1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Alea Iacta Est - a Worm AU Fanfic

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Ack, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Hell, I lend my dice out regularly. I'm not superstitious about my dice at all.

Now, my players are superstitious about a red d20 that I got as part of a D&D promotion; they're convinced that it rolls more 20s than anything else. I have yet to be convinced.

But I still pull it out, just to scare the stirks out of them :p

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Disciple of Zor

It's entirely possible without any superstition involved. Imperfections in a die's balance or shape could easily result in it tending to roll certain numbers more often than others.

I'm not especially superstitious with my dice, but there is something kind of spooky when you return for the last three sessions of a long-running campaign you were part of near the beginning and were away from for fifteen years, the GM hauls out the old dice from the last epic battle from before you left for the final epic battle of the campaign against the same villain... and you end up rolling two natural 20s. In a row. As your first two rolls in the battle.

That happened to me just a few weeks ago.

3. GladiusLucix

GladiusLucix Versed in the lewd.

I'm just wondering on whether or not Taylor and Annette are half sisters, because, IIRC, Anne-Rose was already pregnant when she and Danny married, and I'm sure Andrea would have been up for a threesome.

Ame, Chase92, Richael and 6 others like this.
  4. Starfox5

Starfox5 Experienced.

I do not think that Andrea would never have told Danny about his other daughter. Or that Danny would never have told Taylor.

Prince Charon, Ame, Chase92 and 4 others like this.
  5. Chojomeka

Chojomeka Sexy and I know it

Actually it would be amusing as all hell if Andrea does allude to a threesome....but then states that no Danny is not Annete's father.;) Come on you know she would.:p

Ame, Chase92, Pyro Hawk and 5 others like this.
  6. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Because Annette was the father.

See there was a Tinker in the neighborhood and she had a few too many drinks and then several things happened that they can't remember clearly but the end result is that they vowed to never speak of it again and the girl Taylor met was actually Annette jr.

Zackarix, Ame, Chase92 and 9 others like this.
  7. Ack

All canon states is that Anne-Rose got pregnant, and so was unable to complete her studies (which were possibly law, given that Aleph!Anne-Rose was having her lunch in an area with law offices) but she may already have been married to Danny at that point.

In this canon (as in Recoil), Anne-Rose and Andrea were both bi; Anne-Rose more hetero oriented, while Andrea was more lesbian.

In the absence of Taylor Snow, Danny met Anne-Rose in the line to sign up for classes, and they struck up a conversation, which just kept on going. He started coming to college to see her, and they became serious. Andrea thought they were just too cute as a couple; she would have flirted with Danny a few times (because she's not Andrea if she doesn't flirt) but he's too straight-laced to even consider responding when Anne-Rose is the girl he's thoroughly besotted with. A threesome just wouldn't happen. Sorry. Except in Meet the Heberts, of course.

8. Datcord

Datcord Giggling menace

I've seen people punched for less. You don't grope another player's dice. I'd let you grope ME, first. ...okay, bad example. That's a pretty low bar to clear.

*curls lip* Ewwwww. That's unsanitary. Getting everyone's luck germs all over everything....

(For the record, yes. I'm one of those people who doesn't touch someone else's dice and you'd better not touch mine, either. At least not my GOOD dice. I've got a bag full of randoms that I don't care about, but... stay AWAY from my gaming dice. Yes, that's a bag with a few hundred D6s in it. NO, you can't borrow them for your Monopoly game. They're for Shadowrun, keep your mitts off!)

9. Ack

I have a metal d20, about two inches across, that I threaten players with. I can't roll it on the playing table; it'll break the glass.

alethiophile, Ame, Chase92 and 2 others like this.
  10. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Love the story, so very nice to see Piggot shock SS.

So Andrea was an actual character from canon? I don't remember her...

Chase92, Snake/Eater and Ack like this.
  11. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

Andrea is an OC whom Ack created for Recoil. She's the party girl to Annette Hebert's book nerd.

12. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Unless, of course, Anne-Rose was the one to instigate it... "I hope you enjoy your Christmas presents Danny... Why don't you come over here and... unwrap us."

*edit- I don't mean this as a joke either, this is a very realistic situation. Both Anne-Rose and Andrea are bi-sexual, both are close friends; and they have been lovers. Andrea has shown interest in Danny, but as Ack said, he's to straight-laced to do anything.

It's entirely possible that after Danny and Anne-Rose got intimate -- though still early in the relationship -- that Andrea could have wrestled her way into a threesome with them as a one-time thing. Things like that do happen in some colleges... (sadly, never any of the ones I went to)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Ame, Chase92, Slayer Anderson and 6 others like this.
  13. Datcord

Datcord Giggling menace

You... went to the wrong college. I'm just gonna leave it there. *eyebrow waggle*

Ack likes this.
  14. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

If you know any of the "right" colleges to go to in the Western New York area... I am looking to go back to college actually... Wouldn't want to miss out on the full college experience.:D

Ack likes this.
  15. ```

``` Versed in the lewd.

>BAB
    >not using glorious THAC0

bah, pebians!

pepperjack and Ack like this.
  16. ViperhawkZ

ViperhawkZ Emperor of Kanata

How dare we not use your wonk-ass moon logic system!

( :p )

Slayer Anderson, Asheram and Ack like this.
  17. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

Meh. They're high schoolers in, what, 2012? Most of the glory days of THAC0 were well before these chiclets were even born. They can probably be forgiven for playing the games they can find in Barnes & Noble instead of being brought up in the Ancient Ways.

ShadowStepper1300, Nyrath and Ack like this.
  18. Starfox5

Starfox5 Experienced.

We started in those "glory days" and kicked THAC0 to the curb as soon as we got 3E.

19. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

But Thaco is awesome. Just look at some of the recent Goblins updates.

Ack, Snake/Eater, Ame and 1 other person like this.
  20. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Oh god yes, I remember my first look at 3E after playing 2E as my first introduction to D&D and all I could think was "oh...my....god....this is....this is glorious! Why did they bother with that piece of shit THAC0 in the first place?"

21. Asheram

Asheram Know what you're doing yet?

All glory to OGL D20!

Ack likes this.
  22. Datcord

Datcord Giggling menace

THACo NEVER had "glory days." It had "Oh, man. This hangover is killing me. Why did I drink so much... ah, right. Fucking THACo! GIMME A NEW BOTTLE!" days.

23. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

It was certainly easier to explain to new players, and one of the unqualified mechanical improvements over earlier editions. When I told people what was different about third edition, this was always one of the first things I mentioned.

People who pine for THAC0 aren't exactly thinking of smoother mechanics when they're doing it, though.

Ack likes this.
  24. Asheram

*coughs*
    Individual XP lists.
    Multiclassing issues
    Racist Paladins.
    Attribute requirements for classes.
    *coughs*

Spoit and Ack like this.
  25. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

Honestly, this is a fairly neat solution to overpowered wizards.

Ack likes this.
  26. Asheram

True, but then it must have been an afterthought. XP and Leveling is a reward, which in this case comes more seldom and unevenly.

Ack likes this.
  27. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

As long as we're turning this into an RP bitch-fest, you know what I hate?

Ill-defined and ambiguous alignment guidelines.

Me (Rogue): "Hey guys, I'm just gonna' go loot these tombs, k?"

Paladin: "You can't do that! That's grave-robbing! It's evil!"

Me (Rogue): "...and I'm chaotic good, aren't I? Fuck. Wait! These are the thousand-year-old tombs of the litch-king's generals! They killed tens of thousands of people!"

Paladin: "It's still grave-robbing and it's still evil!"

Me (Rogue): "...you know what? Fuck it. Renegade for life, bitches!"

<RP eventually devolves into an morality argument and whether or not the Paladin should be able to 'Smite Evil' the grave-robbing Rogue>

*Note: Situation was exaggerated for effect, but not by much. This happened no less than five times with my old RP group.

mauke, Chase92, Ack and 7 others like this.
  28. ViperhawkZ

ViperhawkZ Emperor of Kanata

Looting the graves of evil people? Totally justified for CG. Your Paladin must have been hugging the Lawful Stupid trope pretty tight.

Chase92, Ack, Snake/Eater and 6 others like this.
  29. ```

``` Versed in the lewd.

Ive recently discovered that many of those kinds of problems can be neatly sidestepped, like Barry sanders on his way to the goal line, by just playing true neutral characters.

"Why are we killing these guys?"

"Rules of nature."

"Why are we helping these guys?"

"Rules of nature."

"Why-"

"RULES OF NAATUREEE!"

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  30. Ack

Just remember that THAC0 was actually a fan-made mechanic in its own right before you bash it too hard.

In red-book D&D, each class was faced with a table. "If foe's AC is X, you need to roll Y to hit it." At first, people would roll the dice and then consult the table, until someone got the idea of writing down the number that they needed to roll 'to hit armour class zero' (thus the name), and then subtracting the enemy's armour class from that for the roll they needed to hit that particular enemy.

For the day, given that the then-AC mechanic was 'lower equals better', it was actually quite inspired, and sped up combat dramatically.

When AD&D rolled around, enough fans were using it that instead of revamping the combat system as they did in 3E, they just officially incorporated THAC0 into the setup.