• A notice about Rule 3 regarding sites hosting pirated/unauthorized content has been made. Please see here for details.
  • Staff is working to deal with the problem of synonymous tags. See here for more information and to suggest tag mergers.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.

Deleting threads?

Daytripper

Connoisseur.
Joined
Apr 23, 2017
Messages
19,246
Likes received
221,761
Can it be possible to delete threads? I have a sea of abandoned fics that I don't want cluttering my back log because of my ADHD. Because of that I don't think people can trust me to finish a work and so that's why I want them gone.
 
Lots of people have a "snips that I'm not sure if they're going to go anywhere" thread to contain ideas like that. You could use one of those to corral any future ideas.
Also potentially have the mods merge all the existing ones into one such thread. I forget if that was possible on XF1 or if that was an XF2 exclusive thing though.
 
Merging threads is possible on XF1, just a couple weeks ago a thread that was started in SFW General was merged with the movie rants thread.
 
Not sure where else to ask this without starting a new thread, but I plan on editing out my stories. So, would putting up a notice on my older stories be considered necroing? I'd like to give some of my readers a heads-up before moving anything. I'm assuming I'd have to limit it, however.
 
Not sure where else to ask this without starting a new thread, but I plan on editing out my stories. So, would putting up a notice on my older stories be considered necroing? I'd like to give some of my readers a heads-up before moving anything. I'm assuming I'd have to limit it, however.
What Taco said, however this:
Also, people get upset when you delete shit they liked, even if you aren't planning on finishing it.
This is very much true. While your choice is your choice, I strongly discourage people from removing stuff they've written without a very good reason, like if it's getting published and the publisher wants it removed from free sites (per Casualfarmer), or you need to clean things up so prospective publishers for something else don't find you icky (per Ack).

Even if you look back on those stories now and find them to be icky old shames, not everybody agrees with you that they're bad. There is usually some good to them worth preserving, and it's not a bad thing to have a history you and others can look back on to see how your writing has improved.

Of course, like I said your choice is your choice. This isn't a statement I'm making as a mod, it's something I'm saying as a fellow writer and user.
 
Even if you look back on those stories now and find them to be icky old shames, not everybody agrees with you that they're bad. There is usually some good to them worth preserving, and it's not a bad thing to have a history you and others can look back on to see how your writing has improved.

Of course, like I said your choice is your choice. This isn't a statement I'm making as a mod, it's something I'm saying as a fellow writer and user.

This, honestly.

One of my greatest regrets as a writer is getting rid of my old stuff. Specifically, the stories I wrote back when I first started. They were absolutely horrible. Objectively, they were garbage. Bad spelling, few paragraphs, and whole lot of ''Kid has seen the general shape of a story and knows what it's supposed to look like from the outside but has no idea how to actually build one.''

When I got better and started to get an actual following as a writer, I nuked them because I thought they made me look bad but only later did I realise they represented something I would never be able to get back. Those stories were my first, stumbling attempts to write and to create and while they were horrible, I wouldn't be where I am without them. To this day, I wish I had them to reflect on and as a solid reminder of how far I've come.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top