1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dwarf of Bronze (ZnT/AU)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TotalAbsolutism, Dec 12, 2015.

1. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

Mm. All of the things they do have a unified ruleset to them, and a lot of the details aren't readily apparent. What happened here has a set of simple explanations that are, nevertheless, rooted in an inhuman level of stealth. But the explanation here is more or less simple; the Red Man entered the room with the tea and concealed himself directly behind Mott.

When the blood-detection spell was used that caused it to not recognise him due to the interference of Mott's own body; a flaw he'd never noticed in the past due to, more or less, his own inexperience.

Everything else is a combination of terror-psychoses and a bit of weird fuckery I'll explain... eventually.

2. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

Blood & Wolf:
    On the one hand, I can appreciate the bait and switch. On the other, couldn't she just move the powder and ball to her other, working pistol?
    Maybe Albionese don't do the Spring Summon Ritual? Because that thing calls weird enough shit that wolves are the least of it.
    They don't even have names! These poor bastards have no chance.
    Halkeginian Elves ARE pretty bullshit, even for Fantasy Elves.
    It took me a second to figure out that you meant 'the blood was human', not 'the dire wolf was human'.
    led.

tighearnach likes this.
  3. TotalAbsolutism

No; the only reason it wouldn't go off when sparking would be if the powder was wet. There's no way to fire it.
    In his AU at least you're unlikely to get something quite so mundane as a mere Wolf, yes.
    Herpaderp. I may rephrase. Also; Dire? Hue.
    Fixed.

tighearnach and vyor like this.
  4. Guile

Bronze & Wanting:
    I wonder why. Is he disappointed he's still not very commoner like, or that he's getting too commoner, or does he have something against banana?
    Princess's, I believe.
    What a bizarre world we live in, where Louise is trying to become a mage-knight like her mom.
    I wonder who got permission for the students to skip classes to attend knight training, Wardes? The Princess?
    Longueville as a Line Air Mage, that's awesome. She must be at least a Triangle Earth mage to fake being Line Air, right? Square Earth, probably. How like a gentleman thief.

tighearnach likes this.
  5. Guile

Blood & Wanting, second half:
    Possibly one with the other.
    Weirdly, it's 'benefited', not 'benefitted'. English, man.
    That's neat. I don't think canon ever really does anything with Derf being several thousand years old, except that Brimir's familiar made him. His wielders being in tales of courtly romance or whatever is cool.
    Guiche, when Colbert is hiding behind cover and Kenneth starts running, you do not stand there and ask about classes.
    You are a braver man than I, Guiche de Gramont. The love potion fiasco is the absolute nadir of the Montmorency character.
    That does explain a few things. Nice setup, I didn't even recognize it when Kirche started throwing herself at Louise.

tighearnach and TotalAbsolutism like this.
  6. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Nope, if it ends with an "s" it's just '.

7. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

No, the semi-colon is definitely incorrect.

Grammar, yes, because the character doing the speaking is fallible; punctuation, no, because it exists only in written form, so it is the province of the (notionally) perfect author.

8. TotalAbsolutism

I don't know about that. Since it could also be written with the "If you like" after a full stop I think it's still fine? I'll read my grammar rules a bit more and mull it over.

He's thinking about the fact that he does enjoy a common peasant food, but only because of the expensive extras he can afford to have with it. More or less, he's gaining a little social consciousness.
    A single apostrophe is appropriate for proper nouns ending in S. Well, it's grammatically correct at least.
    The latter. War is brewing, after all.
    More or less; she's Triangle bordering on Square, at this point in time.
    On the one hand, he's an overly romantic fool still. On the other hand, he's still planning to toss her on the tender mercies of Kenneth. Soooo...

tighearnach and Guile like this.
  9. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

Only if it is a plural which ends in 's'.

'If you like.' is not a complete sentence. It is a sentence fragment. So a comma is the grammatically correct option. If you put a period there instead, I would read it as a significant pause between the end of the main sentence and that fragment, which turns it into an afterthought: 'Stop by the Capitol when you have your holidays, lad. You know, if you feel like it.' That would be grammatically incorrect, but only in as much as the spoken phrase it is representing is incorrect. A semi-colon fulfil neither of these roles.

10. Guile

This is true, although some sources (newspapers) will have s-apostrophe after a proper noun, like Jones', or Texas'.

So I guess there's enough wriggle room on Princess it could go either way.

11. Threadmarks: Bronze and Zero: Grieving
    TotalAbsolutism

Guiche cried. He was unashamed of it. His hands clutched the hand-written missive and he sobbed into the paper. Montmorency had pressed herself against his back and had nestled her face into the crook of his neck. She said nothing. He couldn’t speak.

Without her support he’d have likely collapsed into the bed right now. The room was Wardes’; the Viscount had volunteered it to the young man before excusing himself. Kenneth had been with him for a time; awkwardly patting him on the shoulder now and then but saying nothing. He’d left when Mon-Mon had come in; collected directly from the Academy by Griffon-back.

The worst part of it wasn’t the feeling of loss. Until recently Guiche had never felt all that close with his father. That they’d finally started to reconnect, to reforge their filial relationship, was merely an added nail in a coffin of suffering. What hurt even worse than that was the sense of injustice. Of unfairness.

He’d managed to hold himself together after the official notice had arrived. It wasn’t until the personal missive had arrived from the family’s head butler that he’d broken down. The details were laid clear; his brother, Francisque, had stabbed his father in the back with a long dagger.

For now, his father was alive. Whether that would last was… hard to say. He’d wanted to rush to his estates immediately when the official notice had arrived but both Kenneth and Wardes had advised leaving in the morning. If this were enemy action, the worst possible scenario, then this could be a two-fold trap. Taking out the military leaders and then assassinating their elite Knight Corps-in-Training would be a coup for whomever was responsible.

Of course, intellectually, he’d agreed. It was eminently sensible. Unfortunately, it had taken the combined efforts of Wardes, Kenneth and Saito to restrain him without hurting him and forcibly confine him to this room. When Montmorency had arrived he’d been so tense his fingernails had cut into the skin of his palms; they’d held him down and forced a potion down his throat.

… it had helped. His body had gone numb and his arms and legs had stopped tensing so much. Then the tears had come. She’d bandaged his hands as he sobbed and then clung to his side and supported him. He’d likely be grateful later. Right now all he could feel was a mixture of endless sorrow and pure hatred.

There had been a time when Guiche had thought he hated Mott for what he was. In truth, he’d felt a mixture of naked contempt and disgusted pity; because he’d seen in Mott a potential path that he could have followed in the future. Certainly he’d been angry at the man’s actions, but this…

Between the fears for his father and the writhing agony at his own impotence Guiche found his mind consumed with thoughts of finding the person responsible for this and skewering them on his mother’s sword. In his mind he could see a moment with crystal clarity; some shadowy figure begging for mercy at his feet as he pulled his arm back and just thrust. There was never any resistance, of course.

It disgusted him to think this way. Yet it made him feel better on some level. Even while the woman he loved comforted him, while his mentor travelled desperately towards the Capitol to fetch the most skilled healer that money could buy, while one of his closest friends suffered a similar agony only a few rooms over there was just one thing that he could think about

Whomever was responsible for this would pay.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​

It was difficult for Louise to think straight given the warm mass pressing into her back. To be fair; that was part of why she’d put herself into this situation in the first place. Nothing untoward had occurred, of course not, but the presence of the other person in her bed did provide a certain form of… comfort. A soft brown arm draped itself over her as Zerb-... Kirche snuggled closer in her sleep.

Louise was many things. Impulsive, yes. Occasionally thoughtless. Studious yet standoffish. None of the myriad of traits that could be applied to her, however, made her stupid. Nor did they make her unobservant. She’d picked up on Kirche’s changes in behaviour some time ago and, after a modicum of denial, had eventually connected them to the kinds of behaviour one would expect in a lovestruck teen.

After paying a visit to the library, and eventually asking Saito to collect some books she was too embarrassed to check out herself, she’d discovered a variety of literature on the subject that varied from the historical to the risque. Apparently it wasn’t entirely an unknown phenomenon; nor entirely frowned upon, as such. Brimiric traditions had little to nothing to say on the subject, although the Church itself seemed to frown upon it.

She sighed and gently lifted Kirche’s arm; sliding out of the larger girl’s embrace a moment later. There was a fluffy gown for her to pull on nearby that had been sourced by her inestimable familiar. He’d been… helpful. Jean-Jacques had given her Miss Longueville’s old room to make use of given… the situation. He’d also offered to fly her to her estates in the morning.

Her face hurt. She slipped out of the room, leaving Kirche to grope blindly in her sleep at the empty space, and headed outside. The chapter house had a second floor for the actual rooms meant for the officers. There was a balcony that looked out over the courtyard that she found her way on to; leaning against the balustrade and staring off towards the moonlight.

There was a quiet movement behind her; deliberately audible, she was sure. Louise had no idea how long she’d been standing there. Clearly long enough. A pale young man wearing a red coat slipped in beside her and offered a steaming mug of hot tea.

“Can’t sleep either, Saito?” She smirked at him and took the cup. One sniff told her that it was her favourite flavour. Of course it was. His expression didn’t change at her attempt to tease him. Because of course it didn’t.

“I felt you might need something, my lady.” It was hard not to sigh. Even now he still held himself at arm’s length. After everything that had happened… she couldn’t help but drift into her memories for a moment. Weeks of effort, training, exercise and practice. Maybe she couldn’t cast properly, even now, but she could certainly blast a practice dummy into splinters.

“Saito… did you have… I mean… have you ever…?” There was a long moment of silence as he stared into the distance with her. She kept glancing over at his face as if hoping to catch some change in expression.

“You oughtn’t be so cruel to Miss Zerbst, my lady.” The new direction promptly crashed her carriage of thought. Was she be cruel? That was… difficult. Certainly she didn’t have feelings for Kirche like… that. Of course not. That would be madness. Surely Kirche knew that? And yet…

It had been nice. In its own way. Safe. Jean-Jacques had tried to comfort her but she’d just felt awkward with him. When it was Kirche she didn’t feel… uneasy. Maybe it was just because they were both women? That, and… well, for as much as she’d derided them in the past she did have to admit that resting on the taller girl’s chest was rather comfortable.

“She said you and Kenneth had spoken to her about the cultures in your homeworld. Apparently it’s more... normal there.” The explanation she’d given had been nervous and joking but Louise had been able to read between the lines. It was like a confession without the actual confession, in a way. Saito remained silent for some time before responding. She sipped her tea as she waited.

“In the Jensani culture of the Western Azekara there are usually anywhere from three to five mature women for every male. So it is reasonably common there. Otherwise; most cultures do not have any particular problem with it.” He shrugged. “I’ve never had much cause to be concerned about those things.” Louise watched him quietly as he watched the moon in the distance.

“Saito… how do you feel about me?” This time she could almost see him stiffening. Really, though, it was the opposite; she could see him noticeably relax as he fought not to betray any of his feelings.

“You are my liege. I am beholden to you, my lady, and will serve you unto my end.” The pink-haired girl pouted at him and leaned in closer. He didn’t move; merely standing awkwardly in place as she used him as a support. Moving would mean letting her fall over and clearly he was unwilling to do so.

“You know that’s not what I meant.” Her expression softened somewhat as she sighed. “Hold me.” His mouth opened to protest the impropriety of it and she scowled up at him again. “It’s cold! And that’s an order.” With a resigned expression, Saito put an arm around Louise and held her to his chest. Together they watched the stars for a time. Finally, he broke the silence.

“There was no reason for you to be kind to me. Nor to use me as anything other than a tool. When I was hurt you showed concern for me. You put your own autonomy at risk in order to help me when Siesta was… waylaid.” Louie flushed. Enlisting the help of Jean-Jacques hadn’t been that costly, really. More a matter of phrasing her pleas in the right way. They were already…

“My mother likes you. If I asked her she’d certainly allow you to marry Siesta.” For the first time she got a genuine reaction out of him; laughter. A dry, amused chuckle that was rather charming, she felt. “What? I thought you were smitten with her.” Saito shook his head.

“No, my lady. She is… family. Of a sort. We are not closely related, but it would be… inappropriate.” Ah, yes. She did vaguely recall him saying something to that effect in the past. Hmph. Well, he certainly deserved something for his loyalty, surely.

“Well, I’ll certainly speak to mother about it when we see her. I’m sure a suitable wife could be found. Wouldn’t you want to be-” Strong arms curled around her and braced her hands against the mug. They’d been trembling. She hadn’t even noticed.

“... Louise…” His voice was quiet in her ear. He felt unreasonably warm where he was pressed against her back. Her legs felt like they could barely hold her. “Your mother will be fine.” Streaks of heat poured down her face. It hurt. So much. One trembling hand pulled away from the drink, from him, and tried to wipe her face. Stupid girl… it had taken Kirche hours to get her to stop.

Saito wiped her tears with a soft handkerchief, and rested his chin atop her head. She’d never noticed quite how tall he was; compared to her, at least. The warmth of his body suffused her and the ache in her chest lessened slightly. He tucked away the kerchief and moved to gently stroke her hair. Had anyone happened upon them they might have jumped to all sorts of conclusions… but Louise didn’t care right now.

“I will protect you, Louise, and your family; with all that I am. And should I fail… I swear that no force shall be able to keep those who have hurt you from feeling my wrath.” The last sentence fell with all the weight of a divine proclamation. Not a threat… just a calm statement backed up by a towering wave of hatred. It implicitly carried within it the sense of an ocean of blood about to be spilled.

She felt better, even so. Her trembling hand moved up to rest on his arm where it crossed her body. Louise leaned back into her familiar and stared at the lights in the sky.

“Will you stay with me?”

“... forever, my lady.”

12. TotalAbsolutism

Merry Christmas.

13. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Louise's harem grows.

14. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Curious, that Louise's first thought after accepting that Kirche seems to be attracted to her is to first see if such relationships are OK to indulge in. I say, Louise, you just might give a girl the wrong impression acting like that.

I'm a little surprised we didn't see more of Kenneth, but I'm sure he'll show up next time. This Saito continues to be rather ambiguous. Looking forward to getting a few more of the threads to his mystery.

15. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

As I said:
    I will laugh my ass off if that turns out to be the case.

16. TotalAbsolutism

Kenneth, oddly, has very little experience with this sort of thing. He's lost people; but never anyone he truly cared about in that way. The closest he has is the experience with his wife and given both he and she can live several hundred more years yet he's optimistic about seeing her again.
    By comparison; 'Saito', if nothing else, understands what it's like to lose people.

17. Threadmarks: Bronze and Responsibility
    TotalAbsolutism

Guiche’s shoulder slammed into the chest of the older Knght and knocked him back. Before the man had even hit the ground the young man had spun and swung his sword at the two behind him that were duelling with his Valkyries. The blade sliced through the ground effortlessly and dragged a thick chunk of dirt out with it as the Earth spell was channelled through it. Both constructs dodged out of the way with practiced ease as the ball began to animate mid-flight.

It struck the leftmost Knght’s shield as he tried to ward it off and practically exploded over him; the earth forming into coils that bound and pulled tight. With two valkyries backing him up it was the work of a moment to disarm the final fighter; even without using his superior equipment. He could have just sliced through the other man’s armour if he had to but Kenneth said it was bad to rely on that.

“Good work, lad. Ye can take a rest for now.” Said dwarf stepped into the courtyard and tossed a wet towel to his charge. Guiche took it, wiping his face as he moved away. His familiar started to unbind the Knghts while issuing the usual apologies. The young Gramont kept walking.

They’d been at the estate for almost a week now. A squad of Griffon Knights had been stationed here at the request of Viscount Wardes; who had resumed command of the group temporarily given the unfortunate demise of his successor turned predecessor. He’d been one of the unlucky ones.

He’d made great strides in these few days. Kenneth had admitted as much; albeit usually followed quickly by a sharp but and some sort of reprimand. It was starting to grow wearisome. Practice was important, and Wardes had said it was fine for the Knghts to assist him. He hadn’t hurt any of them. Even if he had, there was a healer on the premises. It wasn’t like she was doing anything use-...

Guiche frowned, and reined in the sharp thoughts. Healer Dumas was doing her best. He knew that. It’s just that there was little to be done. His father’s condition wasn’t worsening, much, but nor was it improving. The same went for Francisque. They were disturbingly similar, in fact.

His brother just sat in the room they’d secured him in. At first he’d been locked in one of the cellars but that had quickly proved unnecessary. Since… what had happened he hadn’t said a word. Barely even moved. The servants had to feed him. He just stared into space and trembled whenever Guiche tried to speak to him.

Father was worse. Armand had been losing weight quickly these past few days. They had to change his sheets every few hours due to the sweats and give him water almost constantly. The smell was ghastly. Miss Dumas said it was his body trying to fight off whatever poison had been on the knife; the sweat stank due to the impurities in his body being pushed out. Guiche wasn’t sure if he believed that.

Kenneth had tried what he could but there wasn’t much to be done. Toxins were hard no matter where you were, it seemed. The healing magic of Kelicho was almost miraculously powerful when it came to damage to flesh but, much like its Halkegenian counterpart, more or less useless with regards to unknown poisons.

He’d barely slept. When he wasn’t fighting he was in the family’s library pouring through the books. Guiche doubted he could identify the poison so simply as that but it felt better than doing… nothing. Kenneth kept carrying him back to bed whenever he passed out, and was always badgering him to eat as well. He knew it was just the dwarf’s way of tryng to help him, but even so…

By the fifth day he’d had enough.

“Kenneth. Collect my things; we’re leaving. There’s nothing I can do for my father here.” The dwarf frowned but, for once, didn’t question him. What few belongings he had were divided between the Knights’ griffons and then he himself saddled up behind one. Healer Dumas was left with instructions to send for anything she needed; money was, clearly, no object.

Kenneth himself would travel overland. He wouldn’t give up his tombstone and it was too heavy for a griffon to manage. With his endurance they’d arrive at much the same time regardless. The first step was the Undine Knights’ Chapter House and, from there, the Capitol. There was work to be done.

Karin Désirée de la Vallière née Maillart… was dying. Two of her daughters weren’t in much of a better state. Éléonore had been catatonic since the attack and Cattelya had suffered a fit from the stress of it all. The various apothecaries and healers had all said that if it weren’t for her father’s quick thinking then her mother would certainly be dead.

Unfortunately, Louse’s father wasn’t a properly trained healer himself. He was a Water Mage, yes, but affairs of state had left him far less practiced than his wife when it came to magic. Even now he remained somewhere between inconsolable and an emotional rock. When she’d arrived he’d pulled her into his arms and told her everything was going to be alright. That mother had survived worse than this.

He’d been shaking as he said it, though; and his eyes were very red. It didn’t help that there was precious little for them to do. Mother’s friends had materialised in droves; strange angry people with harsh expressions that seemed to get on very well with Saito. He’d taken to organising those without some sort of medical talent and they’d filled the grounds to the point where there was someone watching every window and door and corridor.

Then, much to her surprise, someone far more prestigious had arrived; Princess Henrietta, with the Royal Physician in two. Her childhood friend had held her close and they’d stayed together for a time. Louise had dared to let herself hope in those few, familiar moments. Apparently the Queen had ordered her to attend to the Duchess directly.

News was grim. Karin had been shot from point-blank range with a pistol that had been loaded rather haphazardly. Rather than a proper musket ball it had been filled with a handful of random metallic detritus of varying kinds; while this would ruin the weapon it had the effect of reducing Karin’s lower body to something more closely resembling mince than flesh. It had been a wonder that her father had been able to keep her alive at all.

Louise forced herself to listen to the explanation; no matter how awful it might be. Saito stood silently behind her, to one side, and the Princess hugged her arm and hid her face; unable to bear the brutality of what was being described to them. She didn’t blame her old friend. If it hadn’t been for her father’s ashen expression she didn’t know if she could have found the strength to listen herself.

Of course, it got worse from there. The scrap had been poisoned, or perhaps simply unclean, and thus the wound was now badly infected. Water magic enhanced the body’s natural rhythms and improved its ability to heal; things like disease and toxins were far more difficult to deal with. The best that they could do right now was to treat the symptoms and keep her as strong as possible; all the while hoping that she could fight off the ailment herself.

Henrietta couldn’t stay. She’d have to take part in meetings and such soon. When she left it had been with teary eyes and a heavy heart. As she went she’d left behind her ring; pushing it into Louise’s hands and urging her to use it if she ever needed to visit. She’d promised her old friend she would, but her words felt hollow even to her.

Days passed in monotony. When no further attacks came mother’s friends began to slip away. Perhaps to whatever they were doing before. Perhaps seeking justice for their comrade. She couldn’t say, and Saito certainly wasn’t talking. He stayed close to her at all times; attending to her every need even more diligently than usual. She’d scarcely think of something before he was already presenting it; be it a chair, a drink or an extra pillow.

Louise slept beside her mother’s bed.

It was the fifth day when he visited; though it felt like an eternity. Jean-Jacques, the Viscount Wardes. Her fiancé. Her father ought to have met him, but he refused to leave his wife’s side. She didn’t want to either but somebody had to. Tragedy did not mean one couldn’t act with dignity. Her mother would have wanted that.

“Viscount. To what do we owe this honour?”

“Are ye sure this is a good idea, lad?” It was the first time that Kenneth had spoken to him since their arrival in the Capitol. The little man had been uncharacteristically withdrawn, as of late. Guiche frowned as he straightened his cape and buffed his armour. In the mirror he could see his familiar’s worried face beneath the mass of ginger hair that adorned it.

“No. But I refuse to be left out of this, Kenneth. I have my father’s name and your experience to stand upon. That will have to do.” The breastplate was actually only half-finished; it merely covered his front, not his back. Guiche had settled for wearing his mail shirt underneath; after all, they were both plenty light enough. With his mother’s sword on his hip he looked like a proper knight.

The hat was Wardes’, of course, but the cloak was his own this time; though the style may be similar he’d had it emblazoned with the insignia of the Undine Knights. In his mind he’d intended to wear it upon his graduation and, so, had commissioned it not long after joining the Knightly Order. That seemed so long ago no.

He couldn’t help but turn the hat over in his hands. Thinking about the first time he’d ever really fought. Now he was walking straight into a far different, yet strangely similar, battle. Guiche put the hat on and surveyed himself in the silvered surface once more. The rose insignia on his chest glinted back at him.

“... ye look like a prop’r hero, lad.” Kenneth smiled; in spite of himself, perhaps. Guiche didn’t say anything. He just walked out of the room and left his familiar scrambling to catch up again. What did it matter if he looked like a hero? That wouldn’t help him here.

They marched side-by-side through the streets of the city. This time their lodgings were of a far higher quality and, thus, were reasonably close to the palace. His status as a Knight Novitiate was enough to get him through the gates with minimal fuss and he soon found himself within the palace.

He was willing to wait for an hour. Two, even. But his patience soon wore thin after that and he barged his way past the guards. He could hear Kenneth making more apologies for him behind him and that only redoubled his resolve. Suddenly; two guards levelled muskets at him from the end of a corridor.

“Please return to the waiting room, sir. You aren’t allowed in he-” The door behind them swung open and an old man in ill-fitting armour stepped out. His facial hair was unkempt and he looked rather haggard. Guiche vaguely recognised him; the soldiers certainly did given their quick salutes. “General Tréville, sir. This-” He waved a hand to cut them off, then looked to Guiche. The young man nodded his head.

“Hm. I know you. Armand’s youngest, yes?” Guiche nodded, and the General stroked his ragged moustache. From his memories the young noble recalled the man before him had retired from duty some ten years ago. Not that his presence here was unusual. “I appreciate your enthusiasm, boy, but we’ve matters well in ha-” Before he could finish Guiche cut him off; perhaps it was rude but it was necessary.

“I’ve memorised all of my father’s notes, and read all his journals. And my familiar-” At this, he gestured towards Kenneth where he stood beside him. The dwarf looked to be on the verge of charging the guards; which wasn’t the best look, but still. “Is some three hundred years old, sir, and has seen harsh fighting in his time. Please. We can help.” Tréville scratched at his chin with a frown. Then the door opened wider as a familiar figure appeared.

“Let him in, General.” The Count de Mott spoke with authority and confidence, eyeing boy and dwarf with an appraising air. “I will vouch personally for his tactical prowess. Young Guiche bested me in duel over a… minor personal matter some weeks ago. I’ve no doubt he will have useful insights.” Thusly presented with a politically expedient ‘out’, as it were, the General smiled and nodded.

“Very good. Well then, lad, if the Count is willing to vouch for you then I guess we’ll give you a chance. Founder knows we’re short on brainpower in here…” He couldn’t help but feel that last part ought to have been said a bit more quietly but as it stood Guiche wasn’t going to complain. Instead, he followed the General into the room.

In the room beyond there was already nearly six hundred years worth of military experience. It would have perhaps been a bit better if it wasn’t spread out between nearly twenty people. Apart from the Princess and the Queen there were a dozen people in varying ranks of military uniform, another half dozen in Knight’s equipment, a handful of mere nobles, the Count de Mott and a Cardinal whose name Guiche didn’t know. Currently the last of that listing was apparently arguing with half of the room.

“The Church cannot commit forces without evidence of wrongdoing! There is a delicate balance of power, and with preparations for the next Crusade already underwa-” The Cardinal was cut off by a stout man with thick sideburns. Guiche didn’t quite recall his name but he vaguely knew of him from his father’s parties as a child, and from the slew of interesting new words he and his brothers had learned while listening at the study door.

“Baldurdash! This is an attack on our sovereignty, plain and simple! Who else could be responsible for this but Germania, I ask you?” It took all of Guiche’s strength not to collapse onto the table in shock. The next speaker didn’t help matters; a young man with a weak chin and a nervous disposition.

“I say, Lord Dampierre‎ is right. The rebels in Albion are still consolidating; there’s no way they’d dare to seek war with a foreign power as of yet.” To Guiche’s growing horror there seemed to be a modicum of support for this idiocy; as demonstrated by a variety of nods and cries of ‘Hear hear’ from one half of the table. Mott sidled up beside him and sighed heavily.

“I realise we are… not on kindly terms, young master Gramont. However, the situation is dire. These imbeciles will have us embroiled in entirely the wrong war if they have their way.” Although he shot a reflexive scowl at the Count there wasn’t much heart in it. In truth, he’d long since stopped caring about the man. Not that he intended to do anything so forward as forgive him any time soon, of course.

“... quite.” What else was there to say? Half the room, mostly consisting of the more elderly military officials and the Knights, seemed to be arguing for war against Germania at once. The Princess was sitting quietly as the Queen rested her face in her hand with what Guiche had to admit was certainly the utmost of grace and elegance. To her other side the remaining officials seemed to be split between wanting to declare war on Albion, Gallia and one lone, wild-eyed old coot who seemed to think they should be marching on the elves by next light.

Guiche clenched his fist. Beside him, Kenneth reached out for him and then pulled back with a pained expression. It was all just too much. While his father was writhing in agony the safety of Tristain fell to these… these… clowns! He wouldn’t let them sully this nation any further!

Just as he stepped forward to slam his fist on the table there was an immensely loud ‘bang’. Kenneth had slung his tombstone off his back and onto the floor; its wrappings swinging loose to reveal the inscriptions on its surface. Those assembled couldn’t read them, not well at least, and yet the monument seemed to almost radiate a hallowed sensation.

“... ‘pologies, Yer Majesty an’ Highness. Ah just couldnae listen to another second of that tripe.” Guiche’s familiar stepped forward and bowed smartly to the Queen, who had looked up with a perplexed expression. “Kenneth Manson, Son of Man; back home they also call me Flamecutter, Mountain Rider, Dragon Drinker an’ Tomb-Bearer. Ah also have the honour, an’ the privilege, of bein’ the Familiar of Guiche de Gramont, youngest son of General Armand de Gramont.” Here, he gestured to his young charge and stepped to one side. All eyes were on Guiche; until the figure in the throne delicately cleared her throat.

“Do you wish to address us, Master Gramont?” The Queen’s bearing and speech were both without flaw. She was regal and timeless, yet touched by just a hint of grief. Her black clothing was indicative of her ongoing mourning for her regrettably deceased husband. Some nobles would always whisper that she was unstable, erratic, or worse. In this moment she seemed nothing less than a true monarch.

“Yes, Your Majesty. With your permission?” She inclined her head ever so slightly. Once more, all gazes swung to Guiche. He stepped forward and bowed, as was right and proper, before beginning. “Gentiles all; I know many of those assembled here, by reputation at the very least. Although my honoured father is regrettably indisposed I stand before as an unworthy replacement.”

A faint snort of derision indicated that someone agreed with his assessment. He ignored it, and soldiered on. “I have little experience in the art of war. However; what I do have is knowledge. My father’s knowledge. These past few days I have spent memorising his personal notes and reading his journals, familiarising myself with his thoughts on our military and what might be done to defend our nation. With that in mind, there is something I must share with you that I feel he would say.” Guiche took a moment to clear his throat and took a deep breath.

“Were my father here today he would undoubtedly speak louder than I. He would deride each and every one of you for your lollygagging and openly question when last any of you saw combat.” Faces were turning red with outrage but he didn’t give them the chance to interject. “I dare say that I have seen more fighting these past few months than many of you have in the past decade. As such, you have let your experiences, or lack thereof, blind you.”

One portly mouth opened to provide a counterpoint only to be silenced by Guiche slamming a gauntleted fist down on the table. “Our enemy is irrelevant. It matters not who has attacked us at this point; we merely need know we are under attack. Stores must be set in, musters arranged for, militias organised! Yet you sit here arguing about who we ought to declare upon?”

As he spoke, part of him sincerely hoped he wasn’t overstepping the mark here. By the looks of embarrassment upon many faces, though, it seemed like they hadn’t yet gotten to such matters. That was… not good, but at least not immediately detrimental to him. “You may not be the finest military minds of our Kingdom, but I know for a fact that some of the greatest logisticians my father has ever worked with are sitting at this table. No matter whom is responsible there are things that must be done!”

There was a cavernous silence in the room. He was, of course, correct. However; there was much pride gathered in this room. The Queen stared at her military advisors but nobody seemed to be willing to take the first step. Until, that is, the Count de Mott stepped forward.

“If the good sirs can begin drafting the conscription plans and have Her Majesty approve them then I can begin deliveries within the hour?” Seeing a relatively senior noble act seemed to break the spell that had fallen over the others. General Tréville leaned forward.

“A central muster ought to do. Rapid response, that’s the thing. Wide open space to run drills for the conscripts. Any ideas, Montbelliard‎?” The portly man he spoke to looked pensive now instead of outraged. Yet more people leaned over the map laid out on the table and idea it.

“Plains of Tarbes, perhaps? Can land the fleet nearby, load up the better quality troops and be ready to respond in all directions. Set out the Aerial Corps along the border for some early warning?” This came from Dampierre‎, and his contribution shortly got the ball rolling. As logistical concerns were quickly raised and just as quickly solved the Count began to take notes and dispatch missives. Guiche stood there in shock at what he’d just done. It didn’t feel real.

Suddenly silence fell. The Queen had cleared her throat, and was eyeing Guiche with a strange look. There was a sinking feeling growing in the pit of his stomach, and he wasn’t sure where it came from.

“It seems to me…” She began almost innocuously, with a faint smile on her face. “That we remain short on senior staff. Perhaps we require a more… personable face. Someone our new conscripts can trust, no?” Confusion was writ large on the faces of the assembled men; followed quickly by consternation as they realised what she was getting at. A dainty hand raised itself and forestalled any complaints.

“Of course, you gentlemen would be remain in charge, as it were. I wouldn’t dream of appointing anyone over the heads of my own high command. However… a Knight-Captain of one of our Orders can be considered of equal rank to a General, can he not?” The Queen looked to the assembled officers for confirmation which they reluctantly gave.

“It is an equivalent rank only, Your Majesty.” Said Dampierre‎, tentatively. “Traditionally, the Chivalric Orders do not give orders to the Army…?” She nodded, still with a faint smile on her face. “Besides which, all of the Orders already have a Knight-Captain appointed to them as of two days ago, with the return of Viscount Wardes to his old position…” The Queen’s expression of amusement didn’t fade, however.

“I think you will find, Louis, that there is one as of yet unaccounted for.” The old man flushed when Her Majesty used his given name, and frowned slightly. Then the Queen stood and Guiche automatically dropped to one knee.

“Guiche de Gramont… I hereby appoint you to the position of Knight-Captain of the Chivalric Order of the Undine. Henceforth you shall act pursuant to the rights and obligations of your station.” Guiche trembled slightly, but didn’t dare to raise his head. The Queen continued regardless. “Furthermore, I charge you to travel to the plains of Tarbes to meet with our conscripted forces as they muster. Your task shall be to ensure good order and high morale amongst the troops, as well as overseeing the organisation and training of our conscripts. Do you accept this duty?”

It was entirely symbolic. He understood that; as did all those assembled. Whatever theoretical authority this granted him existed only so long as he didn’t try to exercise it and would end with the state of war. His sole purpose was to be the charismatic face of the Army; someone that the common person would respond to better than the dried up old men or chinless buffoons that filled the room. Even so…

“I accept, Your Majesty.” He looked up to see the Queen smiling down at him. She nodded thoughtfully.

“Very good. Then rise, Sir Gramont. You have much to do yet.”

Louise stared at Wardes where he knelt before her, hand outstretched. Daintily; she reached out and took the thing. It sparkled under the light in a way that made her chest ache. All of this felt… so wrong. And yet…

“Louise… please. We are to go to war soon. With all that has happened… both our lines may end with us. Can we not seek some measure of happiness? Of continuity?” She looked into his earnest face, staring up at her below, and could only think of the ashen face of her father as he listened to the doctors. Could only think of the blank face of her sister, and the writhing of her mother in her bed. Louise swallowed hard.

“... very well, Jean-Jacques. I will marry you.”

18. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

What a massive fucking jackass.

Also: Yay! Update!

TotalAbsolutism and Jarudazuigu like this.
  19. GiftofLove

I disagree entirely. This is, I believe, at least two weeks after the attack. With war on the horizon it's an entirely reasonable concern for both of their noble lines. Especially since Wardes - and I think Louise too if she's in the Undine Knights, I can't remember - is active in the military.

I'm wondering what the Queen is thinking with her appointment. Personally, I think she's both testing Guiche's mettle with this assignment, and at the same time working to strengthen the political position of what appears to be an up and coming new star. Maybe also to put a calm head in charge of the conscripts that will also curtail unwanted civil unrest aimed at Germainia that they can ill afford.

tighearnach and TotalAbsolutism like this.
  20. TotalAbsolutism

She did join, yes. Although it's actually not a week yet, since war hasn't been officially declared. So that's just a tiny bit more jerkish.
    He's also very pretty.

More seriously, though, he's far more likely to be able to relate with the new conscripts than most of the people in the room. She does read the reports filed from the Undine Knights, after all, so she knows plenty about him.

21. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Look at his wording, not just the actions. He's exploiting her very recent emotional trauma in order for him to strengthen his own position. That's... pretty damn scummy.

I also imagine that she wants to shame the people who were being stupid by promoting the one to show how they were being stupid.

That accurate TA?

tighearnach and GiftofLove like this.
  22. TotalAbsolutism

Too petty to motivate her. They're all as keenly aware as she is how ill-prepared they are for this.

tighearnach and vyor like this.
  23. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

I think if it's at all motivated by his recent actions, it's the other way around in fact; she wants to remind her generals that good behavior is rewarded, so as to motivate them to stay on point instead of getting in another dick measuring contest.

24. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Fair enough.

This is a good point I hadn't considered.

tighearnach and GiftofLove like this.
  25. Threadmarks: Bronze and Catastrophe
    TotalAbsolutism

Preparations were underway. Everything seemed to be happening so fast… Louise wasn’t sure how this had come about. Jean-Jacques had answered her every little concern directly. They would use the main hall of the Vallière estate for the ceremony so that Cattelya could attend; her sister wasn’t nearly well enough to travel but could easily make it into the hall at least. Louise had suggested bringing her mother down but some discussion with her father had ended that line of thought.

From there she’d expressed to him the desire to have at least some of her friends present. Not that she had all that many. In the end she’d simply invited a handful of her fellow initiates; the ones she was closer to. Guiche had apparently been promoted to Knight-Captain, as if things couldn’t get any more surreal, and would be unable to attend.

So her maids of honour were Siesta, Kirche and Tabitha; the former was practically Saito’s sister, and the latter two were somewhat of a package deal. The Germanian girl had seemed in high spirits by the time she arrived at the estate; like as not she’d gotten her dismay and shock out of her system earlier.

A number of carts had arrived with various attendants who’d immediately set out to decorate the hall with the help of the Vallière’s servants; under the watchful eye of their stern head maid. Wardes had also, it seemed, requested a small detachment of Knights to serve as the honour guard for the ceremony.

It was all very beautiful. There was, as it turned out, a dress already prepared. A dressmaker was called in to help adjust it to fit; apparently it had been with an older Louise in mind. She’d cried a little when her father showed her to it.

“I know it may seem a little pain, my darling child, but it was… well, it was hers, you know. With Cattelya’s illness and Éléonore... “ He trailed off and shrugged with a wry smile. Yes, Louise could understand that. It was quite plain. Simple white fabric with delicate embroidery. She could just imagine her mother in it.

“... thank you, father. I love it.” They’d hugged then, and it had lasted for some time. That excursion was the longest stretch of time he’d spent away from his wife’s side in nearly a week. He didn’t go back afterwards; perhaps for fear he might not be able to leave again. Instead he promised Louise that he’d tidy up properly for her big day.

Then, quite suddenly, it was upon them. She was sitting in her room with Kirche and Siesta carefully pinning up her hair. There was a tremble that she couldn’t shake. Something about this all felt like… like… she couldn’t explain it concisely, even to herself. It was like she could feel something looming in the distance that she couldn’t quite grasp.

“Are you sure about this, Zero?” Kirche nudged her from behind, staring at Louise’s reflection with deep concern in her gaze. Perhaps more. The pink-haired girl closed her eyes and took several deep breaths. Thinking about that would do her no good.

“He is a good man, Zerbst. This has been my destiny for a long time. Now we stand on the brink of open war, and both of us may well end up fighting. I’d rather not die with…” She let the last word die on her lips. Behind her the larger girl shifted uncomfortably. Yet, she didn’t say anything. Louise didn’t open her eyes until she was sure that she could stomach whatever expression Kirche had on her.

It was, as it turned out, a smile. Perhaps a little weak, even a trifle forced, but a smile nonetheless. When Louise smiled in return they were a matching pair. Siesta was very pointedly looking away from both of them and had turned bright red. Poor girl was probably very confused right now.

Then, just like that, she was at the altar. There was music playing and the room was… not full, exactly, but at least occupied. Her family, such as was able, were sitting on chairs along with the servants. They were family too, in their own way; she’d grown up amongst most of those faces. Eight Knights in burnished surcoats drew their swords with steely rasps as the far doors opened.

There he was. Her fiancé. She’d dreamed about this day when she was a much younger girl and had no comprehension of what it meant to be engaged. In her dreams he’d always looked this way. Jean-Jacques wasn’t wearing the hat but he had the rest of the outfit on; blue cape and brilliantly silver breastplate, a gift from Guiche’s familiar, complementing his distinguished grey hair and elegantly manicured beard.

She could feel her heart skip a beat; as if she was a little girl again. And yet… even as he walked down the aisle with a beatific expression she felt off. Louise glanced to the side where Saito stood; they’d got him into most of a suit but he adamantly refused to give up the red cloak. If she’d ordered him perhaps he might have but for some reason she hadn’t. Wardes had asked the commoner to serve as his best man; a terrible breach of propriety that had nevertheless been touching in its way.

He was smiling too. It was bizarre; the expression didn’t suit him at all. Saito looked far better, she thought, when he was looking serious, or concerned. She felt a phantom warmth against her back and flushed beneath the veil. Why would she think of that at a time lke this?

Wardes alighted the steps before the altar and came to a halt beside her. The workmen had done a marvellous job assembling the little stage here, and with everything else besides. As the Priest invoked the blessings of the Founder and the five powers she almost felt like maybe, just maybe, this might work out.

“I, Viscount Jean-Jacques de Wardes do solemnly vow to take Louise de la Vallière as my lawfully wedded wife.” He looked down at her as he spoke and looked just so… happy. It made her chest hurt. “For all of my days shall I watch over her, guide her, and shield her from all pain and sorrow in this life. By the Founder, this I swear.” Now it was his turn.

They were all looking at her. Kirche and Siesta to her right. Saito to her left. Her father and Cattelya; the latter leaning against the former for support and both smiling up at her. Almost everyone here was so happy to see this come about. Especially him. Especially Wardes. Louise felt dizzy. She felt ill. She felt…

… unhappy.

“I… I…” Her voice nearly cracked as she tried to speak. She had to take a moment to still her heart and steel her nerves before continuing. “Jean-Jacques… no… Viscount Wardes.” He still looked down at her but his expression had solidified somewhat. “You're... kind, and noble, and you’ve done so much for me.” Louise reached out and took his hands in hers, grasping them tightly.

He didn’t squeeze back. His hands were practically limp in her grip. “Even so… even here and now, after all this, I just don’t… I mean… that is to say… I…” She sighed and turned away, releasing him. Wardes’ arms fell limply to his sides.

“You will not marry me.” His voice was soft, and it wasn’t a question. She glanced back and he had a sort of smile on his face. It was the kind of smile she’d seen plenty of times before; worn by someone good-natured who suddenly found themselves the butt of a nasty joke. Slowly, Louise shook her head. Tears gathered in her eyes.

Yet, to her surprise, Wardes just laughed. It was a quiet, regretful chuckle. “I see… I just couldn’t see it through to the end, could I?” One hand raised up and stroked her cheek. Softly, tenderly. Then it pulled away. “I understand, Louise. You’re an honest girl, and you can’t lie to yourself. It really is too bad.” He laughed again and looked to the ceiling. She felt a hot flush coming on; wrought of shame and sorrow both.

“It really is too bad.”

Wardes turned around and drew his sword-wand in a single smooth motion; unleashing a bolt of lightning that struck Saito directly in the shoulder, mid-dodge, and sent the young man spinning backwards into the wall.

Someone screamed as, all around them, chaos broke loose.

An unlikely trio sat on a hillside overlooking a wide field filled with tents and soldiers. Young men were getting outfitted from wagons full of weapons and basic armour, then being divided up into groups for training. A number of veteran soldiers had been seconded from the Capitol in order to oversee the organisation of the muster.

The youngest of the three sighed deeply and resumed her task; carefully buffing a rather fine shield until it shined. Beside her a squat man with thick beard hair stroked at his matted red locks. Both of them were watching a figure in a blue cape and hat strolling amongst the troops below. They all seemed somewhat in awe of him.

“... I do worry greatly about him, Kenneth. He hasn’t spoken at all of what happened since…” Montmorency sighed again and scraped rather more vigorously at a spot of grime on the surface of the shield. She’d volunteered to join the camp as part of her apprenticeship to a more senior healer. Under her ministrations Derflinger sighed happily but was otherwise not his usual lewd self. It was understandable; he was, for all of his misbehaviour, rather fond of Guiche.

“It’s all beyond me, girl.” The animate shield spoke in a tone that sounded like it would be shrugging if it had shoulders. “I’ve had a lot of partners over the years. Lost a lot of ‘em, too. Doesn’t seem to hit me as hard as it does you lot.” Even so, a certain melancholy seemed to have overcome him. Beside them Kenneth remained silent. He was leaned up against his tomb marker, pressed deep into the earth as it was, and idly turning a stone bead around in his hands.

“Ah’m not so sure what t’do here, lass.” Finally he spoke, after much deliberation. Down on the plain Guiche had stepped on top of a box of supplies and was giving an impassioned speech to the assembled conscripts. The dwarf frowned as he saw the men cheering. “He’s hurtin’ bad, an’ that’ll lead ‘im down a bad way. Ah’m worried that some o’ these folks might die afore he can snap out of it…”

That was really the issue. Guiche de Gramont had been charismatic from the start; it had been what had made Kenneth want to help him. The boy had noble goals at the start but now, in this position, he felt… dangerous. Of course, he couldn’t actually give orders to the soldiers. That much filled Kenneth with a sense of relief. But even so…

Another cheer resounded as Guiche struck a pose with his sword pointed into the distance. A cheer that quite suddenly died without any warning. The dwarf looked up and his face fell moments later. He hauled himself to his feet and yanked his tablet from its resting place. Montmorency gasped quietly.

“Oh no…” The girl covered her mouth with her hands as she watched the fleet of airships descending from the clouds in the distance. There were dozens of them. All around the fleet green lights dropped from the sky and began to streak ahead of the main group. Kenneth cursed in every tongue he could manage, and then some.

“Girl!” His sudden burst of coherency startled Montmorency, but not nearly as much as him grabbing her and hauling her to her feet. “Evacuate the town! Flee directly away from the ships! Every civilian left behind is just another enemy!” She tried to ask what he meant but the dwarf pushed her in the direction of the village. “Go, now!” He roared the last line as he snatched up the fallen shield, ignoring its complaints and demands for explanations.

Kenneth launched himself off the hill with a sudden burst of earth beneath his feet and hit the ground mere paces away from his charge. A slam of a foot caused the ground to buckle once more and forced him to rise into the air. Even as the various officers were trying to restore order and organise a resistance all eyes were suddenly on him.

“Listen up! Forget the ships, ‘cause like as not we willnae survive to deal with whatever may be on ‘em. Those are our enemy!” He pointed towards the green lights heading towards them and those assembled could see his hand trembling. “If ah’m right, and ye’d best pray ah’m not, then all Hell ‘s about t’break loose. If any of ye survive then ah’ll gladly call ye my brothers after this. Now listen good!”

Any question of leadership or chain of command had long since died; all present listened fervently to Kenneth as he outlined their only hope of living through the day.

He’d called them ‘Wights’. They were animated by a magic from his world that melded the element of Fire with something corrupt and tainted. The result was referred to as ‘Banefire’; Kenneth had said that it burned both soul and flesh as one. Their only hope for victory would be to bring down the flying creatures before they reached them and then destroy their bodies from a distance with magic.

Fire would be more or less useless so that negated a full quarter of their mage support then and there. Anyone with Earth capabilities, including him and his familiar, had been set to build walls and ramps. One of the more solid sergeants had called for anyone who could use a bow, anyone at all, and set about arming them.

The remaining soldiers were getting anything that could hold any amount of water and all of the remaining mages were setting about filling it. They might well drain the town’s well for this but it might prove vital to their fight. Guiche had never seen Kenneth afraid before. A runner had been sent with three horses; he’d ride at a gallop and swap as soon as the one he was on got too tired. It might well kill two of the animals for only a slight increase in speed but his familiar had seemed to think it was worth it.

Guiche was afraid too. He did his best not to show it as he moved earth around and called out encouragement to the men. Currently his best effort seemed to be extolling the virtues of his familiar at length; whether or not the conscripts believed him was immaterial to the fact that they visibly relaxed under the constant barrage of praise for the dwarf. Perhaps it was because they couldn’t tell how upset their supposed savior was.

In a way they’d been saved by the weather. If it had been more cloudy the airships could well have gotten closer to them before having to emerge. The Wights as well seemed slower than living dragons; else they’d have been upon them by now. As it was they were growing rapidly larger, yes, but they’d had a good fifteen minutes of frantic preparation thus far and might still have some time yet.

If nothing else, at least Montmorency would be safe. Kenneth had sent her to the town first thing to evacuate the villagers and Guiche was very grateful for that. He’d found himself wishing that she hadn’t followed him out here; then she wouldn’t be in danger now.

“They’re nearly here, Kenneth.” The young noble had paused to finally strap his shield on; he felt a little bad about that. As of late he’d been somewhat neglecting what really ought to be one of his greatest assets.

“Aye. Listen, lad… ah dinnae know if Derflinger can protect ye here. Don’t engage unless ye have to… understand?” On his arm the animate shield huffed loudly… but didn’t disagree. If that fire worked like Kenneth said then magical or not it might well pose a risk to whatever it was that empowered him. That was a sobering thought.

“... hm? Eh, partner; someone’s calling for ya.” Guiche looked up and saw two soldiers at the edge of the freshly-built fortifications holding a frantically shouting man at bay. They seemed to be trying to talk to him but he just kept shouting past them and paying them no mind at all. The cries just barely reached them.

“...rd Gramo…” It seemed that Derf was correct. Guiche stood and did his best to stride as majestically as possible but with a faint awareness that perhaps it wasn’t the best time for theatrics. The man didn’t get much calmer as he approached. “I’m telling you, I must speak with Lord Gramont at once! I can help, I swear it!”[/i]

“Look, all the villagers have been told to evacuate. We appreciate you want to help us but there’s nothing you can do.” The soldier holding the man’s left arm was trying his best to push the fellow back but without much success. Even with two of them they were barely checking his progress; surprising, given he was actually noticeably shorter than them.

“That’s enough, men.” They let go and the peasant stumbled forward; collapsing on to his knees. Guiche knelt and offered him a hand. “I am Guiche de Gramont, good sir. And the men are right… you really ought to be evacu-” After hearing his name the man looked up with an expression of utter relief. Moments later he grasped at Guiche’s arm and hauled himself upright, but didn’t let go.

“No, you must listen. I am Jeima of Tarbes, Siesta is my daughter! She told me you are a truly noble soul, your honour, and so I have come to you now!” Guiche sighed. While he was touched by this display of loyalty it really wasn’t the time for it. “Sir, please! I break a vow most solemn and ancient to tell you thi-” That was enough. He pulled the man’s arm free and stared him down.

Sir, we are about to be engaged in a battle for our very lives and your being here will only endanger us! You, you and you! Help these two and get him away from here!” The five men all grabbed at the smaller Jeima and together they finally managed to start dragging him away. Even then he still tried to call out.

“No! Sir, please! Lord Gramont! My grandfather was not of this world! There is something he left behind that may help!” That brought Guiche up cold. He spun on his heel and sprinted over to the five; bodily pulling them away from the little man.

“You will explain at once. What do you mean not of this world?” There was a spark lit in Guiche’s heart. His mother’s sword had been made by Kenneth’s wife and fallen through from that world into this one. Who knew what else might have come the same way? For the first time hope was filling him.

“I know little more, my lord, save this; even in his dotage my grandfather was hale and hearty. He only passed at last when fighting a wandering beast to protect my mother. Father told me that he’d sealed away many things that he’d brought with him to this world, things of unimaginable power!” That spark had just become a raging inferno, buoying Guiche up once more.

“He told me that someone would come for them one day, and that we should only give them unto that person. There was a… a passphrase, you see, and more besides… but I fear that if we do not go now then my family’s legacy may well die with the village. I would have done it myself, sir, but you need magic to open the way... “ And that settled it. Guiche drew himself up and looked to Kenneth, who nodded at him. Then he turned back to the soldiers and struck his most heroic smile.

“You five, follow me. I have reason to believe what this man says may well be our salvation. Kenneth…” He saluted his familiar, tears forming in the corners of his eyes. “Please be here when I return. That is all I ask.” The dwarf returned the gesture, and then suddenly lunged forward to hug Guiche around the waist.

“Ah’m not th’ sort to make promises ah can’t keep, lad. Off with ye. If this is what ah think it is then ye’ll definitely save us.” Kenneth broke off and then turned at once to leave. Guiche mirrored him; marching smartly away so quickly that Jeima had to break into a jog to catch up. Behind him he could hear Kenneth beginning to bark out orders.

A minute later they just crossed through the village and were heading towards an abandoned well in an outer field when the screaming began far behind them. Jeima said nothing, but silently redoubled his pace.

Guiche followed behind, and didn’t look back.

26. Jarudazuigu

Jarudazuigu Sealed, for now

Awesome! And Wardes remains a douche. Why hadn't Saito poisoned his ass in the night, ach yes ... Louise wasn't decisive.

27. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Welp, they're right fucked. It explains what the crazy chick's been doing though.

Practising.

That is not a good sign.

But what could it be!?

tighearnach and Jarudazuigu like this.
  28. Threadmarks: Bronze and Mortality
    TotalAbsolutism

Saito had crumpled into a heap against the wall and was unmoving. Her father had frozen mid-rise when the watching workmen around the sides had pulled crossbows out from beneath flower wreaths and behind wall-hangings. Had this been Wardes’ plan from the very beginning?

The Knights that had come with him had turned their swords toward the few guests and seemed ready to attack if need be. Wardes had grabbed her arm, holding it tightly, and pointed his sword-wand at her maids; Kirche had also frozen with wand already in hand. Where had she been hiding it? Louise didn’t understand why her mind was grasping at tiny things like that, instead of...

“Jean-Jacques… you…” Her chest ached. Why? Why? He was a traitor? She didn’t understand it. And yet… He wouldn’t look at her; just pointing his weapon at the girls still. It had become a stalemate in a matter of moments; her father was at least skilled enough to take this many men but not with his ill daughter right beside him. She didn’t have a wand on her; it was supposed to be her wedding day!

“You’ll never get away with this, Viscount!” Kirche’s cry would have seemed more melodramatic if it weren’t for the note of fear in her voice. Wardes didn’t respond to her; he merely yanked Louise closer and caught her by the waist. Ordinarily the thing to do would be to struggle and beat her fists against him, most likely to no avail, but she was painfully aware of the weapons aimed at her sister. “We’ve two more mages than you, and there’s no way you’ll hurt Louise!”

“Shut up.” The tip of his sword-wand pointed to her and his grip on Louise tightened. “Stay where you are, and nobody else needs to get hurt, Germanian. My wife and I are leaving.” The words stung far more than they should have as he took a step towards the hall’s rear door. Without even thinking about it she began to pull against him until he squeezed again. “Don’t struggle, Louise; think of your family. All of them.”

The way he spoke brought her up cold. There was her father and sister in here, but… she met her father’s gaze and his expression had turned both dark and fearful. “That’s right. I’ve a man with your wife, Duke. Any undue commotion and he’ll slit her throat. So you just wait quietly and we’ll be on our way.” He continued to haul her towards the door; she didn’t actively resist but nor was she willing to walk along with him just like that.

Something felt wrong. Her eyes flickered to the wall and traced a shape that she felt should be there. Yet… something was… her head felt almost fuzzy and yet her mind was still perfectly clear. More like something just at the edge of recollection…

“Forgetting someone?” Saito stood between them and the door. Two of the men had aimed at him instead of her father; she saw him shift subtly to place himself between Cattleya and the remainder when he noticed the potential opening. Wardes had gone very stiff behind her and his sword-wand waved erratically between her maids and familiar.

“Don’t you care about the Duchess’ life?” Even if the young man looked in a bad way, his clothing scorched and what skin she could see blackened by the lightning impact, he was still standing in their way. That was clearly making Jean-Jacques uneasy. Saito shook his head slowly; not taking his eyes off them.

“I serve Louise. She is my sole concern. Release her.” His expression twisted into a hateful snarl and for a moment Louise thought she saw his teeth coming to a point. “Now.” There was a moment when something horrifying washed over her; an instant of fear that shot straight into the darkest reaches of her mind and left her with a brutal certainty that she was about to die. This feeling seemed to be indiscriminate as Wardes tensed up and a number of people gasped in horror.

Louise was in the perfect position to see Saito’s eyes widen as a ‘twang’ sounded behind her.

The soldiers were afraid. There wasn’t much of a way to alleviate their fear; the sheer level of preparations were enough to terrify anyone. There were more than a dozen heavy barrels full of water spread throughout the fortifications and more, smaller, vessels besides those. Water Mages were standing by but Kenneth felt they didn’t have enough of those.

He’d said all he could at this point. They’d have to shoot for the wings; even if they were magically flying undead monstrosities they still needed those to some degree. Then things became really difficult. With what time they’d had he had attempted to impart some basic strategies to dealing with Wights but he wasn’t sure how well it would take. All that remained now was to see it through.

The first one came streaking low, green fire bubbling out of its maw and trailing from its eye sockets, and opened wide to let loose a gout of unholy flames. With ease borne of practice the Mages assigned to the barrels pulled up a sheet of water to catch it mid-ar; with striking results. When the green blaze met the liquid it exploded in a horrific imitation of a suddenly-doused grease fire.

Simultaneously, dozens of men loosed arrows at the creature. Many of these were destroyed by the conflagration but some made it through. Those that hit scales either deflected neatly or penetrated shallowly; the creature was not inconvenienced by either. Just as it was about to peel off for another run a spike of stone slammed into its chest from the front; launched by the only Triangle Earth Mage they had.

”GET BACK!” Kenneth’s roar carried over the ragged cheer that went up as the thing’s momentum was checked by the shot; it spun out of the air and dug a deep rent in the ground as it crashed. The thing pulled itself upwards and then, suddenly, the surface bulged outwards. There was a moment when green light shone from between all of its scales and then…

The blast radiated outwards and caught a good dozen men in it. Kenneth reacted as best he could; one, still screaming, got a crossbow bolt in the back of the head. Another dropped into the earth as he stomped on it and willed the ground to crush the body into a fine red paste before the flames could take hold. Then one of the screaming men suddenly stopped. They stood and turned to stare at Kenneth with fire pouring out of their eyes.

He didn’t curse. Around the man more of those caught in the explosion rose. Above them there were further detonations as the Dragonwights flew overhead and breathed flames towards the mass of soldiers. There was screaming to one side where a blast got through. Kenneth didn’t look away. His crossbow clicked onto the hook at his waist and the haft of his axe fell smoothly into his grip as he advanced towards the freshly-made Wights.

One charged him; he sidestepped and kicked out to knock it off balance then swung; bisecting the thing left shoulder to right. His hand wrenched upwards and clenched just in time to cause the ground to rise up and swallow the two halves before there was a dull ‘thud’ of the remains exploding. There was no respite; two more charged him with burning hands outstretched.

One was slammed backwards as he swung his slab off his back, smashing it into the Wight in the process, and grasped the iron rings along the back. Despite its significance to him it definitely wasn’t the first and, given it was a very convenient shield, wouldn’t be the last. The meaning was in the names on the stone and he knew all of those by heart.

The second one leapt for him as the fire burning under skin grew suddenly brighter. Kenneth slammed his foot, and shield, down at the same time; causing the earth to sink in a small semicircle around him; exactly the width of his slab where it had been pressed into the ground. Green flame streamed around the edges of his makeshift shield as the thing detonated itself in an attempt to bring him down. He’d expected that much.

What he hadn’t expected was a toothy maw to snap down on either side of the slab right as the inferno abated and yank it out of his hand. Kenneth saw it sail away into the middle distance, probably to land on some unfortunate soldier, as the Dragonwight turned its head back to him.

It lunged, Banefire licking between its teeth, and Kenneth punched out. His fist met it on the lower jaw and knocked the head away; he could feel the unholy fires scorch the ground behind him. They weren’t hot, as such; but it was an unmistakeable sensation. The dwarf vaulted out of his hole and circled around. There was a flash of metal as he removed one of its hind limbs on the way past.

In response the draconic beast spun in the opposite direction; he ducked a swinging tail and then dropped all the way down to his back and kicked out as a tingle through his toes warned him of the leaping Wight behind him. His feet caught it in the chest as it fell and launched it skywards where it exploded into a ball of green fire. Kenneth slammed his elbows down and shoved himself to his feet only to be faced with a mouth full of teeth coming straight for him.

His axe flashed out even as it went to close its teeth; the blade passing smoothly through the skull and flesh with a faint hiss. The edge glowed green for a moment before the metal rejected the unholy fire. Kenneth took a moment to calm his wild heartbeat and survey the surroundings.

The situation wasn’t great. As per his instructions the Earth Mages were burying Wights beneath torrents of dirt; but the things were working on clawing their way out already. Meanwhile the Water Mages were trying to protect against the remaining dragons. When water met Banefire it was like trying to put out an oil fire… but at least it prevented the flames from landing.

He began to move in the direction his slab had been flung; it would still be valuable if it hadn’t cracked. Skill at arms alone wasn’t nearly enough to survive an encounter like this. He unslung his crossbow and cocked it as he jogged; eyeing the combat. They must have lost a quarter of their men already.

Ahead there were a group of three Wights assaulting two spearmen; they were doing their best to repel the dead, but it was hard to hold off a creature that didn’t care about injuries. Green fire surged out of the hands of one and it grasped at the wooden shaft of the weapon impaled in its stomach. In moments the wood had rotted down the haft; blackened bits collapsing as the Wight launched itself forward and embraced the soldier.

It let go a moment later as the body slumped in its grip, then turned its head to face Kenneth. He lowered his crossbow and then clicked it back onto the hook at his belt. The shot had taken the young man right in the eye and gone into his brain; quick and painless death. They could only make more Wights if the fire killed its victim directly.

“C’mon, ye bastards!” The three started walking his way slowly; two splitting off and moving left and right. They left the second soldier behind and he scrambled away in terror. Kenneth didn’t blame him. These men may well have been friends or comrades… seeing the green fire burning out of their eyes would unnerve one even if that wasn’t the case.

All three charged at once. He dashed for one and swung down; neatly bisecting them skull to midriff and kicking them in the stomach to launch the body back before it could detonate. The earth beneath him shifted to give him more leverage as he twisted himself to the side and kicked out; a spike of earth impaling the charging Wight through the neck.

The last one leapt for him as he brought his axe around the other way. Its left hand shot towards his axe and even though it cleaved straight through flesh and bone the impact deflected it just slightly. Kenneth swung with his own left as the flaming right hand reached for his face only for it to jerk downwards and suddenly grasp his fist.

In front of him the Wight’s eyes exploded into brightness as green fires surged down its arm and covered Kenneth’s hand.

Saito was faced with a choice. He had merely an instant to decide which way he was going to launch himself. Even as he tensed his muscles and leaned forward his eyes locked with Louise’s and he could see the slowly dawning horror as what was happening began to reach her. Inwardly he cursed himself and his softness.

Outwardly he pushed off the ground with all of his might and exploded across the room. Around him the stalemate devolved into madness. One of the men had reacted to his threat in the worst possible way; firing their crossbow. The Duke was paralysed with indecision and wouldn’t react in time. To his right the Zerbst girl began to swing her arm with the words of a spell on her lips. As he passed Wardes the man was slowly lifting his implement in turn.

He sailed through the air, hand reaching out, as the distance between him and the flying bolt decreased far more rapidly, and yet also far more slowly, than he wanted. It was nearing level with his path now and he was just passing the halfway mark. His arm stretched to its maximum length as he reached for the power burned into his skin. It wouldn’t arrive in time; his hesitation had cost him that.

Less than a metre away from the Duke and Louise’s sister his fingertips made contact with the fletching on the bolt as it passed in front of him. Its course deviated only a few thumb-widths at most; flying otherwise straight and true right into the ill girl’s chest. Saito’s dive carried him forward into a roll that brought him up within arm’s reach of one of the armoured soldiers; a hand shot out and he struck the man on the chest with an open palm. The armour crunched as it dented inwards and the occupant was flung backwards.

Wardes cried out a name as he turned and as his rotation completed he saw Tabitha move. A blade of ice formed on the wand that slid out of her cuff as soon as it met her hand and she jabbed it through Kirche’s side before twisting and releasing the spell. Frost exploded upwards and coated the girl’s arm as she coughed blood with a look of utmost shock. The traitor swung his wand at the wall and released a cone of fire and rushing air that blasted a hole in the wall.

Even as he broke into a sprint the Duke clutched his collapsing daughter behind him. Wardes hauled Louise off her feet and over his shoulder as he began to run for the hole in the wall. A spray of frigid air was flung at him by Tabitha while she moved to intercept; playing interference for her handler. In response his left arm glowed red and fire burst forth from his palm; half the light of his tattoo disappeared in the blink of an eye as he negated the icy wind only to drop to the ground a moment later so he could avoid the hail of stones that came in their wake.

Wardes was ten steps from the hole in the wall and casting another spell as he ran. Louise beat her fists against his back in vain and was crying out. Formless anger buoyed him up as he slammed his palms down and forced himself upright in an instant. A powerful kick caught the flagstones and launched them in a spray of rock at his fellow assassin; but she’d already moved to the side and had flung the altar at him on a gust of wind.

He vaulted it and then kicked out in mid-air; a solid surface forming beneath his sole for just long enough that he could go flying up and over Tabitha. Her next shot, a thin icy spear, caught him in the thigh as he hurtled towards the fleeing groom. Wardes completed his spell mere instants before contact and his figure stretched out rapidly as the acceleration magic took effect. For the merest fraction of a second Saito closed his eyes.

Louise was outside. Wardes had her, and was capable of flight. His griffon would be nearby. The primary goal had already succeeded; in the time it took him to grab a weapon and use the enhanced speed to catch up with them the traitor would have escaped. Secondary goal would be neutralisation of the Duke and himself; as well as Tabitha’s escape.

Jeirazh opened his eyes. They glowed as he turned his head and surveyed the room. Two wounded, Kirche and Cattleya, with one otherwise incapacitated, the Duke. Five armoured hostiles, twelve unarmoured with crossbows, one already fired. He exhaled heavily and then breathed in deeply as the eleven still armed with loaded weapons readjusted their aim.

The nearest one didn’t have time to react before he shattered their arm at the elbow and tore the weapon from them. As soon as his hands closed around the trigger he disappeared from view. Blood exploded from the men around the perimeter of the room one by one within the space of a few seconds; the last three managed to pull the trigger only for their bolts to be yanked out of the air as soon as they’d left the crossbow. He’d jammed them into their eye sockets.

From his perspective, Jeirazh moved calmly towards the first of five Knights; at a run, of course, but without the incredible franticness that had accentuated his earlier movements. Behind him, Tabitha was putting together her next spell. He ignored her. His hand slammed into the first man’s helm and he immediately began to apply pressure; only stopping to fling the dead body sideways as soon as his fingers met each other again.

Four of the five still standing died the same way; blood exploding from their helmets as they suddenly became a third of the size followed by their corpses being promptly tossed aside. The only survivor amongst the honour guard, the very first Knight who was struggling to breathe through cracked ribs and a crushed armour plate, got to watch a hand emerge from the back of his last remaining compatriot; one clutching something small and red that it unceremoniously crushed.

Jeirazh pulled his arm from the chest of the last standing Knight and then turned to face Tabitha. She’d frozen in place, wand in hand, and was staring at him as he stood there; blood dripping from his fingertips and loaded crossbow lazily held in his off hand. Up until he’d put his hands on the weapon he knew that she’d been able to follow and react to his movements. Now, though… he’d killed sixteen men in the last two, maybe three, seconds. The lone man who’d discharged his weapon already and the one he’d first struck were still the only two left alive.

“One word, Charlotte. It’s all I’m giving you.” He began to walk towards her as all killing intent flowed out of him. A smile appeared on his face as he approached her while radiating an aura of total peace and openness. She tensed and relaxed and tensed again as the paradox that he displayed took her already taut nerves and messily tore them asunder. There was no malice in his steps, no intent to hurt her in his eyes, nothing but holes in the way he held his body and yet… in her heart, she could feel her death approaching.

An arm’s length away he stopped and reached out for her while she trembled in place. There had been a spell prepared but her wand had fallen from her fingers at some point. Jeirazh reached for her; still smiling beatifically as his fingers gently grasped at her neck. The words she might have said were all frozen in her throat. Finally, she forced one out.

“... family.” He didn’t freeze. It wasn’t shock, or even surprise. The calmness merely flowed out of him to be replaced by an endless, towering fury. His grip tightened on her neck but she wasn’t choking yet. They locked gazes for what felt like an eternity but couldn’t have been more than a few seconds. Then Jeirazh sighed.

“My debt is paid.” His fist sank into the flesh of her stomach and she doubled over; all air escaping her lungs. A moment later the edge of his palm met the back of her head and she collapsed into a boneless heap on the floor. He took a few seconds to breathe deeply; closing his eyes once more.

When Saito them again the glow had ceased; both from his iris and skin. He moved over to Kirche and checked her for a pulse; it was still there. The Duke had recovered admirably from the fountains of blood forming around him and was already applying first aid to Cattleya. If he hadn’t gone for the bolt then it would have certainly penetrated his heart. Even so, he already regretted his choice.

It was too late for that. He’d become Saito de la Vallière for various reasons; ranging from the selfish to the pragmatic. In spite of all of that, however, he’d still sworn to protect Louise. But he’d lost his edge. Sentiment and foolishness had clouded his judgement. He should have killed Tabitha as soon as he uncovered her identity. He should have slit Wardes’ throat in his sleep as soon as he’d discovered the man’s split loyalties.

But he hadn’t. For personal reasons. For stupid reasons. Well, he wouldn’t make that mistake twice. Tabitha would go to the Queen’s dungeons, and Wardes would die without ever seeing his face again. He would follow them, he would find her and if anyone, or anything, dared to stand in his way…

He turned on his heel and strode towards the last enemy standing. The man had stains running down his legs and tears in his eyes; as Saito approached the unloaded crossbow dropped from his hands and he began to try and stammer something inconsequential. A moment later he was lifted bodily off the ground by the front of his shirt and slammed against the wall.

“Tell me everything you know right now and I’ll kill you instantly. But if I so much as suspect dishonesty from you I’ll make sure you take a whole minute to die.” The man quivered in terror as Saito held him against the stone. “And if you think that doesn’t sound too bad then clearly you weren’t paying attention.

Wardes leapt into the air as soon as he’d gotten outside, a levitation spell carrying him upwards as he whistled for his steed. It had shot past them mere seconds later and he’d caught the saddle with one hand as it did so; the sudden acceleration had threatened to make Louise throw up. Now she laid across his saddle as he trussed her up as best he could with strips torn from her dress.

She still struggled, but there wasn’t much force to it. Soon he had her bound fully and, after a particularly vigorous set of curses she’d acquired secondhand from Kenneth by the medium of Zerbst he finally decided to gag her as well. All she could do then was fume in silence.

Her hands were currently bound behind her but she knew that wouldn’t last. As unpleasant a situation as this seemed Louise knew she had one major advantage that Wardes didn’t know about. Even she hadn’t known about it until he’d dumped her across his saddle. Yet, even as they flew further and further from safety and her family, she praised her wonderful, horribly paranoid familiar.

The ride wouldn’t be especially pleasant with the sheath of the concealed dagger he’d somehow secreted in the front of her dress poking into her stomach… but Louise would endure until the bitter end.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  29. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Violently stabbing the cause of your current issue seems like the proper course of action.

30. GiftofLove

Mm, that's good evil. Poor Wardes. I wish you luck in your next life man.