1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

Here I thought I had already lost all faith in humanity. Turns out, I had a little left after all! Had.

2. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

To be fair, it's worth noting that they apparently haven't been able to book any A-list acts (and, frankly, some of the acts they've booked aren't even significant enough to merit a Wikipedia page).

They're also apparently only selling 2.5k tickets -- and the venue seats 10k.

Also, at least one of the acts they booked -- Nonpoint -- dropped the show in protest of how they'd named the thing, which I suppose means that they won't be opening with this.

Snark aside, further coverage is available here and here.

3. Valikdu

Valikdu Not too sore, are you?

Well, we have a steady decrease here. Really hoping that yesterday (what with the Victory parade and such) won't result in a big climb, and that the events that were rescheduled for August can actually take place. The last event that I'd filmed anything at has been in March and I'm running out of good footage.

4. bryanfran36

bryanfran36 Experienced.

Blargh.

The Philippines has now over 33,000 cases and is still expected to rise.

5. Aleh

My results came back negative. That's good.

On the other hand, Mom just invited my brother's family over and informed me in a "they're on the way" manner.

This would, to be clear, be the same brother whose wife tested positive for COVID last week. Mom's saying things are fine because they apparently retested as negative.

... seriously?!

6. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Consider renting a motel and staying there for two or three weeks.

7. MadGreenSon

[​IMG]

8. Aleh

That requires more than fifteen minute' notice.

And money.

Too late. As I write this, the visit's already happened. The sum total of her concessions to my opinion (which included pointing out that the entire affair was directly contrary to CDC advice, with links) was that they stayed outside during the thing.

9. MadGreenSon

I live in Florida. As time has gone on it has gotten progressively more difficult to keep my lung compromised father from running out to do whatever. I feel your pain, I know what it's like to deal with a parent that seemingly wants to die.

10. Aleh

The problem being that she wants to take me down with her.

11. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

Well. If you get it, try to think odds are you'd have been infected sooner or later anyway. We all will be, there's no point on denying it.

Try to survive it and then enjoy your three estimated months of immunity.

12. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

Aleh is also in the significantly high risk group, so that’s not really a comfort.

me-meboi likes this.
  13. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

I didn't know that.

For the record I'm in a middle risk group and the two relatives I live with are high risk, so I can sympathize and I'm terrified myself, but by now I'm convinced there's no escape and sooner or later we all will get it before an actual solution is found.

me-meboi and LurkingInTheDeceit like this.
  14. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

I get that feeling of helplessness/defeatism, with how infectious it is and how little some people seem to care about spreading it. Just gotta hope that the vaccine will be ready and distributed before you catch it, while taking all the steps you can to stay safe. Just gotta remain hopeful.

15. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

Life has taught me hope is good for one thing and one thing only.

DISAPPOINTMENT.

There's not a single time when being hopeful hasn't bit me in the ass by turning into disappointment.

Yuhabahha, bryanfran36 and me-meboi like this.
  16. Aleh

The more immediate issue is that I had to reschedule an urgent cardiologist's appointment (note: I had an urgent cardiologist's appointment) due to my sister-in-law's test result.

The new appointment is scheduled for Wednesday.

This means that I'm going to have to call their office on Monday, explain the circumstances, and possibly reschedule... again.

This for an urgent cardiology appointment relevant to events on June 15.

17. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

Maybe you should arrange for a way to get a meeting regardless since, if you are infected, looking after your condition becomes even more important. There should be a way to establish emergency control for previously existing conditions in patients.

me-meboi, evildice and TanaNari like this.
  18. Aleh

This is a chart of COVID cases in my state since the outbreak began:
    [​IMG]
    I think the graph speaks for itself.

Moreover, a cardiologist's office is, pretty much by definition, a gathering of people at risk for serious issues if they get infected. I cannot blame them for being extremely cautious about bringing in people who might be infected.

Prince Chrom and me-meboi like this.
  19. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

At this point anyone might be infected (and I treat everyone around me as if they are carriers), if they are doing that they might as well not treat anyone, that still doesn't mean people with previously existing conditions that are further risk factors should be denied their rights to be treated.

It just means they have to step up and come with ways to treat such patients without spreading infections.

That might be said about everything, really. We have to find ways to actually do things without spreading this, we can't just depend on not doing things period, because that's a long term unrealistic and unreachable goal.

me-meboi likes this.
  20. Aleh

The first part of this is standard procedures that should be placed everywhere. The second part misses the point: Going to a gathering place for at-risk people when you know you might be infected is both fucking stupid and a demonstration of moral turpitude.

The issue at hand isn't my right to be treated. It's the fact that I (by virtue of my family being douchebags) cannot follow basic infection control and risk reduction procedures.

21. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

But you know you might be infected no matter what. For all intents and purposes any of us at any point are infected and we just don't know it yet. Even people following the most strict procedures have gotten infected anyway; I have spoken online with such people.

The sooner we as a society wrap our heads around that and find ways to function with it rather than 'let's not function until this is gone' the better, because this isn't going to go away any time before our limit, our collective breaking point, as a global society.

me-meboi and TanaNari like this.
  22. Aleh

There's a difference between general issues and ignoring a quarantine on someone with a positive test result.

Edit: On reflection, there's a direct ethical analogue to this situation, one which I've discussed in detail before: The dilemma pediatricians face when dealing with the children of antivaxxers.

This has been discussed extensively elsewhere, so I'm not going to get into it, but the short version is that I cannot blame the physicians who refuse treatment under either set of circumstances.

I can, however, be absolutely furious with my mother for putting me in that position.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  23. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

The more people get infected, and many more will get infected even among those who try their best to follow all rules because no plan ever is infallible, the more of them with previous conditions will die if said conditions aren't treated if said conditions are left unchecked and worsen the virus' outcome.

If you want to be one of those people who die because of that that's your right to decide, but others might think differently.

me-meboi and TanaNari like this.
  24. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Black death killed 50% of population,spanish flu maybe 5%.Now,we had something like 0,02%.Each death is tragedy,but...In my country/Poland/ more people died in the same time in 2019 then in 2020.
    Certainly It is not pandemy.

25. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

Pandemic (Adj): (of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world.

Pandemic (Noun): an outbreak of a pandemic disease.

It's a disease that spread rapidly across the globe. It is a pandemic by definition. Death toll isn't a factor in Pandemics. Statements like this are unhelpful, especially as you're saying "Oh well not a lot of people died in my country so it's not a big deal."

Prince Chrom, Dakkaface, DDNt and 3 others like this.
  26. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Just heard this on spotify and found it on youtube. Thought I should share it even though it's a 3 months old song. Still relevant though.

27. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

And saying "at least the death rate isn't 50% of all people" doesn't help any either.

Prince Chrom and me-meboi like this.
  28. Hadrian810

Hadrian810 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Playing Our Roles by The Grim Blade is a Roman centered gamer fic that I've been enjoying. Fairly far along to as many sputter out before 50k words. Posted an update today that he has the virus.

bryanfran36 likes this.
  29. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

By roman-centered, do you mean it takes place in the roman age or The Game draws its stuff from roman mythology?

Pef likes this.
  30. Hadrian810

Hadrian810 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ahh sorry. It's a RWBY fic self insert of Roman Torchwick