• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cooking Thread~ Recipes & Things

Mushroom Lasagna - Gaemnomut
I recently discovered a mushroom lasagne recipe that I quite enjoy. It's pretty simple to make, even though the individual steps all take a while, so plan about 3h if you want to make this.

Cut about 1kg of mushrooms into bite sized pieces. I use champignons but others like portobellos or perhaps shitake would probably work too.
If you like you can add some cut up carrots, bell peppers, fennel, onions, zuccini, ... or whatever else you like.
Coat everything with with a little bit of oil, salt, pepper, and chilli flakes, spread it on a baking tray and put it in the oven. Depending on the size of the tray it might be good to use two so everything gets baked well.
Roast the mushrooms and veggies in the oven until the mushrooms are dried and nicely browned. This gives them a really nice flavour. If too much fluid is released, don't hesitate to pour it off the baking tray and keep it for later. You can add that too the sauce.
You'll have to judge the oven settings depending on your oven and the veggies you are roasting. I usually go with 1-2 hours at 150-180° C with the fan on for about half the time. Just keep an eye on it to make sure nothing burns.

While that is baking get some dried porcini and/or some other dried mushrooms and and soak them about a litre of soup broth while the vegetables are roasting. You can heat it a bit but I wouldn't heat it more than to a light simmer.
After an hour or so, fish out the mushrooms, put them to the side, and reduce the sauce down until it's nice and thick. Add the sauce you took off the baking tray at this point if you have any.
Once you're done, add some cream, a bit of grated cheese of your choice (I like parmesan), a tablespoon of tomato paste, and whatever other flavours you like. I usually go with some red wine, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, thyme, rosmarin, and a teespoon of dijon mustard. Salt, pepper, and chilliflakes to taste. I also have an asian mushroom sauce for extra umami flavour.

Stir everything over heat until it's nicely combined, and then add in your roasted vegetables and the rehydrated mushrooms you fished out of the broth. I sometimes add some fresh spinach as well, since that goes really well with the rest.

Then you just have to layer everything with lasagne pasta sheets, sprinkle some cheese on top, and bake it till the sheets are cooked through.

The end result should be quite flavourful. I reccomend that you serve it with a light salad since it's quite heavy.

Also, I haven't tried this yet, but it probably works pretty well without the cream and cheese, so if you find the apropriate pasta you
should be able to make a vegan version pretty easily.

Enjoy :)

Jaegerschnitzel Family style:
Ingredients:
2 LB Thin sliced Pork(Think very thin slices. Shabu Shabu if possible)
1 Gal 2% milk
Eggs
flour
Italian fine breadcrumbs

Sauce:
1-2 8 Oz fresh mushrooms
1 pt cream or half&half
Time: 1 day for pre-prep soaking.
about half an hour to pan

First, take the thin sliced pork and pound it until it's about as thick as a flat quarter. Next cut it so that you can fit it into a refrigerator-safe bowl or two, making sure to remove any major fatty lumps. Layer the pounded pork into a large bowl, until it all fits. Fill the bowl with milk, to where you can't see any trace of pork. Cover the bowl and place in refrigerator for 24 hours, changing the milk completely halfway through. Make certain the milk doesn't freeze. NO Metal bowls, Plastic or Ceramic only!

Once you are ready to cook, drain bowl of pork and milk, lightly patting the pork slices dry. Set your stovetop to 3-5, or medium heat.
Take out three bowls that can fit the pork slices within. Fill one halfway with flour, one halfway with fine breadcrumbs, and one with raw eggs scrambled with a fork. Completely submerge a piece of pork in the eggs, then cover completely with the flour, then the egg again, then with the breadcrumbs. Repeat at least twice. Once you have at least three prepared, set aside. Melt about a tablespoon of butter in the heated pan and when it is completely liquid, add the prepared slices. Turn every 5 minutes, removing a slice when it is golden brown, or darker depending on preferences. Add butter as needed.

Sauce:
Slowly heat up some butter in another pan,at medium-low. While butter is melting, slice and chop mushrooms. It should be a mix of fine slices, rough chops and tiny bits. Those bits will hopefully dissolve into the cream. When butter is hot, add mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms until you see brown liquid emitting from them. Transfer into same pan that had the Jaegerschnitzel, as the leftover batter bits is the key to making a great sauce. Make certain to Slowly add cream or half and half, adding some flour to thicken it. Alternate flour or dairy, reducing to very thick each time for a total of three times. Sauce should slowly drip off of sideways spoon.

DO NOT BURN the sauce.

Serve with Spaetzel or pasta, preferably warm.

Matza Brie
Ingredients:
Matzas(Not Chocolate)
Eggs
Butter
Water

First, crunch up matzas into bite-sized pieces until you have about a bowl. Add warm water to bowl until full and cover with a plate. While it's soaking warm up a skillet and add butter. Once Matzas bits are soaked, drain the water and add to skillet. When they start browning, add 1 egg per matza. Scramble continuously until fully cooked. Serve hot, with side of protein. Add black pepper or condiments as desired.

Last edited:
A couple of months back I bought a large, for Japan, bag of oats to make oatmeal and cookies, but I am looking for some recipes for savory dishes using rolled oats, do any of you know any good ones that aren't essentially congee?

A couple of months back I bought a large, for Japan, bag of oats to make oatmeal and cookies, but I am looking for some recipes for savory dishes using rolled oats, do any of you know any good ones that aren't essentially congee?
Have a collection of 65 oat recipes to try. To be fair, only some of them meet your criteria, but still.

Also, flourless banana oatmeal muffins.

And here's a collection of 70 or so oat recipes.

No guarantees about quality, but they at least seem good.

Oh, and Epicurious has a collection of 51 recipes here.

I hope they help.

Also, some types of oats can be added to soups or stews. For instance, this recipe is literally the first one I found that uses rolled oats specifically. Some of the soup recipes I found are basically congees, of course, but others -- like that one -- add them as a chunky ingredient.

I hope they help.

Also, some types of oats can be added to soups or stews. For instance, this recipe is literally the first one I found that uses rolled oats specifically. Some of the soup recipes I found are basically congees, of course, but others -- like that one -- add them as a chunky ingredient.
I already use oats for some stuff like soups, stews and similar stuff. I am looking for more savory options. I am pretty sure that the oats that I got aren't good for cooking it as if it was rice, I mixed it with white rice and barley and cooked it and I am pretty sure that the oats melted, cause I didnt really taste or felt a difference in texture other than the barley grains.

I sometimes make congee/porridge using chicken stock, onions and some other ingredients to make savory porridge, but honestly I want recipes where the oats have more texture than mush or melted through the recipe.

On a unrelated note I plan on making a smoothie with some leftover peanut butter and either oatmilk or just oats on it later.

I already use oats for some stuff like soups, stews and similar stuff. I am looking for more savory options. I am pretty sure that the oats that I got aren't good for cooking it as if it was rice, I mixed it with white rice and barley and cooked it and I am pretty sure that the oats melted, cause I didnt really taste or felt a difference in texture other than the barley grains.

I sometimes make congee/porridge using chicken stock, onions and some other ingredients to make savory porridge, but honestly I want recipes where the oats have more texture than mush or melted through the recipe.

On a unrelated note I plan on making a smoothie with some leftover peanut butter and either oatmilk or just oats on it later.
You can adapt the recipe to add the oats later down the line. If you're adding a lot of other ingredients, you aren't reliant on adding the oats early on in the cooking.

I mean, there are plenty of savory soups and stews? My Irish beef stew, for instance, certainly isn't sweet.

Well, maybe in the carrots. Still.

If your oats are melting and you don't want them to, you're overcooking them. Just add them later in the process. Cook them less to get them chewier; cook them more to get them softer.

Have you considered using marmite with your oats?
I am not too keen on marmite. I admit that I might have used it wrong in the past but I found it too bitter for my liking. I was considering buying some more recently to try and use it like a bullion cube type thing to add more depth to some meat dishes, but is quite expensive for small jars here in Japan when I can find it.

You can adapt the recipe to add the oats later down the line. If you're adding a lot of other ingredients, you aren't reliant on adding the oats early on in the cooking.
So far other than the stew type recipes, cookie baking and the traditional porridge type ones, I used the oats mixed with rice and barley on the rice cooker as a way to bulk up the rice and make it more nutritious and filling. I dont know why, but rice dont really fills me up for as long as other carbs which is very annoying because I end eating more.

I mean, there are plenty of savory soups and stews? My Irish beef stew, for instance, certainly isn't sweet.

Well, maybe in the carrots. Still.

If your oats are melting and you don't want them to, you're overcooking them. Just add them later in the process. Cook them less to get them chewier; cook them more to get them softer.
As I mentioned in the above reply I cooked the oats with the rice in the rice cooker in a faster cooking setting alongside barley. Maybe what I have is quick oats, it is in Japanese and in the package claims to be made for the Japanese market, so it might be that. The translation app doesnt translate it well enough to tell me if it is steel cut oats, quick oats, overnight oats or what it is exactly, so I am playing catch up with it.

As I mentioned in the above reply I cooked the oats with the rice in the rice cooker in a faster cooking setting alongside barley. Maybe what I have is quick oats, it is in Japanese and in the package claims to be made for the Japanese market, so it might be that. The translation app doesnt translate it well enough to tell me if it is steel cut oats, quick oats, overnight oats or what it is exactly, so I am playing catch up with it.
Quick oats are usually precooked, which would complicate things quite a bit, yes. You seem to be having a somewhat different problem than I was trying to help with, though: The various types of oats really aren't interchangeable in a lot of cases.

Broadly speaking, there are four common types of oats: whole oats, steel cut oats, rolled oats, and quick oats. You can see an image comparison of the last three here:

Oats.jpg

Whole oats are the most straightforward: they're either the grain or the groat (AKA "berry") of the oat kernel. They're the hardest to find here in the US, to the point that they're often omitted from discussion... but they're still sold at markets -- basically anywhere you'd get whole wheat kernels or similar. Still, a lot of discussions (e.g. this one) omit them.

If they're steel cut, the groat is then chopped into pieces -- usually 2-3, although the machines they use aren't terribly precise.

If they're rolled, the groat is steamed, rolled between rollers to flatten it, and then lightly toasted to stabilize it.

If they're quick oats, they're steamed a good bit more than rolled oats, and then flattened a good bit more to minimize cooking time.

This means that whole and steel cut oats have vastly different cooking times (and flavors) than the other types. Moreover, instant oats are sold specifically so they don't need much (or any) cooking to turn into porridge. In other words, they're already almost entirely cooked in the package -- and really just need to be rehydrated.

Anyway, the key indicators regarding which type you have are shape and color. If you take a look at that spoilered image, it should help a bit.

And then, once you know what you have, you can hopefully figure out what to do with them.

Quick oats are usually precooked, which would complicate things quite a bit, yes. You seem to be having a somewhat different problem than I was trying to help with, though: The various types of oats really aren't interchangeable in a lot of cases.

Broadly speaking, there are four common types of oats: whole oats, steel cut oats, rolled oats, and quick oats. You can see an image comparison of the last three here:

Oats.jpg

Whole oats are the most straightforward: they're either the grain or the groat (AKA "berry") of the oat kernel. They're the hardest to find here in the US, to the point that they're often omitted from discussion... but they're still sold at markets -- basically anywhere you'd get whole wheat kernels or similar. Still, a lot of discussions (e.g. this one) omit them.

If they're steel cut, the groat is then chopped into pieces -- usually 2-3, although the machines they use aren't terribly precise.

If they're rolled, the groat is steamed, rolled between rollers to flatten it, and then lightly toasted to stabilize it.

If they're quick oats, they're steamed a good bit more than rolled oats, and then flattened a good bit more to minimize cooking time.

This means that whole and steel cut oats have vastly different cooking times (and flavors) than the other types. Moreover, instant oats are sold specifically so they don't need much (or any) cooking to turn into porridge. In other words, they're already almost entirely cooked in the package -- and really just need to be rehydrated.

Anyway, the key indicators regarding which type you have are shape and color. If you take a look at that spoilered image, it should help a bit.

And then, once you know what you have, you can hopefully figure out what to do with them.
The one that I have looks more like the one to the right of the picture, the more chopped one, if anything it looks a little more chopped than in the picture. It is from the Don Quijote brand Jonetz, I cant post any pics here and some of the few links go to either facebook or redit, and the redit ones go straight to political flaming so I wont post those here.

Must have used a lot then. A small teaspoonful is enough for a large... pot? Bowl?
I dont recall the amount because it was years ago, but it was on bread and with butter, but I didnt use a lot, it was tip of butter knife. Like I said I am curious on trying it now in other uses, but it is expensive and hard to find here.

WRT the oats, you can incorporate 2 batches.

The first batch, cooked early, to add bulk.

The second batch, added late, to give texture.

You'll need to adjust the ratios based on the ingredients you have, since even ostensibly the same ingredient might be made differently in some few ways.

I dont recall the amount because it was years ago, but it was on bread and with butter, but I didnt use a lot, it was tip of butter knife. Like I said I am curious on trying it now in other uses, but it is expensive and hard to find here.
Yeah, that was an acquired taste if it's on bread.
I find it's better if you use it as stock or add it to alr. finished soup or stew.
Shame that it's expensive in Japan.

The second batch, added late, to give texture.

Unfortunately, he apparently has quick oats. That garbage won't give any texture no matter how late you add it. Even porridge made with quick oats is basically wallpaper paste.

Try mixing:

1/3 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup quick or rolled oats
2 eggs

and then treating it as you would pancake batter with whatever non-sweet toppings you might like.

Sorry, best I can do with constraints of using quick oats, wanting something that isn't a blatant dessert, and not wanting more porridge.

Georgian Fried Potatoes - Horus Lupercal New
Alright, here's the way we Georgians enjoy fried potatoes.
The ingredients and needed cookware
  1. One stainlesssteel pan
  2. One spoon of avarge size so that you can move around the potatoes
  3. The primary ingredient is potatoes. The number of potatoes varies depending on the size of the pan, whether you're making food for yourself or others, or even the size of the potatoes.
  4. Next ingredient is onions they add very delightful taste to the potato's but if you don't like them they can be ignored
  5. The primary oil should definitely be sunflower oil, as it adds to the richness of the dish.
  6. Next is the seasoning salt, which is necessary, while I also like adding paprika.

Now for the cooking itself, the pan should be first laced with sunflower oil before adding potatoes, but the pan should not yet be put on the heat until the potatoes are inside the pen.

The potatoes themselves must be cut into a variety of thin cubic like slices.
Now the slices should be put into a bowl, and then salt should be sprayed on them. Once this is done, use your hands to move the potatoes around the bowl so that salt is spread nicely between them.

Repeat this step for paprika.
Now also start slicing onions, but I recommend peeling first the outer layer of skin and putting them in the fridge for at least ten minutes to remove tear problems.

Now the onions should be cut into medium slices, but they should not be added to the potatoes until they're almost done, or they'll have the worst taste.

Now put the pen on medium heat and put on its led. You should also periodically stir it, and when it has a slight red look, add onions, but make sure not to red-fry them or burn them the potatoes.

Now give onions little bit of time and then it's done I'd also recommend having alongside this this good cucumbers with their skin peeled off.
And you can eat it with ether ketchup or without it or if you're local supermarket has it doubtful Tkemali an native georgian sauce

Going to have to look through this for various recipes, but first: a quick and simple drink I've found to help me kick soda loosely based off switchel/haymaker's punch:
1 quart of hot water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
honey to taste (I prefer ~1 tablespoon, raw honey is best)

Stir until the honey dissolves, add in the ACV, pour over ice or leave in fridge.

Optional: use the water to make your choice of tea before adding the honey and ACV.

Going to have to look through this for various recipes, but first: a quick and simple drink I've found to help me kick soda loosely based off switchel/haymaker's punch:
1 quart of hot water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
honey to taste (I prefer ~1 tablespoon, raw honey is best)

Stir until the honey dissolves, add in the ACV, pour over ice or leave in fridge.

Optional: use the water to make your choice of tea before adding the honey and ACV.
oh yeah, a Switchel. i like to toss in some ginger as well.

Hmm, I tried this after having a rather greasy dinner (ft. fried fish, and stir-fried veggies + roast pork).
It tastes good, and removes that weird fishy aftertaste.
Thanks for the idea!

Karak chai recipe.

Well, I call it a recipe, but it's honestly not that hard.

For one cup of tea, boil half a tablespoon of black tea (brand really doesn't matter, nobody in the subcontinent truly gives a shit about the brand, it's all in the preparation) and some green cardamom pods that you've split open for about 3–5 minutes. Add half a cup of milk, boil further on medium heat until the milk starts climbing up the sides of the pot. Take it off the heat, wait for the milk to settle down, then put it back up on the heat and wait for it to start climbing the sides again. Add sugar to taste—although a tablespoon's a safe bet. If you're particularly daring, add the barest hint of some salt, like half a pinch. Salt makes the tea taste warm, for lack of a better description.

Other things you can add in when you start boiling the tea include ginger, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, etc. Really, it's just a matter of finding the combination that suits you best. That said, I personally love green cardamom and think it's the best spice in sweet things. It's super fragrant and just somehow makes sweet things just so much sweeter.

Also, something I like to do as a fun thing is to caramelize the sugar in the pot first, and then make the tea over it. It's not necessary, and honestly I don't think it does anything to the taste. It's kinda a pain in the ass, especially when the temperature starts climbing up to "fuck you in particular" degrees Celsius. I still do it because, well, it looks cool as fuck and gives me an excuse to practice making caramel.

Stupidly simple grilled chicken recipe for fools like me. It's a modified version of a Greek chicken gyro recipe from Recipetin Eats. This makes two portions.

Total cooking time, excluding marination and defrosting, works out to between 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the amount of prep work you need to do.

Ingredients
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts + 2 chicken tenderloins (note, I usually get joined breasts with tenders attached and break them down. You can get them already broken down, or break them down yourself)
1 tbsp yoghurt (preferably Greek or a similarly thick one, but whatever you have on hand works)
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp vinegar, or 1 tsp vinegar and 1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp salt
1/4 to 1/2 tbsp red chilli powder (sub black pepper if you prefer)

Instructions
Butterfly the breasts. Just lay 'em down skin-side down and cut along the side until you've almost split it in half.

Mix everything but the chicken until you end up with a marinade.

Toss the chicken with the marinade until coated completely. You can cook this immediately or leave it to marinade for up to 24 hours in advance.

Heat up about 1 tablespoon of oil or butter on medium-low heat for a minute, then lay down 1 chicken breast and 1 tenderloin and start a timer for three minutes.

After the timer rings, flip the chicken and wait for about a minute, two at most, then make a cut in the thickest part of the breast. If the meat's pink, cook it for 30 seconds more and check again, and if it's completely white all the way through then it's done.

Move it onto a plate and repeat with the rest of the chicken if you're feeling really hungry, or you can save that for later. You don't need to wait the full minute for the oil to heat up if you decide to use up the chicken, just give it about 30 seconds or so.

Now, you could absolutely just leave it at that and call it a day, but grilling chicken on a pan tends to leave absolutely awful fond on the bottom of it (that's the brown stuff that looks like your pan was caramelizing alongside your chicken). You could absolutely leave it behind, or you could make a simple sauce by sauteing a diced shallot, pouring out about a half-cup of stock, and scraping with a spatula until the fond dissolves. It basically saves you a considerable amount of scraping later on.

You can serve the chicken in a salad, between slices of toasted bread or buns, as is with a sauce, or however else you want. One breast and one tenderloin is one serving portion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back