1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. boo600

boo600 Welp

They protect him, including his clothes. They’ve never been used as a method of bypassing his defenses.

In regards to Batman, I’m not sure how he’d deal with either. The rings mean you can’t heat up the spell eaters via microwaves; you basically need to pour Archmage level Magic into them to get rid of them. And the tattoos are just there.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    Cuchulin and Assblaster5000 like this.
  2. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

Huh. It occurs to me that an antimatter multiverse existing might actually be canon? Or at least implied pseudo-canon if you extrapolate? The Antimatter Universe existed before Crisis on Infinite Earths, because Qward has always been the place Sinestro got his Yellow Ring from. Except that means that there can’t only be one singular Antimatter Universe for the entire regular multiverse as the comics claim.

Because that would mean that every version of Sinestro with a Yellow Ring all visited the same Qward, which would be impossible as someone would have mentioned that by now. Unless the one singular Antimatter Universe (that is supposedly as large as the actual positive multiverse) just has multiple identical planets named Qward for each universe’s Sinestro to visit, which is not only dumb but it would also be unlikely that none of the Sinestros ever encountered each other.

It’s not like the Guardians don’t have alt-versions of themselves throughout the multiverse either. Ergo, each positive universe having it’s own antimatter counterpart makes more logical sense than one singular Giga-Huge Antimatter Universe counterbalancing the entire positive multiverse.

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Nobody has ever targeted his clothes with magic, so not sure how you know that.

4. Threadmarks: Fear Ourself (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

21st January 2013
    11:38 EST

He didn't need to do that.

"I am entity Volthoom. Observed behavioural models consistent with heroic self-identification."

And after what I've been through… Sure, I can't turn Volthoom off, but it's a hell of a lot easier to ignore.

"I am entity Volthoom. Psychological self-assessment indicative of major trauma."

But I'm nearly home, with a power ring he didn't need to give back. So I owe him, I guess. And I'm no welsher. So I'll pay him back if he ever asks.

And if he doesn't ask, that's his fault.

"I am entity Volthoom. Dwarf planet Luna approaching. Binary partner Earth approaching."

And I barely felt the need to tell Volthoom that it's a moon called The Moon. Mammon-damned nerd-ring.

"I am entity Volthoom. Ultraman's Fortress in sight."

I grin as I make an egg launcher and fire a volley of eggs at his front window, then watch them sail into the void.

"I am entity Volthoom. Infantile retribution accomplished in five, four, three, two, one. Infantile retribution successful."

And that's why he should leave his basic force field on all the time, and not just set it to reactive mode. Now, on to the base on The Moon.

"I am entity Volthoom. User is currently being tracked by thirty four turrets."

The automatic defences deploy the moment I fly over the horizon, but whether they fire or not depends on how much of an asshole Thomas feels like being right now. Not like they don’t know who I am, or what I did to earn my seat at the table.

I used to feel a churning in my stomach when those things pointed at me. One of the few things in the world that could kill me, pointing at me every time. Now, nothing.

They don't fire, but the door doesn't open either. Guess he's feeling like being a medium asshole today.

"I am entity Volthoom. Thomas Wayne is most likely using this opportunity to assess any new capacities."

Now, see, that was actually helpful. Why can't you say things like that more often?

"I am entity Volthoom. Thomas Wayne is most likely also using this opportunity to be an asshole."

And I feel like being a dick. And you know what dicks do to assholes? Particularly when the dick was paying attention when that Orange Lantern was hitting Parallax.

"I am entity Volthoom. Dicks that fuck assholes often receive a coating of faecal matter."

Nobody's perfect.

The big airlock doors disintegrate beautifully, plasma fields keeping the air inside contained as I fly inside.

"Guess who's back, fuckers!"

Right, everybody's going to be in the meeting room. And everyone else is off the moon base, because this is Big Dog Day and they're not Big Dogs.

That sounds fucking juvenile, doesn't it?

"I am entity Volthoom. Yes."

Rarf.

Oh, good, Thomas isn't being a total asshole. The doors on the way to the meeting room open as I fly through the place, though I'm still going to bet that he hasn't bothered to tell any of the others. God below I have not missed any of them. Ultraman's cuckold fetish. Thomas's incredible pettiness. Johnny Quick's drug addled brain farts. Superwoman's grating vanity and lack of imagination.

Honestly, I would gladly hand every single one of them over to Luthor if I didn't know he'd be even worse.

"I am entity Volthoom. Perhaps they see you in a similar way?"

Yeah, well, fuck 'em.

Finally. Meeting room doors. Land, and push them open.

"Back again!"

Ultraman looks surprised. Or possibly gormless. Superwoman clearly doesn't care. Owlman's blank and Quick is blinking fast enough that I can feel the wind from here. Thought they weren't going to let him shoot up before a meet-?

Some guy in black and red with a burning skull for a head is sitting in my seat.

"Hey there, new guy. Who're you?"

"I am Deathstorm."

"Like it. Super-edgy. Sounds like a joke until people start dying, then it goes all the way around and starts being scary again."

"You quit, Power Ring." Ultraman's trying to look confident and commanding. But all he can manage is smug, and that's a joke when you realise what an immature fuckup he is. You got born with power, fell over more power, and the only reason why Thomas lets you think you're in charge is because he doesn't want to have to fix the damage you'd do in your death-throes. "You wanna try taking your seat back?"

"Nah, Super-Death-Kill-Nasty-Man can keep it. I'm sure he's earned it. I'm calling you out, you f-."

His fist hits my wall so fast that for an instant I can still see him sitting on his chair. But unlike last time, and the time before that and the time before that, it doesn't break. The wall holds.

I like that look on his face.

"You can't do that."

There's a barely visible blur as he tried hitting it again.

Guess who's not afraid any more?

"Yeah. I can. Know what else I can do?"

"DIE!"

This heat vision hits my wall to absolutely no effect. Tunnel vision. Him not seeing my constructs.

WOOOOOOM!

"AGH!"

He slams his hands over his ears, staggering and falling to his knees. Everyone else is backing up in exactly the sort of display of loyalty and valour I've come to expect.

"Three hundred and eighty-five megahertz. Exactly the frequency to really fuck up your inner ears."

"Nyugnugguuuh!"

"Hurts a lot. Now I know how this goes: the powerful one smacks the weaker one around a bit, then we get back to business. But I read Machiavelli, and you know what he says? 'Never do an enemy a small injury.' You know what happens at three hundred and ninety megahertz?"

His eyes open. "Nghnooo!"

"The kryptonite crystals in your blood explode."

WOOOOOOM!

I look at his body as it starts to sag. Honestly, I thought that he'd burst, but other than his eyes going red he doesn't look much different. Even with all the internal lacerations. Funny, that.

"I am entity Volthoom. Residual effects of kryptonite radiation maintain physical integrity. Will end once kryptonite denatures."

I plant my right boot on his forehead and shove him over and then walk around the table to the head, making eye contact with the recovering members of the Society.

"Here comes the new boss, different from the old boss." I give them a moment to retake their seats, or in Deathstorm's case make a new one from thin air. And then I very pointedly sit down in what used to be Ultraman's seat. "Owlman. What's been happening while I've been gone?"

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  5. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

While Fear enlightened Green Lantern is probably a less optimal option than Will enlightened Green Lantern, it certainly isn't a bad option.

6. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

There's some kind of history there that's passing entirely over my head to explain why power ring specifically wants Ultraman dead.

7. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

If you always know what you're afraid of, and why you fear it, it kind of takes the sting of it out. Will through it anyways, and it powers a Green Ring pretty good, apparently.

8. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Because they're supervilliains

Personality conflicts are part of the business.

Also, it sounds like him and ultraman have done this before, and he got beat up a bunch.

9. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Establishing the new pecking order. Plus, they're all assholes and none of them like each other.

10. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

His new leadership could turn this self-sabotaging team into a real nightmare couldn't it? Me thinks Paul goofed here.

Istaran, Ardy, Prince Charon and 6 others like this.
  11. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

"Will is weak to Fear"

Fear Enlightened Green Lantern: "lol. lmao."

12. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Maybe, but it's only a problem for Paul if Power Ring decides to go to his Earth an make it a problem. Otherwise it's only a problem for the local version of Paul if there is one.

13. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

megahertz

14. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

Green Lantern Rings usually say that people are chosen because they have the ability to overcome great fear. So being Fear Enlightened must make you a pretty kick ass Green Lantern.

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ooh, a chapter from Harrolds' POV? This will be quite entertaining, methinks. Presumably, he's just been dropped off in Earth -16's orbit by OL. So this homecoming will be fun... For him, at least.

Gee, you think, V? On the upside, there's not going to be anything that fazes him any more.

Once again, 'Cui Bono?' These humans just have trouble relating to those with truly altruistic natures...

But you still did it anyway, didn't you? Old habits die hard, even after what you've been through.

Their equivalent of the old Justice League Satellite, I take it? No doubt a flex on Ultraman's part, holding their meetings in his house...

Ugh, snap-frozen egg is going to take so long to clean off. Probably a good thing Ultraman won't be doing it himself.

Then again, they know you went off seeking more power. He may shoot anyway just to see what you can do now.

But not a great mood. Superwoman must be messing with him.

Ah, one step forwards, two steps back. Guess you can't have everything.

I mean, if you don't prepare beforehand, yes. But in this case, it'll hurt more if you surprise him and go in dry. ;)

A pity you couldn't get a copy of OL's more exotic weapons database options. But I suppose that's something to look into later. Earth is one of the best places for that sort of tech, after all.

Never start your big gloating return until you have an audience, bruh. First rule of Presentation.

Well, their whole world sounds juvenile. As has been pointed out, a society driven by self-centred priorities would have to function very differently.

...Honestly, Ultraman being into the whole cheating thing probably explains why he doesn't just pulp Owlman. Well, that and the no-doubt-hundreds of plans Owlman probably has set up to fuck him up if he does try.

Just because it's true doesn't mean he likes to hear it, V. :p

It's not quite Loki's "Asgard! Your saviour has arrived!" but I doubt any of these guys would care for the theatricality.

Man, imagine sitting through a meeting like this at superspeed. Hearing all their chatter and sniping taunts in super-slow-mo...

Huh. A rare case of a more modern character showing up. Though I suspect this is more just 'bad guy Firestorm' than anything exotic or New 52-esque

Oh, boy. Are they ever in for a shock...

Well, no need to wait for someone to say 'go', I see. I suspect that would have hurt.

Surprise level-up, baby. Kind of the whole point.

Or rather, who's been so afraid, they came out the other side pretty much fearless.

No, that's a bit of an ask. I doubt Volthoom would revive him, after all.

I see he's learnt a bit more from OL than just fancy armour. Like filaments.

The joy of super-senses, when someone knows how to exploit their weaknesses.

...I really hope that's just retching. I suspect involuntary projectile-vomiting with super-strength might be a threat to the structural integrity of the base.

I'm guessing this is going to be Ultraman's last words...

So, are they going to need a mop for cleanup, or a lot of moist towelettes?

...Oh, right. Flesh and bone made of much tougher materials than mere humans.

Not carving your insignia into the seat, right over the top of Ultraman's if one was there? Wasted chance to show off.

Well, I'd say that's a pretty triumphant homecoming. No doubt Owlman is already calculating how to kill him despite this newfound level of prowess. Now, why do I get the feeling Harrolds is about to start a new era of unrelenting oppression for the people of Earth -16, though? Let's hope they don't get any ideas about interdimensional capers anytime soon...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'damage' or 'damages'.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, not really.

Megamind agrees.

Because you have relatively good instincts.

Ahh, Paul.

Working to get rid of one tyrant, but giving another world a new one.

18. B00ki5h

B00ki5h Verified: Oddball, Lurker, and Dabbler

Better fear erodes will, will conquers fear. The quickest way to overcome a green lantern is by making them feel fear. And a yellow light enlightened lantern can’t fall to his fear. Hope might do odd things to him though.

19. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

eh, not my take

while his construct can't be weaken through fear because he now perfectly aware of them

he can't will through them now for more power

kinda a trade off

hm, i wonder if this also apply to Paul when he was using the Pink Ring, was his greed enlightenment helping with love during that arc ?

20. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I'm a bit worried about the presence of Deathstorm. If that's just the evil Firestorm equivalent, that's fine. But if there's any Nekron involvement, that's dangerous as hell.

Ardy, NightmareWarden and Cuchulin like this.
  21. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

-14 is where Blue Paul lives. Ultraman and Owlman are already dead. I thought this was -16.

Cuchulin, Ardy, HearthBorn and 3 others like this.
  22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

To borrow a phrase: Thank you, corrected.

kerleth, Cuchulin and Minars90 like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Well, it megahurt more than once.
    Thank you, corrected.

kerleth, Sockmonkey, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  24. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

He is in negative 16, the mirror of Paul's earth.

Cuchulin, Minars90, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  25. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’Thought’

It occurs to me that the way Volthoom says stuff based on what the wielder is thinking could be more than just annoying. I wonder if any of the times he got beaten up by Ultraman were because of Volthoom mouthing off based on what Harrolds was thinking.

For a moment I was surprised by Harrolds being able to stop Ultraman dead, but then I remembered that one of the Green Lanterns tanked being punched through an entire planet by Malvolio earlier. Guess I forgot how tough a proper Green Lantern is to brute force.

26. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

This seems strange. Enlightenment should be more about awareness than overcoming, no? Like, he should feel exactly how much less he fears the guns. Or is there some other reason this particular fear became exactly zero?

Woah, there. That's the first ever question I've seen by Volthoom. Didn't think it capable of that. Is it actually a person after all?

Ultraman is such an asshole that you don't need an additional reason. The extra punchiness he brings to the table is not worth everything else he is and does. And when he calls himself a leader he actually expects the others to accept his bullshit and follow his whims. Lastly, he's not the kind to be nin-lethally deposed and made a useful second in command.

27. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I feel like fear enlightenment should make him a much more agreeable tyrant. A lot of the oppression that tyrants inflict on their population is due to paranoia. But a power ring allows for actually effective surveillance and a fiefdom the size of a planet allows for living in absolute luxury and all kinds of additional vanity projects without making a real dent into the overall national budget. The worst that could happen is either his ingroup/outgroup protecting some real sadistic assholes, or people whose squabbling for position does a lot of regularly occuring collateral damage, or an ingroup so large that his regime is racist. Or that he cares so little about actual governing that it gets fucked up by whoever does it for him. Or I guess the kind of stupidity that is worse than malice.

kerleth, Cuchulin, boo600 and 6 others like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Kryptonians are stronger... If they know what they're doing.

29. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Was this Ultraman the one that snorts Kryptonite like cocaine?

kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

I don't think we're ever shown exactly how it gets into his system. In one comic he mentions having it implanted in slow release capsules.