1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Jay Garrick went missing after a mission. In Trinity, that was because he was massively disillusioned with the JSI.
    Ted Knight.

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

This is extraordinarily stupid of LePaul given he doesn't know the tech level of this Universes Dominators.

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

On the other hand, they have no idea on what an Orange Lantern can do, and Paul can do massive damage if he really wants to.

4. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

So, the solution is to actually talk to him, and ask for help. Communicate and be proactive. Guess what many comicbook supers are bad at?

(I mean, they've done that on occasion, but apparently not often enough, even after he repeatedly showed how bad an idea it is to just leave him to his own devices all the time - e.g. the recent incident that started with Paul finding out that Zeus had been unusually assholish to Diana, eventually resulting in Hephestean. There was a cool scene in there that I've forgotten which posts it's in where Paul reminds a couple of people on the JL how dangerous he is and that they really do need to talk to him ASAP.)

5. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Ahh, procedures everywhere. Gotta love bureaucracy, though of course wanting a readout could also be helpful for all of those who weren't right in front of Paul. Only good reason to stop him is if Commander Alan still isn't trusting Paul, which fair enough.

But hey, Jade and Obsidian! I can't wait to see them.

The HTML seems messed up here, unless that was the point.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Unless this website actually has a proper cough code that I don't know about, yes.

7. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

Lets go with "he is a nerd and just said pseudo-BBCode out loud".
    I mean, I did read that, but it is choke-full of werewolf cocks. Like pre-purge tumblr.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  8. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

I'm more surprised how he managed to speak in HTML tags.

9. Mr Zoat

There, the cough is outside of the speechmarks.

10. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Google isn't showing me a furry Catwoman or a Felis Serum.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  11. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

What are the Heywood Corps? I can't seem to Google any results for that.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

A cyborg force of soldiers that work for the JSI.

ChestBurster likes this.
  13. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

Given from an operational standpoint, the above fucks with his credibility and consequently his efficiency given that others seem to not take him as seriously, you would think OL would give some thought to managing his reputation better.

And perhaps trying to remedy the wrong impressions others have which serve as obstacles to him actually accomplishing his aims on a broader scale.

ChestBurster likes this.
  14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No, Jay was right by Carter and Alan's side as the leaders of the JSA, it was Barry who left the JSI to form the Justice League.

Unless I was misunderstanding you and that's what you have set up here, in which case it is of course author's prerogative.

I just reread the series. I don't think I had read the issues with the Amazo-Sentinels, which explains why I didn't remember them.

I'm not surprised, it was only a brief appearance in an alternate timeline.

Her head looked like that old mask pre-crisis Catwoman wore, she wasn't the traditional catgirl but basically a cat head on a human shaped body.

[​IMG]

Her flesh and blood cat head was smaller, and she wore her now ubiquitous spy catsuit, but that gives you the general idea.

Catman looked like a shirtless guy with long hair and fingernail claws, so apparently her felis serum runs from "Do you want to bath by licking yourself and chase down small dogs for lunch" to "You want superhuman senses and ten knives at the end of your hands."

Her MO was apparently to dose people with the felis serum that turned them into animal minded pantheroids and let mayhem ensue. Maybe she had the ability to command them, I'm not sure.

Heywood is the name of Commander Steel, the cyborg member of the Justice Society.

Oddly enough Heywood was like the 6 million dollar man, looking completely human while being stronger, tougher, and faster.

The JSI's heywood corps? Well if Victor Stone were a member of the Heywood corps, he'd be the wussy who only allowed the JSI to cut off all all four of his limbs and half his face.

15. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

The screw-ups in continuity bug me more. Turns every storyline into a fanfic of the original. For fuck's sake, write down a fucking summary for the next guy yanno?

In most versions they still have/can build spaceships and/or have bots that can make it into space under their own power. If you can get into space, building huge solar arrays and whatnot is something that can be done with our tech level, never mind cybertronian level.

Energy from a nuclear power plant can be converted into electricity for electric cars easily, or even used to maufacture hydrocarbon fuels for conventional cars with a bit more work.

In most continuities, cybetronians are not shy about blowing up critical infrastructure to deny it to the enemy. That would certainly cause energy issues as your power plant doesn't make much power as a pile of rubble. Half of the G1 cartoon episodes had them finding something useful and then blowing it to hell so the cons wouldn't get it. I dunno if that's a result of being at war for millions of years or a quirk of being so good at building stuff that they never developed an aversion to destroying it.

Usually it's the war rather than overpopulation that screws things up. Relying on something manufactured isn't a problem when just about your whole planet is your manufacturing base. During the "golden age" they were at least a 1.0 on the Kardeshev scale, or possibly a 1.5 including their space-based assets.

In the Prime series, I think energon could act as a catalyst and make more of itself from surrounding materials if buried in a suitable mineral deposit. Takes a very long time to do it though and the deposits on Earth were the result of having been seeded thousands of years ago. Probably at the same time they were using it as a place to hide those advanced cybertronian artifacts with the seeding activity as a cover.

IIRC maximals and predacons could actually live on organic food when they had to. I don't know if that was a general thing or something that was added when their stasis pods reconfigured them for functioning on primitive Earth.
    I don't know if their vulnerability to large amounts of energon radiation was a side effect of their energy efficiency, but I suspect that's the case.

ChestBurster and Frank Iannetta like this.
  16. Stsword

I do believe that part of the problem is later writers just not giving a shit.

The Kate Spencer manhunter series established that the Manhunters were the result of the US government creating a supersoldier project with manhunter tech. I find it hard to believe that neither the writer nor the editor remembered the entire Millenium event which established the Manhunter cult worked for the alien manhunters and were responsible for the Manhunter superheroes.

I'm pretty sure that Morrison knew full well what he was doing when he did that "one true darkseid" horseshit that claims that Kirby never actually wrote a story that actually included Darkseid.

I think there is a natural tendency in writer types to be like Zoat looking at Young Justice and say "I can do better."

Unfortunately, when editors don't do their jobs and let every new writer do this it quickly becomes nonsensical gobblegook, and sometimes the writer going "Eh, I can do better" is in fact mistaken.

17. Mr Zoat

Both of you, go and read Trinity.
    No, you're right, I was misremembering.
    I don't think he is. In the one panel he features in, his cybernetics look quite different to theirs.

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Well... Yes...

But it would suck for LePaul a lot more if he teleported in and then his ring randomly exploded because the Dominators here have Power Ring exploding tech.

19. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

...The only Trinity I know is that woman from The Matrix.
    I am going to need more information to Google that.

Caerwen likes this.
  20. Stsword

Trinity 2008 is the storyline that inspired this storyline, 52 issues long. Tarot magic is used to remove WW, Supes, and Bats from DC history which somehow causes the JSA to never disband despite that happening before WW, Supes, or Bats were even born.

I was just using him as a hypothetical. The only other famous DC cyborgs I can think of are full conversion cyborgs like Metallo and Robotman.

I thought of using Star Trek's Borg since the typical Heywood corps member seems to have less flesh than a Borg drone, but I decided against it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  21. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Trinity

I think I read it but can't for the life of me remember much of it, besides the "divine" designs of WW, Bats and Supes, and that there was an Enigma with half a mask? I think he might have been the Enigma from the Crime Sindicate universe turned bad or something?

All that period leading to and including Final Crisis was a mess to me and I think I might have supressed those memories.

AngelicKnight. likes this.
  22. Stsword

I wouldn't say bad, per se, but desperate.

His ex wife was dead, his face was burnt, and his daughter was left as a literal ghost in the machine.

It was pointed out to him that returning his daughter to life in an evil universe was no blessing, and that she'd always be an alien in another universe.

So he was hoping to gain the godlike powers to go back to the Crime Syndicate universe and make it a better place. A place where his daughter could be happy, where people wouldn't have to be afraid.

And even then working with the likes of the Joker or Morgaine Le Fay left a very bad taste in his mouth.

Paul will probably see him as Grade A prime Orange Lantern material.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He met a him when he went to the Crime Syndicate universe and he seemed determined to defeat the Syndicate for good.

He may not be pleased to see Paul again.

24. Threadmarks: Transformed (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

16th October 2013
    Probably A Few Hours Later

"At least we don't have to worry about traps scratching your decals."

Slipstream looks around at the blasted hole that was once Shockwave's roof. Whatever the Autobots did to repair Cybertron has had next to no effect on the heavily damaged workshop that was once home to the greatest mind in the Decepticon cause. She'd assumed that when he turned up on Earth it was because he'd finished whatever he was doing on Cybertron and had decided that it was time to put his work to use. The fact that the Decepticons started using Predacons a little while later gave credence to the idea.

That he gave up on Cybertron because someone wrecked his workshop just never occurred.

"We might find something in storage."

"Don't worry too much." Her partner pats her control panel, though he doesn't touch the controls because it's no time for that. "We've found plenty of useful technical data. Finding a workable method for bio-transference was always a pie in the sky thing anyway."

She thought that was the whole point of coming here; either getting the materials he needed to cyberise more of his body or getting her the materials for a techno-organic avatar. Since they're probably not going to get that, isn't this a waste of time?

"You're not disappointed?"

"I got to see a magnificently desolate alien world in the company of a local guide whom I adore. We downloaded data which we can not merely sell for our own enrichment, but hold over potential enemies so that they daren't attack us for fear it will end up in the hands of their enemies. To say nothing of the repairs it will let us make to the cybertronian technology left on Earth. Sure, we didn't get some of the things that would have been nice to have, but it's not that big a deal."

"You sounded so hopeful when we talked about it. I don't want you to be disappointed and not tell me."

"If I worried about what I didn't have the whole time, I'd never spend any time appreciating what I have. What we have. I hope we'll never run out of things to strive for, but life's pretty good. Isn't it?"

Huh.

"It is. It really is." She increases resolution on her sensors, improving her view of Shockwave's laboratory. "Still worth going in?"

"If you can't detect any weapons. It won't break my heart if we don't get it, but I'd still like it."

"Alright."

She reduces power to her anti-gravity and shifts her thrusters, performing a shallow dive which takes them through the hole in the roof. She tenses as they enter the room, but no turrets deploy from the walls and no voices shout in alarm. Feeling a little mischievous, she pops her canopy and transforms, tossing her partner into the air and catching him in her right hand as she lands on her feet. She smiles at the way his normally calm and confident expression is suddenly discombobulated, not sure which way's up and what's going on, because that's how he makes her feel a lot of the time and this is the best she can to do pay him back.

He rests his arms on her forefinger. He regains his calm almost immediately, but she can feel the tremor as his chest pump pounds to increase the flow of fuel to his servos.

"I've changed my mind. We'll find a way to transfer me into a titan, just so I can do that to you."

"Sure." She puts him down on what used to be a computer console. "A titan. I'm sure we can find-."

Ptchung!

The burst of purple energy hits Slipstream directly in the chest, sending her hurtling backwards, her cockpit and the surrounding armour melted to slag!

Ptchung!

The second shot hits her right shoulder as she stumbles, bursting the joint apart and sending the arm pinwheeling across the chamber, guns halfway deployed as liquid fuel leaks from the wound!

Chm. Chm.

At first, all he can see is a glowing red eye.

Chm. Chm.

Then the huge bulk of Shockwave marches into view, gun arm pointed at Slipstream who is struggling to remain animate.

"Slipstream. And.. pet."

He raises his gun arm, pointing it at Slipstream's head as she tried to lever herself up on her remaining arm. She freezes, optics locked on glow of the gun's interior.

"I do not know how you found me, but I find the fact that I have the opportunity to remove you as a distraction… Satisfying."

Her eyes dart to her-.

"Senator Shockwave." The tiny human spreads out his arms in a gesture of appeal that Shockwave almost certainly doesn't recognise. Senator? Was that what he was before the Great War? "What possible good is there in killing us?"

"Ordinarily I would interrogate you for information. But I do not have the resources to spare."

His gun chimes as he charges-.

"I believe that this course of action is illogical."

His gun doesn't move, but his head swivels to glare at the human.

"Slipstream has betrayed the Decepticon cause. Killing her will permanently remove her as a threat. Killing you will permanently remove you as an information leak."

"What is the Decepticon cause?"

"The destruction of the Autobots."

"And that's it?"

"Explain."

"I remember, Senator, that you have a rather different answer prior to your…" he points to his face. "Empurata and mnemosurgery."

"A different age."

"But you remember it. The aim of a Decepticon is not just to be a Decepticon; that's a circular definition. It is to achieve freedom for all the Cybertronians the old High Council oppressed. To cast them down and ensure that their kind can never regain power. Isn't it?"

"It was. But that definition is no longer relevant."

"Oh, I think it is. What are the High Council doing right now?"

"They are dead."

"And do the Autobots use cold construction? Do they have slaves? Castes?"

"They do not. This discussion is irrelevant."

"No, it isn't. Because you've recognised the contradiction. Killing us might help the organisation that calls itself 'The Decepticons' in the sense that it gives the group a tactical advantage, but it doesn't do anything to advance the cause that is supposed to define the organisation. Can you be a Decepticon without doing Decepticon things? Without fulfilling the function that defines them?"

"That-." Shockwave's optical unit spins, and his gun lowers as he devotes more time to considering the subject.

"I'm curious. Even after you had the opportunity to reverse what they did to you, you never took it. Why?"

"The capacity for logical thought was more useful to the cause than empathy."

"You concluded that logically, weighing up the alternatives?"

"Yes."

"And you did that after your enemies fiddled around with your mind? How do you know that it was a logical decision, when the thing you were using to decide whether or not it was logical was the thing they altered? How do you know you haven't been following High Council programming ever since?"

Shockwave staggers, his gun arm hanging loose. Paul checks Slipstream. She.. doesn't look good, and she's definitely feeling pain, but she doesn't look like she's in danger of bleeding out.

"I-. If.. the objective of the Decepticon organisation has been achieved-. We… Won. The War would be… Over. Anyone who stands against the caste system… Is a Decepticon. But… That includes all current generation Autobots. Why-? Why didn't I see it before?"

"Because the High Council programmed you not to. To think in tactical, act utilitarian terms and ignore long term strategic issues. They didn't want a reasonable, compassionate Senator working against them from inside government and rallying the population to force them to reform. But a cold, hard killer would work fine as a threat to scare the population who were worried about what Megatron was doing in Kaon."

"That… Is… Logical. Then-. There is no reason to.. kill. And even if you are mistaken about what the High Council did to me, there is no overriding reason to maintain this mindset. In fact, my prior way of thinking is more likely to be useful as Optimus Prime forges a new government."

He lowers his gun, deliberately this time.

"No individuals with the required skills to reverse mnemosurgery survive into the modern era."

"There may be a way around that. If you give Slipstream the medical attention that she needs."

"What is that?"

"Prayer."

16th October 2013
    Once Slipstream Is Up And Taking Light Refreshment

The guns are pointing over his head as he strides out of the ground bridge and into the Autobot command centre.

"Hello, Optimus. I need to borrow the Matrix really quickly. Don't worry, I'll bring it back."

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Also one of the more insane minds.

Is this Shockwave asking?

Because it would be hilarious!

26. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Quick question. Can you charge a power ring on the allspark?

27. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

Ok I really hope we get part three of this to see the results of prayer also logic fu nice

Otto von Saurion, mauke, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  28. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Can you charge an Orange Lantern using the White Light Entity?

That's what you just asked.

29. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

I realise what he says makes sense, but also I can't help but imagine him treating it using those old "Oh gosh I'll pray for you" platitudes.

"But how can I heal myself? The technology has been lost, the techniques no longer exist!"

"I'll pray for you fam."

Also quite liked using the contradiction to talk his way out.

"I have thought about it and made the calculations, and my cold, ruthless,and logical mindset is more valuable to my cause."

"Cool, cool. And the brain you used to determine that your mind is more valuable this way, is that the same brain that was literally reprogrammed by your enemies?"

"..."

"So, what you're saying is, is that you think the high council programmed you to be good at fighting the high council?"

"...Fuck."

30. Mr Zoat

Cybertron is literally the recumbent body of their creator-god. That makes it a little different, culturally speaking.
    No. If it were Shockwave, they wouldn't be aiming over his head and they would have fired.