1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: Plutonian (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Plutonian

12th April
    08:43 GMT -1

King Cyprian looks out across the foam-wreathed seascape surrounding Venturia's largest surface territory.

"You know, I came up here once as a young man."

His meeting with King Orin and company is scheduled to begin a little later today. It was agreed fairly early on that neither Venturia nor Poseidonis were appropriate venues. Aurania would have been even worse. Most other Atlantean cities were unacceptably close to Poseidonis, and Venturia didn't really have good relations with any of the ones who weren't. Thankfully, Queen Hippolyta was willing to host them both.

"What did you think?"

"I thought that the smell was unpleasant, and that at any moment I might fall into the horizon."

"Can't do much about the first, but in my experience the second is very uncommon."

"Obviously I knew that I wouldn't, but even in clear waters it isn't possible to see so far beneath the surface. And the sun…"

He looks up for a moment.

"It seemed so small. In the shallows the light diffuses through the water, so I assumed that as I kept going up it would become more diffuse. Instead, the sky was covered by silt and there was a tiny burning dot."

He gestures towards it with his right hand.

"It was a very strange experience. Though I'm proud to say that I toughed it out longer than all but one of my peers."

"And then what?"

"Then I was berated by my nursemaid, and then my father, and then my mother. And then my aunt, though for different reasons." He looks down for a moment. "My caregivers felt that I'd exposed myself to risk unnecessarily. My parents thought that I would harm my relationship with Queen Clea by reminding her of her defeat by Princess Diana, and thus reduce my chance of becoming her heir."

"And did it?"

"I don't think that it affected it one way or another. Most of my competition disqualified themselves in various ways. Sometimes, keeping your head down and your nose to the grindstone works." He lets out a quiet chuckle. "If attaining political power is your objective."

"Wasn't it yours?"

"No, not particularly. I was born to a high station, and I was aware of the responsibilities that gave me. I.. simply.. endeavoured to serve the state as best I could. As the more ambitious people around me crashed and burned."

Another quiet chuckle, this one not particularly happy.

"I didn't think that Queen Clea was ever actually going to die. Ah-." He shakes his head. "I know that's ridiculous; Atlantean Purebloods aren't immortal by any stretch of the imagination. But she defined our politics for so long, the idea of anyone -myself especially- taking over from her…"

"I think I know how you feel. Of course, I'm not in the frame to take over from Queen Elizabeth."

"I don't have any real objection to Lord-Lantern Manga Khan having it. The next class can just use one of the other islands. But what to do afterwards…"

"Trade with the surface?"

"I hesitate to say 'yes', but if Poseidonis can do it…" He takes a deep breath, then lets it out slowly. "We planned extensively for what we would do if Poseidonis ever became aggressive. But even after Arthur Curry became Crown Prince, we never really planned for peaceful interaction with the surface."

"I'm told that you're not supposed to call him that."

He turns his head my way. "Is it not the name he was born to? That he was raised under? I don't know what Queen Atlanna was thinking."

"She was thinking that with a lot of the monarch's powers transferred to the senate, that her heir's focus should be international relations rather than internal affairs."

"It's a little disheartening that she thought so little of us."

"Did you ever try to reach out from your side?"

"Yes. To Prince Orm."

"Ah."

"Quite. It seemed like we had a lot in common." He shrugs. "I tell myself that he fooled a great many people, but if his duplicity hadn't been uncovered by someone-"

"Me."

"-then-." He frowns. "Honestly?"

"I disarmed and disabled him. Tracking him down was a team effort. You didn't know?"

"A disadvantage of isolationism is that we're generally last with the news."

"Well, word to the wise: if you're going to get into a fight, make sure that your invulnerable armour covers your entire body. Losing to a group of teenaged neophytes because it didn't can be rather embarrassing."

"I'm under no illusions about my martial abilities. Though I'm… I'm not sure. 'Disappointed' doesn't seem quite right considering what he was trying to do, but knowing that he was defeated like that seems a little… Off."

"Real life is frequently lacking in poetry. I suppose that ideally he should have been defeated in a climactic duel at the North Pole while undertaking a desperate attempt to pull off his master plan after having his identity revealed. But as it happened a group of youths only one of whom had ever met him before walked in on him and beat him into a coma. Heck, I can name a dozen American supervillains who died from gunshot wounds inflicted by random passers by, and a dozen more killed by police."

And a few like Yellow Wasp who retire with a bag full of loot and their nemesis' infant son as a trophy and finally die in a car crash years later having not gone down for so much as speeding. That's pretty unsatisfying too.

"I imagine-."

My ring blinks, and King Cyprian looks down at it.

"Is that our call?"

"Probably." I raise it to eye level. "Answer."

The head of Lantern Savenlovich appears over my ring.

"What news?"

"The Atlantean delegation has arrived and cleared the gate area. You are free to proceed."

A pretty reasonable arrangement. While they are both the monarchs of their respective countries, Atlantis is larger, older, and more prosperous than the City-State of Venturia. Which naturally means that King Orin comes ahead of King Cyprian in the order of precedence.

King Cyprian nods and raises his right hand towards his entourage, who begin moving towards us.

"We'll be with you shortly. Illustres out."

"I've been wondering about that. Is it wrong that I still consider myself Atlantean, even though I am no longer a resident of a part of the nation of Atlantis? It is our culture as much as theirs."

I smile.

"Try reading up on the Eastern Roman Empire some time."

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'so small' not 'to small'

'one of the other' not 'on of the other'

'with a lot' not 'we a lot'

Maybe 'a year later' or 'years later' not just 'year later'

'or a part of' not 'of a part of'

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  3. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

"Watch out, that shark is from Turkey!"

4. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I'm sorry?

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'a year later' or 'years later' not just 'year later'

'or a part of' not 'of a part of'

Whose infant son did Wasp take and was he given back to his parent/s?

6. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I don't think that's right.
    Wildcat. And no, he wasn't. Ted only found out what happened when Killer Wasp told him.

7. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Change "if" to "it".

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The sentence 'a resident of a part of the nation of Atlantis' just sounds weird when I say it aloud.

It could be 'a resident, or a part of the nation of Atlantis' or just 'a resident of the nation of Atlantis' or just 'a part of the nation of Atlantis'

How is Wildcats relationship with his son now if the two of them know they're related, and if his sons followed in his kidnappers footsteps and became the Killer Wasp, at least for a time?

Ardy and Xmaster3000 like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    As far as I'm concerned, the sentence is fine.
    Jake's dead. Killer Wasp is Yellow Wasp's natural son. His relationship with Tom is pretty good.

Ardy, Bramble Thorn, vaegrim and 5 others like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Did Yellow Wasp, or Killer Wasp, kill Jake?

How did that happen exactly if he, or his son, did?

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

According to Yellow Wasp's son, Killer Wasp, he and Ted's son were raised as brothers, in fact Jake was Yellow Wasp's favorite, while he performed human experimentation on his own biological son so he looks like this [​IMG]

So Killer Wasp killed them both.

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hardly the largest of islands. But to someone from the sea floor, I suppose it feels enormous...

Appropriate. I wouldn't be surprised if they set the meeting up at the Temple of Poseidon, no less. The joy of a familiar culture.

Understandable. It'd be like the fear some people have of water they can't see the bottom of. Imagine a vast abyss, where anything could lurk in the depths. Where humans were not meant to tread. Just imagine the creatures such a place could manifest... :confused: And now I'm giving myself the willies...

Blinding to someone used to the ocean depths, I expect. It wouldn't help that everything would also sound strangely, if his ears were adapted to pick up the slightest sound underwater (Air being a very different conductor of sound than water...)

Completely underwhelming? I presume the 'silt' was clouds and ocean haze.

Brave lad. I wonder who outlasted him, whether it was someone of note?

I doubt she would be so petty. She'd probably have admired his headstrong nature and determination...

A fascinating outlook. Sensible and reserved. A rare combination in leaders.

Sounds like a good Dictator, in the Roman tradition. The kind to surrender his office after the crisis he was elected to resolve was ended. Of course, now he's King.

Another understandable thing. Anything you've had around all your life seems that way, as if it'll never be gone. But it will, inevitably as the sun rises. Homes, family, the popular people you like... Everything ends, sooner or later.

It's a matter of what he can offer the surface world. Poseidonis has a lead on just about anything he can come up with...

As if he feels the need to show respect for a rival? Certainly, it's not as hostile as some nations' relationships, but they'll never be close friends, I expect.

And yet he's still getting dragged into said internal matters. If only to swing his metaphorical dick in the political arena.

Oooh... Yeah, that's the kind of mistake that gets a 'sucks breath through teeth' reaction...

You're talking to that someone. Of course, he wouldn't have been there if Kaldur hadn't invited him and the others...

'Disarmed'... Pun not intended, of course. I doubt OL would be so underhanded...

Of course, Cyprian isn't the kind to get into that sort of fight anyway.

That's what happens. So many idiots get superpowers, and think they're invulnerable, or that people will be so cowed they won't fight back... Not in America!

Ah, business calls. This little break's over, it seems.

She's handling things on the Atlantean side, I take it?

Ah, the politics of who arrives first. I suppose if they're looking to be nice...

At least he's not going alone. I assume they're a mix of guards, secretaries and assorted bureaucrats...

Heh, you're not the first nation to split from its parent state in human history, and consequently wonder that...

Might be a little difficult right away, unless he gets some stuff shipped in. I assume OL would provide textbooks if asked...

Well, all nice and quiet so far. I expect next chapter will be the arrival on Themyscira, and our first look at Lady Ptra. The real meat of the episode will come along soon enough...

It is our culture as much as theirs.

13. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

Just as the Turks destroyed the Byzantines, so too will the sharks (Turks of the sea) destroy the Aqua-Byzantines.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Thanks.

So if Zoats version died in a car crash I guess Killer Wasp killed Jake and not his father.

dxdragon likes this.
  15. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

I want to say that Atlantis isn't quite as bad as that, but King Orin does seem rather determined to see his country stagnate politically, even as OL has done his best to see it succeed economically.

Wild Transient and Prince Charon like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat when Cyprian told Paul he is no longer a resident of Atlantis he phrased it like he was no longer a resident of a part that is still a part of the nation of Atlantis.
    If Venturia has ceded from the rest of Atlantis then it is no longer a part of its nation.
    Changing it from 'of a part' to 'or a part' makes a bit more sense as he is stating that he no longer resides in the nation of Atlantis and he isn't involved in any part they play, but is still a resident and part of Venturia.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a grammar nazi, but the sentence just doesn't sound right to me.

Orin is also trying to solve this issue, but because most of his advisors were replaced after the purge following Orms reveal and the fact that he didn't grow up in Atlantis, and thus lacks some of the societal knowledge that Atlanteans get from growing up in their society and because said knowledge isn't most likely written down as Atlanteans figure they don't need to write it down as they'll learn it on their own, he is having a difficult time.

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

18. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

WTR is now an immense, sprawling, story. I at best vaguely recall Orange Lantern Savenlovich, though, I'll admit my memory for names is far from perfect. More generally, Green Lantern Savenlovich is the thing a search turned-up.

Not sure what I might suggest, though, having an author-approved wiki, that might be pointed to for not recently used story characters doesn't seem a terrible idea. Main thing is not expecting the author to do significantly more work, because 'they must', of course.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She is a Green Lantern.

After Hal and Guy got promoted to the Honor Guard she was made the second GL of sector 2814 alongside Stewart.

20. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

DAT_NOOB, Bramble Thorn and Darko like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

I didn't really think much of Irredeemable, and the ending was just insulting.

Ngamer11, Ardy, DAT_NOOB and 6 others like this.
  22. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Queen Hippolyta ?
    I feel like the SI doesn't usually refer to himself as British but does point out that he is an Amazon fairly often.

23. Mr Zoat

As a heroic mortal favoured by the gods, he actually could be in the frame to take over from Queen Hippolyta.

24. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

The West Wing, underwater edition.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Hachnslay

Hachnslay I trust you know where the happy button is?

Either use:
    you will know what it means to love someone.
    Or
    You will know what it's like to love someone.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The sentence feels alright to me.

27. Hachnslay

Hachnslay I trust you know where the happy button is?

And it feels wrong to me.
    Maybe a regional dialect thing.
    I grew up learning British English. Can we get a third opinion?

Darko likes this.
  28. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Either option would have a similar meaning but it definitely works best as is.

29. Lupercal

Lupercal Not too sore, are you?

I grew up and still live in a British English enviroment and its fine to me.

Its implications are subtly different. Knockout is saying that her daughter has never felt even the slightest glimerings of any kind of love for another. it is a bit more extreme then your alternatives.

Cuchulin, Xmaster3000 and Vorian like this.
  30. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

yeah, regardless of the excuses/justifications for his insanity,implying that Kal-El was literally that psychopath's reincarnation was in REALLY bad taste/an insult to everything supes is/stands for.
    the whole thing REEKS of Napier's bullshit self-delusion about everyone being a broken psychopath like him >.<

Ardy, Cuchulin, Darko and 1 other person like this.