1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

I've honestly never understood the mindset of women who dress in clothes that show off their bodies then complain when guys notice their bodies. Like...yeah, you can dress however you want, but you know men are going to stare if you dress in a way that shows off your body. So why dress that way if you don't want that kind of attention? I'm not criticizing, I honestly just don't get the thought process there.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

That image I linked to?

That's from the comic where she met Kyle Rayner for the first time. By using a construct key to get into his apartment and then taking a shower. He assumed it was his girlfriend and opened the shower curtain and she complained.

This Jade is a federal agent. Her official field uniform is actually armoured and less flattering, but this is what she started out in and she likes to wear it while doing 'regular' superhero stuff. When this SI turned up in lyrca shorts and a crop top to a government mission she was less than impressed.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  3. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

So....wait. She broke into a stranger's apartment and was using his shower and got mad that he walked in on her? And judging from that dialogue thought she was in the right and he was in the wrong? That....is mindbogglingly stupid behavior. Are you sure her name's Jade and not Karen?

Doccer, Prince Charon, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

I think she got his girlfriend's permission or something. Kyle and his girlfriend weren't actually living together.

Oh, and Todd turned up and picked a fight with Kyle.

5. DougA

DougA Getting out there.

It's 2018 and the Justice Society was killed 8 years ago, therefore in 2020 it would be 10 years ago. I think this is the Stargirl universe, set 2 years before she got the staff. Only problem, Alan Scott's lantern has been shown in Dugan's possession, not his daughter's. But the timing is suspicious, matches everything I've seen in the show so far.

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Mr Nobody would make Paul his bitch if it was Doom Patrol.

So of course it's not Doom Patrol.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'raised her'

'Her'

At least he wore more clothing than Sybarite when he was doing business.

He's really flippant, like even more flippant than regular Paul, isn't he?

Mr. Nobody, while highly powerful, is a bag of emotional issues that can be exploited.

The various Paul's have been shown as being pretty skilled in manipulating peoples emotions, so he should do alright against him.

Zoat has also had the SI face off against individuals who could have killed him in a moment, like Lords of Chaos and Order, Larfleeze and the First of the Fallen.

Paul has beaten them by either out thinking them, using ambush tactics against them, or exploiting their flaws.

it's unlikely the SI is going to try and face Mr Nobody head on if he knows of his powers, but rather either ambush him, or gather people and resources to help him beat him.

While Mr Nobody is powerful, he's not exactly Mad Jim Jaspers levels of reality warping, plus power rings have been shown as having some immunity to reality alterations and temporal manipulations in the comics.

Doccer, Ngamer11, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Mr Nobody is more powerful then everyone you listed.

An actual encounter between the two would go something like.

Paul: Have you ever,

Mr Nobody Interrupts: "You don't belong here."

The audience watches stupefied as Paul pops out of existence.

Robot Man as he looks to the empty space Mr Nobody was addressing: "Who're you talking to?"

Mr Nobody: "Just a minor mistake with the continuity, all fixed now, so lets get on with our climactic battle.

Cut back in time to the moment Paul appeared in the universe, Mr Nobody narrating.

Mr Nobody: "With a burst of energy he appeared, only protected from the destructive energies of the space in between dimensions by the power of his quickly depleting ring... Which just ran out... Opps. Unfortunately this caused our nascent hero to quickly suffocate and die without protection in the vacuum of space.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He really isn't.

One of them is Satan, the other one is a Lantern Corps in one body, and the others are godlike magic users.

Mad Jim Jaspers is also capable of manipulating the universe the way ordinary people mold clay.

Nobody is powerful, yes, but the others are either his equals at the very least, and some are so beyond him that he doesn't even register to their senses.

Dorothy was able to take away his powers like he was nothing, so we know he's not top dog.

His greatest threat didn't come from his reality warping, but the psychological torture he puts people through.

I don't think Nobody is going to be able to resist a new potential victim for his mind games, so he won't just kill him out of hand.

He's also focused on Niles and the Patrol, so if Paul stays away from them, and there really is no reason for him to go to them first, then there is no reason for Morden to focus on him.

Paul can go to some other group, like the Justice League, which exists in the Doom Patrol verse, and get help from them.

From then he can get more powerful until he's able to face Morden and potentially beat him should they fight.

We know from Sybarite that just because a version appears in a certain universe that doesn't mean that said version has to join the main team in that universe.

Morden may also be capable of losing since his nature makes him want to torment people instead of just killing them on the spot.

He's also probably not used to actually fighting people using his powers, instead just using them to torture people, so he may not have experience in a serious fight.

The League considered him to be too low level to focus on, so the only person that tried to stop him was Niles, who isn't exactly all that powerful.

If the League considered him to be too low level then that could mean that he's a low level reality warper, that while his showings were impressive, they weren't all that powerful compared to others.

And I did say that power rings were resistant to reality alterations, though I guess your selective obliviousness got the better of you.

Oh well, at this point most of us aren't expecting much from you anyway.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

11. Emerald Oracle

Emerald Oracle Know what you're doing yet?

Given the name of the episode is Ringman, yes we're probably dealing with a variant of the Stargirl universe. Though, given what we learned from the Charles McNider AI, I'm fairly sure the JSA was a thing in the 40s and got time jumped, since he was explicitly born in 1910 or so, and didn't look a day over 30 when he died back in the mid 00s. Given Stargirl is set in the Arrow Multiverse, and the earlier reference to the Arrow-verse's tendency to strip mine other DC properties, it seems likely there's some Arrow Stuff going on in the background too. Hell, this might be the Pre-Crisis Stargirl 'verse, given it's opening up in 2018 and the Arrow-verse Crisis was in late 2019.

Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I will admit that a SI OL (or GL, if that's how he ends up) with a classic comic book Doom Patrol (NOT evil Niles Calder) would be interesting...

There's enough raw material in the comics you wouldn't need any media franchise involved, you could just fork-off a comics universe with a time-slip to 2018.

Classic Cliff (Robotman) would be fun, as would Rita...

A SI and the Brotherhood of Evil, preferably a reasonably classic one, encounter could be worth reading about...

Throwing in something like the (classic) Metal Men on the side (not the silly version with the uploaded human minds) for extra interest isn't something I'd object to. :)

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  13. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

We saw that one already, not even very long ago. Evaul.

14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Hmm, in the comics Jade got her powers because she's not actually Alan's daughter, but the Starheart's.

Jade is a magic elemental clothed in human flesh.

Wonder if we're finally see a universe in which Zoat isn't going with Earth-16's "most boring version of Alan's origin ever."

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

While I've only watched the first two episodes of the new Stargirl series (my internet isn't quite consistent enough to stream a full episode without buffering, and the CW app sucks), I do like the universe (which I'm 90% sure this is, based on the 8 years since the death of the JSA, the lack of difference in the world due to superheroes, and the fact the episode is called "Ringman"), and I think having Paul around would be good for Courtney, Yolanda, Beth, and Rick (and Pat too).

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The problem with setting this in the Stargirl series is that there's apparently some big "it slowly kills you" type downside to being a Lantern there.

Also the universe didn't technically exist in 2018.

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Can you actually leave a link that proves this, because if you can't most of us are just going to assume that you're pulling stuff from your ass as usual.

If this is the Stargirl universe then it is possible that this Paul arrived sometime before the series started.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No, but I can quote it.
    Pat warning Courtney about the Lantern.

Remember, the Stargirl universe was one of the one's created in 2019 by the Spectre/Book of Destiny recreating the multiverse.

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I doubt that Pat is an expert in Lantern tech.

This honestly doesn't exactly prove jack shit.

It's also just a single remark that's given no further explanation, so if Zoat did set this in the Stargirl universe then he can change it so that Power Ring wielders are immune to any harmful effects the Lantern may have.

If Paul alters the Lantern then maybe he can fix any killing effects it may have.

Also you know that older people often warn younger people to not touch sensitive things by telling them it may harm them if they do so.

Yes it may have been created in 2019, but it also has its own history going back decades, or did you not remember the whole Justice Society existing?

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Threadmarks: Ringman (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

15th June 2020
    21:22 GMT -5

"For.. goodness sake, Patrick. I know it's not easy for a step-parent to establish their authority, but burglary is a bit beyond-."

"I.. know. Believe me, I know."

On the other end of the phone I hear him exhale in frustration, while from the sofa of our living room Jennie flashes me an interrogative frown.

"The worst part of it is, I phoned Ma to get a list of all the stuff that was missing, and not all of it's in her room."

"You think she lost it?"

"I think she might have got it into her head to try and restart the Justice Society."

"I'm going to warn you right now that Jennie's about three metres away from me."

"Yeah, I-. I didn't want Courtney getting involved. I didn't want to say anything to encourage her, so I didn't tell her about Infinity Inc. I don't think she knows you guys exist."

"Can I assume that Courtney isn't.. some sort of combat savant, trained from infancy in martial arts?"

"Yeah, that's a pretty safe assumption."

"And the Cosmic Staff's brain wave scanner is just.. acting up after a decade without maintenance?"

"I'm a mechanical engineer, not an electronics engineer. I wouldn't know where to start with something like that."

"Okay." I lean back against the hall wall. "Okay. Let me talk to Jennie, and… We'll put our heads together and come up with something. You're in.. Blue Valley, right?"

"That's the place."

"Okay, I'll come in person. See you later."

"Yeah. And.. thanks."

I hang up, then bow my head slightly as Jennie gets up and slowly walks over.

"What did Pat want?"

I raise my head to look her in the eyes.

"Short version… You know Pemberton left him the Cosmic Staff?" She nods. "His step-daughter found it and started using it and somehow bumped into a couple of Injustice Society members. He bailed her out, then took her to the Justice Society's old headquarters to try and make a point about how they all died despite being a lot better trained than she is. Unfortunately, she didn't listen, went back there after he took her home and stole all of their old equipment."

Her eyes widen.

"She what?!"

"I know. So I.. guess we're.. staging an intervention?" I grab my mobile and scroll through my contacts. "I'll phone Jack-"

Who last time I checked was still angry with Pemberton for giving away his dad's staff and with Patrick for keeping hold of it, so that's going to be a fun conversation.

"-and Matt-."

Jennie nods.

"And I'll call Pieter and Tommy. Hopefully we can talk some sense into this girl before someone gets killed."

"Someone else."

15 June 2020
    22:42 GMT -5

"Hey!"

I don't know if it's the difference between the physique of a comic character and the physique of a real person, but even in this light what Courtney Whitmore is wearing looks ridiculous. And impractical. It looks like she's taken Pemberton's 'dress' costume and cut a display window for her abdomen. It's not armoured in any way and I wouldn't trust the flame resistant treatment after a decade in a cupboard. Particularly with that much skin not even covered.

Jack catches the Cosmic Staff in his right hand and… For a moment, smiles. Then he goes back to glaring at the delinquent who stole it from the person who took it from the person who borrowed it and didn't return it.

"Give that b-"

"D-dad?"

"-ack you jerk!"

Rick Tyler looks at Matt in shock for a moment, then his face hardens. "What the fuck! I thought you were supposed to be dead!"

"Ah, no. I'm Matthew Tyler. We're related, but… Distantly. I had been under the impression that you were living with your uncle?"

"Yeah."

And his expression says exactly how he feels about that.

"Ah. Is now a good time to catch up? I'll buy you a coffee?"

Rick sullens at Matt for a moment.

"If you make it a beer, sure."

"I think -given the circumstances- my morality subroutines will accept that proposition. Which way to the local liquor store?"

As the two of them walk off I notice that Courtney's taken the opportunity to march up to Jack, who doesn't look even slightly impressed.

"Give it back! That's my dad's!"

"No, it's my dad's."

She grabs it while he's still holding onto it, prompting him to shake his head and let go. She smiles slightly and tries to pull it towards herself, only for it not to move at all.

"What? What's going on!?"

"It's designed to recognise its owner's brainwaves, and I'm its owner."

"No, it-. You're Sylvester Pemberton's son?"

This time, Jack outright scowls.

"No, I'm Doctor Theodore Knight's son. The guy who was the first Starman and who lent Sly his spare staff."

The Staff floats upwards two metres, with Courtney hanging off it for several moments until she finally gives up and drops back down to the road surface.

"Ah." Tommy approaches the young woman who has somehow managed to fit herself into Ted Grant's old costume. "I don't really care about that costume. Dad always hated it. Said it threw off his instincts. But kids shouldn't be fighting serial killers, which is what you're signing up for if you put that on. So go home, change out of it, and give it back to Pat."

Courtney jumps up to try and reach the staff as Pieter steps out of the shadows to take the goggles off the twelve year old who somehow got her hands on them. Fortunately, she's smart enough to see how this is going and surrenders them without a fight.

From the glowing platform we're standing on, Barbara Whitmore shakes her head in astonishment.

"I'm.. so sorry. I had no idea Pat even had the.. staff. I certainly didn't know that Courtney was using it. I'm going to be laying down the law with both of them."

Jennie nods.

"Just so long as you make it clear that it really isn't safe for children to be involved in this."

"And just to make sure…" I smile as my construct microfiche reader finds a picture of Injustice Society front man Sportsmaster in the local paper. "We'll pick up all of the remaining Injustice Society members before we leave town."

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'in'

'it looks'

Is this version of Paul dating Jennifer?

Is he using only Alan Scott's green lantern ring now, instead of his orange ring?

22. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

I almost feel sorry for them... nah, not really.

23. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

This is hilarious and how 90% of superhero kids should be dealt with.

Send em to the Wards, outside of Brockton Bay they're a pretty good training program.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Potential for Paul to start some kind of training program sometime in the future.

25. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

"We'll sell action figures, and use them as meat shields when the giant monsters show up! Trust me Jade, this will be amazing!"

"My name isn't Jade"

"Quiet Jade! I'm trying to mentor children in violence here!"

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.
    Yes.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

While yes Courtney's actions were stupid.

You're doing that bad writing thing again where you re-write bits of the setting to make those actions seem worse then they actually were so your SI can act morally superior.

DeAnno, MasterG, Zeroguard and 9 others like this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Her actions were as worse as they appeared, the writers of the show just made it so that we would agree with her actions.

She gathered a bunch of teenagers to fight a group that managed to kill superheroes that were both more experienced and more trained than them.

This is a horrible decision to make.

She doesn't have the plot armor that she has in the show of being allowed to get away with her stupid things and somehow not being stopped from performing her actions.

Zoat is just showing how her actions would be viewed from another perspective, that being stupid teenage girl does something really stupid, instead of some story of a teenage girl taking up the legacy of dead heroes.

When you prevent a bunch of untrained teenagers from fighting a group of veteran killers you can act as morally superior as you want.

29. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Oh, I was right! And yeah, as fun as tv show is teenagers should by all accounts have no chance against the veteran villain organization and should have been pulled out for proper training at least if the really wanted to be superheroes.

Of course, meta wise in tv show there are apparently no other heroes to call on so this is just a logical expansion if there was instead.

Mr Zoat, what do you think of show overall anyway?

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Okay, you know what, I am going to blunt and simple here.

Yes or No.

Did Zoat add in the bit about Theodore Knight being the first Starman and loaning his staff to Sylvester Pemberton in the Stargirl verse?