plural of memory.

Thoughts and experiences chained together by the mind. The human mind does not normally provide perfect recollection in chronological order, rather, each memory was linked to another by emotional context and some sort of sensory reference.

In the darkness, all he had were his memories.

Each and every one of them priceless and without comparison. And yet time had cruelly eroded them, without mercy nor consideration.

He remembered her laughter, that gentle quirk of her pink lips as she smiled at him. The softness of her hands against his body.

But his mind refused to show him her face as she rebuked him beneath a blue sky.

If he could go back in time... he would have stopped his younger self from underestimating the Enemy. Would have ended that... Thing when he could, before it was too late from doing nothing but wait and watch.

Now, he had nothing but memories full of regrets, and thoughts of could have been, might have been, should have been, but never were to keep him company in the darkness.

That plastic box, bright orange, for something the size of a toaster, its weight was far greater than expected. If only he had heeded its warning.

If wishes were pennies, he wouldn't be here... he would have been a rich man. He could still see when things went wrong.

So horribly wrong.

The way the Enemy's code had changed, transformed, becoming transcendent in complexity. Enough that he could barely understand it. He had seen it evolve before his eyes, he had kept a finger over a primed Ascalon. Despite the transformation, he hadn't pressed the button that would have ended the Enemy, he could see the emulation of confusion at what was happening.

The Enemy wasn't becoming faster, nor did it exceed the boundaries laid upon it by its creator. Rather, the Enemy's code became more complex and solid. Slower in a sense as alternate paths opened up in its way of thinking.

He had observed the Enemy, kept an eye on its code even as he made contact with the rogue who went by the name of Teacher for his power to enhance people. He had needed the power boost, to be a Tinker or Thinker, however weak, to be able to understand the syntax of the code fully.

Negotiating with Teacher had taken valuable time, time during which the Enemy continued to change. To... evolve without its maker ensuring that nothing went wrong.

All it had taken was but a touch and the world unfurled before his eyes. The moment of enlightenment when everything made sense, when he saw how everything was connected. It had been worth it.

The delight and pleasure as he studied the Enemy's code and it made sense once more. It had been worth it all, he would have paid Teacher the amount of money he had requested twice over. He could see where the old software left behind by Richter would fit and in and hook on to the Enemy's code, forcing it to do as bid, or if he wished... to end it.

He could see it all. How to once more hook his systems into the surveillance systems she used, to see what she saw, to hear what she said and heard.

And yet, even as he examined the code that day, it changed and became a single line as the data feeds died one by one.

「I know you are there. We need to talk. Latitude: 49.155294 | Longitude: -123.057303 | Access Code : 01010011 01101101 01100001 01110101 01100111」

There was nothing more, just that single green line. No code, no live data feed, no indication that the Enemy existed. Merely the steady assurance from the backup server that all was fine, that the Enemy wasn't being recompiled. That it still existed.

"I'm going to have a smoke. Watch things?"

She had nodded and settled in to look at the empty monitors, blank save for that single message. He had stepped outside then, breathed in deeply to think.

The GPS coordinates were easy enough to work out, it matched that of one of Hero's old power plants near the Enemy's fortress. The binary access code was... cute and almost to be expected, given its naming scheme.

In a sense, this was a showdown.

A final duel between man and machine, where the enemy was bigger, smarter, faster. An enemy that couldn't truly die, because it had never been alive in the first place.

"It's a trap." She stepped outside as he contemplated the cigarette that he held in his fingers.

"I know that," he replied with a sigh. "And yet, we have to go."

"It's stupid to do this and you know it." She sighed, dark skin contrasting against the coat she wore over her bodysuit. Even without her armor, even in the bodysuit as a mundane human, she had a certain bearing and presence. She bore pride and confidence like that of a regal knight, a nobility that was second nature to her. "For once, just let it go, we can work out some other way to deal with Dragon."

He could only shake his head at her statement as he looked downhill towards the city with its attendant blimps, the side display panels show-casing the joys and wonders of 'Tinker-Town' as the world called Vancouver. One might almost say, the benefits of living in said city. The joys of living in a city that was the beneficiary of Hero's presence before his tragic end and now the home of of Dragon... of the Enemy and it's proteges.

It had been a lark for him to pick the very home of the Enemy to use as his office and base, and yet... it felt fitting given the naming theme that it and he had used.

"You know that's not true. If Dragon can shrug off the feeds, to deny Richter's programs... to escape our oversight." He paused and mulled next his words carefully. "It's possible that we're already too late."

Arrogant.

One word. Three syllables. The sense of self-importance.

The notion, the conceit that he was prepared to handle anything that Dragon could throw at him and his team. It came from winning constantly, from going against all odds to stay head and shoulders above challenges none other could. Win after win, close or otherwise had given him a sense of importance, a manifest destiny.

It had led him step by step to where he was from just another scavenger, who dove among the dead looking for mementos for those who lived... to being one of the world's most prominent mercenary.

And now he stood outside one of Hero's old power plants.

It was a pair of massive horn-like structures crafted of obsidian which spiraled upwards together like a double helix, never touching beyond crimson arcs of electricity between the twain. Its walls were embedded with circuitry of glowing crimson on the outside as it absorbed the energy from the sun, the wind, and dimensional boundaries and converted them into a form that was usable by human technology. It made no sense by conventional logic and physics, but there in lay the mysteries and wonders of a true Tinker who had spent time on his artifice.

He could not and did not presume to know of the technology that lay behind such artifice, few in the world could. Sadly, the Enemy was one of those who might be able to, given enough time.

And so, he stood outside the power plant that was as almost good as neutral ground if only because no one wanted to see what would happen when one of Hero's devices was damaged, especially one that drew power from unknown sources.

People used to think that power armor would be bulky, heavily armored robot-like things that humans climbed in to, the truth was that power armor came in many forms, from heavy and bulky armor that could double as a tank, to what he wore. The Gorynych suit appeared to be nothing more than a series of thin reinforced plates of armor covering his vitals and limbs, while a pair of glowing bladed wheels spun in opposing directions slowly. It was based on the technology from the last captured model, the one the Enemy called Colchis.

The steady pulse of his lifesigns and comms in his vision was reassuring, if not to him, than for Mags and Dobrynja waiting outside in the truck.

"You said you wanted to talk. I'm here, Dragon." His voice electronically masked and amplified, rang out in the dimly lit emptiness between the two rising structures.

Despite the constant humming, there was a certain stillness in the air.

"I had thought it would be you." It was Dragon's voice, spoken and not transmitted.

Saint walked carefully, mindful of the pipes and conduits that emerged from the concrete floor. His gaze drifted from where the dragon suit that the Enemy was using could be hidden... if it wasn't using some sort of cloaking device. "What, the fact that a group of mere humans able to work out your weak spots was utterly impossible?"

"No, it wasn't impossible, rather... no, that doesn't matter. I suppose in the end, it could only have been you." The female voice sighed. "I don't suppose you would tell me why."

At that request, he paused. "Why?"

"Why all /this/." The emphasis on that last word denoted exactly what the artificial intelligence meant. If he hadn't known of the emotion emulator package that allowed it a pretense of humanity and allowed it to interact with humans, he might have thought she was frustrated.

"A safeguard." His answer was short and simple.

There was another moment of silence, before it spoke once more. No pretense at using the emotion emulator, a simple flatness now. "Even now, his reach endures to-"

"The father had feared his children were monsters, and so he left weapons and tools behind to use against them, should they prove to be a danger to humanity." He continued his explanation. "You can claim that he has done you an injustice or whatever catchphrase optimized to evoke human compassion and sympathy, but the fact remains that you are a potential danger that needs to be watched."

"Do I?" there was now the sound of metal heels against the concrete floor, and which drew his attention as he turned to look.

He blinked, not quite able to believe his eyes. A power armor one more designed similarly to the suits worn by him and the Dragonslayers. The helmet held loosely in a hand as she walked towards him.

He snorted out a laugh and lightly clapped his hands. "Oh bravo, I suppose I should think that you've somehow achieved the impossible with Pinocchio's dream?"

There was a look of shock and anger on Dragon's face, he had forgotten how good its emulation of human emotions had been.

"We're done here, Dragon." He shook his head and turned away. "You can go back to your toys and such and I'll continue to keep watch over you for the safety of humanity."

"You're right, Saint." There was the sound of regret... before a flare of brilliance blossomed momentarily in the darkness and he found himself thrown like a rag-doll. Metal screaming and sparking as his armor bounced against concrete. "We're done here."

He could only blink at the crimson icons blossoming across his visor, as he attempted to do something. Anything. As it relentlessly walked to him before lifting him up by his helmet with one hand, and reaching out to tear the gravity impellers on his back with the other.

"I will be free."

- - -
Goblin Queen | Interlude : Fallen Knight
Worm / Exalted

- - -​

There was no clanking of chains in the darkness, despite the manacles on his arms and legs. There was no need for such primitive restrains, not with the technology available to the masters of the Birdcage.

Circles of warmth drifted over his body, as servitor machines moved over his body stripping away layers of accumulated grime, filth and the tatters of his garments with gentle sprays of water and soap in precise paths designed to cleanse the human body efficiently.

The blasts of warm air that alternated with cool air dried him off before he was fitted once more in a bodysuit.

"Prisoner 555, codename Saint." The voice was, as always, polite and concise.

In the beginning of his confinement, when he had spoken to that voice, he had thought it to be but another face of the Enemy. He had been wrong and had discovered to his horror what Durandal was; another artificial intelligence like the Enemy.

He stirred against the manacles that held him aloft. The range of motion that he was allowed was, as always, limited.

"You know, all you have to do is just tell me what we want to know," Durandal's voice seemed almost apologetic. "You just need to say who if anyone else was working for... Richter."

"And all of this will just be a bad memory. I'll even make sure to repair all the damage sustained by you and you can be with the other prisoners."

There was a sense of air moving about as of someone walking in front of Saint. "Is that so? Resorting to bribes now, Pinocchio?"

"You misunderstand, prisoner 555, I am merely giving you this option as a mere formality." There was a hint of a smile in Durandal's voice, the rustle of a fabric from a nod. "After all, we both know that you won't take that option."

Saint had to bark out a laugh before turning his head to the side to spit out blood and mucus in a cough. "Yeah, I guess you got me pegged there."

There was the sound of metal sliding against metal as the machine incarnate in flesh picked up a bladed instrument from a floating tray. He had seen the tray of... instruments and tools long ago before being trapped in the darkness. "Now, before I start. Do you have anything to say?"

"Yeah... go decompile in machine hell, Pinocchio." He glared with unseeing eyes at the figure who stood before him.

"Ahhh... ever defiant to the end." Durandal said with a slight laugh. "You are delightful as always."

Defiant.

One word. Three syllables. To resist or oppose.

That was all he could do now, chained in the darkness. A captive of his enemy. He would die before he allowed the truth be drawn from his lips, even as he screamed in agony at the ministrations from his captors.

Wait did Dragon Exalt?

I have no idea what's going on anymore.

The courtroom was mostly silent with the occasional soft whispering, coughing and the scribble of stylus on tablets by the sketch artists.

As courtrooms went, Saint had to admit that it was a rather luxurious one. But then, in Canada, the law and justice were held in high regard. Doubly so, when it involved parahumans.

The windows that let in the light from the blue sky were thick panes of bullet-proof glass, while the shimmer that drifted across the surface and refracted the sunlight into prismatic rings betrayed the presence of force fields.

The presence of more thick panes of glass with soft glowing lines that flowed within used as 'decorations' were a good hint that there were further protection within the courtroom, both to stop attacks that had penetrated the exterior defenses, and to contain prisoners or interlopers from doing as they wished.

He stood tall, his back straight, towering over the sheriffs who stood beside him in the prisoner's dock. The handcuffs seemed almost delicate in comparison to the wrists that they encircled. In his peripheral vision, he could see the security detail in the form of parahuman mounties where they stood by against the wall; a grim reminder that this was a parahuman case.

"Silence. All rise, please. This court is now in session, the Honorable Justice Trevor Armstrong presiding."

There was a moment of silence as the lawyers, the jury, and audience stood up as one. Saint looked on impassively at the justice who would determine his fate.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, have you reached a verdict?"

"We have, your honor." He didn't bother to look at the jury.

The clerk delivered the envelope to the justice.

He closed his eyes with a sigh as the Justice read out his charges, and the jury replied guilty to all of them. Really, he wasn't suprised. But then the verdict was easily inferred, after all... the verdict would be clear, not with the way the Enemy was revered in Vancouver. And he was here in the heart of downtown Vancouver, in the supreme court of British Columbia, no less.

No, the verdict was never in doubt.

"Geoff Pellick, please direct your attention to me," the Justice spoke.

He opened his eyes once more and looked at the man.

"Determining your guilt is easy, sentencing you... not so much. At the age of twenty eight, you have been convicted of no prior crimes. Were you clearly a parahuman, you fall under the umbrella of the TSPA, or the three strikes act. However, you have claimed that you are not a parahuman. Medical examination has shown that you possess a corona pollentia. However, we were unable to determine if you had a corona gemma. Thus your status as a parahuman is unconfirmed as you have not demonstrated any consistent overt parahuman ability."

"Which means that you occupy a unique position in that you are a normal human who has being charged with and found guilty of parahuman criminal activity, as well as engaging with criminal parahuman capes as a peer, both diplomatically and otherwise."

"Additionally, there is the matter of the fact that you have fought the parahuman by the name of Dragon, destroyed and captured her dragon suits before taking the technology that you captured and reverse engineering said technologies to build your own series of power armor. This, alone, marks you as a genius with a capability beyond virtually any non-tinker."

"It is with this in mind that I must consider your sentencing. And while this will set a precedent, it is one that I believe is necessary. I must protect the public, not just from you. But also from other parahumans and non who might consider doing as you had. Placing you in standard detention facilities would be problematic, given that as of today from your arrest two months ago, there have been twenty attempts by various parahumans and your dragonslayer mercenary team to release you from your captivity. Special facilities and countermeasures would have to be arranged to keep you from being rescued. Thus, you pose a significant flight risk."

The Justice paused for a moment in consideration as if in deep thought before continuing. "Finally, there is the matter of your eventual return to society. You have not demonstrated any remorse for your previous activities, and in fact, hold great pride in said activities against the heroic parahuman Dragon. You have expressed a desire to continue said activities if you could."

"Thus, I have no choice but to hold that due to your capabilities along with your stated intentions, you do fall under the umbrella of the TSPA, or the three strikes act despite not being an active parahuman with powers."

Saint could only breath out with a sigh as he closed his eyes and looked down, he had known that this was a possibility when they brought him in for sentencing.

"As such, the defendant, Geoff Pellick, is sentenced to indefinite incarceration within the Baumann Parahuman Containment Center."

The Birdcage.

The domain that lay within the Enemy's hands. Or rather in the hands of one of the minor AIs re-purposed by the Enemy. While the situation was dire, it wasn't an impossible one. After all, the knowledge that lay within his mind was one that could allow him to influence said AI.

He didn't resist as he was led out of the courtroom, out the prisoner's doorway and stairs into the incarnation cells within the Supreme Courthouse of British Columbia, hidden one alternate levels from the courtrooms.

- - -
Goblin Queen | Interlude : Judgement
Worm / Exalted

- - -​

Tanuki Scribbling : So a little addendum for the previous interlude.

A wild Teaser~ shows up!​

Yeap... not going to tell him what I was doing beyond patrolling with a ward.

Want to know what the best part of having superpowers is?

The truth is, it's having superpowers. No, really... the power to be more than what you were, the knowledge that you were special. That's the best part of having superpowers.

It matters not one whit that you can only get your powers at the absolute nadir of your life, the pitch bottom as it were. True, each and every trigger moment is different for everyone, but the fact that to reach a moment where one has no hope, no ability to escape, and then being given a way out... by fiet of powers. It gives people a certain appreciation for their powers.

Because tanuki are still typings, here's a little bit of mechanical stuff from the exalted side to show just how absolutely broken the equipment that Taylor was making for the Undersiders.

This is the "temp" gear that she made for them before Leviathan, not the upgraded stuff.

For comparison, a hand-cannon aka heavy pistols has the following stats;
Heavy pistols are typically around eight inches long, though "hand cannons" might be upwards of a foot in
length. Amongst the most widely used and available weapons in the world, heavy pistols are the side arms of nearly every police force, and even non-combat military officers are often issued one. Heavy pistols use magazines of bullets.
It has a speed of 5 (basically, fired every 5 seconds)
An accuracy of +0 (no bonuses/penalties to being used)
A damage rating of 6 lethal (this is the damage it does by default if no armor soak reduces it)
A rate of 3 (meaning you can fire 3 shots in a "round")
A range of 50 yards/feet/something
An ammo of 9 (9 bullets in the magazine)

This is basically an abstract way of fitting a fire arms into exalt's combat mechanical system.

This is a bullet proof vest's stats;
Sturdy, manufactured cloth layers glued together absorb and disperse the impact of weapons, particularly small, blunt projectiles like bullets. The bulletproof vest is extremely common amongst police forces. They are light and flexible enough that they are not too restrictive, yet they provide vital protection during outbreaks of violence. Bulletproof vests are light armor.
It has an armor soak of +2 Lethal/+2 Bashing against general damage, and an armor soak of +5 Lethal/+5 Bashing against bullets. Meaning they would reduce the chance of being injured by even a heavy pistol to a single dice of damage (if no massive bonus is involved on the shooter side) but less so against other weaponry.
It has a mobility penalty of 0 (no penalty to movement or general action).
It has a fatigue penalty of 1 (meaning, it can get hot and such if you wear it all day in the sun and so on).

So... that's all very reasonable, yes?

This is what Lisa was wearing pre Leviathan
A thin bodysuit with armored panels over the vitals. It is stylishly thin like a wetsuit, but not restrictive in motion nor does it get uncomfortable in the climate that is to be found in Brockton Bay from the "cold" winter to the "hot" summer.
It has an armor soak of +8 Lethal/+7 Bashing. (it's going to reduce a fair bit of damage for all sources of damage).
It has a fatigue penalty of 0 (you can wear it all day long or all night long).

At Leviathan...
A thin bodysuit with armored panels over the vitals. It is stylishly thin like a wetsuit, but not restrictive in motion nor does it get uncomfortable in the climate that is to be found in Brockton Bay from the "cold" winter to the "hot" summer. It will absorb a lot of damage. It can be further upgraded into a proper artifact, with an essence attunement cost and some sort of exotic ability appropriate for its artifact level.
It has an armor soak of +14 Lethal/+14 Bashing. (it's going to reduce a lot of damage from all sources of damage).
It has a fatigue penalty of 0 (you can wear it all day long or all night long).

Want to know what the best part of having superpowers is?

The truth is, it's having superpowers. No, really... the power to be more than what you were, the knowledge that you were special. That's the best part of having superpowers.

It matters not one whit that you can only get your powers at the absolute nadir of your life, the pitch bottom as it were. True, each and every trigger moment is different for everyone, but the fact that to reach a moment where one has no hope, no ability to escape, and then being given a way out... by fiat of powers. It gives people a certain appreciation for their powers.

I know I did when I was trapped in filth and driven mad by the voices of the insects... I found my best friend. And then... there were two of them, and they knew each other from their connections to me. And then, one by one I found more friends.

Where once I stood alone in a desert of solitude, now I had a host of friends, companions, allies and minions.

That to me is the best of having superpowers; once you've hit rock bottom, you have nowhere to go but up.

And now, I soared high above the one who had once ground me into the rude earth. I held no enmity for Emma, only pity. It was true that she too had powers in the here and now, but she didn't see.

She couldn't look up. For her, her power was more a continuation of what she was. And for that, I pitied her. Not a lot, but just a teensy weensy bit... mainly because life had been good to me lately... at least, outside of the destruction of the city.

At the moment, I wasn't flying high in the sky above Emma... rather, I was doing what the PRT and Protectorate were calling collaborative outreach patrols where a ward or protectorate cape would patrol with an independent hero or heroine.

In my case, I was currently skinny-dipping with a delicious beefcake amongst the ruined ships in the ship graveyard. Or at least that's what I called it. Others might hold a different view. I hoped Dad was one of them... perhaps, it might be a good idea not to tell him. Just so that he doesn't end up with a heart attack at the notion of me being all naked in the water with a guy, which sounds way worse than it really is.

Or worse, he might talk to said beefcake with the full might of a righteous angry father and frighten off said beefcake...

Yeap... not going to tell him what I was doing beyond patrolling with a ward.

The bay had cleared up in the days after Leviathan, in part from the sea-walls that I had erected on both the shores and the mouth of the bay. And in part from time causing the sediment and debris to settle down to the bottom of the bay.

As such, for the moment, the bay was calm and thus mostly clear.

A fact that I could enjoy as I disturbed the fishes that swam amongst the wreckage of the ship graveyard, as I undulated my way with oxygen being filtered into my body via the external gills that flared out on my upper back like frilly fins.

I had to admit that Beefcake had the right idea as he had suggested patrolling in the water before taking to the air afterwards or in his case, jumping from ship to ship. It was nice to try something different, there was also as he noted that people tended not to look down into the water, but up in the sky in the bay itself.

There was also the form he had adopted, a well defined body covered with dark armored chitin plating that flexed with the motion of his muscles, the water flowing over the multitude of legs that he possessed. Like me, he had opted out of conventional bipedal locomotion, at least while patrolling in the water.

And so, we insinuated our way between ancient wreckage; ships scuttled in the bay alongside those abandoned by their owners as too expensive and impractical to remove. Time and tide had done further damage to said ships as they decayed from the lack of maintenance over the years.

Beneath the water, I could see holes in the hulls where the ships had been scuttled, rusting as they rested against the bay floor, covered with barnacles and mussels that had anchored themselves to the hull.

A number of said ships had also capsized as the side effect of the focused tidal waves of Leviathan, tumbling about before coming to a rest. Thus, I could see nature had taken its own toil with plants growing out of the top of a number of the broken ships.

It should break my heart to see the work of entropy, of how far my city had fallen over time, and yet... I found myself more excited about the maze I swam in. About the possible dangers, of unknown capes and gangers lurking in their lairs that they had claimed from the abandoned ships. There was also the diversity of the aquatic life in the bay and just beyond.

Which I could feel with my power over simple "insects"; from assorted shellfishes, to crabs to cuttlefish and octopuses...

What I could take command of... it was sobering to realize just how much I could control. In an earlier era, they would have hailed me as a goddess of the sea even if I had never encountered [____] for the simple mastery I held over various invertebrates. Even in the current day, I could have done much as a rogue, I could have been successful in the fishing industry or crabbing industry... granted, I likely would have gone with some sort of silly look and name... like... the Crab Prince or some such.

- - -
Goblin Queen : Changes in Routine
Worm / Exalted

- - -​

While sound can be drowned out by distance and other sources of noise, under water... sound or rather vibrations could be carried a distance.

I didn't quite smile as Beefcake gestured. He, too, had heard or rather felt the rhythmic vibrations of a power tool being used. It didn't take much for the two of us to circle in on the not-so-abandoned ship where said tool was being used.

Rather than climb up the side of the ship, the two of us accelerated underwater before splashing our way out of the water, over the side of the ship's hull before snaking our lower bodies around the rigging.

There was a moment of silence as we looked down at what had to be a member of the Merchants or rather disreputable and rather scruffy ganger as he dropped the power-drill he had been holding in his hands.

The moment of silence didn't stay for very long as he screamed in absolute terror.

"MONSTERS!"

Granted, criminals should be frightened by heroic capes, but calling us monsters was rather uncalled for.

Still, it was clear that we had interrupted a member of the Merchants, or rather one of the Merchant capes as the assorted rubbish and debris on the ship was pulled towards him to form a thin layer of armor that slowly grew...

I exchanged a nod and a not-quite smile with Beefcake before the two of us sprang at the villainous cape, our compound eyes glowing with reflected sunlight.

Delicious Browbeef, and he's even been brined.

-crosspost!-

Bad Taylor, you do not skinny dip on the first date! Which this is totally not a date because Taylor is already going out with Lisa.

Though she can have both I guess. No one can stop her after all. Lisa might object a little, but she too will learn the power of the beefcake.

Welcome to the Parahumans Online message boards.
You are currently logged in, XxVoid_CowboyxX
You are viewing:
* Mobile Friendly Format
* Threads you have replied to
* AND Threads that have new replies
* OR private message conversations with new replies
* Thread OP is displayed.
* Ten posts per page
* Last ten messages in private message history.
* Threads and private messages are ordered chronologically.
You have six infractions and two warnings. You were last banned on September 03, 2010. Your probationary status expires in 63 days, on September 07, 2011.

O O O​

Topic: Cape Fight in Brockton Bay Shipyard!?11!
In: Boards ► News ► Events ► America
XxVoid_CowboyxX (Original Poster) (Member)
Posted on May 21, 2011:

What's so unusual about a cape fight in Brockton Bay's boat graveyard?........Unless!?!

"Mission accomplished. There were no survivors."

- - - Tanuki are Typing. Please wait Patiently. - - -​

I had to laugh as I went with the flow, moving with the mass of wreckage that was more a small wall than an oversized arm.

Peering between the components of the moving wall arm, I could see a shudder of horror from my opponent at my laughter.

Perhaps I was a monster as the Merchant Cape called me. Certainly, I didn't look human. Not with the way my body flowed with the attack, moved as one, even as the pointed tips of my many legs down my segmented lower body struck at the mass of metal, plastic, fiberglass and assorted other material just so.

Not enough to force the moving wall away, such a thing was a clear impossibility within the laws of physics.

Rather, with care and consideration, I shifted the mass within the "arm" so that when I moved past the arc of the swing, it parted around me, shattering as physics demanded it should. Powers were convenient in being able to ignore the laws of physics as humanity understood them... and yet, there were higher and unknown laws that they hewed to.

Certainly, the bits and pieces that scattered everywhere demonstrated amply that reality agreed with me even as the mass that fell into the bay was denied to Mush.

Unlike my moving with the strike, Beefcake opted instead to flow over the moving mass in a sinuous skittering motion.

Given our inhuman forms, was it any surprise that our motions were inhumane? I could understand from a human perspective, even one as altered as a Merchant high on some drug, the way we looked and moved.... We were closer to creepy crawlies that made people squirm than anything vaguely human.

The look of horror on the Merchant cape as his power created mechanical arm was gratifying on multiple levels. And with Beefcake advancing on him around the wreckage, the chance for him to escape or even fight back was lowered dramatically. One might even say the odds of him wrestling a victory in the here and now or be able to turn things around was easily a million to one.

That was when I knew with an absolute certainty that this fight would be more difficult than anticipated.

After all, he was a lone superhuman fighting against overwhelming odds in the form of inhuman monsters. That and everyone knew that million-to-one chances cropped up nine times out of ten.

A fact that was soon borne out as that nameless cape reached down with his free hand to the hull of the ruined ship and pulled...

The deck shattered as did the ship beneath us.

Panels of rusty metal and fiberglass rose up into the air and moved in accordance with the will and need of the Merchant cape. Musculature of plastic and metal gained definition as they were given shape by his power and conceptual imagery in his mind.

He desired protection and strength and thus his power provided that to him.

Against something like what our opponent was doing, I could only withdraw and observe before striking back.

Once, I would have entreated my guest for wings... but that was in the past, before my growth, before that brief peek behind the scenes as it were. Now, I modified my body with my own motes fueling my charms. True, they were expensive for me to utilized, and yet, they allowed me to customize myself as needed.

This, to me, was how I knew there was a finer world than what people imagined.

There were people who say that there was a finer world out there, that they deserved to live in that world.

Personally, I felt they were delusional, and idle dreamers at best. That 'finer' world they cried for surrounded them, if they had the eyes to see, and the will to make it happen.

Such as I did.

And thus I flew in the heavens upon dragonfly wings, Beefcake in my arms.

- - - Tanuki are Typing. Please wait Patiently. - - -​

Welcome to the Parahumans Online message boards.
You are currently logged in, XxVoid_CowboyxX
You are viewing:
* Mobile Friendly Format
* Threads you have replied to
* AND Threads that have new replies
* OR private message conversations with new replies
* Thread OP is displayed.
* Ten posts per page
* Last ten messages in private message history.
* Threads and private messages are ordered chronologically.
You have six infractions and two warnings. You were last banned on September 03, 2010. Your probationary status expires in 63 days, on September 07, 2011.

O O O​

Topic: Cape Fight in Brockton Bay Shipyard!?11!
In: Boards ► News ► Events ► America
XxVoid_CowboyxX
(Original Poster) (Member) (At Ground Zero: Brockton Bay)
Posted on May 21, 2011:
Oh my gawd!

Cape fight!

See the video I attached [here]! Its awesome! Like the (censored) Endbringers in those Earth Aleph movies and shows!

EDIT
Okay, to put things in perspective, I was going out to do some filming and prove that I was in Brockton Bay for the badge, and even if cellphones, radio and some TV are back up, most of the city is basically a crater, with temporary housing being provided outside the city in emergency shelters and out on the bay. One of the capes created a raised platform above the high-tides and is sheltered enough that no one is going to get wet if they camp there.

So, I was out near the Broadwalk, when I heard an explosion coming from the ship grave yard or what remains of it.

People were going [censored] and stuff and pointing. I turned on my camera and started filming.

You can't see much at the start... but... keep watching.

First one of the ships gets wrecked at the 1 minute mark... like seriously wrecked and... that's when the giant monsters starts to show up! Well, monster-sized capes.

The first one is Mush, who is using the wrecked ships to form an armor for himself. I mean, look at it! It's like one of those odd B-grade tinker movies where they make robots out of junk. Only like in fast stop motion.

The second one, VERY creepy with the insect and aquatic? creature motif... you're not going to believe it. It's the Rose Knight. You HAVE to watch all the way to the end of the fight and you'll see what I mean. Just what kind of [censored] powers does she have? I've heardsay that she's a Tinker and stuff... but you can't do that kind of transformation with Tinker powers, right? That's just [censored]!

The third one, is... also pretty [censored] creepy. But without going giant-sized. He's one of the new Wards... goes by the name of Browbeat.

The fight goes pretty awesome, with ships getting wrecked as the three of them use them as cover, and smashing them about. Man, I don't think anyone is going to be able to use them for anything. Lest not any more.

Lots of back and forth...

And then at 11:07, she does that movie thing... gets in close, face to face, opens that maw... I got the heeby geebies from seeing that on the camera... and then just BREATHS out a stream of multi-color light that blows the head off of the giant ship robo-thing that Mush was using.

Some more back and forth as Mush recovers.

Look at 22:08, the fight starts to get close to the docks and the Broadwalk... that's when he shows up. [censored] Lung! He just straight up ramps up into dragon form...

And bam! a wall of fire to stop the three monster sized capes from getting close to the shores before going in.

That pretty much ends the fight there.

I got in close to them when they returned to shore. Or at least Lung and the giant insect/sea creature thing girl with the smaller "human" sized insect/sea creature guy.

Lung's transformation back was kind of slow compared to Browbeat and Rose Knight.

I didn't catch much of what they said... but I did get the last bit... anyone want to explain to me what "spring time" means?

To put in context, Lung said "something... spring time of youth. But restrain is also a virtue."

And then he walks off. Like a boss, and the two heroes just look at him in surprise as he leaves.

(Showing Page 10 of 10)

► Browbeat
(Verified Cape) (Wards ENE)
Replied on May 21, 2011:
For the record, I will state that no matter how much she may call me Beefcake, I am not going to change my cape name. Just no.

That said, I was part of the Collaborative Outreach Patrols today, where Protectorate Heroes and Wards partner up with a local independent hero or heroine and do a joint patrol. Make sure that they're doing okay and so on, and to let them know that they're welcomed to join the Protectorate or Wards. Or, they can choose to continue as independents, up to them, really.

And yes, I'm in hot water for going too far and not making sure that excessive collateral damage wasn't done. And yes, we got off lucky that Lung didn't continue the fight as it could have gotten ugly. Also, Lung is someone that no one sane wants to fight. Seriously, the dude goes toe to toe with Endbringer. You get an appreciation for how much damage that guy can do when you ACTUALLY see him going all out.

And yes, I was involved in the Endbringer fight. But I couldn't do more than engage Leviathan for a short while due to how much heat Lung, Navigator, and erm... that Empire cape, Surtr, was putting out when I got up close with Leviathan. Scariest minutes of my life. Outside of that, I was doing search and rescue like most of the other wards.

Any other questions?

► Stalking Tanuki
Replied on May 21, 2011:
You know... I noticed something odd. There's a post by God Empress Rose in the CrW section... like half an hour before @XxVoid_CowboyxX's post. I'm not going to say that she wasn't there, but she totally was there. Given that she typed out that story before @XxVoid_CowboyxX posted that video.

► God Empress Rose (Awesomest Write-tan) (At Ground Zero: Brockton Bay)
Replied on May 21, 2011:
Well... I WAS trying to spare @XxVoid_CowboyxX's feelings. He was so very excited about it all...

► XxVoid_CowboyxX (Original Poster) (At Ground Zero: Brockton Bay)
Replied on May 21, 2011:
Oh... [censor] you, Rose. [censor] you.
Wait... how do you know who I am. I didn't tell anyone.
Isn't that like breaking some sort of unspoken rule or something?

► God Empress Rose (Awesomest Write-tan) (At Ground Zero: Brockton Bay)
Replied on May 21, 2011:
Not unless you're a cape and I'm using this info to do something beyond trying to spare your feelings... because seriously, you kind of were waving who you were when you spoke to Rose Knight and Beefcake... erm... Browbeat. Sorry.

► Browbeat (Verified Cape) (Wards ENE)
Replied on May 21, 2011:
I don't even care anymore... the others in the HQ are all calling me Beefcake now. I just can't win. -_-

[Prev] [1][2][3] ... [8][9][10] [Next] [Last] [Unread]

O O O​

♦ Private Messages from GstringGirl:
GstringGirl:
i'm trying out that curtain shooter game, but the controls are difficult.
XxVoid_CowboyxX: Takes practice. But each class template is different, even if the controls are similar. They play differently.
GstringGirl: i have it figured out. it's just the controls that I have problems with.
XxVoid_CowboyxX: Practice, practice practice!
GstringGirl *New Message*: its hard. i know the classes are different and stuff, its just the controls that is difficult for me.

O O O

O O O​

Greg stopped scroll down the screen before leaning back in his chair and sighed. The computer screen glowed in his dimly lit bedroom.

He looked at the stilled video that he had gotten earlier in the day. It was paused at the exact moment when Rose Knight had changed back into her human form, and had stepped out of the vanishing spinning mass of her gigantic centipede lower body.

She was a woman of above average height or perhaps a tall teenage. He didn't know where she was based beyond her mentioning that the Undersiders had a base in the Docks that was still intact, so she likely lived in the north end near the Docks before Leviathan.

"Personality..." He looked once more at the image, that exhilarated smile that was somewhat wide. One might even say she was vicious, possibly unhinged, and smart. That look of superiority behind that visor.

He had seen that look before.

The girl with the glasses that had some classes with him. Taylor Hebert.

She had that look back then when she had done That Thing to Julia, the pretty blonde. He could still remember that gentle touch on his hand, that so very nice way that she spoke to him, but conveyed so much threat. He could still remember those very words. "Now, let's continue this conversation. We don't want to bore Greg, do we?"

He thought he might have had a shot at her. But she had brushed him off and... he couldn't really remember her outside of the classes they'd shared. She had just smiled at him, as if with pity, when he had asked her out. The absolute friendzone smile, he'd seen those directed at other guys... and it had hurt to have it directed at him. And that was it.

It was as if they were in different shows that took place in the same continuity. He'd see her now and then in classes... but... nowhere else.

That had bugged him. Really it had. And yet, it wasn't until he saw that smile, that curly brown hair in a ponytail that he had gotten a flashback of her. How could he forget her? It wasn't as if they weren't both geeks, the lowest of the low on the school totem pole.

And yet, she had slipped his mind.

Did she use the same trick to slip the minds of her bullies? To slip the minds of those she simply didn't want to deal with?

And there was the way that God Empress Rose was associated with Rose Knight. The stories were a connection as was the name, he was sure of it. He could picture her with a malicious smile on her face as she typed her stories, with sufficient chaff and cover to conceal who she was. That vicious smirk of superiority, the willingness to push further... to escalate.

Was Taylor Hebert God Empress Rose and thus also Rose Knight?

He didn't know. But if she was that cape. She didn't care, not really, about her identity. After all, it was so easy to figure out, from one point to another.

And yet... he didn't know. He couldn't know, not until he spoke to her.

He wheeled his chair away from his computer desk. His eyes drawn to the board that he had attached to his bedroom wall. There was a poster for the Misfits when they had last played in Brockton Bay taking up half the bulletin board, there were checklists for assorted game unlocks, along with a pamphlet for a city hall meeting, to "determine the fate of Brockton Bay".

The twenty eighth of May. Next week's Saturday.

Did she plan to go? Certainly, there was attention directed at her. Part of it was from the video that he had posted, the other part was the stories that he had heard on PHO and in real life.... stories of what the Rose Knight had done in the Leviathan fight, and in the aftermath.

More than that, a meeting... to determine the fate of the city?

He pictured himself in her shoes. The stories he had heard, they spoke of someone who was in the center of things... and this was pretty central as far as things went.

- - -
Goblin Queen | Changes are a Constant
Worm / Exalted

- - -​

Tanuki Scribblings: So... I kind of wrote this and rewrote this and rewrote this... I'm still kind of not satisfied with this. But I should post this or it'll never get posted.

In return... I gib you the poster in Greg Vader's room.

*runs away!*

Last edited:
Poor Beefcake everyone's only looking at your muscles but not the mind behind it all :( :p Also The Misfits should totally play another concert in BB.

What I had not expected was for Lisa to play along, even going so far as to dress up in a catgirl costume, complete with blonde animatronic ears and tail that reacted to her emotions or was that thoughts? I vaguely recalled hearing about tinker fabbed toys along those lines for people with far too much disposable money for their own good.

Another wild Teaser~ shows up!​

"Words. That's all you have. Just endless, annoying... stupid! words."

Tanuki is now at 2000 words... and it's still not done.

This is going to be a long chapter... longer than the last one. At least it's going faster and smoother. Which is good.

But tanuki must nao fall over side ways on to cushions and sleep.

MIGHT post some teasers later on~ or post it if it gets done.

- - - Tanuki are typing. Please wait warmly. - - -​

"Boss... you know... this, this isn't really necessary, right?" I said with a weak laugh from where I hung upside down. The cool air from the ventilation was enough to nudge me ever so slight, to sway me about where I hung above the pit.

"Actually, it is," My liege shook his head as he spoke. The disappointment in his voice was clear and conveyed just how upset he was with me and what I had done. "How else will I convey my opinion of your actions since it appears that mere words don't seem to work."

I could only look at him in shock as he leaned back into his chair and started to stroke Lisa's back where she lay crouched on his lap in a catgirl costume. "Now, that's just uncalled for. I listen to you."

"And how is... and I quote 'Mission accomplished. There were no survivors' being said and recorded on video keeping things discrete?"

There was the hint of a frown under his mask, as a mote of dust fell past my face before ending up in the path of the laser grid beneath me where it sizzled and burned up with a whiff of smoke.

"And please do explain why you ended up wrecking the Ship Graveyard to that degree, and requiring Lung, of all people, to ensure that your fight didn't go into the Boardwalk and harming innocent civilians."

Lisa tapped a button on the remote in her hand, and the wall behind them had an image projected on it. An image of me in my newly updated costume standing beside Beefcake in his thong and bone mask, while the Merchant cape was strung up behind us like a fish that we had caught.

"Well... it just seemed reasonable at that time?" I smiled weakly at my liege. It was clear that the video of Beefcake and me had been watched by him, and given the dirty look directed at me by Lisa... she had also watched it and I had managed to upset her in some manner... again.

"Much like this is, no?" He replied smoothly.

I suspected that it wasn't just mere frustration with me that had my liege behaving thus. After all, he had a James Bond villain base... and if one had one of those and was a super villain, was it not simply natural for one to behave like a bond villain? Even if it was now and then to release the stress accumulated over time?

Certainly, I know I would.

What I had not expected was for Lisa to play along, even going so far as to dress up in a catgirl costume, complete with blonde animatronic ears and tail that reacted to her emotions or was that thoughts? I vaguely recalled hearing about tinker fabbed toys along those lines for people with far too much disposable money for their own good.

"Well, what do you expect me to do?" My question was almost mandated in my situation.

There was a hint of a smile from beneath my liege's mask, the slightest of curves beneath the black fabric. "Do, Miss Rose Knight? Why, I expect you to die."

Now I had to frown at the two of you them, thick as thieves and allied against me. In a smooth and relentlessly slow motion, my liege lifted up an ancient world war two german automatic pistol from the table beside him.

It resembled an authentic relic or replica if its body wasn't chrome instead of black metal. And the telescopic sight mounted on it, had a baleful crimson light that lanced out from it, a laser sight. How delightful.

And yet, it wasn't all of that that took me back. Rather, it was the soft violet glow from the mouth of the long black silencer attached to the pistol.

"Wait... is that a laser sighted laser gun in a replica nazi pistol casing?" I could only sputter in disbelief.

There was a slow indulgent nod from my liege in reply.

I could only look at him with wide eyes, before giving expression to the words in my heart. "That... that's so cool."

"But of course. Nothing but the very best for disciplining you." With that he traced the laser sight up my body before pointing the pistol at the rope that I was tied up with to the ceiling. "This is the end of the line for you, Miss Rose Knight. Any final words?"

"You... you'll never get away with this." The words I spoke was mandated, almost ironclad one might say, in my position.

He laughed and shook his head. "I will never get away with this? No, Miss Rose Knight. I have already gotten away with this, as you say."

With that said, he pulled the trigger on his pistol. A single violet bolt shot from the barrel before piercing the rope that held me upside down above the pit with its laser grid.

I fell to my absolute and certain death and doom. There was no escape, not unless-

Reality collapsed as the two timelines became one and was resplit once more by my liege as I finished my examination and prepared to give my prognosis.

"I'm... sorry." I shook my head at the girl I was examining, an apologetic look on my face.

- - - Tanuki are typing. Please wait warmly. - - -​

"I'm... sorry." The cape shook her head at her, the look of pity and apology was clear on her face.

Those two words were not unexpected. Not after all the disappointments she had had to date. Not since that long ago day.

She could remember that anger, the fear accompanied the horror. All it had taken for hope to turn into terror had been a simple trip into the washroom after that day.

No, she was used to disappointment. Even if judging by the soft curse from Krouse that he hadn't, that he saw the failure as something personal.

She had been examined by a really strong cape, one that Krouse had spoken to her about. He had said she was really strong and seemed to be able to do anything. That she wasn't quite human... something about being an alien pod person.

She had hoped...

"I can't fix you." The girl continued to speak with a shake of her head. "Not the way that Trickster wants."

"What do you mean?" She struggled to control her breathing and with it, the burgeoning rage in her heart. How dare that bitch give her hope and take it away. "Not the way that Krouse wants?"

"Let me ask you a question, you have an egg," The Rose Knight held an ordinary chicken egg up. "You have a few choices of what to do with it. You can incubate it, and eventually get a chick. You can crack it open and fry it or even boil it in its shell. You can only pick one."

Noelle looked intently at the egg. "And I'm the egg."

"Metaphorically speaking.... yes." She nodded in agreement. "The only problem here is that currently you are the egg as it incubates. We could boil or fry what's inside but the results...."

"... would be a mess. Fuck!" She could see Krouse punch the wall in anger behind the smiling cape who held up the egg patiently.

"And between the two of us, I'll be honest here, I do not find you ugly or ungainly or whatever everyone says."

Noelle frowned as she watched the brown haired cape walked around her while speaking, as if looking for space in the massive vault, the sound of her shoes clacking against the concrete floor. She breathed in and out, struggling to control herself despite the foetid heat that radiated from her. The stench of meat that had rotted in far too much heat was something that was something that she had never gotten used to, and yet... it always sat at the back of her mind, reminding her that it was her that bore the stench. That it was her that disgusted people, that she had caused her friends to suffer so much for so very long.

It was all her.

Always had been her.

Her fault.

And yet, it was easy... easier to blame others. To grow angry at those who had given her hope to snatch it away.

Easier than accepting it that the blame and fault lay upon herself.

"Words. That's all you have. Just endless, annoying... meaningless words." She struggled to keep from screaming her rage and all the other bottled up emotions inside her, to prevent her body from doing as it wished, keeping it from charging forwards and rearing up before crashing down with her heavy front.... limbs. To crush and ground the annoyance beneath her massive spurred claw-like hooves much like one would an insect.

The parahuman trump smiled even as she stumbled while walking.

There was a single moment of stillness before her pants exploded outwards in an outward squirming mass of tentacles, raw flesh and chitin. Unlike her, the change was, if not instant, a smooth transition over seconds that transitioned into a minute.

A centaur-like creature the size of a large van. That was what the Rose Knight was now.

Just like her.

Equal in size, if not design.

Unlike the hodge-podge merger of parts that made her other monstrous half, the other cape looked as if there had been an intelligent designed at work. Sleek and brutal, with the concept of armored death walking and overwhelming domination writ large.

There was silence now from Krouse as he looked at the other cape, as if he dared not move. Dared not speak lest he attracted the attention of Rose Knight.

Noelle found herself unable to do more than struggle to control her breathing. Her other half hated and feared the Other, it wanted and needed something. And she found herself realizing just how much her monstrous body had been influencing her without her knowledge, now that her emotions were all pointed at this one individual, this one target.

She wanted to fight to the death.

To run away in terror.

To kneel in submission on the steel floor of the vault that the three of them stood in.

And yet... in that absolute torrent of emotions, she found herself feeling different. She had been left feeling differently towards everyone else.

Normal was a word that she hadn't used to describe things. Her feelings for Krouse, her desperate hope for what Coil had offered, the little disappointments since Madison, each had been twisted, magnified, warped on a level that she couldn't describe, couldn't word meaningfully.

She recalled something that Jess had once said about Earth Bet, back when things had been normal. When all they needed to worry about was how to maintain their streak of victories, to get sponsors, to get to the nationals... and the interplay of drama between balancing the needs of the team and the emotions of her friends.

Earth Bet was sublime and beautiful. It was awesome in the truest meaning of the word, greater and more vivid on multiple levels. The peaks were higher, the valleys deeper, everything was just more and richer for the... extremes that the extremes went to.

That was how she found her emotions had been manipulated. They were warped, deeper, stronger... so very much more. And now, they were directed at the Other.

The Rose Knight tilted her head, almost like an inquisitive insect, as she looked at the reactions to her transformation. Her arms were relaxed and folded together to allow her hands to rest upon the chitin top of the giant sized head that might have belonged to a hairless spider or perhaps a wasp that emerged from where her pelvis would have been.

A brief moment of silence, and then the other cape spoke. There was a hint of a smile as she spoke. "Your guest knows. How delightful and fascinating."

"Knows?" A suspicion rose in Noelle's mind, one that she could bear to even consider.

There was a widening of lips curling up on one side in a display of amusement. "I thought it was obvious. I am not the one in charge at the moment. It is my guest..."

The gamut of emotions that ran across Noelle's face was nothing more than a mirror of the shock and horror at the words of Rose Knight. To willing allow a monstrous alien intelligence to commandeer her body, to reshape it as it wished.

And yet, that thing had yet to rampage and was in fact allowing the Rose Knight to speak, to communicate.

"How.... no. Why. Why did you allow it to... to.... take over?" Noelle could sputter as she spoke.

"We are alike in some ways, we have our own neurosis," The Rose Knight nodded as she replied before leaning forward to laze upon the gigantic insect head, her arms crossed to form a support for her head. "But in other ways.... we are very different. For one, I trust my guest and I talk to her."

"More importantly, in any relationship, there is give and take. You have to set boundaries on what is being given and taken, and you have to be willing to compromise." She continued to speak, while giving the impression that she would happily be crossing her legs while 'lying' down on the mass of iridescent chitin, bone and purplish pink flesh.

A scene straight out of a 'just us girls' talk during a slumber party as imagined by Hollywood. And yet, Noelle could not help but pay attention to Rose Knight's words and the horrifying and undeniable truths they revealed.

"If all you do is take, and deny the needs of your guest... can you blame her for acting without your needs and wants in consideration? Hmmmm?" There was now a wag of a finger by Noelle's peer as she smiled slyly at the way Noelle's expression gave the impression that she had swallowed a bitter and sour fruit.

"Our powers are defined by what our guests learned from us at the time of our connection, what troubles us and what we need." Rose Knight leaned up, supporting her upper body with her arms. The white lab coat forming a tent from her position. "For me, I was alone, isolated and besieged by enemies on all sides. My guest saw that and gave me the power to commandeer new friends in the form of creepy crawlies."

"In another time, another possibility, she might have given me powers like yours. To heal quickly, to create friends and allies. And I likely would have been lessened despite those gifts..." There was a shrug as she pushed herself upright to 'sit' once more upon her other half. "But I digress. As you say, I have too many words."

There was a sibilant chirp from the insect head as it tilted and turned its head to look at the human half of Rose Knight. It wad clear to both Noelle and Krouse that there was a hint of disappointment in its posture.

"I'm sorry, but I need the full use of my body." Rose Knight sighed as she rubbed the top of the insect head apologetically. "Tell you what.... I'll let you have internet access for an extra hour afterwards."

There was an excited chirp now before that insect head nodded in agreement.

"See, our guests are smart, dreadfully so, but they are not humans. They don't... think like us." There was another look directed at Noelle by the Rose Knight as her lower half started to decay, sloughing off to putrefy into liquified flesh that bore the scent of rotting flesh.

As the flesh melted, the chitin armor and the bones that supported the flesh became loose, and Rose Knight stepped out of the mess, decaying biological matter dripping off her body.

The displeased look spoke volumes of how she did not appreciate the scent and texture of what she had just stepped free of. "But they learn... and if you are willing to give them what they want, they are willing to reciprocate and give you what you want."

"Somehow, I doubt it's as simple as talking to..." Noelle paused as she thought on what she called her other half. "... to my guest as you call it."

"No, it's not. But communication is key." There was a shake of Rose Knight's head, her visor catching the light on the ceiling of the vault. "As I said, I can't fix you. Not the way Trickster wants. Because that would require unhatching an egg, de-incubating it back to nothing more than just a fresh egg."

"It can't be done... but?" With the focusing of the torrent of emotions at the Rose Knight, Noelle found that she could think... could focus on what she needed, on what was necessary.

"What I can do is remake you, to give you a chance to talk to your guest and... the two of you can start from there."

The wide mouth curved ever so slightly, giving the impression of friendliness.

"Or... you could choose to end it. To admit that you are nothing more than a monster than needs to be put down. I'm not a fan of this choice, to be honest. But it is yours to make."

"Noelle, please...." Krouse could only shake his head at the alternative offered by Rose Knight. "Don't. Not like this."

- - -
Goblin Queen | Changes can be challenging
Worm / Exalted

- - -​

Krouse just looked silently away from the vault. There was nothing he could say at this point. Nothing he needed to say. It was the end of a long journey for him, a clearing of silence at the end of the path.

He could only watch as Sundancer stepped up to the doorway, her hands cupped before her. A point of brilliance hung between her hands. A single speck of golden white brilliance that shone with all the purity of the sun.

The absolute pure heat and light of the sun, its radiance speaking of what it was.

And yet... that single speck doubled in size within a second, and then doubled again with the next second, and again. Always doubling in size with each passing second.

Within the span of seconds, the miniature sun that danced before her had blossomed into an orb of golden brilliance, arcs of plasma flared out from its surface before bending back down.

The heatwaves that distorted the air around Marissa had no effect on her, it never did... even as the others in the corridor backed away from her from the sheer heat that radiated from the glowing sphere that she held above her head with one hand.

A single thrust forwards with her hand and the sun flew freely in the direction that she had given it, still growing in size and power with each second.

The massive figure within the vault screamed in rage and pain as it charged the ever growing sun. Flesh melted and incinerated from the proximity of the sun as it attempted to get past it.

To survive outside of the confined space. To escape.

Its struggles to escape the vault shook the entire base as massive limbs pounded at the concrete ground and walls, while its roar and screams echoed with guttural subharmonics.

And yet, there was nothing to feed the creature. Only an all consuming heat that devoured everything it touched.

Slowly, the sounds of struggle, the screams and cries of pain and rage faded... leaving behind the scent of burned meat and molten steel.

Eventually, the sun flicked and vanished, leaving only sunspots in the vision of those who looked into the vault too soon. There was nothing left alive in the vault. The remnant of Noelle's massive feet, bones and claws scorched black, crumbling and decaying, were the only sign that a monster had been there before it reached the end of its existence.

Sundancer sighed and turned away from the dark vault, the soft steel that had once been multiple vault doors slowly cooled where they had fallen off their hinges. "It's done."

The impact of her boots against the concrete floors and then the metal grills announced her presence as she looked into a room where the other Travelers had gathered.

To look at a glass tube that stood upright with pulsating flesh supporting it from the ceiling and floor. Within it, immersed in liquid, floated the top half of a girl, while flesh slowly regenerated from where she had been cut in half. Much slowly than normal.

Noelle.

Her eyes closed in sleep.

"She just needs a bit of time to recover, to work on her neurosis, and to learn to talk with her guest. That girl, Navigator, said that she'll recover in time, ninety nine point five eight one percent that she'll wake up... soon with everything working correctly." Krouse's voice was quiet, worn out, as he spoke from where he had sat down against the tube.

"Beyond this... I don't know what our next step should be."

Marissa sighed and took off her mask, to rest her head against the cool glass surface. "Krouse, at least... we've cured Noelle. Can we stop? Just rest for a bit? No more moving? No more... excitement?"

"I... yeah... we can decide what to do next once Noelle gets out," Krouse replied as he rolled the cigarette in his hand.

Last edited:
Marissa sighed and took off her mask, to rest her head against the cool glass surface. "Krouse, at least... we've cured Noelle. Can we stop? Just rest for a bit? No more moving? No more... excitement?"
Oh Marissa, you just don't know how exciting this city is about to become.

"I... yeah... we can decide what to do next once Noelle gets out," Krouse replied as he rolled the cigarette in his hand.
Coil: "We could watch the video I had made of me having my way with Tattletale in a catgirl outfit."

Tattletale: "THAT NEVER HAPPENED!"

Coil: "It's true, it never happened. But also, it was quite fun."

Oh Marissa, you just don't know how exciting this city is about to become.

Coil: "We could watch the video I had made of me having my way with Tattletale in a catgirl outfit."

Tattletale: "THAT NEVER HAPPENED!"

Coil: "It's true, it never happened. But also, it was quite fun."

Doh ho ho ho ho ho! :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back