1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

To be fair, we have already reached the point in histiography where study of the first and second world wars had entailed the consideration that we should look at the second world war in many ways as a continuation of the first.

(Or in much the same way as we look at the wars of religion i.e. the 30 years war).

2. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

You'd think he'd have built himself a handsome clone body by now.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'spirits took'

'animate'

No kidding.

They have Atlantis. Though they hate them.

They have Africa. Though they may make it so that the wards end up summoning demons that rape them as revenge.

They're still using that?

It's a fairly common fascist tactic to try and rewrite history.

Seeing as the Nazis aren't supermen, they kinda need to tell themselves that they are.

And to be honest it would kinda be more impressive if they left the fact that they lost the war but managed to conquer the world later on.

They basically lost and their country was devastated, but they still managed to overcome that and become the most powerful country in the world.

It's still horrible and they only did that because they got lucky and stumbled on some advanced tech, but still.

'Midnite'

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

God damn it, I still like Blitzen.

And isn't a bit weird to give up just like that?

That woman's mind/soul was somehow so repressed that even demon guns and apokalyptian gods could not find anything. That speaks of something major, anti-life being prominent among them.

6. Mr Zoat

The League and Co. are not giving up, but when you've exhausted all of your leads it isn't really an active investigation any longer.

7. Mr Zoat

Okay, now that I've had a few minutes to think about it, let me explain this a bit better.

Demonising by association is not a reasonable argument. It does not make sense to say:
    Person A is a member of Group 1
    Person B is a member of Group 1
    Therefore, person A believes everything that person B does.

Or to put it another say, Tenzin is a nationalist. The moment he found out that more Air Benders were being born his first instinct was to try to persuade them to leave their homes so that he could restart Air Nomad culture, completely ignoring their lives and the cultures they lived in. That does not mean that he was biding his time until he could conquer the world.

In addition, I asked for examples of things that Kuvira said or did in order to prove that she wanted to expand further. Saying that Sozin wanted to expand doesn't answer my original inquiry.

8. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

If Fite is involved is this a sign that this might actually be Darkseid and not Necron?

Prince Charon likes this.
  9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Or the Anti-monitor, who has been linked to the ALE since Freedom Fighters.

Or the Anti-Life Entity, which has been a thing since Cosmic Odyssey.

ChestBurster, Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, for... Of course their one lead has vanished into thin air, hasn't it? Which is itself worrying, given what she has for a passenger. Still, these days, when someone gets disappeared, it's a lot harder for them to stay disappeared...

...You can tell 'Young Justice' the comic didn't take itself seriously, can't you?

Either the Crimson Avenger hit her, or whoever set all this up decided not to leave her in the wind...

...Teenage girl. What secrets wouldn't she keep from her father? Especially if she knew he wouldn't like it.

...That's one way to interpret what she did. Probably things she learned from her grandmother.

And no, her grandfather doesn't count. He's only called The Baron.

On the other hand, an unnoticed Anti-Life fragment could count for a lot.

Nor why those who were targetted were. That's still an unknown.

So, this was basically a dangling loose end. Perhaps someday it'll get tugged on to unravel a greater conspiracy...

Not unless they somehow interfered in something he had his fingers in. But I doubt it...

Welp... I guess the team can't do much more at this point.

You can but hope...

Little thing called sleep, Dick. :rolleyes: You still need it, even as a member of the Batfamily...

Heading back to the Reach front? Ah, well, so much for Earth storylines for a while.

If I didn't know better, she's probably trying to affect a noir detective look. But I can't see films with that sort of character being legal in Amerika.

Besides, he does get a general idea of their surroundings when he pings someone to lock onto...

People are very good at convincing themselves things are more mundane than they look.

Pity the hitwoman is currently in the wind, but unarmed.

"So, all that mingling for nothing..."

At least until she gets recalled to Earth-10. Because I doubt this little holiday is intended to be too long.

I assume she has some sort of local computer gear.

Heh. Nothing she can replicate at home, of course.

It took a thaumaturgic genius months to bring the design to where it is now. I don't think a culture with no native magic will do very well attempting to copy it beyond the purely physical...

Pfft, like she buys that crap.

Because historical revisionism. :rolleyes: "We didn't lose, we merely stopped fighting until we could rebuild our army."

A mighty empire... Ruled by petty little men.

I bet he's been taking full advantage of every bit of Kryptonian medical science to extend his life as long as he can.

And so the episode ends, not with a triumph, but with a fizzling groan. Honestly, this was not the League or the Team's brightest hour. Kind of lived up to the title ('A little bit of black', remember?) Still, some interesting seeds laid for future plots, and a fun little side-trek into an alternate Paul's day, so not a complete waste. And OL's headed back into space soon, so things should get a little more lively soon. :D

11. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Wait, wasn't republic city literally a part of the earth kingdom until after the war? I might be misremembering it's been a while since I watched Legend of Korra.

NightmareWarden likes this.
  12. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I don't know when or how but I will use this line in real life.

13. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Hey, Mr Zoat, is Hera ever going to show up in your side story, ‘In Praise of Eros’?

I’m asking here because I don’t want to necro that thread.

ChestBurster and Bud-E like this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There was a character named the Might Endowed.

You do the math.

I think Anute may have behind the Crimson Avenger.

Remember Scott and Barda said that someone could be doing what the Key did and channel the AL Equation.

Yeah, I doubtbrhe government would be fine with a franchise and genre that tends to portray authority figures and the cops as corrupt or incompetent.

As I said, a common fascist tactic.

Behind every great war and empire is just someone that's insecure in themselves.

Kubrick kinda had a point about that.

15. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘is a anti-magic ward’
    should be ‘an’

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

The land was part of the Earth Kingdom, then the Fire Nation occupied it under Sozin. I don't think it was stated whether they conquered an Earth Kingdom settlement of just started building on an unoccupied area of coastland. Sozin called it a 'colony', but that might just have been propoganda.

Then he had his fight with Roku and lost. I don't think we were told what happened to the colony during this period.

Decades pass, then he killed Roku and wiped out the Air Nomands. At this point, the colony formed the starting point for his invasion of the Earth Kingdom.

100 years pass, with the Fire Nation doing their best to settle/indocrinate the place. Then Aang beats Ozai and his friend Zuko takes over the Fire Nation.
    Probably not. When I find time the next two hookups are going to be Dr. Quinzel and Dr. Sivana.
    Not at all. Race traitors and secret jews infiltrating society in order to corrupt it are common villain archetypes.
    Thank you, corrected.

17. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Which Dr. Sivana?

18. Michael Vonica

I would like to point out that Paul has once again forgotten all about the search for Constantine that he has sworn to do.

Prince Charon and DAT_NOOB like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

He hasn't forgotten, it's just that a demon gunwoman shooting people right now takes presidence.

20. Michael Vonica

My bad. I suppose I was a bit premature with my assessment.

21. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

A single arc potentially introducing both Secret and Empress? I like where this is going!

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Probably Beautia.

Though maybe Magnificus could also be it.

23. Bud-E

Venus is also a doctor.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I'm not certain that should be the case even if it is.
    Leaving John Constantine unattended can have adverse results and paul knows this.

Prince Charon likes this.
  25. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

It seems like every time he decides to look for Constantine something bad happens, which knowing Constantine may well be a defensive spell he cast.

26. Threadmarks: Vantavendi (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

22nd October 2012
    21:17 GMT +3

I take a moment to look down at the celebration taking part in the room below us. Luna is in equiform and attracting quite a lot of attention. Not people engaging her in conversation, that would be far too civilised. No, just people staring and needing some time to mentally adapt to the presence of a sophont quadruped who looks sort of like a horse. And that attitude is precisely why I brought Sunset along; next to her she's coping far better than she would have been otherwise.

The… Seven, I think? G-goblins are fitting in rather better. No Ixy, but Dubbilex and… Six other pun-named telepaths accompanied by a g-goblin bodyguard or two. They're human sized and human shaped and most of the politicians here have become accustomed to genomorphs operating in their countries over the course of the year. Representatives of just about every African nation are either down there or attending one of the other events we're running across the continent to celebrate.
    This Feels So Right.
    A year without war. Technically. If you fudge the definitions slightly. No African nation taking up arms against another or against its own people, at least. And with stability has come a degree of prosperity. Africa now has a larger economy than… Okay, than Australasia, but that's for the first time in recorded history and it's a start, damn it! Life expectancy is already increasing. Time children spend in school is definitely increasing, legitimate employment is increasing as corruption vanishes and Lex finds out what running a responsible megacorporation is actually like.

We're even fixing the rivers! And roads, but Africa's so huge and air travel by low-flying space-capable craft is so cheap that -much like wired phone lines- it'll probably be easier to skip that step.

I raise my glass tankard in a silent toast to the people below, then turn back to my fellow members of The Light. Lex has progressed to a telepresence robot, a machine that reminds me a little of Mike the TV or KOMPLEX's robot body.

I frown mildly as I consider the direction of my thoughts on the issue. Maybe I should talk to him about reconsidering his image? Wasn't there a… Cartoon where the robots had screens for faces? Never been able to remember what that was called

Adom floats over, looking past me to the people below.

"Pleasing."

"I'll say." I glance at him. "But I don't think you quite feel it in the same way that I do."

"I have some idea of the tumult this continent endured before we took control."

"Come on, Adom, we're talked about this. It's not 'took control', it's 'lent aid'. 'Exerted persuasive influence'. 'Appealed to the better angels of their nature'."

"We gave them no choice, and their lives are better for it."

"Yes, and you know that and I know that and, honestly, I'm sure they do too. It's the illusion of choice that we need to appear to give, not choice itself. People who know that they're being compelled to move in a particular direction will often fight against it, and we don’t want people fighting us."

"They would lose. But you will tell me that is not the point."

"We didn't conquer… Well, okay, you conquered Kahndaq and I got Sudan, but we didn't bring in an army of foreigners and force them to bend their knees and expect them to thank us for it. We set limits for people and grant them opportunities, we should never use a whip hand to drive them."

"Then you are correct." He gives me a sidelong glance, and I know that I'm about to hear the closest thing to a joke he's capable of saying. "I do not feel it in quite the same way that you do."

"Oh, that wasn't what I meant. I'm the New God of Conquest, remember. Africa's been an itch in my soul ever since I reclaimed my power. Every time I came here, just…" I raise my left hand to my chest and clench my fist. "But no longer. It's working, it's all working."

I close my eyes for a moment and just feel the connectivity of the whole land. It's not done yet, it's nowhere near done, but it's functioning now.

Adom shakes his head. "You are still correct. I do not feel any great change from when we began. Improvement, yes, but that is to be expected when laws are enforced on highly-placed criminals."

"You wanna feel it?"

"I feel that I am sufficiently blessed, thank you."

"No, no, I don't mean-. You wouldn't end up with the same nature as me, anyway. I mean, you should be able to use the Power of Atum to listen in on my god-sense. Right?"

He frowns thoughtfully. "I do not know. It would make sense to a degree if I were to overpower you-."

"No no no. No overpowering, I'm letting you in willingly." I turn my head back towards the other members of The Light. "Circe, that should work, shouldn't it?"

Circe looks around from where she was deeply in conversation with Cranius.

"Using the Power of Atum to connect to another form of arcane power? That should be within his purview. Have you never experimented before?"

"No." Adom looks a little curious. "I have always used it to attack."

"Well then!" I crouch slightly and crane my neck towards him, gesturing to my forehead with my left hand. "Hands on. Let's see if this works."

Richard uses shadows to support his own drink as he drifts closer, passing through the table apparently without noticing. "This could prove informative." He turns his head to Queen Clea. "Do you suppose that something like that would work on me?"

Clea is looking much better… Much younger, than she did when we first met. I'd say that she's at 'forty year old with an expert beautician who takes good care of herself'. She should get a little younger, but I doubt that she really needs it.

"I doubt it. The Shadowlands aren't like the Earth's thaumosphere. Though if you wish to experiment, the Arcane Institute of Venturia has heavily warded laboratories where you could do so safely. It could prove quite enlightening."

"If that's the case…" Richard hesitates. "Not to be a Dicky Downer here, but is it a good idea to do this in a densely populated city?"

Circe waves her left hand dismissively. "Grayven uses the same thaumosphere as Adom. I'm not certain that their systems can be made to interact in a way that would allow either of them to understand what the other is experiencing, but any blowback would be limited to them. And they're both big boys."

Adom drifts a little closer. "I will admit to a degree of curiosity. To see the world as a god does, even one as…"

We don’t all live in the thaumosphere, Adom. "It's okay, you can say it."

"As New as you. Have you tried this before?"

"Luna saw what I see when she intruded on my dreams. It works. Come on."

"Very well." Adom comes close enough that his chest obscures my vision, and I feel him firmly grasp my forehead with both hands. "Prepare yourself."

I relax, letting the corporeal universe flow away and immersing myself instead in the conceptual aspect of my nature.

"Lord Atum, show me my ally's power."

The meeting below is mildly discordant as People Are Out Of Their Place, but I clearly divine Control and Loyalty and Structure and Obligation. The tickling cough of Dysfunction that I feel all around is receding, the satisfying pump of Effort and Direction and Effectiveness, my metaphysical skin humming with a growing Health and Power. Ahead of me I feel the Greater Power that I reach toward, growing closer and more magnificent for it. And close about me I feel Directing Minds, my partners and allies without whose efforts I would not be so strong.

"I.. feel it."

As genomorph police hunt down terrorist weapons caches I am there.

"It is…"

As a student who hates me studies law under a grant I sponsor in a school I had built, I am there and I am approving.

"To be…"

As those who didn't recognise that their time was up break rocks in a prison, they do so under my watchful eyes.

Adom removes his hands, and I refocus my awareness. "Remarkable. And some day you will attain greater power?"

"Yes. But that's true of all of us. And if it isn't now, then I will make it so."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Godspeech a-go-go!

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'under a grant'

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, how are nations from other continents, particularly world powers, taking the fact that Africa is more peaceful and now improving thanks to what looks to be a joint operation from the Renegade and Lex?

I think that should say 'up'.

I remember Captain Marvel mentioning in Episode 34: Prayer that Adom taught him to try and use the Power of Zeus to detect magic the way he himself uses the Power of Atum. Is this a mistake, or was that in the sense of finding your enemies? I guess it would make sense that Adom never tried to use it with someone, since he didn't need to detect the magic or metaphysique of his allies.

30. Bud-E

The renegade Light is a lot more power of friendship than I remember.