1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Dream magic? Ah. A great excuse to have more best princess.

Duke Long, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  2. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

What's the spider guild child have to do with this?

3. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

levers

4. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Huh. Grayven has less experience with the Dreaming than Paul does, doesn't he?

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

True, but he has the advantage of having a Mother Box, and thus the knowledge that New Genesis has of the Dream.

6. Threadmarks: Pyrrhucy (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

14th February 2013
    16:47 GMT

Ms. Mallor winces as she looks at the content of what I've started to think of as the Book of Shadows, occasionally glancing down at the array that surrounds the device that reformatted Lantern Peldak's ring. Nothing from Ub'x yet, though I suspect that my message got through.

"This is… It doesn't make sense."

"In what way?"

"Ritual sacrifice hasn't ever been part of what we do here. There-. There were religions that made sacrifices to the Father of Shadows, but that was before Shadow Champions existed as an institution."

"How did the sacrifices end?"

She gives me a slightly awkward look. "People were being murdered. It only kept going as long as most people in those cultures thought they needed to. Usually, the moment those cultures had contact with a culture that didn't, it either stopped, or… Or it didn't, and there was a revolution that overthrew their priests and kings and sacrificed them."

"Reminds me a little of the Aztecs. I assume that the people doing the sacrifices were immune from being volunteered?"

"I.. don't know." She turns a page. "I wouldn't be surprised. Aztecs?"

"Culture from my homeworld. As far as I remember, they're the most recent one to practice human sacrifice. They demanded victims from their tributaries. When people from the next continent over where they didn't practice human sacrifice turned up and picked a fight with them, every single tributary rose up in revolt. The foreign invaders ended up trying to stop their allies wiping the Aztecs out."

She nods.

"Do you understand any of what she wrote?"

"Some of it. We have studied the Shadowlands as much as we dared. I hadn't.. thought about it, but it makes sense that our studying accelerated after the Father of Shadows departed. Lyssa Drak would have been a natural choice to lead those studies." She turns the page again, frowning. "I am concerned about what will happen if it becomes known that our powers can be replicated through murder."

"Does the book say how the book was made?"

"It's mostly a research journal. I assume that when I study it fully, I will understand the process."

"Or that's something that she learned from elsewhere."

"Does Sinestro know anything about magic?"

"He was a xenoarchaeologist. It's possible that he ran into something somewhere. And his sister supposedly used magic, though since literally no other Korugaran has ever shown any affinity for it I'm not sure that there wasn't something else going on. And he used to have access to the Green Lantern Corps' full database on magic and thaumically active locations, so…"

"He could employ someone easily."

"Yes. But… Unless there's something written in that book, we don't have any proof that Sinestro had anything to do with this."

"You said that the ring said his name."

"Sinestro's existence and history aren't secret either."

And Abin Sur knew his name and counted him as a friend when he founded the Indigo Lantern Corps… Unless things are completely different from the comics. He might well have put Sinestro's name in the system as a back-up First Lantern.

"Do you need any other resources here, or are you okay to keep working?"

"I'll probably need a physicist eventually, but I can find one for myself."

I nod. "And… To the best of your knowledge, is there anything that I need to worry about?"

"About what you did to get a feel for the Shadowlands?" I nod. "Richard Swift doesn't seem to have any trouble in using or controlling his power. But unless he comes here and agrees to be studied, I can't tell you anything about how your species connects to the Shadowlands."

"Fair enough. Either a Controller or a Qwardian will be along later to have a look at the machine. Best of luck with the reunion."

I step out, orientating on the giant glow that is the Orange Central Power Battery. Ms. Mallor is perfectly capable of handling that investigation on her own, and she has even more legal authority to do so than the local Green Lanterns. The Shadowlands probably aren't either a threat or an opportunity, but transferring her doesn't really cost anything and it might prove to be useful.

I

appear outside of Kalmin's laboratory.

I wait a moment, then press the bell.

And then I wait another moment, because I strongly suspect that Kalmin isn't in the best frame of mind at the-.

The door opens, and one of his acolytes is standing on the other side. He realises who I am, then winces.

"Sorry. But he's the only one-."

He steps aside, putting the gun he was carrying back into the doorside rack.

"He will see you. He is…" He looks me in the face for a moment. "About as happy as you might surmise."

"I'd have brought something, but I don't know what Qwardians give in situations like this."

"The last known location of our enemies. That way."

He points towards Kalmin's forge, and I'm a little surprised that I can't hear anything. Kalmin is usually quite happy to rant about why he's unhappy, but I suppose that he doesn't see the point if there's no audience?

I walk slowly in the direction indicated, to give him plenty of time to express his unwillingness to see me if that's how he feels.

"Weaponer Kalmin?"

"Illustres, come here."

I walk into his inner sanctum, where the yellow ring is held in a vice while Kalmin's equipment interfaces with it. Kalmin doesn't look around, instead remaining focused on his readouts.

"What news?"

"It's a hideous hack job, but it would work. Barely."

"'Barely' meaning..?"

"A ring needs to be acclimatised to the mind state of the user. It's less of a concern with green rings, as the user is supposed to be completely focused on whatever they're doing at that moment. With other colours, it's more significant. This was not configured for Lyssa Drak."

"No, I think we interrupted her before she could finish."

"The concept was sound, though. The ring will function. Though it was a good deal more subtle a way of gathering fear than I would bother using. Slower, too."

"But it could go undetected for a long time."

"If that was the goal. I knew Sinestro well. He could be patient, but once he had an aim in mind I doubt that he would be happy with such sloth. Or deliberate imperfection. I find it more likely that Lyssa Drak was trying to prove her worth to him, rather than that he was commanding her directly."

"You done with the ring?"

"I haven't destroyed it." I wait a moment. "Yes, I have nothing more to learn. Take it and be gone."

I walk over and pull it from the vice.

"Nar."

One more thing before I return to Earth.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  7. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'hear'.

That should say 'bother'.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"from wiping"

"One more"

10. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

One more thing before I return to Earth.

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

To be fair, Lyssa Drak seemed to be just a little cracked, in terms of worldview. Whether that predated her association with Sinestro or came about because of it, we may never know...

Since as mentioned before, it never really noticed or cared about them. So whatever group were making sacrifices...

...They were likely very quickly ended.

The Aztecs. Certainly relevant to the discussion, all right.

I can imagine that story has played out on her world too.

Best not to let it be widely known, then...

Hopefully without a desire to use the process.

...Honestly, that's a good question. At the level of technology the Rings operate on, there's not much difference between magic and science.

Probably with promises of a position within his Corps upon success.

...It said something that sounded like his name. Joy of it using an obscure dialect that's not translated by other Rings. For all we know, in the Indigo Tribesmen's language, 'Si Nes Tro' means 'User unsuitable' or something.

Honestly not impossible.

Especially with access to NEMO's resources.

Presumably the dark-element mana he's absorbed is already being flushed out of his soul-stuff.

Never know what little things might pay off.

Ooh, this could be loud. I bet he's not happy about the Yellow Ring thing.

While discreetly reinforcing your environmental shielding, of course.

Ah. That bad, eh? Hopefully he hasn't blown up anything important in his bad mood.

...Okay, then. OL might want the heavy armour on for this, then...

To be fair, if OL knew that location, he'd probably already be trying to recruit them.

Ooh. Beware the quiet rages, those tend to burn the hottest.

Because it's always more satisfying to yell at OL in person.

At least he's looking at it. That's a good sign?

Well, good to know. I expect it was a proof of concept more than a functional try.

Oh, if only she had and found her method didn't work as well as she thought it did...

Makes you wonder how many other methods of Ring-crafting Sinestro is investigating that are slow but quiet...

So she may have learned what he was planning, but not talked to him about it beforehand. I suppose coming to him with a Yellow Ring in hand would have added to her appeal.

Sick of looking at the sloppy workmanship, Kalmin? :p

Let me guess, that's an 'access denied' response from the Ring.

Well, that was an interesting bit of discussion. From the sound of it, Lyssa was treating this little Ring-hacking project as an audition for Sinestro's service. Whether he knew about it before she would have turned up, that remains to be seen. But at least OL has his Yellow Ring to use for now. Hopefully Ub'x turns up and he can get the full set going.

12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I don't think so.

13. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Does Paul still cook?

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  14. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Nok probably means compassion, Nar probably means Fear... So White, being the combination of all colors, could be Neener-Neener.

I wonder if any Qwardians are kept in science cells on Oa. Some of them are valuable sources of information.

15. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Nar? Is that the ring's AI speaking?

I don't know why but the idea of a ring that just says "Narf" every time it's given an order has me giggling. "Narf", and "Zort" when it's used to blast something.

"Gee Gravyen, what are we going to do tonight?"

"The same thing we do every night Pinky Ring. Try to take over the World!"

16. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I decided to look up the most recent, out of curiosity, and according to my half-arsed research both the Hawaiians and the Dahomey of Africa were doing some degree of human sacrifice as late as the early 1800s. Pretty surprising.

The Incas and Mayans were doing it for a while after the conquest of the Aztecs, which I’m surprised he doesn’t know.

Apparently illegal human sacrifice is an ongoing problem in parts of Africa, though I’m not sure whether I should call that a culture.

17. Mr Zoat

I don't know about the Hawaiians, but the Dahomey didn't sacrifice people to their gods. They did it for fun during their national festival, like an American ritually sacrificing a Brit on Independence Day.

18. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

You might know more than me, but I was just going off the Wikipedia page which describes it as ‘religious’ and says they did it at least in part to gain favour from their ancestor spirits.

19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Nok is the name of the planet that the Indigo Tribe started on.

It somehow has an underground river of compassion that a slave uprising dipped their melee weapons in to make their slavers feel compassion.

Sur came across the planet, and being concerned about the Guardian's sociopathic tendencies, decided an Indigo lantern corps ready if/when the Guardians went off the rails would be a good idea, so they forged the staves and rings out of the liquid compassion.

More or less happened in this story, although Zoat's Guardians are not especially prone to sociopathy, so the Indigo Tribe was apparently not designed to enslave the Guardians to empathy. Emergency backup maybe?

20. Impatient_Quill

Impatient_Quill Versed in the lewd.

A dedicated corp to supliment the Green Lantern's Law Enforcement with more social focused Peacekeeping?

21. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Okay yes, but in the comics "Nok" is one of the most commonly said words by Indigo lanterns. It almost certainly means "compassion" or "act with compassion." Otherwise they're randomly sticking "Earth" or "Oa" into their sentences.

22. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Ping

23. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

The Indigo language doesn't actually make any sense and it will melt your brain trying to make it fit. "No conlangers were harmed in the creation of this comic." (Because none of them were consulted.)

24. Patrick Holt

Patrick Holt Getting sticky.

Margaret Thatcher? :) What none of you think power is sexy?

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Yes.
    No.

26. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

The idea of human sacrifice for fun, rather than appeasing a god. Specifically, the image of Americans sacrificing a British person for Independence Day? Given how we usually celebrate, it just brought to mind a British person being tied to a giant fireworks rocket for that final celebratory bang.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I mean, the British do it symbolically, so does that count? That's what the Guy Fawkes thing of burning the Pope is supposed to represent, right?

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  28. Threadmarks: Pyrrhucy (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

14th February 2013
    16:53 GMT

"Illustres." Diataria Lysis is keeping her face completely still as she looks at me from my ring projection. "What do you require?"

"A conversation with Thaal Sinestro would be nice. But failing that, how's my ring coming?"

"There… Has been a problem in the supply line. I am sorry, but I will need a little longer."

"These things happen. How's Ms. Drak doing?"

"It-? That was you."

"And some friends. Interesting approach. Kalmin wasn't completely contemptuous."

"How did you find out about that..?"

"It's a small universe. Do you have a personal lantern to go with it?"

"…yes. It will.. function. I had intended to fine tune it before notifying you-"

"Uh-huh."

"-that it was ready. I understand your scepticism, but Lantern Sinestro is quite insistent that we honour our agreements."

I nod. That does fit with his personality profile, assuming that he wasn't planning on attacking us immediately. But if she's about to suggest that I come to an isolated planetoid without an escort, I'm going to mock her.

"I suggest that I perform the handover on a planet-."

"Of my choice? Yes, what a good and completely reasonable idea. I'll bring a bodyguard, because I'm not an idiot."

"Ah. Yes. I take it that you have no objection to me doing the same?"

"As long as it's not Ms. Drak."

"No. Since you… Disrupted our operation on Talok, we don’t have a spare ring for her."

"In the interest of us not stepping on one another's toes again, might I suggest that she find a way to touch the Shadowlands that doesn't involve the ritual murder of another Lantern? I doubt that Sinestro wants to start a war before he's ready."

"I will pass that on. Do you have a location in mind?"

Needs to be somewhere that doesn't look like an obvious trap from her perspective, too. Sending her to Earth would be stupid. Asking to meet on Korugar… Well, they wouldn't send Sinestro. … Probably. Ungara? No, not with their environmental problems. Too much risk to them if it turns into a fight. Mars would look like a trap.

"Can you get to Dryanna? It's just outside the Vega Systems."

"Your ally Commodore Amalak's base of operations."

"My occasional business partner Amalak's base of operations. We don't have a formal written agreement. And the scenery is actually quite nice."

She… Appears to glance at something off-screen. "Acceptable. I assume that you want it as soon as possible."

"Yes please."

"I can be there…" Off-screen again. "In slightly over one Earth day. Is that acceptable?"

"Completely fine. One bodyguard. See you then."

She nods, and the image vanishes.

Hm. Between Amalak's fleet and sensor network I don't think that I have to worry about getting swarmed. Sinestro's the only person with enough experience to maybe beat me in a fight, so I'm not too worried about losing to a single specialist. I'll be in full armour the whole time.

But who to take with me? Komand'r and Koriand'r are closest, but riding herd on Vega is a full time job. Xor is technically my partner, but I'd rather not call him away from his current assignment. Same with Vran, plus there's the possibility that she might jump ship. Jump back to her old ship.

One possibility, then.

"Illustres to Lantern Natu."

I wait. If she's operating, then she's not going to respond immediately. Actually, I suppose that Kalmin would be a reasonable choice, as I'm sure that he'd like a few words with his former student about her construction methods. But I don't really want him meeting people, or not here to watch his students. Other possibilities-.

"Yes?"

Voice only.

"Are you available for deployment?"

"I-. Ah can be? Casualties?"

"No. We're going to meet the person who makes power rings for your father. I thought that you might have some things you'd like to get off your chest."

"Is he going to be there?"

"Not as far as I know."

"I just woke up. I-."

"Sorry, I didn't realise. This isn't actually an order; I can get someone else. I just thought that it might be helpful."

"You're the Illustres."

"Yes, but that doesn’t mean that I should just ride roughshod over-."

"Will this help me?"

"He's up to something. I don't know what, exactly. You've lived without his input for most of your life, so I doubt that your relationship is so significant a factor in your mind that it's routinely weakening you. If you don’t want to access the higher levels of power you could probably ignore it completely. The issue would be when Sinestro actually does something."

"Because I'd be distracted."

"Just so. It's usually best to deal with psychological issues before they manifest. But as I said, I can get someone else."

"Okay, yeah. Just… Give me twenty minutes."

"Certainly. Meet me at the Central Power Battery when you're ready."

"Lantern Natu out."

And the ring dims, and I begin flying in the direction of the Central Power Battery. Not really enough time to visit the training ground, and I don't really need to do any further preparation.

"Ring. Message to Darkstar Nguyen."

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I can't wait to see how Sinestro will react to learning that his daughter is a member of the OLC. Hopefully whatever happens will help Soranik out mentally and emotionally.

30. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Not at all.