1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It mostly depends on who he's fighting/working against. Remember how he was pleasantly surprised that he could get away with freeing all of the people imprisoned for wanting physical interaction from Rachet's homeworld with no problems whatsoever?

2. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Honestly? Barely.

That's probably on me though. My memory is friggin weird. Some shit I lose instantly...and some stuff sticks with me forever.

Shit, I still remember my childhood phone number, AND a number of a not really even friend that I called ONCE.

3. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Never allow a researcher be the first human recipient and/or test subject of their in experimental serums. Not even when you are that researcher and 'know better'. It will end poorly for them and you. And the worst part the person best able to figure out why is no longer available.

Is this on a Evil Overlord List somewhere?
    If not it should be.

kerleth, Gantradies, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  4. Threadmarks: Back Seat (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

4th July 2012
    19:46 GMT

"Prince J'emm, thank you for seeing me on such short notice."

He gestures up at the Martian sky, the giant telekinetic pillars piercing the oddly purple-tinted air as they squeeze the atmosphere into a narrow breathable volume. Martian biotechnology based on the pillars Mother of Mercy uses to control Ater Clementia's movement, they're the reason why Martians are starting to resettle the surface of their world in earnest. Near the tops of the pillars I can see clouds, the result of Mother of Mercy deciding that Mars needed more water far more than astronomers needed Halley's Comet.

**With all that you have done for us, it would be churlish in the extreme for me to refuse you.**

**Telepathy?**

He nods, smiling.. in a way that looks very nearly natural. He's copied Mister J'onzz's humanish appearance, though most of the Martians working around us maintain their default shape.

"I find it difficult to remember that the air is now thick enough for speech. And my children will know nothing else."

"How popular is the movement to reclaim the surface?"

"Unlike humans, Martians don't have a longing for privacy. But in some cases, the ability to live a little further away from one another may be… Beneficial."

"And I'm sure that was an implication that a Martian would have understood, but in my case…"

"My… Fellow Reds have been a.. little less receptive than I had hoped to my preferred response to the information you brought me on your first meeting with me."

"I see."

"My own city is now completely-. Legally, it is completely desegregated. And my cabinet is aware of the reason why I have taken such steps without an approving consensus in the Planetary Council. I will not try to claim that everyone.. has complied with my edicts or that there has been no push back, but… Things are changing. And my city is not the only one."

"And in the other cities?"

"They are… Most of them are moderating their position. They are generally so calcified that rapid change… It would tear them apart, to the detriment of all, including their Whites."

"There's a limit to how patient I'm prepared to be, Prelate." I turn away, looking out across Mars for the particular sets of desires I'm-. Hah. "How much trouble would it cause if I gave an orange power ring to a White?"

"That depends on the political beliefs of that particular White. If they were violent, it could cause a great deal of trouble. If they were peacefully inclined, in the current climate… I do not believe that it would cause more than we are already experiencing."

I.. don't really have time to mentor someone now. But Koriand'r should have time, now that the fighting in Vega has died off. I don't think that Komand'r has the right mindset for something this delicate. No, no, she's still too inexperienced for that sort of mentoring. I don't think that Tamaraneans have the same sort of emotional difficulties that Martians can.

"Is there anyone who might decide to be more helpful if I had a chat with them?"

"Yesss-. You mean other Reds."

"Were you about to ask me to ask the Whites to just-" **[Image of a riot officer beating a protestor with a truncheon]** "-lie there and take it?"

"Frankly, yes. I have shown as many Reds as I dare all that you have shown me, but the strongest resistance is coming from Green groups. They do not understand why those they considered beneath them are now decreed to be their equals, and I cannot share that information without causing the anarchy which I do not believe will help anyone. If the White population could be encouraged to gravitate towards the more peaceful reformist groups, that would make my job a little easier."

"Any Greens I can talk to instead?"

"No. There is no real Green leadership to the anti-desegregation movement. Yet, at least. Where the caste system is decreed the leaders of the forces which enforce it are Red."

Darn.

"Okay. I'll.. think about it. The… Other reason why I'm here is that I want to hire a large number of professional telepaths."

"'Professional' in what regard? I doubt that you need experts on telepathic music."

"Aside from the fact that L.E.G.I.O.N. would like to hire telepaths for military purposes, I'm here on behalf of the people of Colu. Currently, nearly their entire species is held in a computer network which locks their minds outside of their organic brains. We need people who can interact with that network and extract them, or delete anything that isn't an organic Coluan."

"Organic Coluan?" I nod. "You know that Martians… Cannot touch the thoughts of purely synthetic species."

"What if the system they're running on is made of organic brains?"

"I.. have.. no idea. But the sort of precise, controlled telepathy you're looking for… There is little call for it. I doubt that there are more than a few hundred professionals in the field who could help, and only a small fraction of them would be willing to leave the planet. You may be better off asking M'gann M'orzz."

"M'gann can't simply leave Earth for weeks or months on end like that. And while she may have the power, she hasn't really had the opportunity to learn the precision a job like that would require."

"It will be a simple matter for me to make potentially interested parties aware of your request. As for the use of telepaths for your military-."

"I can talk to the more violently-minded Whites, but that leaves the worrying possibility that they might come back with L.E.G.I.O.N. training and form a far more effective insurgency."

"How long will you require their services?"

"Probably a few decades."

"If we haven't resolved the situation here by then, they will have every right to be vengeful."

"Are you speaking just for you there?"

"The prelates only rule Martian cities. If a Martian chooses to leave all presently existing cities, then there are remarkably few laws which apply to their conduct. Anyone who wishes to leave with you is free to do so."

"And to return?"

"I will guarantee that any who wish to do so will be able to return to Mel'dilo'rn. I cannot speak for other cities on that subject, though it is my hope that the matter will be resolved in a way they find pleasing by that time."

I nod. "Alright. Tell me who I'm going to be talking to, then post the job offer. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up at least a few interested people on my way back."

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's nice to see that equality is slowly coming for White Martians. Hopefully Karmang won't ruin it and start a violent civil war. Mr Zoat, is there any chance of Karmang reaching out to Paul after everything Paul has done, or is Paul just seen as another servant of the Guardians who caused the racism on Mars in the first place?

6. Mr Zoat

I haven't written it yet.

7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, our old buddy, the 'Son of Saturn' as some older DC fans might know him...

Damn, there's a pity. Halley's was one of the more reliable comets... Still, reshaping a world? No better fate for it.

Force of habit, no doubt. After all, who needs to talk amongst a people of mind-readers?

x3 It's a buoying feeling, isn't it? A rare chance to be able to say you left the world a better place for your descendants, and mean it.

Some people just need space, sometimes.

Ah... Despite the clear proof, they're keeping their heads in the sand?

Someone had to be the first. You showed great courage in doing so. And that'll make you remembered in the years to come...

Because 'Things were fine until now. Why do we need to change?' is a strong urge to resist. And fear of change is even harder to overcome...

So, you'd much prefer a Martin Luther King, to a Malcolm X. Understandable, but not great for OL's needs.

And Kalmin is still refusing to make another Blue ring yet? As for emotions, I can imagine the martians picturing Tamaraneans as those small, yappy hyperactive dogs, in terms of emotional output...

Ah, good to see OL's natural telepathic openness begin used again. It's been a while...

Unfortunately, I don't think some parties are going to be so patient or reserved...

So, naturally following the lead of their 'noble' leaders. Still so set in their ways, they are...

Better be more specific, OL. 'Professional' can cover a lot of things.

Seriously getting Matrix vibes from this scenario, despite it predating the movies by years. And now the Martians are going to be the resistance, diving in to free Coluans and fight 'Agents' of the Tyrants... :p

I doubt any Martian has ever encountered something like that before, have they? Imagine if they got some clever ideas from the experience...

Ah, She's still in the sledge-hammer level of precision, eh? Not many who could train someone that strong, after all.

Oooh, there's a bad image. Right now, the best the Whites have are barely-skilled militia... Throw even one experienced soldier in there, and... The Reds and Greens would be in for a bad time.

Yeah, this isn't going to be over by Christmas. I wonder how many will take up his offer when they realise just how long it'll last for.

Fellow's got a good point. But... Things like this won't just get resolved in a couple of weeks anyway.

I have the suspicion many of those who leave will be the sort who wouldn't want to come back anytime soon...

And hopefully vet them for suitability. You don't want the ones who won't hesitate to mind-wipe people at the drop of a hat... Outside of very special applications, at least.

So, part one of his recruiting drive is underway. Let's hope the ones who respond prove to be suitable. You never know who you're going to get, after all... I wonder what the ancient Martian thinks of this, assuming he's even been awakened in this timeline...

8. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

The push back from the Greens reminds me a little of some of the EU issues that Star Wars had. The Empire was very much pro human, so once the New Republic took over and stated that Humans and Other Races were equal, they had push back. Not just from the old hard line Imperials, but also just average humans, because well....their part of the pie just got smaller to even things out.

Greens that suddenly have to compete for jobs or housing and such equally with Whites suddenly feel put out from the change.

Having the surface opened up for spread out sprawls the population out a bit more, offering added resources. And separation from groups that they don't wish to deal with, but requires them to put more effort into making those new settlements function without leaning on a previously exploitable underclass. Opening up the West to settlement in the early days of North American History comes to mind as a decent comparison point. hope the Prelate read some of the books J'onn sent back covering such things on earth.

9. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

No, because the 'anything that changes your thought-process or personality is actually killing you and replacing you with someone else' is an argument put forwards by gravel-brained morons.

If change was death then we'd die every day, when we change our minds on what our favourite song is or what we want to eat today.
    As we acquire new memories or forget old ones, or as we pick up new skills.

What he did was closer to giving himself a serious head-injury with associated brain-damage.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  10. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

If they really miss Haley's comet OL could build them a new one out of ice from Saturn's rings. There's enough ice there for a bunch of comets. MOM probably just grabbed it because it was all in one big chunk and didn't want to spend time gathering ice dust.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'have done for us'

'Martians have'

'an organic'

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Something that sadly also happens in real life.

OL is always more of a peaceful solution kind of guy, so he may want to try a more non violent way first.

Though I bet they may like them due to their earnestness or joy.

Except for Komand'r.

I think they'll compare her to that wild dog that you don't go near to.

Karmang is awake here.

When some of the Team went to Mars one of the terrorists mentioned his name.

13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Please be Martian Womanhunter... Please be Martian Womanhunter... Please be Martian Womanhunter...

14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I'm pretty sure this is Zoat making stuff up, so this would be Zoat taking homage from the Matrix movies, not the Wachowski siblings re-using an idea from DC comics.

The Computer Tyrants were more like Friend Computer than the Matrix movies. Physically enslaving the coluans pre-crisis, and using brainwashing and memory erasing post crisis, from what I understand.

They closest they came to this sort of thing in the comics that I am aware of, is creating an avatar for themselves- Pulsar Stargrave.

Unless someone can direct me to the comic that does show the Coluan occupation by the Computer Tyrants as something out of the Matrix?

15. Mr Zoat

Yeah, Mars needed a lot of water.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's correct.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Okay then maybe 'Tamaraneans can have the same', since it sounds a bit better when you read the sentence.

17. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

I mean, he literally took a mind altering substance. He's in an altered mental state that he's decided is fine.
    I rarely agree with you but he was fun.

18. Awkward

Awkward Know what you're doing yet?

By that logic drinking medicine or alcohol is also suicide. Some medicines change the hormonal balance which affects your thought processes, but it is specifically designed to prolong your life via healing shit. Alcohol is a literal poison, that humanity drinks specifically for that woozy woollen feeling in their heads, so that they feel less burdened or just to feel weird for a few hours.

Hell, drinking coffee or tea is also suicide by this logic, since they're both caffeinated and act as central nervous system stimulants. When it (caffeine) reaches your brain, the most noticeable effect is alertness. You'll feel more awake and less tired, so it's a common ingredient in medications to treat or manage drowsiness, headaches, and migraines.
    Which, according to the argument of "changing = suicide/death" means that drinking coffee is suicide.

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Mr Zoat

I still disagree.

20. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

A man desperately trying to overturn the existing social order without collapsing civilisation.
    Doing a decent job at it too given the time frame.

Eh, plenty more clumps of faintly luminescent stuff hurtling through the void to look at.

NightmareWarden likes this.
  21. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

The Green Martian reluctance to accept the equality of the White Martians is also reflective of how things were in the USA following the ACW, while poor whites in the role of the Greens and former slaves in the role of the Whites. I’m sure there are other analogues in Earth’s history as well, but I’ve done most of my historical studies in the USA, particularly the early 19th Century.

22. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I will say that if your entire personality is changed by an outside source, that qualifies as death. Even more so if all your memories are erased.

Though, as you say, where do you draw the line? The OL of now is not anywhere near the Paul who first woke up in his PJ's in space. While he did grow as a person, he's also been warped and changed by powerful outside sources. Primarily the orange light.

Does that mean OG Paul "died"? I'd say no, but its an interesting question.

Now...Tangsied, who this is about. That's trickier I think. Because of him taking this evil potion...he'll do things OG Paul would never do, would be horrified by doing. But...is it because he was changed? Or because like The Good Doctor Jekyll...it just drew out the darkness within?

At what point are you not you anymore? Is it the point where the OG you would fight to stop the Now you?

I dunno.

Interesting thought though.

23. Mr Zoat

A few days ago someone (sorry, don't remember who) asked what Jade sees in the SI. Her falling in love with him went a little like this:

Favourable initial impression. She found out that he beat up her father like it wasn't even hard. After apprehending her he visited her in prison and was probably her 'best' social contact during the initial part of her imprisonment.
    Relationship building. He invested a significant amount of effort into helping her, and while she wasn't hugely enthusiastic about the help itself, she appreciated the time he was putting in. But she didn't get really interested until he asked her to involve herself in the Nabu situation. That was a big deal because while she expected a superhero to have a strong moral compass, there was always an element of... Blue code of silence. She assumed that most people picked a team and 'voted the party line'. That the SI was willing to go against friends and mentors on a moral issue and pursue his objective ruthlessly without becoming as ruthless in every part of his life as some of the murderers she'd known impressed her.

24. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Chicks dig bad boys, it is known.

25. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

I look at OL more like a Butterfly. He grew and changed, even rebuilt his body.

Tangseid is more like a traumatized version of himself. Instant change but still core self mentally only morals are changed.

Cuchulin and Gilhelmi like this.
  26. Threadmarks: Back Seat (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

4th July 2012
    21:34 GMT

The situation in Xan'Xie is tense. The locals move around the caverns quickly, with no inter-colour mixing at all. Armed Manhunters are visible at every thoroughfare, and even without mobile faces I can feel the malice coming from the nearby Whites. Their bodies are.. non-standard. They've shifted to increase their musculature, and several are wearing decorations that.. aren't quite the red circle of the Hyperclan, but are certainly reminiscent of it.

John Stewart looks around.

"Are things usually this bad?"

"This city is generally considered pretty racist, but I haven't been here before. Prince J'emm implied that things had gotten worse recently, but I can't personally confirm that."

"This place is one wrong word away from a full blown riot."

"One wrong thought."

He frowns for a second, then nods. "I guess I should thank you for calling me in."

"That's really more something I did because I can't spend the time here that I'd need to. But it-."

"My Sector, my problem. I know." He looks around again. "And this really all happened because of that mission-?"

"How good is your telepath blocking?"

"Good. Not great." He points to the back of his neck with his right hand. "But I picked this up on Ogoro. Telepath disruptor. Just in case."

"Nice to see someone taking his personal protective equipment so seriously. But if things turn nasty here, you might want-"

I tap his cuirass with the knuckle of my right index finger.

"-something a little tougher than that."

He shakes his head. "Lighter armour makes me look less intimidating. Helps social interactions. If I was coming into an actual war zone I'd agree with you, but we're trying to negotiate."

"With telepaths who aren't used to human facial expression."

"Then they'll hear what I think-."

"No. Because…" I start to point at my neck, then point at his.

He looks away awkwardly. "It's not a hundred percent effective. Are we supposed to be meeting someone-?"

A lot of Whites converge on one of the entrances. Civilian Greens stream away in all directions while the Manhunters hold their ground.

"Uh-oh. This our guy?"

I take a look at the desires of the group.

"Those are Martians who have the desires I'm looking for. Combined with the Hyperclan emblem they're narrowly not wearing, I'm pretty sure that he's in there. But they're shapeshifters and I've never met him before, so I can't swear to it."

The Whites try to enter the cavern in a mass. The Manhunters move to stop them. The Whites stop advancing, but they don't retreat an inch either. I can't hear it, but I rather imagine that the Manhunters are trying to give them orders to that effect. It's a weird silent film version of deliberate provocation chicken, and even knowing how serious it is it still seems a little ridiculous. Other than the body structure alterations there isn't even any body language to read. They're just floating there next to each other.

"John, you're up."

"You don't wanna take the lead?"

"You're the senior Sector Lantern."

"Gee. Thanks."

He flies upwards towards the pending confrontation. Not his first time defusing this sort of confrontation; he was trained by Katma Tui on Korugar when it was trying to decide how to govern itself in the post-Sinestro era, and that was anything but peaceful. I-.

"Excuse me? You're… Orange Lantern, right?"

I turn around to see a White Martian who has adopted the humanish appearance well enough for me to see that they're nervous. Or at least, mimicking the outwards appearance of humanoid nervousness.

"One of several hundred, yes."

"Yeah, but, the one who M-. Who comes from Earth?"

"Was that cut off sentence 'who Mister J'aarkn met'?"

"Um." The Martian awkwardly rubs his hands together. "Yeah?"

"I met him, certainly. And I'm aware of the memories he's been sharing, and while I'm sure that you're perfectly capable of assuming attractive shapes, that's not why I'm here."

"Ah. I hadn't-. Uh. R-? Really? Because. No no no, just forget I… Um."

"What was it you wanted?"

"Is there going to be a fight? Because I don't want to be here, but they're closing the exits."

I look around… Darn it.

"If it comes to it, I'll shield any bystanders. But we're trying to avoid having a fight break out."

"I don't just mean this cavern. When Mel'dilo'rn got rid of the Neapolitan laws I wanted to move there, but the Prelate brought in travel restrictions. We've got even less freedom now than when the changes started."

"Are there a lot of people who want to get out before things blow up?"

"Is that an option?"

"I'm here to hire some people for work off planet. I mostly need skilled telepaths or people with military experience, but if you don't mind learning then I can make use of you."

"I'd.. love to get better at telepathy. We only get basic education here. I know that's not the case in other cities…"

We have a few telepaths in L.E.G.I.O.N., and… One, in the Orange Lantern Corps. On the other hand, I could just hire Mr. King to train them up. I doubt that he'd mind taking time away from Earth.

"If you had existing skills in that area, I'd recruit you at once. As you don't, I'm afraid any offer will have to wait until-"

I feel it as John activates his ring, and look up to see him sticking a construct barrier between the belligerent parties.

"-after I've spoken to your Prelate. Excuse me."

I fly upwards, a somewhat fixed smile on my face. I know it's useless for exactly the same reason I gave John, and I'm doing it for the same reason he did. I never claimed to be perfectly rational.

"Lantern Stewart. Problem?"

The Manhunters draw their guns and point them at one of the Whites, who doesn't outwardly react.

"No. No problems. But we might wanna change of venue."

"Not a problem. We can all fly. Why not have our meeting right here?"

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  27. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

not -> no

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

;with no'

maybe 'Helps with'

29. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

You know what, thinking about it, it would be interesting if the Tangseid story is leading up to Tangseid becoming this massive horrible villain, and then he somehow gets cured of the "evil serum" or whatever he took, and has to deal with the fallout of every fucked up thing he did.

In the same kinda vein as Superior Spiderman but everything is a million times worse.

Vorian, erebus1994, Wheenesss and 9 others like this.
  30. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

The easiest way would be to stick an indigo ring on him.