1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though he did enable them to kill them.

I don't think he exists in this universe.

2. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

I assume he is just using universe sixteen knowledge or maybe he connected to the Oa data base somehow.

3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

They are going to get a nasty shock re their respective power levels compared to Paul.

Commander Scott: green boxing glove

Paul: "And you get a singularity to the face! And you get a singularity to the face!"

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    It seemed superfluous.

5. Vice Xarno

Vice Xarno Versed in the lewd.

make sense that OL would likely set it so that it doesn't do it to often. Like imagine if that notification popped up while he was on OA.

6. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Okay... Why is Paul so sure that local Dominators and Khundians have so closely similar traditions to the ones in 16? And what's Blue Lantern Alan's opinion on participating in a random military operation for some strange parallel in which the JS is lead by an alternate version of him who lived through different experiences that caused him to have different attitudes?

7. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

Wasn’t this parallel’s Superman already mentioned though something about an affair?

Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  8. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Eh, no? Only affair mentioned was about Black Canary the First and Starman, the first as well, I believe. Which supposedly is something that happened in the comics ss well.

9. Mr Zoat

Because their behaviour is complete in line with Dominion 16.

He's less than completely correct.
    Pretty fine with it. He fought against the Sheeda, and Commander Scott has made it clear that they're just hitting what would normally be Geneva Convention compliant targets.

10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No, that is Power Company's Skyrocket. Rather similar characters.

A former Naval officer, she inherited her parent's invention, the argo harness.

The Argo Harness is like Rocket's inertia belt but has an advantage over it- No only can the argo harness absorb kinetic energy, protecting her and allowing her to fly, but it can absorb pretty much any kind of energy thrown at it, and even convert one form of energy into another.

So absorbing a punch from WW she could use that kinetic energy to fly, or she could convert it into electricity, heat, or light if that would be advantageous.

Would be worth a scan, if Paul thinks it worth the possible etiquette breach.

Justice League Year one, although since that one had Blue Beetle 1 lose his arms I'm not sure it was actually in New Earth continuity.

Dinah had a tough time- Being both very close to her mother, and all but worshipping the Justice Society, it knocked both of them off of pedestals.

11. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Not yet. But - given this is (mostly) Aligned continuity, they will.

The funny thing is, the new 'Autobot High Council' will be entirely comprised of disguised Decepticons...

The Transformers continuity Mr Zoat is using here is mostly Aligned (post-Predacons Rising, pre-Robots in Disguise). There's "fillage" from the IDW2005 comics continuity in places where it makes sense.

12. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Now I'm wondering what Green Arrow's thoughts will be, since unlike Alan he didn't fight in a World War.

Cuchulin and kerleth like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

It's also in Starman.

14. Smartkittykhan

Smartkittykhan Making the rounds.

He probably thinks the JSI is bit jackboot-y.

15. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Starting bets on whose gonna fuck up this mission worse Paul or Constantine?

Caerwen and Cuchulin like this.
  16. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

We don't know what Earth-16's Kory (I swear, I will die on the hill of "it's spelled with a Y like it was before Flashpoint"!) looks like, actually. YJverse isn't the Toon Titansverse, after all, so we can't say she's built like the Murakanime version. That said, the DCAMU version seen since Teen Titans vs. Justice League is built (and characterized) a lot like the comics Kory, so I suspect that Earth-16 Kory is probably pretty expansive in her own right. Also, if you check the link Zoat included, you'll get to see that, yes, she is wearing the slingkini outfit in JSI colors. (It looks better than I expected--it's hard to find a blue that works with that skintone.)

Also, I'd tease you about the "pretty, pretty ass" comment, but... well, I kinda have a crush on her, too, so... just remember, though, what TitansTower.com used to say about her: "Be careful if you're dating her. Girl's got a track record. And if she starts talking marriage, get the X'Hal out!" (In reference to how many times her relationships have ended badly... for her partner. With one boyfriend killed to get at her, one husband killed in the destruction of her planet, her relationship with Dick ending in a way that wasn't exactly good for her, and one wedding destroyed and priest murdered by a close friend and teammate returned from the grave and turned evil...)

Nope, this is the briefing!

I'd certainly say, though, that Commander Scott is being very much a Reasonable Authority Figure in this case. He's looking to hit valid military targets, and setting Rules of Engagement that are entirely in keeping with the Geneva Convention. This operation is an entirely moral one (at least so far as any combat operation can be considered entirely moral), and he's picked a force that is likely to actually obey those RoEs, at least within reason--there will be, of course, collateral damage, and possibly some civilian casualties from getting caught in the crossfire/stray rounds, but I suspect they're well-behaved enough not to deliberately target civilians or civilian property.

17. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, the JSI supers seemed pretty reasonable in the comics all and all, although Interceptor really needs to switch to decaf.

The issues were more institutional, like their grunts on the ground definitely include people who never grew out of being their high school's "obligatory psychotic jackass" to quote Veronica Mars.

Barry left after he heard two JSI grunts all but giggle in glee at the thought of frying Faust's brain like an egg with the JSI brain scrambler for wizards, and I assume psychics and other requires concentration types.

As a matter of course I think it's a bad idea to trust a brain scrambler to someone who thinks its funny to leave someone a drooling vegetable.

Jaron, Vorian, Prince Charon and 5 others like this.
  18. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Eh I am gonna be honest? I don't have any interest in this arc. Not only is the Dominion again, but there is no characters I am interested in in this alt universe.

Silveraith and Jaron like this.
  19. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

They already know -- "all functions unlocked" has a lot of significant implications.

Vorian, Ngamer11, Lord Ernest and 2 others like this.
  20. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

taken
    Luckily OL and co. have a particular set of skillz. Skillz that makes them a nightmare for societies like yours.

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I hope so... It's way past time LePaul just assuming everything is the same between universes bites him in the ass.

23. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Since the new and improved Constantine is both Order and Chaos...... He's actually one of the heaviest hitters around right?

Will he get a moment to show off?
    Like plucking an entire planet and dragging it into hell?

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He might be powerful, but he may lack experience with his new powers.

Though he could potentially end the spell affecting this reality.

25. Threadmarks: Feasibility Study (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

21st November 2012
    10:22 GMT -5

"You're going to what?"

It's interesting to see someone other than Guy whose ring shimmers like that. Guy's ring actually stopped doing it after he merged with Ion; these days it sort of iridesces but not in the same way.

Commander Scott's posture doesn't change as the much younger Sector Lantern squares up to him. No defensive arm crossing, no clenching of hands into fists and no twitching to betray nerves. I don't know how good this Jordan is; our Jordan wasn't at anything like my current level when we first met, and that's with him dealing with Earth-brand madness for most of his career. He's perfectly capable now, if not quite as good as Guy or me, but this Jordan hasn't had that.

"We're going to retaliate against the Dominion. And I've made it perfectly clear that if your Lantern Corps couldn't stop them coming here then you've got no grounds for stopping us."

"That's not how it works. Two wrongs-."

"Enslaving people is wrong. Killing mass-murdering slavers is right."

Jordan takes a breath to calm down, taking a look at Alan and I as he does so.

"And what, you dusted off the old Injustice League power rings? I didn't think you still had those. Is he supposed to be Catwoman or Chronos?"

"I'm the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps, parallel universe sixteen. My ring was made by Maltus-resident Controller Hinon Hee Hannanan." I raise my left hand slightly. "This one, anyway. This-" I raise my ring hand to show off Larfleeze's ring. "-one was made by a group effort back when the maltusians were experimenting with power ring technology. I think it was mostly Krona."

Commander Scott flashes me a mild frown.

"'Illustres'?"

"When Green Lanterns are first recruited, they go to Oa for training. Once they graduate, they return to their Sectors as Sector Lanterns. If they serve well they may eventually be considered for promotion to the Honour Guard, an elite group of Lanterns based on Oa who serve as a high powered strike force. The leader or leaders of the Honour Guard have the title 'Illustres', and are probably the most powerful combat Lanterns in the Corps. Above them is the Clarissi, who runs the Corps day to day." I raise my eyebrows at Jordan. "I assume that the Green Lantern Corps in this parallel uses the same system?"

He nods, frowning. "You think you're that good?"

"I've destroyed war fleets, taken on multiple Reach scarabs in combat and I once span the moon around on its axis. So yes, I do think I'm that good."

A quiet exhalation through his nose, then he turns to Alan. "And, what, you're the Illustres of the 'Blue Lantern Corps'?"

"No, I'm the only guy with a blue ring, far as I know." Jordan narrows his eyes as he hears Alan talk. "Paul had to talk a Qwardian Weaponer into making it."

"You're-. Him, from a parallel universe? Oh great. And you got that ring from a Weaponer?"

"Same one as made Sinestro's ring, in point of fact. Apparently, turning something as uplifting as hope into a weapon is something he feels proud of."

"Figures." He returns his attention to Commander Scott. "So why am I here?"

"For one, there's a chance that the Dominion might spot what we're doing and send a fleet to Earth. If that happens, our forces will be ready, but it would help to have someone around who can hit targets in orbit."

"Just to protect Earth?"

"If that's all you're prepared to do, yes. I'd prefer it if you and whatever Lantern is supposed to be dealing with the Dominion joined in with the attack. Orange Lantern and Blue Lantern are transporting our strike teams, and having you along would increase our carry capacity. In return-"

"This better be good."

"-I can offer you a cooperation agreement. You'll be able to come to Earth in costume in pursuit of alien criminals. We'll expect you to work with us, because you are working for an alien government, but we will extend you the same cooperation an Earth police force would an officer from another country in hot pursuit of a criminal."

"That's less cooperation than I get from every other planet in this Sector."

"It's all you'll get from us."

"You'd still take them into custody and expect me to apply to extradite them."

"Yes."

"Could I just visit Earth?"

"As long as you understand that you don't have any official standing or status outside of our agreement, and keep us informed of your movements, yes." A very small and unfriendly smile appears on Commander Scott's mouth. "Missing Carol that much, Jordan?"

Jordan looks away for a moment, but-. Ring, access-. No, don't, they haven't given me permission and I shouldn't take advantage. Neither Commander Scott or Interceptor have facial coverings, and most of the superheroes in the meeting had bare faces as well. Do secret identities just not exist here?

"Fine. There's no Lantern assigned to the Dominion, but I can fly there and back. I should make sure that you people don’t go crazy when you get there."

"I've already given orders to focus on military targets. Don't you need to check this with your masters on Oa?"

"No, this is something I can decide for myself. The Guardians don't micromanage Lanterns. Most Green Lanterns hand over their prisoners to the local authorities once they've defeated them."

"Which completely undermines their authority."

Yeah, it does. I'm sure that I've-.

Jordan stares at me. "Something you want to say, 'Illustres'?"

"It's just that I've had this discussion back home. Seeing the Justice Society International implement one of my suggested solutions is.. fascinating for me. I really-" I turn to Commander Scott. "-want to have a look at your SOP bible once we're done."

He smiles faintly. "That's gotta be the first time anyone's ever said that."

"Wait." Jordan narrows his eyes. "You wanna start something like this in your reality?"

"I want to use the example the JSI has set to advise the League on how to expand. At the moment they're not.. very organised. Extremely capable as individuals, but there's no real philosophy on what the organisation is supposed to be in its… Final form. It impedes their effectiveness."

Alan snorts. "If that's how you feel, you could always try joining up."

"I suspect that I'd get outvoted and just make myself part of the problem. But if the League sees someone actually do what I've been talking about, that might change things. Anyway, Jordan, do you want to come with us when we do our reconnaissance flight, or do you want to wait here?"

"I think I'd better come with you."

"Alright." I raise my right hand to my forehead. "Try to keep up."

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  26. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Okay, I love the calm confidence OL usually shows, but him boasting to Hal really made this update for me.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"universe"

"can fight"

"to say"

28. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

No wonder he loves Jade so much. Competency is his kink.

29. xSieg

xSieg Making the rounds.

Gods, that Injustice League panel sure threw me back. That's the storyline where they use their rings to switch bodies with the JLA, discover their identities and Hal has to hit them with a supercharged Central Power Battery laser to reverse it, right?

30. Lothlo

Lothlo Not too sore, are you?

Paul showcasing his abilities to Jordan and demonstrating once again how much difference there is between both of them
    -Big boxing gloves? I prefer Railgun with methamaterial amunition

- Nono! Constructs dont need to come from the ring!