1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exaltations, Plot and Crossovers

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Heaven Canceler, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Tanuki are just curious about the fairfolk.

moon so bright likes this.
  2. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

I just recalled something. These was a canon event from Dreams of First Age, called a "Time of Cascading Years" that can be used as reason for crossover.

For those that don't know what is that.

During First age there was growing tension between solars after they discovered that they can die of old age. For some Solar that meant that they whon't have enough time to sit and wait for occasion to take a sat as head of Solar Deliberative. They felt that they must start to act start more aggressively in sizing the power and getting rid of their rivals. One thing lead to another and eventually creation was at risk of being engulfed in civil war between solars. But then before this happened Creation broke into smaller pieces with celestial exalt or colony of dragon blooded on board and each piece was transported into different worlds. Exalted found themselves in need to fulfill certain task to return to Creation and restore it to it's whole state.

Sydonai likes this.
  3. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

I'm... reasonably sure Time of Cascading Years is happened during Primordial War, instead of Deliberative Civil War.

4. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

I checked my DoFA book. It was event that marked end of Thousand Struggles Era and beginning of Second Deliberative Era.

5. UrsaTempest

Ah, you are correct.

...in that case, I'm reasonably sure the effect is 'only' greatly dilated/shortened time in Creation, since I think Yu-Shan don't get the direct effect of Cascading Years.

6. Biigoh

Yu-Shan wasn't affected by Cascading Years... but they got locked out of it and time didn't quite work.... They required the exalts stuck in the Wyld during that time to get an accurate or somewhat accurate time measurement.

Sydonai and kinglugia like this.
  7. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

"Accurate measurement" and "Wyld" seems somewhat contradictory.

8. Biigoh

Basically, there were stations and expeditions in the Wyld and thus they had Anti-Wyld Devices/Artifacts to ensure that things worked properly... including clocks and calendars. :3

Sydonai likes this.
  9. MerelysSoul

MerelysSoul Warning: Tends to irreverent in most situations.

For idle curiosity.

How many Exalted could a non-Creation setting take before complete and utter chaos happens?

10. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

Plain and simple anwser.

Depends on which setting you want to put them in and your interpretation how esensce and charms ( especially ultimate attacks/defenses) work.

Sydonai likes this.
  11. MerelysSoul

Rethinking one of my works. Time and chronic annoyances has allowed me to figure some things out.

So anyways, the setting is Naruto and I am thinking 1 lunar, 1 infernal/abyssal, 1 sidereal and a circle of terrestrials. Feeling it is a bit much. What do you think?

12. Biigoh

Its a matter of plot. Honestly.... what sort of story do you want?

13. MerelysSoul

Essentially (he he), Naruto Exalted at the cost of Kurama. He must grasp this new situation as he finds out gods, demons and other things are starting to appear, causing great amount of problems. Luckily or unluckily, he is not alone. Most are his sworn enemies. In a world that is greatly changing with powerful foes, Naruto must learn to adapt while protecting his territory.

14. Biigoh

That plot. -_-

It kind of sounds bad.

Sydonai likes this.
  15. MerelysSoul

As I said, rethinking. Honestly, I want to do a Exalted/Naruto story.

One where I can go in depth with the politics and other parts of Naruto's world while Naruto faces new situation that no-one was ready for. Like what if Konoha lost it Tailed-Beast or how would they handle gaining an Exalt? How would Naruto handle no longer being a nuclear warhead, instead being a divine hunter-killer? What if their was an outside 'imperial force' attacking the Elemental Nations while being like Gods, Demons, Ghost and the rest are starting to awake? All the while a 'shadow war' is being fought for the soul of the world.

I know sloppy. Hence why I want to clean up, change things here and there, remove the bad parts. All to actually tell a story of both a Lunar protecting it territory and a Shinobi trying to make their place in a changing world. That is the story I want to tell, Naruto and Konoha's journey in a world where now people like Exalted exist and everything that goes with it.

So, to put it tactlessly, I asking for any help. I am a sidereal cabal when it comes idea. My idea is basically this: Naruto, Steward of Konoha.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  16. yourawoodbundle

yourawoodbundle Getting sticky.

that dont really make sense to me. since fate in exalted is a very speficic thing. It is located inside this Pocket dimension thing in the heaven place, and and is a giant machine basically. It is not at all like what fate in (most???) other stories is.

Sydonai likes this.
  17. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

Well other settings wouldn't have any motes which would mean that most Exalts wouldn't be able to do much of anything impressive too.

Sometimes you have to make some shit up and stuff to not have half or more of a person't super powers be useless in a crossover.

18. UrsaTempest

I mean, if you want to write Sidereal being so hard in crossover, be my guest... but why would you? Help yourself and make it so they can interface with local fate-equivalent. Maybe to hilarious effect, even, but they still can.

You can handwave it by making Exalt's shard generate said mote, though. So, not that hard.

MerelysSoul likes this.
  19. yourawoodbundle

yourawoodbundle Getting sticky.

you can get motes via stunting, even in lpaces where you dont normaly regain them.

20. UrsaTempest

It's OOC stipulation, though, to encourage player making things interesting.

21. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Only if the author is a fucking idiot. Would you do, say, a Star Wars crossover and suddenly have Luke not be a Jedi anymore because there's no Force in the new universe? No? Then why would you ever do the same thing with motes?

And completely setting aside the principal of the matter, in gameplay all they really amount to is your supernatural stamina meter unless you get really deep into the lore and physics of Creation, so in 9 out of 10 stories their presence or absence would be totally irrelevant.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    John At Dawn and Sydonai like this.
  22. Heaven Canceler

Actually, I could see that being a pretty interesting story if done right. Luke drops into standard fantasy land due to a weird anomaly, now without his force powers he has to use different methods of dealing with his problems. Though honestly, Luke probably wouldn't have that many problems given most of his tricks aren't that fancy anyway. Now for Yoda it would suck, though I could see someone as old as him having some other skills to use in a situation where he has no access to the force. Anakin would have it better, he could probably do some fancy tech-making if he takes along some tools, maybe even tinker something up to reproduce the method that sent him there in the long run. During a big battle he manages to open a hole which gives him access to the force to combine with whatever he has been using to survive until now.... Maybe throw in some aesops about how being a Jedi isn't just about having superpowers.

Mind you, my argument here was simply that if people throw in motes into a crossover for seemingly no reason, they may just as well have a Sidereal get some amount of access to the local fate system or retcon it to be similar in some way or another.

So if in a story a character has no access to motes except the ones he had at the start and no way to regenerate them, they would not be much less powerful than if they had some? Huh, didn't expect that.

1986ctcel and Sydonai like this.
  23. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

More like motes shouldn’t even be mentioned at all. If an Exalt is low on fuel you should write it as them being physically exhausted, not as “oh no, my MP meter is empty.” The ability to fuck over the laws of causality and so on is intrinsic to the Exalted but that doesn’t mean it isn’t an effort to do so. That’s why I find it more helpful to think of your mote pool as a stamina gauge rather than a magic meter. It especially should not be treated as a game mechanic.

24. Heaven Canceler

I thought motes are a phenomenon/material that has been studied and researched in-universe?

Sydonai likes this.
  25. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

In 2e it was. 3E rolled things back on the basis that having everything be scientifically quantified was bad for the fantasy elements.

26. beast_regards

beast_regards The Ever-Ethereal Legal Loli

If you want protagonist to gain superpowers, Exaltation is a good excuse as any. If you don't like it, you can go back to mutated spider's bite or space whales, or what have you. I am certain one can come up with some unusual way character can gain powers.

Worm/Exalted crossover - and those aren't too common, I think, I've read two or three, aren't really bad. And if they are bad, they aren't bad because of Exaltation (as in-universe mechanic), but by bad writing in general.

Sydonai likes this.
  27. Sydonai

Sydonai Versed in the lewd.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  28. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

Most dies pretty swiftly though.

29. beast_regards

beast_regards The Ever-Ethereal Legal Loli

SB or SV, obviously. You can't reliably filter them and I wasn't trying to look for those specifically.

30. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

*Walk in*Cough! Cough!* Oh man. This place definitely wasn't used for quite a while. I'm not 100% certain that it won't be necroning, but I need to put few ideas for Exalted crossover plots to vent my head. And this is closest thread related to putting Exalted ideas that are focusing on plot instead crunch. Other threads I found were created to discuss mechanic and homebrew ideas.

So let's begin.

Fate Series:

If we go with scenarios where one of sevral of the characters exalt then Orginal series or Grand Order are having quite the potential. There are obvious choices like Shirou or Rin becoming Solars or one can be a Solar and other a Lunar( Mate?). Also Sakura could be one to exalt as Abbysal ( if one of the worms sessions got a little out of hand and almost killed her or Solar if you want to trow her a bone. Shinji is Totally a candidate for Infernal. Most fitting would be Fiend IMHO.

In FGO case MC is most obvious one to Exalt.

If We going with Isekai option were, Eat from creation is one day transpoted to Nesuverse then there is plenty option who and how it happened. A Wyld or some reality Shaping artifact or magic gone very wrong or some faulty summoning on Nasuverse side is responsible. And any typemof Chosencould be used that way. Even Sidereal getting summoned to Chaldea and helping everyone to fix thier reality.

But what I want most in such crossover is to see interaction between Exalted and Heroic Spirits. A Heros of Earth metting with a hero of the dffrent world or interact with new type of hero of the modern timesthat will definitely bring great change. How would they feel, would they be fascinated, or hate it? Fate series is often talking about what it means to be a hero. And meeting Exaltd is definitely great opportunity to have dialog between two similar yet different beings.

RWBY:

Remnant is such perfect place to have Exalted xover. Teams are great candidates for Exalts or have Creation to get themselves isekai into this place. Solars would be beacons of hope, Lunars the ultimate survivors and protectors could easily pass for Faunus, Siderals have a lot of potential to be ones that help fix Remnant version of Yu Shan and make sure that Gods will start doing thier job, maybe fix how seasons work instead cursing random people with some twisted version of exaltation mixed with possession.

If we want to be a little technical Aura can be some native version of enlighten mortal, that gains few benefits exalted have like natural soak of damage and Semblance can be some uniqe to Remnant evocation or charm set of individual soul or something like that.

PMMM:

Well. Having Madoka exalt as Solar instead making contract would be awesome. As Zenith she might be able to help witches with burning thier Grief Seeds and send thier souls to afterlife. And I bet somee Occult charms be handy against them if they are anyweare near close to be undead or spirits. Or exalt as Eclipse and manipulate QB into GTFO from Earth and never coming back. Same can be dome if we have isekai exalt helping puellas to solve problem with Soul gems and Incubators.

Phew. Well that it for now. If Mods judge this as necro I'm sorry.

moon so bright and kinglugia like this.