1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

That seemed more a result of opportunity and resources. Energon and materials would have been in short supply on the ruined Cybertron, after all. Shockwave may well have planned to forge a whole army of Cybertronian animals, but circumstances prevented it...

The path of science has ever been plagued by explosive mishaps... :D Well, if you're doing it right, anyway.

At this rate, though, short of divine intervention, transplanting his brain into a Minicon or acquiring a Master-brace, it's a pipe dream...

Aw, you sweet-talker. Pull, you know just the right thing to say to brighten a femme's mood...

Indeed, that's what gives life meaning...

Girl, just imagine all the loot laying around.

That's the spirit! Loot, pillage and plunder!

At least he wasn't inside when she started transforming. That's especially disconcerting, when every panel around you stars moving. Including the seat.

And that's no idle joke. Titans are big. Big enough to use combiners as action figures.

...I mean, Metroplex is probably still laying around on the surface somewhere...

...Slag. :confused: Someone else had the same idea about raiding Shockwave's lab, it seems.

Ouch. That's no small wound, either, especially out here in the wastelands.

:eek: ...Double Slag. Indulging in a bit of home defence, I see.

Yeah, not the best sight to go dark on.

He could kill her before she could send the trigger impulse to her guns... But hasn't. Interesting...

Ah, yes. That's right. Shockwave wasn't always an amoral scientist... He used to be part of the Council, before someone got his chassis censured.

Ooh, appealing to Shockwave's logic? There's a professional challenge.

...Bot's got a point. All over, in fact, but in this case, he's technically right.

Wrong! That's a goal, not the cause.

Oh, he plans to.

And a nastier one, yes.

Oh? :sneaky: What high council are you fighting now? Where are they based? Who are it's members? Wouldn't they be prime targets for assassination?

And no-one ever replaced them, did they?

Mostly because there's no easy way to produce new cybertronians. Sure, Cold Construction could work, if you had the materials... But brains are complex.

I know what you meant, but now I'm picturing his optical orb literally rotating in place. :V

And what about afterwards? Would you have reversed the software maiming you suffered, when the Decepticons finally accomplished their goals?

Just one problem with that...

Pull uses Logic Bomb! It's super-effective! Shockwave is Confused!

In other words, Shockwave... You've been doing exactly what the Council wanted you to do all along. No rebellion here, merely orders so deep-seated you didn't even know they were there...

Well done, Pull. :cool: Captain James Tiberius Kirk would applaud your skill.

...Wow, that'll be awkward. Patching up the very wound you caused...

<Knocks on ground> Hey, Primus, you got a second?

Optimus: ...Give me a moment, I need to reboot my audio sensors.

Well, that's one way to seek out a skilled practitioner of the ancient art of mind-fucking. Man, the Autobots are going to plotz when they hear what happened, and who Pull needs that information for. I suspect Ratchet will be very interested in this if he hears of it, and I suspect the Autobots would call him in on something like this.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  2. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

I find both of these statements funny, because if this is the continuity I think it is, then both statements are true, considering the final resting place of Rung.

Could holomatter avatars count for Slipstream's purposes?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    ChestBurster, Wivk, Minars90 and 6 others like this.
  3. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm loving these Transformers bits. This Paul has to go all in on talk-fu because he can't fight on the level of giant guerrilla robots; and that makes it a ton of fun to read.

4. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Damn, if Pull can... pull this stunt, that's mad respectable (sorry).

It would essentially fix Shockwave and make him an ally, and a great ally at that. I've always loved his design, a scientist with a BFG, what's not to like?

ChestBurster, Minars90, mauke and 5 others like this.
  5. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Talk-fu is always fun. And it's certainly a way for Paul to get what he wants

ChestBurster, Minars90, mauke and 5 others like this.
  6. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

This was... wow... Did not see this one coming. This Paul is amazing to be able to talk Shockwave into changing in such a way and from a certain point of view he is right, the Autobots are Decepticons since they wanted an end to the injustices of the old high council as well. I'm pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of elements of the IDW comics like Shockwave being a senator and having once been more compassionate but I feel I must point out that at this point Optimus absorbed the Allspark to keep it safe from Unicron and then returned it along with the matrix to the core while sacrificing himself to do it. So unless Paul found an alternate prison to hold Unicron's essence or container for the Allspark or any reason really to ensure that Optimus doesn't have to make this sacrifice it doesn't add up as Optimus would be in no position to use the Matrix to help Shockwave. Despite the inconsistencies, I really like this chapter and hope to see where this is going, maybe Paul and Slipstream agree to help bring word to the other Cybertronian colonies.

7. Tyrantviewer

Tyrantviewer lord of all I survey

To be fair to Shockwave- he was good at fighting the high council, the programing didn't stop him from joining the cause to fight against them, indeed it made him more likely too by removing the empathy and long term thinking that had him oppose them in the senate. The High council didn't think that it would be logical to oppose them.

I like that angle, a villianous group modifying a being or creating one, that turns on them because the way they made them to think leads them to consider the villians that created them the enemy. Dominic Deegan had it in its backstory, a civilization created a magical being of law and order, whose first act was to depose their leader, because its creation involved sacrificing many of the leader's own citizens.

So the fact that Shockwave logically came to the conclusion to fight the council, even after what they did to him, was evidence against their alterations impairing his judgement, since stoping his opposition to them would have been the point. Its only after things have changed so much that looking back on his decisions compared to the overall goals, that the flaws in his thinking are clear enough, despite his mental alterations.

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Unless you're saying that "to transformer" describes what Cybertronians can do, "transforms".

9. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Does anyone remember the Alt-Jade that got adopted by Alan? I can't find it anywhere.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Darn it! Forgot that happened.

Assume that the next line is him saying 'Optimus not here? ... What?', because he's got no way to know that's what happened.
    I can't see them doing that. Honestly, they're more likely to try to persuade any transformer who can get their head around the idea that the Great War is over to come to Earth instead. There's still plenty of transformer stuff on Earth and it's not like Cyberton has good memories for most of them.
    Thank you, corrected.

ChestBurster, Wivk, BR549 and 7 others like this.
  12. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

According to this it's possible for Mr Zoat to ask him to be banned but:
    So I don't know what level Vaermina has to reach for that to qualify.
    Ironically since most people have him on ignore (including Mr Zoat) and don't respond to him, most of it is being limited to him doing his daily post basically heckling (and sometimes someone falling for it)
    On top of that since Mr Zoat is the one who has to ask, and he has him on ignore for years, it's not like he has any examples to point to the mods without removing him from his ignore list and going through past posts... which would defeat the whole point of having him on his ignore list

13. Mr Zoat

I really don't like the idea of banning people. But free speech is balanced by free listening, or in this case free ignoring.
    Follow of course by 'We needed that!'

ChestBurster, kerleth, BR549 and 9 others like this.
  14. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

In my own experience as a forum moderator, being ejected from a thread should be a punishment for being persistently disruptive. I don't believe Vae has risen to that level, as his posts and the discussions they generate are on-topic for the thread, and tempers aren't getting inflamed.

kerleth, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  15. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

True enough, it's not entirely a case of the High Council being geniuses, since they... really weren't.

Holy shit, now *there's* a blast from the past. I remember reading that waaaaay back when. I remember it being great, but that could just be nostalgia glasses.

Xmaster3000 and Minars90 like this.
  16. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Now there’s a series I haven’t heard named in a while. Maybe I should catch up on the sequel. I really like Dominic Deegan, warts and all.

ChestBurster likes this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Does anyone remember an old Justice League comic where just about every villain ended up with a power ring? It was well before the modern War of Light thing, and contained the first ever appearance of a blue power ring.

18. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Could someone explain the relevance of what just happened? My Transformer lore is weak.

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I do believe you are referencing Silver Age 80 page giant number 1, in which the villains steal a kryptonian crystal, the absorbascan, and the green lantern central power battery, and with the virtual omniscience of the absorbascan learn how to use the kryptonian crystal as a prism to give them all power rings.

Eventually defeated by the justice league using the hero dial, becoming heroes with new powers and abilities so the villains' absorbascan knowledge couldn't allow them to act like an arcade gamer who can beat the game by memorizing all the patterns.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  20. Mr Zoat

Megatron deciding to stop fighting doesn't actually end the Great War. Shockwave, Starscream and probably others can rally Decepticons and keep fighting, particularly now synthetic energon can be created to fuel the war. This version of the SI took advantage of the fact that Shockwave is profoundly logical to convince him not to.
    Thank you! That's the one.

21. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

He's going to have to figure out another way to help Shockwave, though Optimus does return in Robots In Disguise I assume you won't be doing that.

Hmm, good point.

22. Threadmarks: Feasibility Study (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

21st November 2012
    10:14 GMT -5

I grin as I spot the latest addition to the room.

"Princess Koriand'r! Good to see you!"

Glowing green eyes and a slightly puzzled explanation confront me, her head wreathed in the gloriously frizzy eighties hair that I saw on the version of her on Earth with the Gold Lantern Corps.

"I am sorry, I do not think that we have met."

"Parallel universe." I hold up my left fist, knuckles and ring facing her. "When I founded the Orange Lantern Corps, our Koriand'r was one of the first wave of recruits."

I generate construct images of her and Komand'r. Koriand'r looks at her own image with curiosity, while-.

"You recruited Blackfire?"

While the local Starman regards me with incredulity.

"I encountered her before she went-" I dismiss the constructs. "-full evil. Our Vega's a much better place with certain people no longer in it."

Koriand'r smiles. "The Citadel is defeated?"

"I killed the First myself, and destroying the Citadel Complex and fleet was a team effort. The Spider Guild sept sued for peace after their leaders were killed, Karna now belongs to the Karnans and the Psion's Wombworld was scoured from orbit."

"Heh." The masked Atom Smasher nods approvingly. "Thorough."

"It's not very often you encounter a species with literally no redeeming moral characteristics. Vega was unlucky enough to have two. Past tense. I-."

Interceptor drops down next to me, having been talking to the platoon of cyborg soldiers on the other side of the room. Most of them are humanoid, but a few have more unusual shapes. Those ones appear to have… Clouded or suppressed emotional responses. Are they condemned criminals? Or do the people with weaker emotions just cope with it best?

"That's everyone. We're ready."

I nod, then turn back to Koriand'r. "No time right now, but if you're interested in a power ring, come and see me after the mission."

"Very… Well?"

I float over to the stage where Alan and Commander Scott are ready to begin. Just.. one addition.

Ring, call Green Two Eight One Four. Both of them.

Error. Only one connection available.

Ah, the old 'one-Lantern-and-however-many-deputies' system. I remember a comic where Jordan got knocked out slipping on a bar of soap and… Stewart? Got subbed in with no notice and little training. Terrible system.

He'll do.

Jordan's face appears. I suppose that not having to deal with Earth's nonsense means that he's a little likelier to live to an old age.

"Green Lantern Two Eight One Four. Commander Scott."

Commander Scott turns to the glowing face of the man he chased off Earth.

"Green Lantern, on this one occasion, I am inviting you to Earth. My location."

"Why? You hate me."

"No, I just have no respect for the people you work for. You can quit at any time and come home without us charging you with anything. But this is an off-Earth operation-"

A few ears in the audience metaphorically prick up.

"-so you are actually relevant in your current role."

"Where?"

"Metropolis. My current location."

"Okay, but-. 'Off-world'? You're going to-!"

"Come or don't." His eyes dart to me, and I cut the connection. He nods, then walks over to the podium. "As I know you all just heard, we've just had an opportunity handed to us. Our parallel universe friends here both have power rings with all their functions unlocked. That means they can both fly faster than light with passengers."

He gives that a moment to sink in, then makes it clear in case anyone is a little slow.

"That means that we can finally hit the Dominion."

There's an excited exhalation, eyes opening wide with feverish desire. I've seen the same thing in the faces of thousands of people where the Reach are concerned. People from Earth 16 barely know that the Dominion exists, and that's from my reports. Here, they appear to be global hate figures.

"While the Justice Society International is primarily charged with protecting Earth…" He smiles. "I'd be lying if I said we didn't hope an opportunity like this would come along at some point."

"It's been fifteen years. There isn't much chance that the people they took are still alive. But the dominators who took them almost certainly are, and we could get lucky. Orange Lantern-" I raise my right hand and then lower it. "-and Blue Lantern-" Alan waves. "-will take our taskforce to a world on the border of Dominion space, then perform reconnaissance operations in an attempt to locate exactly where our people were taken and by whom. Once we have that information, we will be attacking in force with the aim of killing everyone involved in the attack on Earth."

Several nods.

"Orange Lantern has provided briefing documents on Dominion society." JSI staffers begin walking around the room, handing out binders to the attendees who aren't able to download them into their brains. "And it turns out that despite the impression they gave us, most of their population aren't involved in raiding other worlds for test subjects. Turns out that it's the exclusive purview of their rulers, the ones we all remember from their broadcasts with the big red circles on their foreheads. Those are all considered acceptable targets, as is anyone with a gun or any kind of super power. The rest are generally slightly less dangerous than humans are, and we are not going to punish them for the deeds of their overlords."

The nods to that comment are more sombre, but he chose well when he assembled this gathering. None of them are interested in taking it out on the entire population. I suppose that's what separates superheroes from...

Alright, even I thought 'me' there. But dominators aren't spiders or reacheans. Spiders consider it normal and pleasurable to drug their sophont victims awake as they eat them. Reacheans love lording it over alien slaves. Most dominators don't even have contact with aliens.

"Any humans we locate will be evacuated and put through a thorough decontamination session before being returned to Earth. In the event that we manage to kill all of our targets and complete the rescue, I will authorise infrastructure destruction missions as I deem appropriate. It probably won't be practical for us to take away their ability to wage interstellar war, but I'll feel much happier with them keeping what's left of their fleet home to ward off their neighbours."

The platoon commander of the cyborgs raises his hand and gets a nod.

"Could we capture their ships, sir?"

"While our new Lantern allies can read any spoken or written language, the rest of us don’t have that ability. Learning how to fly Dominion ships isn't something we can do on the fly, and they have a completely different technology base to us. Time allowing, we might be able to capture examples of their equipment, but it's a low priority task."

The cyborg nods.

"Once that mission is completed, and everyone is fully recovered, we will plan our assault on the khundians."

I raise my right hand. "Commander?"

He glances back and nods.

"Khundian marriage law says that anyone who defeats a khundian man inherits his wife or wives. I'm happy to help with the mission, but I'm going to need someone who's single to punch me out afterwards."

The wave of laughter is punctuated by the figure in green appearing at the back of the room.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You may want to try and get her a blue ring.

You may also want to get your Koriand'r a blue ring.

"our people were taken"

24. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

Paul making a joke before going to war with *another* species. To quote Paradox: "Levity and humor. Excellent. Get it out of your system now."

25. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

He's trying but the price is high

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, at least they have the Titans, even if it isn't quite the familiar roster. For those confused, the two in the centre are Tomorrow Woman and Triumph, by the way. I also recognise Liberty Belle II and Hourman II on the right. Crouching guy is Brain Wave II, but the girl in back is new to me, unless she's Rocket?

Yes, Earth 16's Kori is far less... Expansive. I expect she's also wearing the sling-bikini-esque outfit, in JSI colours. :p

Don't forget to mention that they didn't suffer the energy experiments this Kori (or the Renegade's) did, so no starbolts.

Yes, she's very covetous of a great many things. That makes her an excellent Lantern.

I'll bet that's a vicious smile, too. She's got no love for the leatherheads.

Well, OL can't really take personal credit for the Psions, but the rest...

Or a different cybernetic process. Not all DC cyborgs are crafted equal, after all.

Man, promising power rings to girls who aren't even from your universe? Better warn her to be careful, or she'll get Larfleeze on her pretty, pretty ass.

Yeah, I don't think she'll be taking the offer. Not from the weird orange guy.

Ah, the old days. Not quite Pre Crisis, but still pre-War of Light.

...Man, that must have been a confusing day for John.

Heh, playing the communications officer. I suppose with Alan's ring not being Green Lantern Corps-spec, it's necessary.

...Oooh, that suggests all kinds of fridge horror. He's basically been living in exile since he was recruited, huh?

Which plants it square in the Corps' jurisdiction. And it'll make their mission more legitimate if they have the OG space cops on their side.

Oh, did Alan not brief anyone in the process of gathering this little operation together?

I'll bet the Dominator invasion was a big black mark on his record, if he was around then.

And our Alan's ring is probably picking up a huge surge in hope.

Knowing the shit they got up to, I'm not surprised. Earth 16 probably has the same kind of hate for the Sheeda.

Now, let's hope non of them get carried away. Especially if any of them lost family in the invasion.

The joy of a highly-stratified caste-based society. And those big red circles? Also great targets.

Though I don't doubt some will be tempted to go a little too far. Especially those with a berserker-rage type thing going on.

Sadly, knowing the Dominators, they'll probably consider this unprovoked aggression, or some rubbish. :rolleyes: Because lesser species aren't developed enough to hold grudges, of course!

So, no looting. Minimal pillaging, and sure as hell, no rape.

Do keep in mind that OL's team can't hang around forever, Commander Scott.

Ah, a matter of cultural differences?

Ah, a moment of levity to ease the pre-deployment tensions. Smart, OL.

Well, Commander Scott wasting no time taking advantage of OL's offer. Let's hope he's not poking a hornet's nest, though. I don't see the Dominators, or any allies of theirs, taking this strike laying down. And to some degree, it might be like the MCU Avenger's formation, signalling that 'Earth is ready for a higher form of war.' We'll have to see how this all plays out, then.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Where did LePaul get societal information on this Universes Dominion?

TopHatWearer likes this.
  28. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

”that humans” -> “than humans”

No sign of any Guy Gardners. I figured one who had embraced his alien heritage would show up. Perhaps he is still a teenager here or something. No Lords of Order either.

Does anyone know who was stolen away during the comic arc? Superman, Wonder Woman, any Flash…?

29. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

No "willpower detected" notification?

30. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

This parallel is based on an Event, during which Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were removed from the continuity of the world. As such, I don't think they exist or existed here, their symbolic 'Trinity' taken over by other superheroes.

As I said, I can't recall it that well, but I imagine other heroes directly inspired by them don't exist or are modified, like Interceptor. So no Robins, or Steel, or Furies, or Donnas?