1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

2. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Ah. I meant the Marvel version.

EDIT: Found one!

Prince Charon likes this.
  3. _The_Bomb

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Actually while Zoat is of course free to not include that since it was never shown in the cartoon, but in the comics the Norn Stones are in fact not of Asgardian manufacture.

They're Celestial.

So if Zoat is using that then he's using artifacts made by Space Gods to empower his artifact made by Aliens Who Might As Well Be Gods. Which I find quite appropriate.

Which reminds me, in the X-Men 92 continuation comic of the cartoon, the Celestials are the step of evolution after mutants (the Celestials evolved from the M'Krann as in the M'Krann Crystal), which is why a rogue Celestial was coming to wipe out Earth before humans evolve into New Celestials. To fight him they use the Darkhold to turn everyone into a mutant. So Earth had 5.453 billion mutants to protect it.

Looking at how MGH works, it would seem that a superhuman made into a mutant would just become more powerful, maybe gain new power thematic to what they already have. So like mutant Spider-Man would probably be faster, stronger, maybe gain organic webbing or telepathic spider communication, that sort of thing.

So what mutant power should X-Men Paul get in that hypothetical?

5. _The_Bomb

For the life of me I cannot find any mention of Hela before this. How did you know?!

EDIT: huh

Ardy likes this.
  6. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Gotta say "I'm dating Hela" has probably stopped a lot of people in their tracks. Probably even Loki

...was Paul just being nice to Janet and Janet played as if it was flirting because Hank was ignoring her too much for his work?

Still, Paul the multiversal matchmaker

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I doubt it.

He and Hela seemed to have started dating after the final battle with Loki, so Loki may be too busy being snake food to know about it.

Paul is terrible with women so it's possible that he did some nice things for her but was unaware that they would seem to have a romantic nature, so people mistook it for him flirting with her.

Jaron, Windona and Vaermina like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

And this.
    Partly. Also, he asked for her help with Anna Marie because she was female and a mutant, so they ended up spending a lot of time together.

9. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

How does Thor being a Norse god work in Marvel? I’m only really familiar with the MCU and it doesn’t come up as far as I can remember. Is there a resurgence of faith due to his existence being proven, or is there no difference because people know he’s just an alien, and not particularly inclined to helping worshippers?

10. Mr Zoat

The series was very careful to refer to him as 'the Prince of Thunder'.

11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In Marvel 2099 The Church of Thor was a major thing.

But generally, and I'd say pretty realistically, there are people who believe him and people who don't.

I imagine more people believe when things like Asgard becoming a city in the state of OK happen.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    Cuchulin, Lord Ernest and Vorian like this.
  12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'Anna'.

13. _The_Bomb

I’m sorry what?

14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    The traditional kind, not the poly kind.

15. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Yeah, kinda what I meant by the 'Paul was nice' bit. Paul did nice things, and Janet might have played it up a bit ala that episode with Captain Mar-vell.

Makes perfect sense. It would also give Hank a more solid reason to be suspicious.

Prince Charon likes this.
  16. Threadmarks: False Dawn (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    13:08 GMT

I adjust my bobble hat as Dr. Balewa leads the way across Hyde Park. Not a place I expected to ever come with a member of the Justice League, but I suppose he wasn't a member at the time. I'm dressed in clothing that's… More like my wardrobe from Earth Prime than anything I've worn since getting here, including a slightly ratty bomber jacket with a logo that looks a little like a something a rock band might use while being dissimilar enough to avoid incurring licensing fees. Not a perfect replica of the jacket I had handed down from my cousin Peter, which kept me warm through…

I honestly can't remember if it was Primary School or Secondary School. Huh.

Anyway, I'm dressed like a British person during winter, rather than a superhero or model… Okay, fine, idiosyncratically attired rich lunatic, like I normally am. Dr. Balewa usually dresses down, but for this trip he's left his kaftan on the Watchtower in favour of a long, puffy, bright red coat. It doesn't do much in the way of camouflage, but it's ridiculous enough that no one is going to think he's a superhero.

Chavy-ridiculous, not normal-superhero-clothing ridiculous.

Feel a bit awkward about Alan being here. Huh. I wonder. If he'd had his renovated ring at the time, would I have invited him? Yes, yes of course I would. Even if it might have affected his ability to join the League later -and I know how much he likes being part of the League- I would have wanted him with me.

"If he's been here all along then I'm going to be annoyed with myself."

"Part of him."

I frown, but if he's going to do the whole cryptic wizard thing… I suppose that he's earned that right. Someone his age is going to sound cryptic to someone my age even if they try and speak as plainly as possible, and that goes double for an actual wizard.

Scanning our surroundings for a moment I spot Alan, who appears to have decided that his best cover involves dressing like a stereotypical American tourist. Half his clothing has an American flag on it somewhere, and the other half appears to have been purchased from a London-themed market stall. The camera around his neck is a little incongruous, except he spent plenty of time around professional photographers and can probably talk about it in enough detail to cover himself if someone asked about it.

And standing next to him-. No. No, that's not-.

"Nommo?"

"You know how he was created?"

"Roughly."

"Consider the situation. John Constantine has inherited the power of a Lord of Order, but he cannot handle it. You hev seen John Quinn-."

"The use of his mother's maiden name was a bit obvious. And the fact that he looks like an idealised John Constantine. So that's what he is? It's a lot less worry… Ing…"

"Do you see the problem?"

"Creating a golem like that involves removing memories. So if he removed… What, every heroic memory and… Thought? Then he'd be-." What? "Don't tell me the thing I've been calling The Demon Constantine is actual-John?"

"No. Though knowing Constantine as I do, it does not sound beyond him. According to the Demon, he used a duplicate of himself thet he had already created."

"From before he created the Demon, or after?"

"Thet, the Demon did not know."

"Oh, come on. You told me that you knew enough to find John."

"Thet is why we are here. The Demon wishes to use the echoes of John's actions, here and in other places, to become more like him. Since John Constantine is not inclined to help mass murderers, I felt thet permitting this was in the interest of Earth."

"Always up for a bit of redemption. Why does he want to become more like John?"

"Why did you want to regain your memories after the second time you died?"

"Fair-. No, wait. I wouldn't have created a golem like that in the first place. For me it was like curing Alzheimer's, but the Demon never had those memories."

"No, but he had a memory of having those memories." Dr. Balewa looks away, probably reaching for an appropriate metaphor. "He would hev thought, but they would not make sense because the experiences thet would-."

"Like Mister Cairo from Phantom Twenty Forty."

"You cannot make me feel older than I do already."

Think I just made myself feel old.

"He was an intelligent computer program created from the mind of a widower to find out what caused the particularly nasty car crash that killed his wife. Unfortunately, he got damaged before being completed and was just left with an obsessive desire to learn everything. Once he finally learned the thing he was originally created to learn he returned to his creator and tried merging with him."

"Tried, and failed, then."

"By that point in their lives they were just too different to merge, even though they both wanted to. The widower got the information he wanted and could carry on with his life, but the infomorph was stuck knowing that its whole purpose was already fulfilled. The Demon Constantine's purpose was to go to Hell in John's place, which he did. The only good memory he has was Kathryn Ryan, and that didn't-. He remembers the relationship, but it wouldn't really have context."

I frown at him.

"And we can't just telepathically dub stuff over because his body is a construct of demon magic and so he doesn't literally have a brain."

Dr. Balewa smiles. "Thet was the first thing you thought of, wasn't it?"

"Yes, of c-." I'm getting distracted again. "But returning to the subject?"

"The Demon claimed thet John Quinn is keeping John Constantine in the Tower of Fate, using him to maintain control of the link to Order and Chaos."

"Wouldn't you be able to detect him using that much power? Or not just you, I mean, wouldn't it be obvious?"

"If he were using it all of the time, yes, certainly. If he were simply doing what Nabu did and drawing what he needed, no."

"Right then. So we're fighting Nabu Two. That explains Hyde Park."

"Thet would not be wise. While I hev not seen it, if John put enough of himself into John Quinn to use Order and Chaos, he would be far more powerful than Nabu was. And John was always more cunning than Nabu. A direct confrontation…"

He shakes his head. And he's right. The potential for collateral damage alone-.

"But we're freeing John Constantine and not talking to John Quinn about it in advance?"

"I do not share the optimism of some other League members. I think thet taking away his weapons first is far wiser. And thet is why we are going to break into the Tower of Fate."

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"talked"

So did he use that ritual to separate himself?

"looks"

18. _The_Bomb

Ok I am now confused who John Quinn is.

19. Osiris

Osiris Getting sticky.

Since when does Dr Balewa talk like Boris and Natasha?

20. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

They're saying that...Quin Isn't an alternate universe John here....they think, but another Golem, much like demon Constantine started as.

That....makes some sense since we really didn't hear anything from John about alternative universes, something that Paul got a lot of experience with these days.

So...John tries and fails to contain both order and chaos, and splits the load between himself and a golem duplicate....but the Dub that got Order figures that John's not exactly the best person to leave that kinda power with and double crosses him, locks him in the Tower or elsewhere, and goes on being Nabu 2.0.

It's a working theory.

21. adc

adc Getting some practice in, huh?

From what I gather, Quinn is a golem that Constantine filled with all the heroic memories and tendencies he had, which led him to being a superhero. He's currently holding (or at least has) Constantine... hostage? sort of like Nabu did to his hosts in the Tower of Fate in order to use the Order and Chaos power he has.

22. Mr Zoat

I don't think that's correct.
    Thank you, corrected.

23. Treekin3000

Treekin3000 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Golem made by and from John Constantine to be a conduit for the Powers of ORDER and CHAOS, so John himself could get out of the job long enough to learn to use those massive powers or just get out of it.

Has all John's heroic memories in order to make a heroic version of himself.

Except he seems to have imprisoned the original John under Nabu's/Fate's tower, to use the original as something of a focus to control the power.

Knowing how... pragmatic John the original can be, I can see just how heroic it might be to lock John Constantine away.

24. _The_Bomb

So even John’s most heroic memories and tendencies would be totally fine with kidnapping someone?

Actually….that totally checks out.

25. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

It’s a Bad Penny, Good Penny, Mad Penny situation*. John (Hereafter referred to as Constantine) figured the best way to deal with the strain of holding both Order and Chaos was to create a homunculus of all his most heroic qualities. Heroic John (hereafter referred to as Quinn) realized “Hey, Constantine kinda sucks ass, why don’t I just kidnap him and fulfill his duties since I’m just him but better.” Constantine, being the cosmic chew toy he is, somehow didn’t see this incredibly obvious betrayal coming (or, being the crafty bastard that he is, planned on Paul tracking him down and merging him with Quinn and Demon to create a John with sufficient enlightenment to control his powers like a smug fuck), while Demon immediately thought “what’s the stupidest and most likely to backfire thing I would do in this situation” and immediately figured it out because he’s the John with the most memories of their post-grad studies at the University of Hard Knocks.

*that’s a Please Don’t Tell My Parents I’m A Supervillain reference

26. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Golden boy 2.0?

That's scary. The original was crazy powerful even without Lord of Order powers

Do you know what's even scarier? John half angel, half devil, lord if chaos/order. Harmony.

That's going to be a trip. Especially since we all know he's never going allow himself closure or forgiveness.
    Entity would be unstable

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, hand-me-down clothes. Sometimes, they can be amazingly comfortable. After all, someone's already worn the stiffness out of them. Though it might take a little getting used to the slight difference in smell, but a few washes sort that out.

Heh. When was the last time OL went out in public in anything other than combat armour or a perfectly-tailored suit of clothes, I wonder? As for Doctor Mist, I'm amazed he isn't channeling Professor Badass.

'Chavs' being a particularly British subculture. For an American equivalent, think Dude-bros. With a side of 'Wigger'... :rolleyes: Sheesh, culture today...

Seriously, if John has been hiding out in the Tate Club this whole time......

Good lord, talk about hiding in plain sight.

Oh, for... Did they seriously let the Demon Constantine out in public? I hope they have very good leashes on him, as many as they could pack on...

I mean, it's not like John would ever have talked about on of his best swindles...

Huh. That sounds worryingly plausible, and entirely not what any of us were expecting.

I rather suspect a Chaotic Evil John would not be very different to normal... Marginally less concerned with friends and allies' safety than usual, maybe.

And you're sure you can trust what the Demon told you?

...Maybe he left a message for OL with the Tate Club crew that he's never thought to ask about?

And if John has done a runner from the universe - unlikely given that we haven't seen a new Lord of Chaos turn up yet - I suppose the Demon is as good a substitute as you can get.

Also because those memories were his. And we all know how well OL handles losing his stuff.

If anyone was wondering: Phantom 2040. Sort of a 'Batman: Beyond' version of a classic superhero. :confused: Fun fact, said original is oddly popular here in Australia.

1994, folks. :eek: That was 28 years ago... Some of you readers weren't even alive when that show started airing.

Not quite as explosively as the merger in the conclusion of 'Tron: Legacy', at least.

Yes, quite the conundrum.

OL can't help but want to improve the situation of those useful to him... His way of rewarding loyalty, in a way...

Again, you know he's not lying, how? Did Diana test him with the Lasso?

Clever, but hardly the best solution to the challenge of embodying both Order and Chaos. ...But sadly, it is such a Constantine solution...

Especially if he'd some inkling that it was coming... He'd have you face-down in the gutter in seconds.

So, it's a heist mission, then. To quote Carl Johnson: 'Here we go again...'

And as seems to be the norm for anything involving John Constantine, things get messier and messier! At least Doctor Mist will be the one taking all the heat if things go tits-up. On the other hand, all this seems to hinge on the Demon Constantine's testimony. Even if he has no reason to lie, could he really help himself? I guess we'll find out soon enough...

28. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Phantom 2040 isn't old. It was just a few years ago.

29. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

I feel like the other responses have told you "what" John Quinn is instead of "who" he is. John Quinn is the current Dr Fate who took over after Paragon Paul killed Nabu and shoved the power of a Lord of Chaos and Lord of Order into John Constantine who promptly vanished which is why Paul has been looking all over for him. When The Team and Paul first went back to the Tower of Fate they met Quinn and Paul thought it was Constantine but Quinn told him he wasn't Constantine. Obviously we now know it was a double bluff by Zoat as having a guy named John become Dr Fate right after John Constantine disappeared was a very obvious link.

30. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

[​IMG]